Shane Wolford resigns as Jackson head coach

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Shane Wolford resigns as Jackson head coach

Post by Orange and Brown »

KarlAgathon wrote:I am sure that they could find a good coach that way. Maybe not the Rich Rodriguez or Urban Meyer that they are looking for, but I am sure there are good people in the system right now.

Wooten is in the system, isn't he? How many other members of last year's staff are in-district?

If some person in the community is more qualified than the in-the-district applicant, they should hire him (or her, for that matter).

School districts shouldn't make jobs for football coaches.

Schools are in the business of education; the football and basketball and band all that other stuff are just ways that the community gets the government to keep the kids entertained.

I don't know about your community, but in mine those things bring people together. I believe that if you are going to have sports in your school district then you should hire good coaches for those sports. In big and little towns all across the country high school sports bring communitys together. In this case we are talking about football. I know that all over SE Ohio people can't wait for the next season to start, esen before the current one ends. Highschool sports are better than any pro sport because these kids play because they love the game. They want to go to practice,lift and watch film. Most of the kids who play Fooball aren't going on to play at the next leval. They play because they love it. :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

I bet there is a good coach somewhere in the Jackson system.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

I agree, but that is also how teacher candidates are even able to get jobs.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

I think that whatever they do or who ever they hire will be in the best interest of the kids and the district.
:122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245
GO BUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Teachers should have to get teaching jobs based on teaching, without regard to the fact that they coach ball.

The majority of a teacher/coach's compensation (at least around here) comes from the teaching position. I would think that would be a district's hiring priority.

"Best interests of the kids" is a tricky notion.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

You would think teaching is the main priority.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

You would think teaching is the main priority

One would hope so, but we know the truth now, don't we?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

I agree with both of your points and I am not saying that I am an expert. School first, sports second. :oops:

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Part of hiring a coach is seeing how he can also benefit the school district as an educator. However, if you don't have an open position for a teacher, you can't hire him. I believe that's why Jackson's superintendant stated that they're going to examine possible openings when evaluating the situation. It's not like Jackson is going to create some mythical teaching job just for a coach.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

But you could see a situation where people licensed to teach a subject are denied a job in their area because the next coach is licensed in a different subject that has no positions open, so they gave him that position under a special 1-year licensure (ex. Special Education). I would be lying if I didn't say I wouldn't accept such a position though.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Did coach Wolford apply for the Warren job a few years back or am I thinking of another coach from Jackson?

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

BlizzardMan,

I understand what you mean. I would hope that wouldn't happen, but I'm sure it does quite often. A case like that wouldn't be as bad as completely creating a new position just so the coach has a job. I thought that was what was being suggested, but maybe I misunderstood.

Cap'n Scoop,

I have tried to think about it, but I just can't remember hearing about any of Jackson's coaches applying at Warren. Maybe someone else can answer your question.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

It's not like Jackson is going to create some mythical teaching job just for a coach.

... but didn't they do that for an Athletic Director when they brought in Snider?

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Jim Reynolds stepped down as AD and as a result, Snider was hired to fill the position. Other than that, I'm not really sure what you mean. Are you talking about what Reynolds did after stepping down as AD? If so, you're going to have to fill me in. Feel free to elaborate or even send me a PM.

Ben Buckles
Waterboy

Post by Ben Buckles »

If any coach from the area really takes a hard look at this job they will RUN, unless a nice stadium and a nice paycheck are all they want. Charles Farquar really laid the cards on the table . . . Jackson fans are so delusional as to their talent level it is out of this world. I know a lot about the history of Southeastern Ohio High School football. My user name will explain that to some Jackson fans. Shane Wolford was one of their own . . . a high school hero if you want to use that term. A Jackson boy that would never leave you for any other job. What did the Jackson faithful do . . . say some of the worst vile crap you could imagine about him. Give him no credit for anything good and blame him for all the bad!!! Does anyone think for a minute a coach from the "outside" will be given much time to rebuild? There is no talent and the numbers are way down. 43 kids 9 thru 12 on last year's team . . . a D2 school with those numbers! I don't blame him at all for quitting . . . two choices, stay around and let my wife hear the crap from the "bleacher idiots". The same idiots that maybe coached a year of pee wee or watches ESPN and think they know something about football, or . . . stay home and be with my little boys and wife. The choice is easy . . . no, not for Shane. He bleeds Jackson football. He deserved better. Shame on you ironmen fans . . . you let one of your own down in a big big way. The sad thing is, Shane will be in the stands next year cheering the team on just as hard as he coached them!

