Derek Roback Offers

JohnKnight
Varsity

Re: Derek Roback Offers

Post by JohnKnight »

Guys, I am not selling Derek or trying to make him out to be the best anything, I don't have to.

The point here is this. He is a Div I Football Player and he will get a Full scholarship to play somewhere and he may play QB or he may play some other position but he will get the opportunity to prove he deserves the ride. He is a great kid and a great student and the negative talk on this website about him is out of line.

Colleges look for big athletic kids that are fast and he is and he excels at all the tests they put them through at the combines. That is what players are measured by.

seetherfan
Waterboy

Post by seetherfan »

do they play..NO.. u cant tell me he is as good as 5'11 troy smith (ohio state) or curtis painter 6'4 (purdue) u have to be a flat out STUD to play big ten if your not 6'5 or taller.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

http://msuspartans.cstv.com/sports/m-fo ... 09aab.html

You crack me up!

This guy is 6'3" Is MSU still in the big ten?

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

seetherfan
Waterboy

Post by seetherfan »

High School
Hoyer attended from Saint Ignatius High School (Cleveland). In High school, Hoyer also played baseball. He played pitcher, infielder and outfielder. In 2002, he compiled an 8-1 record with a 1.99 ERA (as a sophomore) while his team went to the 2002 Division I state championship. In 2002 in football, he completed 131 of 263 passes (.498) for 2,130 yards, 18 Touchdowns and 12 interceptions. In 2003, he completed 158-of-281 passes (.562) for 2,570 yards, 21 touchdowns and 13 interceptions while leading his team to a 9-3 record. Hoyer Participated in the 2004 Ohio All-Star Classic and the July 24 Ohio-Pennsylvania Big 33 All-Star Game. He was also a PrepStar All-American. Rivals.com ranked him 14 among the nation's top 20 pro-style quarterbacks by Rivals.com.

played for a d1 high school and had those numbers. only started 2 seasons at msu

seetherfan
Waterboy

Post by seetherfan »

Daryll Clark are u serious lol :lol: u are going to compair him to daryll clark im not even going to look up his high school stats

seetherfan
Waterboy

Post by seetherfan »

this is the minnesota kid

A 2006 graduate of Mounds View High School, Adam was three–time all–state performer and all–conference selection, was a 2005 Star Tribune and KARE-11 All–Metro selection. Adam completed 137 of 250 passes for 1,913 yards and 14 touchdowns his senior campaign. Over his career he completed 320 passes on 598 attempts for 4,771 yards and 35 touchdowns, and also rushed for 1,519 yards and 28 touchdowns. Was a four-time letterwinner in both basketball and baseball and also lettered in track, as well as a four-year Academic Award winner. Adam was ranked as the 14th best dual–threat quarterback in the nation by Rivals.com and the 32nd–best overall quarterback by Scout.com.[1]

not sure what div they are

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

and your point is? They were studs in High school? So what, youact like 6'3" isn''t big enough to play in the big ten. You have no idea what you are talking about.

We had a kid that was 6'6" and threw for over 6000 yards. He didn't get one Div I offer. He was all state in FB and BB 2 years in a row. He did go to NMSU has since been put on Scholarship and was on the roster last year. So the 6'5" thing is a mute point.

seetherfan
Waterboy

Post by seetherfan »

and if they wouldnt take walls what makes u think they will roback???? walls was taller had more yards and less int's. and better records

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

It's not all about stats! Scouts look at other tangibles, as well. Walls and Roback are both great kids and players. Roback is more marketable because he has the potential to play more than just QB. I wish them the both the best of luck.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Exactly, because he is more athletic! He ran a 11.2 hundred as a freshman, He compiled almost 2000 of offense on a team that went 4-6 and he has wowed them at the combines. That is what you are missing, those hs numbers and awards mean less than raw scores on certain tests like shuttle, long jump, vertical!

Dual-threat quarterback
Waverly (OH) Waverly

Ht: 6-foot-3
Wt: 210 lbs
Forty: 4.58 secs
Bench max: 235 pounds
Squat max: 365 pounds
Vertical: 34 inches
Shuttle: 4.3 secs
GPA: 4.0
ACT: 28
Class: 2010 (High School)

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/vi ... _key=66285

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Trooper wrote:It's not all about stats! Scouts look at other tangibles, as well. Walls and Roback are both great kids and players. Roback is more marketable because he has the potential to play more than just QB. I wish them the both the best of luck.

That cracks me up. I guess (again) the major colleges look for kids from a team that struggles to be a Northwest club.

hahaha

Of course it is about stats!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

JohnKnight wrote:Exactly, because he is more athletic! He ran a 11.2 hundred as a freshman, He compiled almost 2000 of offense on a team that went 4-6 and he has wowed them at the combines. That is what you are missing, those hs numbers and awards mean less than raw scores on certain tests like shuttle, long jump, vertical!

Dual-threat quarterback
Waverly (OH) Waverly

Ht: 6-foot-3
Wt: 210 lbs
Forty: 4.58 secs
Bench max: 235 pounds
Squat max: 365 pounds
Vertical: 34 inches
Shuttle: 4.3 secs
GPA: 4.0
ACT: 28
Class: 2010 (High School)

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/vi ... _key=66285

Those are good stats.......I dont know about the forty time. He is a fast kid, but I didnt see him being that fast.

