#8 Coal Grove (6-3) @ #1 Lucasville Valley (10-0)

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

Stu Pedasso
Waterboy

Re: #8 Coal Grove (6-3) @ #1 Lucasville Valley (10-0)

Post by Stu Pedasso »

:-D I am probably going to step on some toes ,but difference in conference's dictates to me Valley rolls to week 12. IMHO , the SOC 2 is just an all around "Bear" with 3 teams still playing in week11

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Its pretty fair and easy to put Valley on upset alert for this game. One being the fact their offense has had trouble moving the ball. Also, Coal Grove made many mistakes that led to their demise the last game. Both of those combined with the fact that is difficult to beat the same team twice, is a pretty good reason to bet the Indians will have their hands full. But, Valley is the number one seed, won 10 games and a league title, held their league opponents to 26 points, and has home field advantage. Valley is a very good team, the only thing I worry about is complacency. Its easy to be complacent when you won the league and have had so much success when you have been doubted. I'm sure it will be a dog fight, but I say valley on top 15-8.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

2trap_4ever wrote:The Groves line has truly improved as the year has gone on and I do believe they are just now hitting their stride. Now, am I going to come on here and say we will beat Valley,,,,no,,,,but I will say that this game has the makings of being a really close game, it will all depend on turnovers and how the Grove's offense is run. If the Grove comes in with the same gameplan that they had in week three which was to throw the ball all over the place then the same results will most likely happen. Now, if the Grove keeps doing what they have been doing which is playing Coal Grove football, clock controlling running game then this game has the chance of being close. A high powered offense can't score if it is on the sidelines.

Now, one other thing I must say because I cannot hold it in any more. This is to all the people who call the OVC the worst conference in high school football, Coal Grove made the playoffs by basically winning their conference games, which means those same teams had to beat someone to give us the points to get in, so if a conference is that bad their conference champ probably shouldn't have made the playoffs, I believe the OVC is better than some people give it credit for. Are we the best,,,,no,,,,,but the potential is their and it will show itself in due time.
I think coal grove might have a very fine qb and decent overall offense, however outside of the OVC I doubt it will matter...cg and the rest of the OVC will always be striving for mediocre...and the OVC crown will always be their highest rung on the ladder unless they allow better teams in or do away with the conference all together...this year again will be first round and out...next year it might get a bit easier...however with the new seven divisions..it won't make the OVC better...they will still not beat any teams that are above mediocre...my prediction...Zack Shope won't need to save the game this week for valley...Valley 49-CG 14
Last edited by IBTT on Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

sider wrote:Its pretty fair and easy to put Valley on upset alert for this game. One being the fact their offense has had trouble moving the ball. Also, Coal Grove made many mistakes that led to their demise the last game. Both of those combined with the fact that is difficult to beat the same team twice, is a pretty good reason to bet the Indians will have their hands full. But, Valley is the number one seed, won 10 games and a league title, held their league opponents to 26 points, and has home field advantage. Valley is a very good team, the only thing I worry about is complacency. Its easy to be complacent when you won the league and have had so much success when you have been doubted. I'm sure it will be a dog fight, but I say valley on top 15-8.
Valley had trouble moving the ball against Minford and Burg. Both have tremendous defenses.

Coal Grove isnt either of those teams defensively.

When leaving the Minford/Valley game I was talking to 3 Valley fans who have watched all of the Valley games this year. They all said that Valley's defense played by far their best game of the year Friday vs Minford.

That means big trouble for Coal Grove. Seems like Valley's defense is peaking right on time.

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

2trap_4ever wrote:The Groves line has truly improved as the year has gone on and I do believe they are just now hitting their stride. Now, am I going to come on here and say we will beat Valley,,,,no,,,,but I will say that this game has the makings of being a really close game, it will all depend on turnovers and how the Grove's offense is run. If the Grove comes in with the same gameplan that they had in week three which was to throw the ball all over the place then the same results will most likely happen. Now, if the Grove keeps doing what they have been doing which is playing Coal Grove football, clock controlling running game then this game has the chance of being close. A high powered offense can't score if it is on the sidelines.

