WK 6 Ironton @ Chillicothe

someoverkill
JV Team

Re: WK 6 Ironton @ Chillicothe

Post by someoverkill »

I'd say all 3 of the D6 schools that Coldwater plays could compete well in the SEOAL.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Loyaldevilfan,

One thing for sure, Ironton has a history of playing some top notch schools in it's history, like Columbus Desales, Bishop Watterson, Lancaster, and many more. I can't wait to see our CAVS in action Friday. Hopefully they will have a game plan together to keep the winning streak going and move the ball foward for an outstanding SEOAL Season.

One game at a time CAVS :!:

GO CAVS :!: :-D

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

I am to the point now were I really don't car what Div. a team is...Let's just play football..If it is competitive let's do it...I know it is no that easy as far as Playoff points are concerned but I really don't pay a whole lot of attention to what Div. a team s anymore...

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

Army wrote:Loyaldevilfan,

One thing for sure, Ironton has a history of playing some top notch schools in it's history, like Columbus Desales, Bishop Watterson, Lancaster, and many more. I can't wait to see our CAVS in action Friday. Hopefully they will have a game plan together to keep the winning streak going and move the ball foward for an outstanding SEOAL Season.

Shoould be a GREAT game.... If I didn't have a GREAT game of my own to watch I would have to go watch this one.... Good luck....

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

someoverkill wrote:I'd say all 3 of the D6 schools that Coldwater plays could compete well in the SEOAL.

2 of 3 no doubt (Minster and Delphos St Johns)

Army
S

Post by Army »

loyaldevilfan wrote:
Army wrote:Loyaldevilfan,

Shoould be a GREAT game.... If I didn't have a GREAT game of my own to watch I would have to go watch this one.... Good luck....

Loyaldevilfan,

Good luck to your Blue Devils too! That game should be a dandy down at the French City against the Portsmouth Trojans. Watch out for the mis-direction shuttle pass. They love to run that play. And the sweep left. They pass over the flat to there TE's and WR's. There QB is a sophmore and has a pretty decent arm on him for a 10th grader. If he continues to improve, he is on his way to a decent scholarship by his senior year. The Trojans have two extemely large Offensive Linemen. One is headed to Penn State and the other I think to Florida State. They are big, but slow. The Trojan QB is a roll out passer and will take off with the ball if the play does not open up. Watch out because he does have speed. There tail back was a former Chillicothe Student. He rolled up a bit of yardage against his former Cavalier School last week at Spartan Stadium. They run a lot of cross direction from the back field. Should be a great game. Good luck to both teams.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

Thanks....I have heard of their lineman.....I didn't know Penn State and Florida State...pretty impressive..I just love to see D-1 talent sign in SE Ohio Period.....I would like to know what it is about Potrsmouth and Lineman....lol I remember before Portsmouth Joined the SEOAL we played them and they and a Monster of a Lineman...LOL has to be someting in the water....I am sure they have had some others but for some reason he stands out the ost.. I don't even remember his name all I know is when he stepped onto the field myself and a bunch of other fans said WOW....That is all we could say....But our D-line managed him well....

86cavs
Freshman Team

Post by 86cavs »

