WK 6 Ironton @ Chillicothe

Army
S

Re: WK 6 Ironton @ Chillicothe

Post by Army »

I guess I will have to be on the lookout if I go over to talk to the I-Town Posters this year, if I see Kantucky II with the camera in hand, I will have to duck and cover. :-D

To bad Kantucky II couldn't got 2old and Drifters pictures last week at the Logan Game :!: :-D

Now that would be a hoot to see their mugs posted on here wearing Ironton Fighting Tiger Colors :!: :-D

scooterdawg
Riding the Bench

Post by scooterdawg »

Hey Tiger fans. I just want to invite all of your fans who attend the game Friday to come early enough to get a fried tenderloin sandwich. Our cheerleaders / spirit club will be selling the dinner for $5, which includes ,chips and a drink

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Army wrote:Kantucky II,

Are you coming to the game at Chillicothe?

If God allows, it's my intention to do so. I don't do the photo thing anymore so, you're safe. Aside from a few dozen of Biggdowgg, I probably won't be posting any for a while ;-)

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

If you don't want a gun to shoot you have to remove the trigger, and Knights is the trigger for Chilli. If the Ironton D can really get after him this Friday, then you make the Cavs 1 dimensional, and the game comes to the Tigers.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Well the Tiger defense is going to have to do alot better job tracking down Knights than they did Angle last week. I bet the Chilly staff looked at the films and figured Knights can do a pretty nice job this week. Ironton appearred to be a little weak at thr end position.

Come on Tigers play hard the Chieftains need the pointse

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

The O-line needs to cut their splits down against a gap shooting quick defensive front, this is an adjustment that the line can make on the field, they don't have to wait on the coaches to make this adjustment for them.
2 and 3 foot splits are way tooooo wide against a fast defensive front, cut those splits in half and your advantage will increase 10 fold.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

I'll take Ironton by 10

Army
S

Post by Army »

The CAVS I am sure, have been watching Irontons film against Logan and maybe a few others including the Burg film :!: :-D

I am sure Coach D and his staff will be prepared to utilize every tool in our Offense and Defense, putting together a plan to defeat Ironton. Looking at every avenue to expose the Fighting Tigers weak areas, and take advantage of them. I am sure Caleb will be an instrumental part in that plan DIRECTING THE CAVALIER OFFENSIVE MACHINE, but not limited to, also in that factor will be the CAV defense, the CAV special teams, the CAV kicking game and the CAVS that will need to step up a notch. :-D

If the CAVS continue to build on their confidence, and believe in each other, executing plays the way they have of late, the sky will be the limit against Ironton and the rest of this season within SEOAL play.

One game at a time CAVS :!:

GO CAVS :!: :-D

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

With Logan going 10-0 this season, why would they need Ironton's points? Wouldnt a 10-0 record secure a first round home game in the dust bowl?

Back to the game. Ironton needs to come out fast. It would be nice to see ironton take possession of the ball first and put up a nice drive. Better blocking and better tackling is needed for Ironton. it is the same theme for the past few years. This may not be a must win for a playoff position, but it should certainly be a must win for Ironton's program. 12 losses in the past 26 games is not good by Ironton standards. It looks earily similar to the 3 year period of 96-98. During that period, Ironton was 14-15 in 3 seasons. If ironton's program is to get back to where everyone associated with the program wants it to be, the Fighting Tigers must beat teams that are as good as or better than them.
I believe ironton has the physical talent to play with anyone on their schedule. However, the Tigers must face adversity better. A win this week, could propel them into a long winning streak. Here's hoping the streak starts this friday at Chillicothe

ChiefCruiser95
Freshman Team

Post by ChiefCruiser95 »

Hmmmm...Tough one here. I've only heard things about the Cavs but I've seen Ironton play so here goes. Based on what I've seen from Ironton, Chilli needs to shut down the Tiger DE's as they are both huge and fast. Also they need to key on that bulldozer for a running back Murphy. The guy is HUGE and while he's not fast he does have some good moves to gain himself some extra yards and was really the only bright spot against the Chiefs. Finally, Pass, pass and then pass some more. Ironton's pass defense is TERRIBLE so give Caleb plenty of time to throw and this one could be over early.

It's a shame that this game won't be as competitive as it should be. Ironton has the athletes to be a really good team and Lutz is/was a great coach, but the run run run offense just doesn't work like it used to. Embrace the spread Coach Lutz or learn to be content with just being mediocre. Chill wins 28-10

Army
S

Post by Army »

I am sure Ironton will be looking at alternating some of their game plan. But with that said, I know Coach D will have the Cavaliers utilizing multiple formations and hitting the receivers that are open for big gains. Our running game is new to many of us here in Chilli, but it continues to improve and pound yardage down field. Our defense will be ready. They have been stuffing the run.