Now, one other thing I must say because I cannot hold it in any more. This is to all the people who call the OVC the worst conference in high school football, Coal Grove made the playoffs by basically winning their conference games, which means those same teams had to beat someone to give us the points to get in, so if a conference is that bad their conference champ probably shouldn't have made the playoffs, I believe the OVC is better than some people give it credit for. Are we the best,,,,no,,,,,but the potential is their and it will show itself in due time.
See to me that shows how weak the OVC is. You win the OVC and u sneak in at the 8 spot. Minford comes in 3rd in the SOC and are hosting in week 11 in region 15.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Alitown wrote:

See to me that shows how weak the OVC is. You win the OVC and u sneak in at the 8 spot. Minford comes in 3rd in the SOC and are hosting in week 11 in region 15.
I can't see it being a school I would want to showcase my childs talents at...if I do my best we can be the OVC Champs and might slip in and make the first round of the playoff before getting pounded?

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

Just curious as I was not able to attend the Valley-Minford game... who was the Valley players out sick? Glad to hear they will be back..

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

lineman7 wrote:Just curious as I was not able to attend the Valley-Minford game... who was the Valley players out sick? Glad to hear they will be back..
I was told by a fan it was the center and tackle

Ichthus
Waterboy

Post by Ichthus »

Brandon Jordan #25 great starting line backer has made big stops all year and Kyle Miller(One of the twins) to name two that were out. Miller is a Junior and starts both sides also. BIG on "o" line.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

R0Y MUNSON wrote:Scoot over Chicken Coop and Jesco White Roy Munson has jumped on the Valley bandwagon. Take this game to the house Valley Indians, Coal Grove is nothing more than a formality.
From looking at some of MUNSONs other posts...I've learned he don't know much about sports or grammar...as far as this game I do however have to agree...I think Valley will win big...however..as far as the best defense in Southern Ohio...I believe Valley is far from that...I believe everyone who watched last weeks Minford game would have to agree that Valley was very fortunate that Minford turned the ball over numerous times in critical scoring drives close to the goal...might I call it bad luck, bad coaching or just bad decisions...it wasn't defense that stopped the scoring.

footballfan
JV Team

Post by footballfan »

IBTT wrote:
Alitown wrote:

I can't see it being a school I would want to showcase my childs talents at...if I do my best we can be the OVC Champs and might slip in and make the first round of the playoff before getting pounded?
Lol....showcasing your child in southern Ohio? Getting embarrassed by Hartley and watterson was a heck of a showcase. Good luck to both teams.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

They at least get football when reading my posts.............something you dream about... :122246

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Should be a great game! CG doesnt have that upset potential on paper because of the record and conference, like, lets say LU vs Burg. But they have played Valley and they did move the ball against them. I think Valley wins at home and advances. They have last yrs success to feed on and be motivated. But if they are stuck on their SOC success, watch out. CG is a better team than they saw in week 3. And the fact they destroyed Chesy in week 9 is a good indicator. Good luck to Valley! SOC BABY!

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Valleys defense is playing better than anyone right now they only gave up 7 points to burg and minford combined they have really came together since the start of the year how can anyone say valleys offense has been struggling they had over 200 yards the last 2 games

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

izladoom wrote:Valleys defense is playing better than anyone right now they only gave up 7 points to burg and minford combined they have really came together since the start of the year how can anyone say valleys offense has been struggling they had over 200 yards the last 2 games
Who is saying Valleys offense is struggling? They played two great defenses the last two weeks and only scored 16 points. But they won! All that counts. Great team! But I would have to say, Burg and Minford had their chances near valleys goal line. Just couldnt get it in!!

