WK 6 Ironton @ Chillicothe

juke boxer
JV Team

Re: WK 6 Ironton @ Chillicothe

Post by juke boxer »

It's half way through the season, why are they not executing ?

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Some teams are good enough to beat teams with 4 basic plays. Sadly that day has passed for ironton. Today to keep opponents off balance they need to diversify. As far as execution I saw one dropped pass last week. The Ironton receivers caught balls even when the Logan defense was remarkable. The biggest problem ironton had with their passing attack was Jon Neff. As perviously stated as quick as he was on the Ironton qb you would have thought he started from the full back position. Neff is a beast and the Ironton qb got to know him pretty well.

Juke,

You know the answer. Just hard for Tiger fans to put their arms around it. if you are not execution g in game 5 only one direction to look.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

You know, Ironton DID Put the ball in the air 17 times last Friday against Logan. They completed 9.

A lot of silly talk going on. People forget, Logan is a Division 2 school (nine more boys and Logan is back to a Division 1 school) that is rated 4th in the state overall that played a unranked D4 school in Ironton and only defeated them 35 to 10. It's not like they had to let the clock run to hold the score down or some silly thing like that. While Logan got a good jump early, it was a tie ball game the second half and Logan did not bring their 2ND team in till there were only a couple of minutes left on the clock and Ironton brought out their second squad as well at that time.

I have to give 2Old some of the credit as well. I really believe he has done an excellent job on here convincing some of the boys to believe what he's been saying..heck, he's even gotten a few of the adults to believe his stuff as well and they tell it to a few others...

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Kantucky,

Just trying to make Itown better. Yes they threw 17 passes, but to keep a team off balance you have to throw when it is not expected. Throwing when even i know it is a passing situation will not win you many games.

Time to wake up. Ironton is just going to have to suffer until the record is broken and then maybe then they can move on. Others are seeing what they already know. Just hard to see things change.

That division stuff is not important. The old ironton teams (the ones you remember) did not worry about those details. Logan did not get a good jump early. Logan played very consistently in the first half which led to DOMINATING the tigers in the first half.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Division stuff isn't important? :122248 :lol: Ironton was a D3 school back in those days...

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Division stuff is kinda of important. Thats why you dont see DVI and DV teams scheduling DII and DI teams.

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

In the late 70's and 80's Ironton was the equivelent of a D3 program. However, back in the dominant days, there was no discussion of "divisions" or "what divisions" the Fighting Tigers opponents were in. I read an excellent book about Tyler Whaley. In that book there is a quote from Bob Lutz that said he always wanted to play bigger and better competition.
The basic situation here is still blocking and tackling. Whether it was Ashland and their good program of the 70's, CAPE and their good program of the 80's, Desales and their good program of the 90's or Logan and their good program of the 2000's, the basic key to defeating those teams are blocking and tackling. Ironton has had a steady decline in those two basic principles in the past 5-10 years. Anyone who has watched Coach Lutz' teams has seen that the sure tackling was always a key to the defense. Ironton's base defense relies on the front 5 neutralizing the line of scrimmage and the linebackers cleaning everything up. Ironton has struggled with winning the line of scrimmage in the past 5 years or so. In Ironton's pass defense, the key is sure tackling, because many times there will be only one guy there initially. On a short pass the coverage guy needs to be sure in his tackling.
Many have said ironton needs to go to a spread offense. Maybe Ironton should throw more early in contests, but if you cannot stop the other team, it doesnt matter much. Games are won on defense.
It's a sad day in Ironton when we are making excuses based on the size of the schools we are playing. Whatever happened to taking on all comers? Ironton had 40 football players in 1979 and they have 40 football players now. Are we saying that 2008 Logan is as good as the Desales teams of the past? Logan is good, but nowhere near that good.
Lastly, I have mentioned them before, but Coldwater is a public school in D4. I think they are 2 TD's better than the Logan team I saw Friday night. The argument just doesnt hold water. A big game Friday night for Ironton. I would love to see the Tigers fired up from the sidelines to the field. Take the opening kickoff and drive it down their throat!

Army
S

Post by Army »

Two more days to go. :-D

Hopefully, it will just be the opposite about, taking the opening kickoff and driving it down (their throat situation), you spoke about, above someoverkill. :-D

One game at a time CAVS :!:

GO CAVS :!: :-D
Last edited by Army on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

tigercannon71 wrote:Division stuff is kinda of important. Thats why you dont see DVI and DV teams scheduling DII and DI teams.

Ironton D-5 and Logan D-2...I know they have to play each other but I-town has scheduled DeSales....you see it more than you think

Army
S

Post by Army »

loyaldevilfan wrote:
tigercannon71 wrote:Division stuff is kinda of important. Thats why you dont see DVI and DV teams scheduling DII and DI teams.

Ironton D-5 and Logan D-2...I know they have to play each other but I-town has scheduled DeSales....you see it more than you think

loyaldevilfan,

Ironton is a D4 School. Not a D5 School.