Our CAV Defense will have to step up and play the A game to stuff and stop Ironton's ground game!

Our Offensive Line will have to kick it up a notch for Caleb and our Backs. Also to protect and give time for Caleb to throw to our Wide Recievers, TE and SE's, Flankers, HB's and FB's.

The CAVS know to well about BIG Murphy. :-D

They stuffed him 2 years ago in Chillicothe. Our pass defense has several interceptions this season, but will have to be on the watch in this game, due to Coach L wanting to throw more.

Last edited by Army on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

I am taking I-town by 10

Good Luck to both Teams

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

I agree with Army. i think they can contain Murphy easy enough. Especially as the game wears on. Murphy has a little something in the first and third quarter. Much less effective after that.

I even agree with overkill, it would be to Ironton's advantage to take the ball first and drive down the field. When they got the kick off they won from the coin flip last week the score was already 28-3. Getting the ball when the game is over does not help much.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

Hey Army....What are Caleb's stats this year so far?

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

TIGERS90 wrote:
Ironton wins this one quite easily as long as the zebra's stay in their cages...last couple of times to chilli...it was really bad...even in the last meeting when we were going to get beaten badly even if they called a clean game....we got hammered by bad calls all night...although it never would have mattered...I am not one to complaine about calls...but hope this one is called fairly...if so..Ironton runs away with this one...I know I was wrong about logan...but not this one....

bronc21 wrote:

bad calls? so when chilli lost last year they got hammered too? that was total domination 2 years ago by th cavs...and ironton returned the favor last year.
im sure it was the refs who put you down by 40 at halftime, right? geesh!

I didn't say that it would have made a difference two years ago...but, I am sure you would like to see a game called fairly too...even if our team would have lost by 28...I would like the score to show 28...not 40 like it has in the past...I have seen bad officiating on purpose...usually at Belfry Kentucky...or Ashland Kentucky or Portsmouth...but didn't expect it to be at Chillicothe...considering it isn't really a rival to us...I have to say when we were completely out of the game...and the officiating was purposely terrible...that was when I think it is at it's worst...at least at ironton, when the game is out of control..I have never seen an official making calls like they have to win it for the home team...lol

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

TIGERS90 wrote:.I am not one to complaine about calls...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, after the last week I can't help but get over this. This is now 3 games I've seen you talk about and 3 times you've complained about "bad" calls.

cant stop this
All State

Post by cant stop this »

Tiger90, not to be rude, but give it a rest. AS an IRONTON fan we just need to get better.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

^^^^^^ I think Ironton is a very good football team who just laid an egg last week..they will rebound nicely this week...

Army
S

Post by Army »

loyaldevilfan wrote:Hey Army....What are Caleb's stats this year so far?

I don't know, but here is the write-up on the CAVS season so far from WBEX 1490 Sports.

Chillicothe took advantage of Portsmouth miscues for a 34-14 win at Spartan Stadium.

The Cavs (3-2/2-0) scored on their first four possessions, beginning with two Drew Basil field goals of 22 and 40 yards for a 6-0 lead in the first quarter. The kicks came after Chillicothe took the ball over on downs and from a mishandled Trojans snap to the punter. In the second, the Cavs' went ahead 13-0 when Caleb Knights ran for a 1 yard touchdown run after Jacque Wong blocked a Portsmouth punt. Eric Young ran for a 6 yard score after the Cavs forced a third Trojans punt to make it 20-0 Cavs. In the second half, Young scored again from four yards out to put Chillicothe ahead 27-0. Portsmouth did manage to have success in third down circumstances. Josh Myers connected with David Mallory on a 31 yard pass to place the Trojans in the red zone. Mallory would score on a 1 yard run to make the score Chillicothe 27-7. On the ensuing kick, Chillicothe's Casey Oates return the kick off 88 yards for the Cavs final score, 34-14. Portsmouth's Angelo Jackson finished the scoring on a 1 yard touchdown run. Due to field possession, the Cavs offensive stats are deceiving. Chillicothe gained just 192 yards offense, but keep in mind, Portsmouth handed the ball to the Cavs deep in their own territory four times. Chillicothe plays Ironton at Herrnstein Field September 26th. The TIgers (3-2) were beaten by Logan 35-10.