Ace
Freshman Team

Post by Ace »

Bleeding Red,
College scouts DO NOT go on stats alone. Why do you keep saying this? Colleges aren't going to looks at Roback's stats from the Northwest game and turn him away. Even though his stats weren't good that game, he did find a way to lead Waverly to victory. Let's not forget the playing conditions that game as well. It rained all day and all night. Have you ever tried throwing a water-logged football covered in mud? It's not an easy task.

How can people get on here and say that Roback is not D1 material when he's already been offered a scholarship as a junior? What makes you guys experts over the real recruiters? You're probably the same dads who sit in the stands and yell at the coaches because you know more than them. He has proven is ability in camps, combines, and games. Most people on here are focusing on stats and team records. You people at like no one has ever played college football from high school with a losing record. Quit focusing on that stuff and look at his ATHLETIC ability not just his quarterback abilities. That is why he is being recruited. Roback might play QB in college or he might play WR or return kicks or play defense. Who knows? However, that for him and his family to decide in order to make the right choice of where he wants to attend college. His stats from rivals.com are legit. Those are from last year. They will be more impressive this year.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Ace wrote:Bleeding Red,
College scouts DO NOT go on stats alone. Why do you keep saying this? Colleges aren't going to looks at Roback's stats from the Northwest game and turn him away. Even though his stats weren't good that game, he did find a way to lead Waverly to victory. Let's not forget the playing conditions that game as well. It rained all day and all night. Have you ever tried throwing a water-logged football covered in mud? It's not an easy task.

How can people get on here and say that Roback is not D1 material when he's already been offered a scholarship as a junior? What makes you guys experts over the real recruiters? You're probably the same dads who sit in the stands and yell at the coaches because you know more than them. He has proven is ability in camps, combines, and games. Most people on here are focusing on stats and team records. You people at like no one has ever played college football from high school with a losing record. Quit focusing on that stuff and look at his ATHLETIC ability not just his quarterback abilities. That is why he is being recruited. Roback might play QB in college or he might play WR or return kicks or play defense. Who knows? However, that for him and his family to decide in order to make the right choice of where he wants to attend college. His stats from rivals.com are legit. Those are from last year. They will be more impressive this year.

I believe most D1 coaches are going to realize that if you cant compete in the SOC you are not going to compete in the BIG TEN.

Come on man.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Bleeding Red,
This thread is about his OFFERS, not a debate over his D1 worthiness.
What makes you such the expert anyway?

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

Bleeding Red wrote:I believe most D1 coaches are going to realize that if you cant compete in the SOC you are not going to compete in the BIG TEN.

Come on man.

Last time I checked, football was played with 11 players on the field from each team, not 1. It takes a team to compete in the S.O.C., or any other conference, and not just 1 player. Scouts are able to look beyond a team's record to see talent and potential. You think that every player on scholarship came from a high school team that dominated their conference? Nope.

Bleeding Red wrote:
Trooper wrote:It's not all about stats! Scouts look at other tangibles, as well. Walls and Roback are both great kids and players. Roback is more marketable because he has the potential to play more than just QB. I wish them the both the best of luck.

That cracks me up. I guess (again) the major colleges look for kids from a team that struggles to be a Northwest club.

hahaha

Of course it is about stats!

So, it's all about stats? Let's look at 2 of the nation's top college QBs' stats from their senior year of high school:

Sam Bradford - Oklahoma
2,029 yards and 17 TDs in 12 games

Mark Sanchez - USC
2,380 yards and 23 TDs in 14 games

Ok, since it's all about stats, then why didn't Trevor Walls get offered by one of these schools or any other schools? After all, his stats were better than Bradford's and Sanchez's. I'm not saying he should have been offered, but based on your analysis, he should've. So no, it's not all about stats!

Ace
Freshman Team

Post by Ace »

Bleeding Red,
I'm at a loss for words trying to understand where you are coming from. So, you honestly believe that Derek Roback is not a D1 prospect? His struggles against Northwest didn't deter OU from offering him. College coaches can turn you into any kind of player they want. If Roback strictly a WR, you wouldn't even be arguing. His stats last year AS A SOPHOMORE were very good. You fail to realize that this was Roback's first year of playing varsity QB, which is very difficult even for the best of the best. Like I've already said, look at his athletic abilities. Tell me some players in this area who you would recruit over him based on athletic ability. Have you ever played, coached, or recruited?

I believe you wouldn't be so negative if he was playing for your team. And if he wasn't as good as what everyone thinks, then why is he on top 10 list of players to watch in the class of 2010 according to Rivals. But, hey, what do they know? http://ohiostate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=704923

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

I have played against Derek and during those games and a couple I have see I cant honestly get on here and say I believed that he was D-1 material...he never surprised me with any amazing skills...he was just as good as the rest of us...his size and combine results helped alot and more importantly his work ethic and drive to improve everyday.

This all reminds me of Prior from portsmouth or however you spell his name...he is going to Florida State correct? IMO he wasnt even the best player for his position in the area and yet he gets an offer form FSU?! His size and things he did at the combines impressed the scouts and gave him a huge advantage over a smaller guy who performed better.

Derek is a great player and deserves every offer he gets and I know where ever he goes he will work his tail off to succeed

Return to “Football”