Logan has played Desales too. :-D

1987 Columbus Desales 9 Logan 7 Loss
1988 Columbus Desales 28 Logan 14 Loss
1989 Logan 17 Columbus Desales 14 Win
1990 Columbus Desales 42 Logan 0 Loss
1991 Logan 27 Columbus Desales 13 Win
1992 Logan 20 Columbus Desales 19 Win

Ironton vs Columbus St. Francis DeSales
DeSales leads series 9-2
Years Winner Score
1972 DeSales (H) 7 0
1985 DeSales (N) 24 19
1991 DeSales (N) 2 OT 28 27
1994 DeSales (N) 13 0
1999 DeSales (H) 13 27
2000 Ironton (H) 28 21
2001 Ironton (A) 20 10
2002 DeSales (H) 21 14
2003 DeSales(A) 40 0
2004 Desales (A) 17 14
2005 Desales (H) 24 16

Last edited by Army on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

Army wrote:
loyaldevilfan wrote:

loyaldevilfan,

Ironton is D4 not D5. Logan has played Desales too.

I missed typed...they were D-5 when they played Deales....and it was not about Logan playing Desales..it wa about d-4 and d-5 teams playing d-1 and d-2 teams....

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

loyaldevilfan wrote:

Ironton is D4.

But you are right, lot's of smaller teams schedule bigger teams and vice-versa.

D4 Steubenville plays 2 D1s and 2 D2s, same with Cardinal Mooney.

D4 Coldwater plays 3 D6s.

D4 Kettering Alter plays 1 D1 and 3 D2s.

It seems in the other parts of the state it's not as big of a deal as it is in SE Ohio.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

LoganLocos wrote:
loyaldevilfan wrote:

Ironton is D4.

But you are right, lot's of smaller teams schedule bigger teams and vice-versa.

D4 Steubenville plays 2 D1s and 2 D2s, same with Cardinal Mooney.

D4 Coldwater plays 3 D6s.

D4 Kettering Alter plays 1 D1 and 3 D2s.

It seems in the other parts of the state it's not as big of a deal as it is in SE Ohio.

I missed typed...LOL

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

loyaldevilfan wrote:I missed typed...they were D-5 when they played Deales....and it was not about Logan playing Desales..it wa about d-4 and d-5 teams playing d-1 and d-2 teams....

I dont' think Ironton has ever been a D5.

And they definitely weren't when Ironton and DeSales played from 1999-2005.

Ironton has been division 4 back to 1998 at least. I can't find computer rankings farther back than that.

DeSales was D3 a lot of those years as well.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

I am almost sure Ironton has been a d-5...I could be wrong but I will check......

Army
S

Post by Army »

LOYALDEVILFAN,

Ironton is D4 not D5. Logan has played Desales too.

I missed typed...they were D-5 when they played Deales....and it was not about Logan playing Desales..it wa about d-4 and d-5 teams playing d-1 and d-2 teams....

From what I am trying to understand, you are saying Ironton was D5 when they played Desales? Ironton has never been D5. Or are you saying Desales was D5? Maybe Desales was D5 at one time. I don't know.

Speaking about small schools playing larger schools. Newark Catholic is a D6 school in the MSL-Ohio Divison with:

BEXLEY D3
COLUMBUS ACADEMY D5
GRANVILLE D4
HEATH D5
LAKEWOOD D4
NEWARK LICKING VALLEY D3
NEWARK CATHOLIC D6 :-D
WHITEHALL D3

One game at a time CAVS :!:

GO CAVS :!:
Last edited by Army on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

loyaldevilfan wrote:I am almost sure Ironton has been a d-5...I could be wrong but I will check......

I used JoeEitel to look back to 2000, and then the OHSAA website to look back to '98 and they were D4 all of those years.

Before that I can't say for sure.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

I know Ironton was D3 in the mid 1990s. After that, they dropped to D4, but I'm pretty sure they have never been D5.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

LoganLocos wrote:
loyaldevilfan wrote:I am almost sure Ironton has been a d-5...I could be wrong but I will check......

I used JoeEitel to look back to 2000, and then the OHSAA website to look back to '98 and they were D4 all of those years.

Before that I can't say for sure.

It really doesn't matter now....the fact I was trying to make has allready been proven that alot more D-4 and D-5 teams play D-1 and D-2 teams than most people would think.....That was the only point I was tying to make.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

loyaldevilfan wrote:\

It really doesn't matter now....the fact I was trying to make has allready been proven that alot more D-4 and D-5 teams play D-1 and D-2 teams than most people would think.....That was the only point I was tying to make.

Yeah, I agree with you. As I said in a post above, it's not nearly as big of a deal in other parts of the state as people make it here. A couple of years ago Delphos St. Johns (D6 then) came down to Columbus and beat perennial D1 playoff qualifier Worthington Kilbourne. It was a down year for Kilbourne, but they still won 3 or 4 games.

Return to “Football”