Week 2 of the SEOAL schedule has 1-0 Chillicothe at 0-1 Portsmouth.
The Trojans lead the series 41-27-3. Chillicothe has won four of the last five meetings, with Portsmouth stopping the Cavs streak ast season, 30-22.
Trojans coach Curt Clifford has long subscribed to the fact Chillicothe will always be ready to play against the SEOAL thanks in part to their tough schedule over the first three weeks of the season. Portsmouth is off to a 1-3 start. After winning their opener with South Point, they outscored by rivals Portsmouth West and Wheelersburg 52-6. Last Friday, they were beaten by Jackson in the game's final 15 seconds 21-20. Please also note, their last three opponents are a combined 12-0.
Many Chillicothe-Portsmouth games have been determined by who sets the tone, or who can gain the game's momentum. Coach Bill Davidson's Cavaliers road the Big Mo Train with 17 fourth quarter points to beat Zanesville last week, 24-20. Winning fuels excitment. That's good news heading into a game that's easy for both Chillicothe and Portsmouth to get up for. Football is a passionate sport, and with the right determination can pay off for a team. Coach Bill Davidson says his Cavs took notice last Friday when offensive lineman J.T. Gray announced to his teammates at halftime "I did not come this far to lose a football game!" Davidson say his Cavs rallied around that attitude and turned the game around in the second half.
Portsmouth menawhile seems to be a team looking for an identity. Coach Clifford says part of the problem is his team needs to develop leadership. Not the "rah-rah" kind, but leadership by example. Clifford says through two scrimmages and a four games, he's not sure his team understands the purpose of proper preparation. When the Trojans have practiced well, they've played well. That includes last week, falling in a close game. Note, he adds, his team has had a good week of practice thus far. Only once this season has Chillicothe scored first. Isaac Beverly's 90 yard fumble recovery for a td in week 3. In their two wins, it's been a second half comeback pushing the Cavs to victory. Coach Davidson says he's trying to convince the Cavs of what they can accomplish if they give a full 48 minutes effort on the field. Coverage from Portsmouth's Spartan Stadium begins at 7:05 on 1490 WBEX.

NOTES: This will the final Cavs-Trojans game to be played at historic Spartan Stadium. Portsmouth City Schools are presently working on a new athletic facility. Spartan Stadium was used by the NFL's Portsmouth Spartans now the Detroit Lions in the 1930's... The Cavs had success with the no-huddle offense last week at Zanesville. The approach is nothing new to Cavs football. Quarterback Caleb Knights says Chillicothe's offense seems to play better when the game is "faster"... Thanks to the fans who are downloading podacsts fo the Chillicothe games from wbex.com. One family has taken the Cavs podcasts on the road, downloading to their iPod and listening to the game en route to other events. Give it a try. Take Dan, Pat and Jim to the game with you, and still have room in the car! Find a link to the Cavs podcasts on the left column of this screen.

Chillicothe Cavaliers a 24-21 victory over the Zanesville Blue Devils

Seventeen 4th quarter points capped by a 23 yard Drew Basil field goal gave the Chillicothe Cavaliers a 24-21 victory and a 1-and-0 start in the SEOAL.
Zanesville jumped out to a 7-0 lead on a 64 yard sideline pass by Cole Hudson to Mike Lynn. Chillicothe answered with a 35 yard strike by Caleb Knights to Ron Smith to tie the game at seen. It was the second time in as many games the two hooked up for a TD In the second, the Blue Devils put together a 9 play 80 yard scoring drive iced by Anthony Scott with a 13 yard run to go ahead 14-7.
Before halftime, Chillicothe drove inside the Zanesville 15 but failed to score. Instead, with time running out, the Cavs scurried onto the field with less than 10 seconds to attempt a field goal. On the snap, the ball went passed holder Alex Grow. Basil attempted to boot the ball away, but the ball ricocheted into the hands of Wesley Tandy who with time expired, returned the loose ball 80+ yards for a 21-7 lead. It would be the last score for Zanesville. The Chillicothe defense tightened up in the second half, but couldn't score in the third quarter. Early in the fourth quarter, Caleb Knights drove the Cavs 93 yards including an acrobatic 50 yard touchdown run. With Chillicothe trailing 21-14, the defense forced a three and out, followed by another scoring drive. Knights scored from 18 yards out to tie at 21.
Danny Demick forced Hudson to throw an off balance pass from the Zanesville end zone. The pass was picked off by Smith at the Blue Devils 28. That led to Basil's go ahead kick with 2:37 remaining. Knights hit on 17 of 26 passes for 196 yards and the td to Smith. The Cavs qb led the team in rushing with 119 yards on 14 carries.
Eric Young had 21 blue collar lugs for 90 yards. Chillicothe improves to 2-and-2. Zanesville dropped their third straight game, all at their refurbished home field.
The Cavs head to Portsmouth 9/19.