someoverkill wrote:In the late 70's and 80's Ironton was the equivelent of a D3 program. However, back in the dominant days, there was no discussion of "divisions" or "what divisions" the Fighting Tigers opponents were in. I read an excellent book about Tyler Whaley. In that book there is a quote from Bob Lutz that said he always wanted to play bigger and better competition.
The basic situation here is still blocking and tackling. Whether it was Ashland and their good program of the 70's, CAPE and their good program of the 80's, Desales and their good program of the 90's or Logan and their good program of the 2000's, the basic key to defeating those teams are blocking and tackling. Ironton has had a steady decline in those two basic principles in the past 5-10 years. Anyone who has watched Coach Lutz' teams has seen that the sure tackling was always a key to the defense. Ironton's base defense relies on the front 5 neutralizing the line of scrimmage and the linebackers cleaning everything up. Ironton has struggled with winning the line of scrimmage in the past 5 years or so. In Ironton's pass defense, the key is sure tackling, because many times there will be only one guy there initially. On a short pass the coverage guy needs to be sure in his tackling.
Many have said ironton needs to go to a spread offense. Maybe Ironton should throw more early in contests, but if you cannot stop the other team, it doesnt matter much. Games are won on defense.
It's a sad day in Ironton when we are making excuses based on the size of the schools we are playing. Whatever happened to taking on all comers? Ironton had 40 football players in 1979 and they have 40 football players now. Are we saying that 2008 Logan is as good as the Desales teams of the past? Logan is good, but nowhere near that good.
Lastly, I have mentioned them before, but Coldwater is a public school in D4. I think they are 2 TD's better than the Logan team I saw Friday night. The argument just doesnt hold water. A big game Friday night for Ironton. I would love to see the Tigers fired up from the sidelines to the field. Take the opening kickoff and drive it down their throat!
Someoverkill is right,the team that tackles the best and blocks the best will win the game.Defense wins the games all the time.You gotta wrap up on the tackles,defend the pass and put the pass rush on and get into the QB'S head after several times of getting smack by a defender that QB will be looking around for that defensive lineman or lineback and the DB'S.You gotta be a beast to play this game.Like ,I tell my kids all the time, this a game that you can go out hit somebody and take out all your frustration on someone with out getting in trouble.Well maybe late hit or some dumb personal foul. :lol: Well good luck to both teams friday night,the Cavs will come out with a victory in 28 -3 score.This defense is due for a major shut out.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

LoganLocos wrote:
someoverkill wrote:I'd say all 3 of the D6 schools that Coldwater plays could compete well in the SEOAL.

2 of 3 no doubt (Minster and Delphos St Johns)

Coldwater plays 3-D6 and 5-D5 schools.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

ironman02 wrote:I know Ironton was D3 in the mid 1990s. After that, they dropped to D4, but I'm pretty sure they have never been D5.

Irontons 89 State Championship was D3.

We dropped down to D4 in 95

Ironton has been close to being D5 but never have been.
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

2old wrote:Bait,

Not looking for a fight, but were you there in the first half? Logan scored at will. Pretty sure they did not punt. Logan came out flat in the second half. And still won the game 35-10. Here is the truth. If ironton scores that and makes it 28-17. the final score clearly would have been 42-17. if not more. the other point is if Lutz has passed more in the game it would have been possibly closer. When ironton went to the pass i thought they were an impressive team. I know the Tigers could not block Jon Neff but beyond that they looked better passing than running.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- all right , back to this post. my computer has been down. and i nevergot to say this. now i will . lets deal in facts, not fantasy points logan never scored. you did not score 42, or even more . though i'm sure logan was trying to. so lets revisit mike lamb's td pass. he was clearly in. at that point that would have made the game 28-17. with 1-1/2 quarters left to play. but that touchdown was negated. and then the tigers scored again later. which would have made it 35-24. i can't understand people saying this did not play into the outcome. it very well, could have been the spark, hat the tigers needed. you acted like you were shooting fish in a barrel. just had to let you know, that i know. back on topic. i look for this game to be a barnburner. when we win out and you falter with zanesville. i'm looking for a shared seoal championship for the tigers. but we gotta bring the goods friday. YTB. :-D

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

OHbuckeye1 wrote:
ironman02 wrote:I know Ironton was D3 in the mid 1990s. After that, they dropped to D4, but I'm pretty sure they have never been D5.

Irontons 89 State Championship was D3.

We dropped down to D4 in 95

Ironton has been close to being D5 but never have been.

Thanks for clearifying...i don't know why for some reason I thought they were d-5 at one time....oh well...

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

Marion Local 4 titles
Coldwater 2 titles
Delphos St Johns 6 titles
St Henry 6 titles
Versailles 6 titles

What a freaking conference in football.

