WK 5 Newport KY @ Coal Grove

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: WK 5 Newport KY @ Coal Grove

Post by Bleeding Red »

Black n Blue- Thanks for the good words for Minford.

And the ref should also be reprimanded for turning his head when a CG player that already had 3 prior personal fouls kicked the Minford QB in the head.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Its funny, you hear nothing about Minford all those years, and as soon as they start building a very nice program, everyone trashes them. I bet they feel like Wheelersburg all of a sudden.

Last year they finished 8-2, this year 4-0 so far and nobody can stand us.

I guess its true, everyone hates a winner.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

Bleeding Red wrote:Black n Blue- Thanks for the good words for Minford.

And the ref should also be reprimanded for turning his head when a CG player that already had 3 prior personal fouls kicked the Minford QB in the head.

What about when the Minford player stripped the ball from the CG ball carrier and the refs were watching the pile as the Minford defender exited the pile and was 5 yards downfield and being tackled by a CG player...THEN they blew the whistle and said the play was dead. The refs never saw it happen. That was worse than a 5 yard penalty for a chin strap infraction (if that is what it really was). We can go back and forth on this as we already have, but the refs did not cost or win the game for anyone.

Let's talk about this week and Coal Grove picking up their second win. You all have a good team, you just need to show it for 4 quarters and not let the mental game and small setbacks take your head out of the game. Good luck Hornets.

sleeper
Waterboy

Post by sleeper »

Bleeding Red wrote:Its funny, you hear nothing about Minford all those years, and as soon as they start building a very nice program, everyone trashes them. I bet they feel like Wheelersburg all of a sudden.

Last year they finished 8-2, this year 4-0 so far and nobody can stand us.

I guess its true, everyone hates a winner.

Say what? Minford has had a couple of good years. When they have a track record of 40 years of winning the SOC II, making the playoffs, etc....,such as the Burg, then you can make the comparison. Until then, Minford is like every other SOC II team trying to gain that type dominance/respect. They can do it but they aren't there yet. I don't think it is fair to say no one can stand you. I think you have a pretty good following in the County, as long as you aren't playing their team. I think being overly boastful of new found success wouldn't bode well and could potentially place a needless target on your schedule.

Best of Luck and continue winning big games. Respect will come but only by consistenly beating the big dowgg on the block.

Anyway, best of luck CG and put a hurtin on the KY team.

buckeyeshots
Freshman Team

Post by buckeyeshots »

So... are the hornets still playing Newport Ky on Friday, or are they going to replay the Minford game? :lol:

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Newport's coming off a 1-win season and they're guaranteed a playoff spot no matter what their record is because of the smallness of their division.
I have a feeling that there's a reason this game was scheduled for homecoming night 8)

Have fun tomorrow night, boys and girls! Hopefully the Football team will kick the evening off on a good note!

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

They will!! Good luck CG!! Hey, what happened to playin the BURG! Loved those old games. And yes, I'm old!!

cgfblvr
Waterboy

Post by cgfblvr »

I would love to see those two teams hook up, again. CG needs to schedule teams like the Burg.

cgfootball
Waterboy

Post by cgfootball »

id like to see them have a schedule like south point does this year. i think they could hang in there with the likes of burg', p. west and portsmouth.

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Post by Sawdust »

id like to see them have a schedule like south point does this year. i think they could hang in there with the likes of burg', p. west and portsmouth.

Now THAT's funny right there, I don't care who you are!! With Jr.'s coaching you would be more demoralized than you are now! Might need to schedule Hannan,WV, Buffalo-Putnam WV, Burch, WV and other cupcakes in order to build some confidence before entering that "BRUTAL" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OVC schedule. I laughed so hard I think I wet myself!!!!

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Bleeding Red wrote:
(I believe that CG player had 3 personals, after 2 you are supposed to be watching from the bus).

Not so fast my friend. :122249 Two unsportsmanlike fouls gets you the heave-ho. Personal fouls are different. As long as the officials don't believe they are flagrant, a player can get as many personal fouls as he "wants".

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

XandOs wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote:
(I believe that CG player had 3 personals, after 2 you are supposed to be watching from the bus).

Not so fast my friend. :122249 Two unsportsmanlike fouls gets you the heave-ho. Personal fouls are different. As long as the officials don't believe they are flagrant, a player can get as many personal fouls as he "wants".

You are 100% correct....but ...... kicking a kid in the head should have been one and the kid had no reason to be in the game the middle of the 4th quarter on. They only thing he accomplished was trying to hurt someone.

The coaches at CG have very little control of the team. The tail wags the dog over there, thats for sure.

I think senior has a good shot of turning them around if it is not already too late. Junior on the other hand adds to the problem.

tigermack
Freshman Team

Post by tigermack »

Sawdust wrote:

Now THAT's funny right there, I don't care who you are!! With Jr.'s coaching you would be more demoralized than you are now! Might need to schedule Hannan,WV, Buffalo-Putnam WV, Burch, WV and other cupcakes in order to build some confidence before entering that "BRUTAL" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OVC schedule. I laughed so hard I think I wet myself!!!!

Well, sawdust, if Big dad would coach more than junior, this would definitely be feasable as is was when he coached at cg before. I am somewhat older than some on here, but I can remember the Burg and CG having some barn burners. Lucas has softened on those boys. He and Bob Lutz were both named hall of fame coaches for a reason, you know. I just think he has lost his spunk. I think CG has done well against several 4-0 teams considering the lack of discipline that seams to have afflicted this team. He needs to get a handle on them or their demise will continue. This team has a lot of talent, too bad it isn't being used to it's full potential.

As far as the ovc schedule, didn't South Point hang with Burg and Portsmouth more than expected?
Last edited by tigermack on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

converterfan
Freshman Team

Post by converterfan »

29- 14 when i left. grove was running the clock with about 2:00 minutes left

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Coal Grove held onto the ball for WELL over 30 minutes of this one! They played pretty good defense and held when they needed to.
Delawder got the ball in long spurts - getting it 11 times in a row on two separate occasions! He ended up with 147 and a TD. Coal Grove did a good job of converting on 3rd/4th and short, thus keeping Newport's spread offense off of the field.
Coal Grove ran with three in the backfield almost all night, with Wood leading the way for Delawder or Brammer or Haynes. Newport was putting nearly everybody in the box to try to slow CG down, but they were outsized and wore down....

thesmokinglens
Freshman Team

Post by thesmokinglens »

I'm not sure if it's an overall discipline problem or a few hard-to-manage kids with little to no respect for the staff. I didn't go to last night's games, so I'm not sure what even happened. But sawdust... don't be naive... Coal Grove has the athletes to hang with Wheelersburg and West. It's just a matter of executing the play call and taking advantage of your opportunities. And yup, CG and Burg really did have some good games back in the day...but the last one I was involved in was NOT one of them. :shock:

Return to “Football”