SE

Re: OVC

Post by boilermaker »

Coal Grove and South Point have lost to 7 teams on that list. :roll:

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

They'd beat over half the teams on that page.
Good job - you can do math. You're from Wellston - what would you know about the OVC?

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Goal Grove and South Point are 6-7 on that page,Coal Grove beat a Ky team I beleive. I didnt realize you had to be from Coal Grove to follow or understand the OVC.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Coal Grove beat Newport, Ky.
Didn't say it wasn't possible to follow it, but there's a difference between looking at records at actually seeing a team play.
6-7 is nearly .500. Combine the records of the teams that defeated Coal Grove and South Point and you'll see why they lost the 7 games....

Pioneer_PA
Freshman Team

Post by Pioneer_PA »

You know, I was wondering if the OVC was down or if the teams they played out of conference were just all up. Chesapeake and Rock Hill...traditional OVC powers...aren't fairing as well as in the past. South Point seems to be better, and Fairland is one of those teams that can beat anyone and look good doing it...or lose to anyone and look real bad in doing so. Coal Grove is steady.

Here are the records of the non-OVC opponents of the OVC teams:

Coal Grove
Teams defeated: 7-8
Teams lost to: 18-6
TOTAL: 25-14

Chesapeake
Teams defeated: 9-7
Teams lost to: 18-4
TOTAL: 27-11

Fairland
Teams defeated: 0-0
Teams lost to: 25-4
TOTAL: 25-4

River Valley
Teams defeated: 7-9
Teams lost to: 17-7
TOTAL: 24-16

Rock Hill
Teams defeated: 0-0
Teams lost to: 31-9
TOTAL: 31-9

South Point
Teams defeated: 10-5
Teams lost to: 17-7
TOTAL: 27-12

Guys, these numbers are just ridiculous. Adding up the non-conference opponents records, those teams are 159-66. Nearly 100 games OVER .500! That's an incredible winning clip of 70.7%.

There's the information you need. The OVC isn't weak. It just ran into a buzzsaw of non-conference teams.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Thank you Pioneer!

Nice to know that someone out there cares to do the math.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Those numbers above just prove our point. The only games the OVC teams seem to be able to win are against each other which shows that the other leagues are stronger and the OVC is weaker.

I remember a few years back that Chesapeake finished 8-2 or 9-1 and hosted a first round game against a Burg team that wasn't very strong that season and finished 6-4 I think. We heard all week about how fast the Peake was and how strong they were and the Pirates went up there and demolished the Panthers. So even when they have a team that is supposed to be strong they can't compete outside their own league.

Face it, the OVC just isn't a strong conference. How many times has Wheelersburg knocked off a #1 ranked Chesapeake team in basketball? I know of at least twice and one of those was in the Peakes first sectional game at Rock Hill High School when they were 20-0 and the Burg was 11-9.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Look at my two-year old posts on the basketball thread - I've always said Chesapeake Basketball was overrated. Not that it has ANYTHING TO DO WITH FOOTBALL...
Coal Grove, South Point, and now I'm even going to include Fairland would beat over half the teams you wrote down. We get it: you're a Wheelersburg fan - congrats on all your success. It must be nice to be nice to be among "gods" of Southeastern Ohio Athletics.
The OVC is not the weakest conference in SE Ohio and to say that it is just shows you don't know what you're talking about...

Pioneer_PA
Freshman Team

Post by Pioneer_PA »

I also remember a 2002 Chesapeake team that went 7-3 and getting a #5 seed before advancing to the Regional final.

In 2003, Chesapeake went 8-2...so did Wheelersburg. Wheelersburg whipped the 'Peake.

Truthfully, Chesapeake was good in 1999, 2000 and 2004. I thought 2002 was the worst Chesapeake team I'd seen of the group but they went the furthest. The playoffs are a funny thing.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

fuzzhead wrote:Look at my two-year old posts on the basketball thread - I've always said Chesapeake Basketball was overrated. Not that it has ANYTHING TO DO WITH FOOTBALL...
Coal Grove, South Point, and now I'm even going to include Fairland would beat over half the teams you wrote down. We get it: you're a Wheelersburg fan - congrats on all your success. It must be nice to be nice to be among "gods" of Southeastern Ohio Athletics.
The OVC is not the weakest conference in SE Ohio and to say that it is just shows you don't know what you're talking about...

