Derek Roback Offers

roundingthird
JV Team

Re: Derek Roback Offers

Post by roundingthird »

irish08-Obviously you have NO CLUE to what you are talking about. Derek is the BEST athlete in southern ohio, no doubt about it. Just for kicks, I would like to hear who you think might be on his "level".

And saying that "he has done nothing to impress anyone" is probably one of the dumbest things I have EVER seen wrote on this whole forum. I guess he has done enough to impress Ohio University. Enough for Ohio State, Illinois, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Penn State, I could go on and on, they have seen "enough" to invite him to games and Ohio has seen enough to offer him a SCHOLARSHIP.

Stop trying to downplay the kid, Derek is a heck of a athlete and on top of that he is a very well conducted young man.

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

Going to these camps and winning MVP honors doesn't make him a D-I prospect. However, getting offered a football scholarship from Ohio University does make him a D-I prospect. Derek has accomplished both. Derek visited Ohio State 2 times in the fall, as well as OU, Michigan, Purdue, Notre Dame, Illinois, and Louisville. I'm sure I missed a few. I bet if he visited those schools, then he also must have declined some invites to other D-I schools. It's a good thing Derek doesn't have to impress the eyes of some people in Southern Ohio in order to get a scholarship. Those schools that have Derek on their radar must not know much about football and talent.

Ace
Freshman Team

Post by Ace »

irish,
No one said that hard work and attending big college football camps automatically makes you a D1 prospect. He has proven himself very well at these elite camps and combines. I'm not denying that there are good athletes in southern Ohio. Who are the ones that you are referring to? If we are talking about pure athletes, I'd be willing to say that Roback is the best in the area.

How can you say that Roback has done nothing to impress anyone? He has obviously done something to impress some of the top programs in the nation. He has already attended Ohio State, Michigan, Ohio, Notre Dame, Purdue, Illinois, and Louisville. He was invited to West Virginia but did not attend. He also received invites from Rutgers, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Northwestern, Toledo, Georgia Tech, Oregon, and Duke. He was unable to accept any of those invite offers. Keep in mind that these are all unofficial visits since Derek is only a junior. He has already received an official scholarship from Ohio University.

You obviously don't know what you're talking about when it comes to college talent.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Some people don't have a clue!

irish08
Riding the Bench

Post by irish08 »

I guess he must be an OUTSTANDING FLAG FOOTBALL PLAYER because some of those colleges have pretty good flag football programs. because when it comes to real football he has no clue. he panics in the pocket, and he is afraid to take a hit and those colleges must have a letter quota if he is getting them. I'm not trying to be mean but wavery fans have no clue when it comes to football talent, they think that a couple of letters means something but when he goes out his senior year and does not produce then we will talk and see what colleges are sending "invites "his way because there is not talent in the waverly schools. that deserves a scholarship yet?

irish08
Riding the Bench

Post by irish08 »

roundingthird to respond to your question lets try Jesse Sloan from Oakhill,Travis Huff from Jackson, Patrick Angle from Logan, and Caleb Mcknight from Chillicothe and the whole freshman class at Jackson. Do I need to go on? So maybe You should stick to baseball.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

There are plenty of kids who are just as good as Roback around here but his overall size and talent give him more "potential" to be a D-1 athlete...no denying the kid is a great athlete, I know because I played against him throughout high school.

I could probably name about 5 athletes who are on the same level talent wise as Roback but his size gives him the advantage when concerning possible D-1 recruitment

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

irish08 wrote:I guess he must be an OUTSTANDING FLAG FOOTBALL PLAYER because some of those colleges have pretty good flag football programs. because when it comes to real football he has no clue. he panics in the pocket, and he is afraid to take a hit and those colleges must have a letter quota if he is getting them. I'm not trying to be mean but wavery fans have no clue when it comes to football talent, they think that a couple of letters means something but when he goes out his senior year and does not produce then we will talk and see what colleges are sending "invites "his way because there is not talent in the waverly schools. that deserves a scholarship yet?

Really???

irish08 wrote:roundingthird to respond to your question lets try Jesse Sloan from Oakhill,Travis Huff from Jackson, Patrick Angle from Logan, and Caleb Mcknight from Chillicothe and the whole freshman class at Jackson. Do I need to go on? So maybe You should stick to baseball.

Who is Caleb Mcknight??? I've heard of Caleb Knights. Not that they're not good, but how many D-I offers do those players have that you've mentioned? And the whole freshmen class at Jackson is better than Roback? If I had to, I could probably tell you what grade you're in and what school you attend. Wow. I really don't know what to say. I'm honestly at a loss for words.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Maybe those school put a lot of stock in this achievement!
http://scoutcombines.scout.com/a.z?s=45 ... 56198.html

Wonder how his name got on this list and why are there no other Southern Ohio names?
http://ohiostate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=704923

There are other great athletes in our AREA but Derek has been invited and visited ND,OSU, Purdue, Michigan, WV. I guess they are all planning to add Flag Football!

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

I think if more area kids went to combines like Roback did then we would see more D-1 athletes

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

If a Bullfrog had wings.......... :lol:

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

Derek is a great player and obvious D-1 potential but to think that he is levels above every player in this area is just absurd...the kid is 6'2''+ and 200+ pounds and that plays a huge factor in how schools look at him...Roback is arguably one of the best player in the SOCII but there are others that are just as good talent-wise

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Give me your list and where they have been invited to visit.

Bottom line is he has been there and done that. He has gone to the camps and combines and excelled. That is the bottom line and that is the way you do it. Not sit around and gripe at how your coach hasn't been able to get you a D-I scholarship. The game has changed and that is why very few southern Ohio kids get offered. I don't like the system but THAT is the system!

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

JohnKnight wrote:Give me your list and where they have been invited to visit.

Bottom line is he has been there and done that. He has gone to the camps and combines and excelled. That is the bottom line and that is the way you do it. Not sit around and gripe at how your coach hasn't been able to get you a D-I scholarship. The game has changed and that is why very few southern Ohio kids get offered. I don't like the system but THAT is the system!

You dont measure greatness by who has them offers...I will take 30-50 mediocre players who find ways to win games and confrence championships over one D-1 player.

And maybe Waverly has kids that gripe about the coach not getting them scholarships but every kids I knew from Burg never did...in fact our coach put in hours upon hours into helping to secure our college hopes - both academic and athletic.

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

I didn't know we were measuring greatness. The discussion is about Derek Roback and whether he is D-1 material or not. The proof is in the pudding as they say. You can rationalize whatever you want. He has what the D-Is are looking for, size and athletic ability. So let's stay on point here.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

This thread is about Derek Roback and his college offers. It is NOT about other players in southern Ohio or anywhere else.
Start another thread if you want to talk about other players.

Derek Roback is D1 material PERIOD!

seetherfan
Waterboy

Post by seetherfan »

he could go play for ohio to play QB but to even say he could go play big 10 ball (AS A QB) is crazy. he is only 6'2 most QB'S in the big ten are 6'5 or 6'6. he has a better chance at WR as far as any major D1 school

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

Im sorry half the posts say are saying he is the best player in the area...and others actually compare him to other players

He should switch to reciever like seetherfan stated...he will have a greater chance to succeed IMO

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Do you people know I have the internet? Derek is 6'3" if it matters.

Look at the QBs on this roster

http://purduesports.cstv.com/sports/m-f ... l-mtt.html

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/SportS ... PSID=87746

Even the Buckeyes have a couple of 6'2" QBs on the roster.

Return to “Football”