Army
S

Post by Army »

86cavs wrote:
someoverkill wrote:In the late 70's and 80's Ironton was the equivelent of a D3 program. However, back in the dominant days, there was no discussion of "divisions" or "what divisions" the Fighting Tigers opponents were in. I read an excellent book about Tyler Whaley. In that book there is a quote from Bob Lutz that said he always wanted to play bigger and better competition.
The basic situation here is still blocking and tackling. Whether it was Ashland and their good program of the 70's, CAPE and their good program of the 80's, Desales and their good program of the 90's or Logan and their good program of the 2000's, the basic key to defeating those teams are blocking and tackling. Ironton has had a steady decline in those two basic principles in the past 5-10 years. Anyone who has watched Coach Lutz' teams has seen that the sure tackling was always a key to the defense. Ironton's base defense relies on the front 5 neutralizing the line of scrimmage and the linebackers cleaning everything up. Ironton has struggled with winning the line of scrimmage in the past 5 years or so. In Ironton's pass defense, the key is sure tackling, because many times there will be only one guy there initially. On a short pass the coverage guy needs to be sure in his tackling.
Many have said ironton needs to go to a spread offense. Maybe Ironton should throw more early in contests, but if you cannot stop the other team, it doesnt matter much. Games are won on defense.
It's a sad day in Ironton when we are making excuses based on the size of the schools we are playing. Whatever happened to taking on all comers? Ironton had 40 football players in 1979 and they have 40 football players now. Are we saying that 2008 Logan is as good as the Desales teams of the past? Logan is good, but nowhere near that good.
Lastly, I have mentioned them before, but Coldwater is a public school in D4. I think they are 2 TD's better than the Logan team I saw Friday night. The argument just doesnt hold water. A big game Friday night for Ironton. I would love to see the Tigers fired up from the sidelines to the field. Take the opening kickoff and drive it down their throat!
Someoverkill is right,the team that tackles the best and blocks the best will win the game.Defense wins the games all the time.You gotta wrap up on the tackles,defend the pass and put the pass rush on and get into the QB'S head after several times of getting smack by a defender that QB will be looking around for that defensive lineman or lineback and the DB'S.You gotta be a beast to play this game.Like ,I tell my kids all the time, this a game that you can go out hit somebody and take out all your frustration on someone with out getting in trouble.Well maybe late hit or some dumb personal foul. :lol: Well good luck to both teams friday night,the Cavs will come out with a victory in 28 -3 score.This defense is due for a major shut out.

86cavs,

I am going with our CAVS in this one. Especially if the defense plays as they have been the past few games. Where is all our CAV posters at?

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

someoverkill wrote:Marion Local 4 titles
Coldwater 2 titles
St Henry 6 titles
Versailles 6 titles

pretty impressive....

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Most of those years Desales was in our same division. I think they just recently moved up.

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

Post by friday_nite_fan »

someoverkill wrote:Marion Local 4 titles
Coldwater 2 titles
St Henry 6 titles
Versailles 6 titles

I have watched 4 of those teams win titles at the state finals. Let's just say the MAC isn't too bad of a conference. :-D :-D

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

it's an awesome conference. i think the seoal , can rival it. if it keeps going in the right direction. ironton has been to 8 state title games, and have won 2. if the league , can replace any teams that continue to leave with quality opponents. i hope it regains it's luster as a great conference. it seems to me that everybody in the league has profited by the opponents. and that nearly evry team has improved.

Army
S

Post by Army »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:it's an awesome conference. i think the seoal , can rival it. if it keeps going in the right direction. ironton has been to 8 state title games, and have won 2. if the league , can replace any teams that continue to leave with quality opponents. i hope it regains it's luster as a great conference. it seems to me that everybody in the league has profited by the opponents. and that nearly evry team has improved.

You're Tiger Bait,

I just hope we all stay together in the SEOAL. Rumors flew after Zanesville announced their departure, that Ironton changed their mind again and would be next. Then this past summer, there was the rumor of Marietta and Warren thinking about departing since Athens had left and Zanesville would be leaving.

Hopefully, our SEOAL will get better and make some statements in all sports throughout Ohio.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

^^^^ I hope that doesn't happen....

Return to “Football”