Yes it is. Maybe someday an OVC team will reach these heights. lol

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Here's the Burgs records against the OVC schools.

South Point 13 wins 1 loss
Rock Hill 10 wins 3 losses
Fairland 4 wins 1 loss
Chesapeake 5 wins 0 losses
Coal Grove 15 wins 8 losses

Combined 47-13

Looks like the Pirates have owned the OVC over the years.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:Those numbers above just prove our point. The only games the OVC teams seem to be able to win are against each other which shows that the other leagues are stronger and the OVC is weaker.

I remember a few years back that Chesapeake finished 8-2 or 9-1 and hosted a first round game against a Burg team that wasn't very strong that season and finished 6-4 I think. We heard all week about how fast the Peake was and how strong they were and the Pirates went up there and demolished the Panthers. So even when they have a team that is supposed to be strong they can't compete outside their own league.

Face it, the OVC just isn't a strong conference. How many times has Wheelersburg knocked off a #1 ranked Chesapeake team in basketball? I know of at least twice and one of those was in the Peakes first sectional game at Rock Hill High School when they were 20-0 and the Burg was 11-9.

Of course when you get that great Scioto County officiating you are going to lose close games, I still say we could have beaten Minford but some of the calls when we were ready to score were really bad.

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

Here's a little something,

In the 2006 season, Coal Grove thrashed Portsmouth East going into the locker room at halftime up 48-0 with the jv playing the entire second half. The following year, East dropped the Grove from their schedule and picked up another team. In that year they went 10-0 in the regular season.

Nobody can tell me that they got THAT MUCH BETTER in one year. It is just simply a different grade of football, just like tigercannon71 would argue that Ironton and the SEOAL is a different grade of football than the OVC.

My point here is that it actually makes me laugh when i hear that the SOC1 is better than the OVC. Don't get me wrong, i am not picking on Portsmouth East or any of the teams in that conference, but just don't even begin to act like the OVC is the worst conference in SEO.

Also, StonewallJackson89's post was a little much with the language and still no apology. By no means are the people that post on SEOP saints, but that was a little uncalled for.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Hey I sent Stonewall an apology message,I was a bit vocal!I tend to get fired up sometimes! :lol:

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

if transfers were not ever allowed to play sports after they transfered then ironton and burg would not have the history that they have

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Look I played, coached, and recruited in the OVC and I can tell you the conference is not that strong, probably as weak in the past 5 years as I have ever seen it. Don't get me wrong, cause I love SEO football, but the conference is not conpetitive.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

PurpleBlood1 wrote:Look I played, coached, and recruited in the OVC and I can tell you the conference is not that strong, probably as weak in the past 5 years as I have ever seen it. Don't get me wrong, cause I love SEO football, but the conference is not conpetitive.

recruited???????????

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

[quote="Burg_Grad_77"]

Coal Grove 15 wins 8 losses
[quote]

Where are you getting this information?

Wheelersburg's REAL record against Coal Grove: 15-11-2

And Buckeyeshots is right about the SOCI. To say the SOC I is better/even with the OVC shows: A) You're a rabid anti-OVCer B) You're totally ignorant.
Also - the TVC Hocking is weaker than the OVC.

StonewallJackson89
Riding the Bench

Post by StonewallJackson89 »

Thanks for all the good comparisons of conferences. Sorry about my outburst with the almost complete curse words. I felt like I was being attacked and I lashed out. Sorry to anyone who was offended, I just want to talk about some good ole smash mouth football.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Good to see ya back Stonewall!Sorry about my outburst too! ;-) Something that you have to realize about TVC Hocking and SOC 1 is that they are mostly D-6 schools!Where as OVC schools are mostly D-4 except for Coal Grove and Peake who are D-5.So comparing the 2conferences is not really a good comparison!I mean for example if South Point were to play say Eastern from TVC,It would be a massacre!Nothing againist Eastern but thats just a fact! ;-)

Return to “Football”