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

IBTT wrote:
R0Y MUNSON wrote:Scoot over Chicken Coop and Jesco White Roy Munson has jumped on the Valley bandwagon. Take this game to the house Valley Indians, Coal Grove is nothing more than a formality.
From looking at some of MUNSONs other posts...I've learned he don't know much about sports or grammar...as far as this game I do however have to agree...I think Valley will win big...however..as far as the best defense in Southern Ohio...I believe Valley is far from that...I believe everyone who watched last weeks Minford game would have to agree that Valley was very fortunate that Minford turned the ball over numerous times in critical scoring drives close to the goal...might I call it bad luck, bad coaching or just bad decisions...it wasn't defense that stopped the scoring.

Just curious... who is the best defense in Southern Ohio right now then? If you say Ironton you are going to be embarrased... they gave up 62 which auto disqualifies them....

Valley was playing without 2-3 starters vs. Minford and shut them out. They held Burg to 7 points, Ironton gave up 28 to them?

Valley is definitely playing the best defense in Southern Ohio right now.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Mr. MUNSON...I never said your schedule makes your team...that is nit at all true...what is true is that when you play weak competition, many times an athletes tends to play to that mediocre level...ironton this year had the toughest schedule in div 4 football, with that said, they only won 6 of 9 games. I feel, and this is only my opinion, that by playing these tough teams, even though they got blasted by two of them, that it will help them to understand what they have to do to beat that tough of competition.

With that said, by playing those teams you risk getting crucial playwright injured. Ironton had that this season, however, who's to say it wouldn't have happened had they played an soc schedule?...Valley this season took the other aspect this season and played a very weak schedule...will it make a difference..I say yes...

The variable is did the team have athletes that can competition at the state championship level?...Do they have enough of them?..depth...watching Hartley...they are like a small college, with an offensive, defence and separate special teams....It's tough to compete when you only have maybe five top notch athletes compared to a team that has 20.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

lineman7 wrote:
IBTT wrote:

Just curious... who is the best defense in Southern Ohio right now then? If you say Ironton you are going to be embarrased... they gave up 62 which auto disqualifies them....

Valley was playing without 2-3 starters vs. Minford and shut them out. They held Burg to 7 points, Ironton gave up 28 to them?

Just stop. Ironton smashed the Oaks with many of their skill players out for that game 28-0. Minford barley survived the game vs the Oaks. Valley barely survived the wins vs burg and Minford. Apples to Oranges still. But we will get Ironton soon!!

Just stop. Ironton got beat by 62 to prob the best team in Ohio, regardless of division except div 1. They beat Oak hill 28-0 without most of their skill players. Ill just stop there

Last edited by seasick80 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

lineman7 wrote:
IBTT wrote:

I believe that's a loaded question, it all looks good on paper until you look at who Valley has played. I would have to say the OVC probably is the weakest conference in southern Ohio if not the state and coal grove actually played a tougher schedule than Valley. If Valley was playing tough competition week in week out then we could put them in the running. To compare what one team did in the first game of the season to the next to last means nearly nothing. By the time Valley played Burg they knew what Burg had...Ironton was starting a season with a new coach...and still beat the toughest team that Valley faced all season.

I feel Valley wins big this week, but look for cg to score at least twice...good luck Indians...I hope you make it to state.

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

Just curious... who is the best defense in Southern Ohio right now then? If you say Ironton you are going to be embarrassed... they gave up 62 which auto disqualifies them....

I believe that's a loaded question, it all looks good on paper until you look at who Valley has played. I would have to say the OVC probably is the weakest conference in southern Ohio if not the state and coal grove actually played a tougher schedule than Valley. If Valley was playing tough competition week in week out then we could put them in the running. To compare what one team did in the first game of the season to the next to last means nearly nothing. By the time Valley played Burg they knew what Burg had...Ironton was starting a season with a new coach...and still beat the toughest team that Valley faced all season.

I feel Valley wins big this week, but look for cg to score at least twice...good luck Indians...I hope you make it to state.

You did not answer the question, what team in Southern Ohio is playing better defense right now than Valley? Schedule does not matter when you are talking about right now, which is what the question asked was. They gave up 7 points to Burg and 0 to Minford without 3 starters on defense. They also shut out West and gave up 7 points to Waverly who has an above average offense.

Return to “Football”