How do you replace hard charging runner Brian Gaiters? Heck, how do you replace nearly every starter? Gaiters rushed for 200+ yards nearly every time he laced up his shoes, including 120 against Chillicothe. That's been the challenge for Zanesville's Chad Grandstaff. In his first year with the Blue Devils, the team finished 8-2 in the regular season and ended a 10 year drought from the playoffs. It was one and done in the playoffs in a loss to DeSales, but it was also a nice taste for underclassmen. Sound familiar? The Cavaliers had a familiar experience in 2006.
Both teams are 1-and-2 through three weeks of play. For Chillicothe, they remember all too well their last trip to Zanesville, a 28-9 loss in Week 10 last year.
Zanesvile has always had Chillicothe's number, leading the series 30-2 before 1976. The series was dormant for 30 years befor resuming in 2006. Both teams were new to the revamped Southeastern Ohio Athletic League, Zaneville in the North Division, Cavs in the South. Since the revival of the series, the two teams have earned a split, each winning on their home fields. Those two meetings have been played in the mud, but that will not happen this year, thanks to a completed renovation of the Blue Devils' John D. Sulsburger Stadium. The coveted Field Turf was put in place this summer. The new turf has not helped Zanesville in the win column, going 0-and-2 in loses to Licking Valley (35-13) and Wheeling Park, West Virginia (26-7). The Devils' early success came in the opener against their arch rival Newark on the road. But, like the Cavaliers, each of Zanesville's non league opponents have a sure run as playoff contenders. This will be the third of four games on the road for Chillicothe, with another trip the following Friday. And this may well be Chillicothe's final trip to Zanesville. The Blue Devils will follow Athens' lead, parting ways with the SEOAL after this school year.

Final, Sheridan 34, Chillicothe 14

Weather wise... the rain made its appearance on the first play from scrimmage.
Sheridan's offensive running attack didn't mind at all. The Generals rolled up 439 yards offense, led by Bryan Crader's 297 yards on 33 lugs. The Sheridan tailback rushed for four touchdowns. Let there be rain... and there was. Enough to make things slippery. The Generals coughed up the ball in Chillicothe territory. Momentum? It was very short lived. On Chillicothe's initial play, Caleb Knights was stripped while gaining extra yards. Sheridan recovered to march down the field.
The Cavs defense stepped up to force a fourth down inside Chillicothe's 20. Jordan Benson stepped in front of a Treg Ulmer pass at the Cavs 11. A second shot at momentum? No. Chillicothe ran 15 offensive plays in the game's first half. They briefly held a 7-0 lead when Isaac Beverly scooped up a fumble at the Chillicothe 11, returning it 89 yards for a 7-0 lead. Sheridan answered right back with a 19 yard run by Crader, then went up 13-7 on a 1 yard Crader run. The Cavs were still in the game at halftime, but could not stop the flood as the Generals built a 27-7 second half lead. Caleb Knights led the Cavs on an 80 yard drive highlighted by a 40 yard pass to Ron Smith. The two connected again for a 14 yard score with just minutes remaining. Final, Sheridan 34, Chillicothe 14. Chillicothe slips to 1-2 while the Generals head back to Thornville at 3-0. The Cavs open the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League play at Zanesville Friday 9/12.

2-0 SHERIDAN VISITS HERRNSTEIN FIELD OPENER
Friday is the first meeting on the gridiron for Chillicothe and Sheridan. The Generals' home base is Thornville off the southeast shore of Buckeye Lake in Perry County.
Post season tradition runs deep with Sheridan making 17 playoff appearances in 28 seasons under Coach Paul Culver. Though missing the playoffs last year, the Generals finished 7-3. They're off to a 2-0 start this year. The Generals scored 49 points on Bellaire in week one. Then pounded Maysville 54-7 last week.