OSU Buckeyes 5
Waterboy

Post by OSU Buckeyes 5 »

I am not defending Jackson fans who have made rude comments toward Shane or his family. Most people are not in a position to be questioning coaches. But to make it seem like Jackson is the only place where this happens is just plain wrong. There are bad fans at every single school in Ohio. I am sure it is worse at some places, and maybe one of those places is Jackson, but people are making it out like no coach should ever want to coach at Jackson simply because of the opinions of parents or fans. I cant say that I blame Shane for getting sick of it though. He is an emotional guy that carried a lot of that criticism around with him.

Also I am wondering what exactly expectations should be at Jackson. I understand that the league is tougher now and that Jackson is going through a somewhat down period but should 5-5 be the norm? I believe Jackson has somewhere between 540 and 550 wins all time which makes them 1 of 40 or 50 teams in the state to have won more than 500 games. Seems to me that in a state with more than 700 football playing schools that Jackson has been pretty successful. Obviously it is wrong to expect 8+ wins every year but what should the Ironmen be shooting for?

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

Ben Buckles wrote:If any coach from the area really takes a hard look at this job they will RUN, unless a nice stadium and a nice paycheck are all they want. Charles Farquar really laid the cards on the table . . . Jackson fans are so delusional as to their talent level it is out of this world. I know a lot about the history of Southeastern Ohio High School football. My user name will explain that to some Jackson fans. Shane Wolford was one of their own . . . a high school hero if you want to use that term. A Jackson boy that would never leave you for any other job. What did the Jackson faithful do . . . say some of the worst vile crap you could imagine about him. Give him no credit for anything good and blame him for all the bad!!! Does anyone think for a minute a coach from the "outside" will be given much time to rebuild? There is no talent and the numbers are way down. 43 kids 9 thru 12 on last year's team . . . a D2 school with those numbers! I don't blame him at all for quitting . . . two choices, stay around and let my wife hear the crap from the "bleacher idiots". The same idiots that maybe coached a year of pee wee or watches ESPN and think they know something about football, or . . . stay home and be with my little boys and wife. The choice is easy . . . no, not for Shane. He bleeds Jackson football. He deserved better. Shame on you ironmen fans . . . you let one of your own down in a big big way. The sad thing is, Shane will be in the stands next year cheering the team on just as hard as he coached them!

Well said. Especially the part that I highlighted in your post.

The_Mole
Waterboy

Post by The_Mole »

I will say again... IF YOU HAVE NOT COACHED WITH HIM OR PLAYED FOR HIM YOU DON'T REALLY KNOW HIM. Yes he bleeds red, but he bleeds SHANE first. Numbers are down yes, but because kids had lost respect for him and hated to play for him. HE IS NOT GONE BECAUSE OF WINS / LOSS. He is gone due to "single-minded" bad decisions on and off the field. He might have ask for your opinion, but if it wasn't what he wanted to hear.... watch out!
A new coach should have nothing to fear about building a program at Jackson.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

The_Mole wrote:I will say again... IF YOU HAVE NOT COACHED WITH HIM OR PLAYED FOR HIM YOU DON'T REALLY KNOW HIM. Yes he bleeds red, but he bleeds SHANE first. Numbers are down yes, but because kids had lost respect for him and hated to play for him. HE IS NOT GONE BECAUSE OF WINS / LOSS. He is gone due to "single-minded" bad decisions on and off the field. He might have ask for your opinion, but if it wasn't what he wanted to hear.... watch out!
A new coach should have nothing to fear about building a program at Jackson.

Outstanding Post! Something many of us already knew. :-D

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

ironman02 wrote:Jim Reynolds stepped down as AD and as a result, Snider was hired to fill the position. Other than that, I'm not really sure what you mean. Are you talking about what Reynolds did after stepping down as AD? If so, you're going to have to fill me in. Feel free to elaborate or even send me a PM.

You are so great on knowledge of Jackson Football. I am serious, you should apply for the new HC Position. :-D

Return to “Football”