Young's TD Run Propels Cavs to 24-20 Win over Big Walnut

Saturday 08-30-2008 3:22am ET
Senior Eric Young scored on a 3 yard run to put the Cavaliers (1-1) ahead of Big Walnut (1-1) 24-20 with 3:20 left and the defense secured the team'sfirst win of the season. Thanks to a thunderstorm, both teams were sent to their respective locker rooms shortly after beginning pre-game warmups. Due to lightning and the threat of more, officials planned for an hour long rain delay. Once on the field, the Cavs dominated time of possession through the first quarter. They also gained the game's first score, a 7-0 lead on a 8 yard touchdown run by quarterback Caleb Knights with three seconds remaining. The Golden Eagles' Eugene Cannaday scored twice. The first on a 15 yard pass from Jordan Dewitt, and the second on a 38 yard reverse for a 14-7 lead. Chillicothe managed to get into field goal range before halftime, but on a 42 yard attempt, the ball sailed wide right on Drew Basil.
After redirecting the team's focus at halftime, the Cavs defense forced a Big Walnut punt, setting Chillicothe up at the Eagles' 38 yard line. Caleb Knights broke loose on a 17 yard run to tie the game at 14 at the 8:31 mark in the third. The Cavs got the ball back again as Basil connected on a 27 yard field goal for a 17-14 lead. Big Walnut answered with a 75 yard scoring drive, taking a 20-17 advantage on a Dewitt 1 yard plunge. The extra point however, was blocked. Following an Alex Grow interception, Knights directed an extremely well disciplined to march down the field. Young then scored the winning touchdown, 24-20. Young rushed the ball 26 times for 144 yards and a td. Knights gained 128 yards on 14 carries and the two rushing touchdowns. For the game, Chillicothe rushed for 306 yards while Knights completed 7 of 14 passes for 80 more yards. The Cavs host Sheridan (2-0) for their home opener Friday September 5th. The Generals have racked up big scores the first two weeks, 49-14 against Bellaire and set back Maysville 54-14.

CAVS TREK TO SUNBURY; D3 STATE CHAMPS AWAIT

Chillicothe (0-2 in the series) heads back to Sunbury, Ohio where the series began two seasons ago. Gone are the members of the Eagles title team, including "do everything" quarterback Ethan Wetzel (Defiance College). The son of head coach Scott Wetzel, the signal caller started at linebacker, punted and was the Eagles kick returner for three seasons. Just five starters return for Big Walnut, but only three of them are on the field due to injury. BW scored a 31-2 victory in week one, at Westerville Central. They'll host the Cavs in their first game at home since winning the championship 17-10 over Licking Valley in Canton last November. Learn more about Big Walnut Thursday night with a special edition of "Up Close with the Cavs" on 1490 WBEX, live from the team meal at the Chillicothe High School cafeteria at 6:05pm.

CAVS FALL 14-7 AT BROOKHAVEN

The Cavaliers' only scoring drive took just two minutes and 16 seconds, covering 86 yards. Unfortunately, it came with only 2:16 left on the game clock.
Caleb Knights scored on a 16 yard run to pull Chillicothe to within a touchdown.
Andrew Herrell hit on a 46 yard run following a Chillicothe penalty on fourth and three in the game's final minutes, allowing the Bearcats to increase their lead to 14-0. Brookhaven's Joshua Lewis scampered 17 yards for the game's first score at 6:34 in the first quarter. Herrell was the workhorse for the Bearcats offense carrying the ball 28 times for 258 yards and the touchdown. Caleb Knights ran the ball 23 times for 102 yards and a score. As a team, Chillicothe yielded 288 yards while gaining 204 offensively. Chillicothe and Brookhaven ended their series tied at 5-and-5. The Cavs (0-1) head to Big Walnut (1-0) August 29th. The Eagles were 31-2 winners over Westerville Central.

CAVS OPEN SEASON AT BROOKHAVEN FRIDAY
Sunday 08-17-2008 12:37am ET
As the curtain goes up Friday on the 2008 football season, the Cavs have some high expectations. Returning eight starters on each side of the ball (21 seniors, eight are co-captains), gives coach Bill Davidson some high hopes like making it to the playoffs (2006) again. Caleb Knights enters his fourth season at quarterback for Chillicothe. Last season, Knights became all time leading passer with 3.848 yards over the span of 25 games. To snap the ball, another four year starter, Danny Russell at center. The Cavs defeated Greenfield in their first scrimmage on August 11th and finished in a tie with St. Charles on the 15th. Week 1 has the Cavs on the road to Brookhaven. The Bearcats are coming off a playoff year, falling to Groveport in the first round. Following the retirement of head coach Tom Blake, Brookhaven graduate Anthony Thornton moves into the spot from his Offensive Coordinator position in recent years. This will be the 10th gridiron meeting between the schools. Chillicothe holds a 5-4 edge. The Bearcats dismantled the Cavs 21-7 last season.

Last edited by Army on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

^^^^^^ Thanks....

Return to “Football”