Portsmouth 20 @ Jackson 21 Final

ironman02
SEOP

Re: Portsmouth (1-2) @ Jackson (3-0)

Post by ironman02 »

According to weather.com, there is a 60% chance of rain on Friday in Jackson. Don't know the exact forecast for around kickoff, but I would say that there might be some rain showers. I don't know who that would really benefit, but it might make it tough for Portsmouth to get their talented receivers involved. However, if it's wet and slippery, Jackson better take care of the football.

Klay Arthur has been great so far this season. He really runs hard and has very good size and speed. He has been able to take a little bit of the load off Cody Huff, get some tough yardage for the Ironmen in between the tackles, and allows Haller and Landrum to play mostly on one side of the ball. Klay has a bright future ahead of him. He sure isn't playing like a sophomore out there.

The sophomore class is loaded at RB/FB. Arthur, Meredith, and Stepp(once he gets healthy next year) are all extremely talented. The cupboard isn't bare in the Jackson backfield.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

Arthur, Haller and Landrum are very solid. Meredith has some speed also. I think those four sometimes get overlooked . I hope it does not rain, I am planning on attending and hate watching in the rain. I guess I am not a true high school fan. I agree we need to take care of the ball, and then we should be in good shape. I talked to a player the other night and they are definitely not taking Portsmouth lightly at all. They are expecting a real dog fight.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

uh Ocho,

Logan and Jackson are in the SAME division. So if Logan is winning the league and Jackson is not. Figure it out. And this century when Logan has not won the title Gallia has. Figure it out. So hearingf the size card from Jackson rings a little hollow. Logan has played D-1 Lancaster, D-1 Pick North, D-2 Hamilton TWP. Logan is 3-0 and has 8.8333 computer points.

Jackson is also D-2. Jackson has played D-4 Wellston and Waverly and D-3 VC. Jackson is 3-0 and has 6.017 computer points.

Computer points are developed by winning and the teams you beat winning. Sounds like strenght of schedule. Logan has over a 2 point lead on jackson. I am sure alot of your fellow Jackson postersw just shook their head at the inaccurate and poorly thought out post that you made concerning Logan being so large.

You should think before you post as not to embarrass jackson and yourself. You posted opinions. I am posting facts.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

2old wrote:uh Ocho,

Logan and Jackson are in the SAME division. So if Logan is winning the league and Jackson is not. Figure it out. And this century when Logan has not won the title Gallia has. Figure it out. So hearingf the size card from Jackson rings a little hollow. Logan has played D-1 Lancaster, D-1 Pick North, D-2 Hamilton TWP. Logan is 3-0 and has 8.8333 computer points.

Jackson is also D-2. Jackson has played D-4 Wellston and Waverly and D-3 VC. Jackson is 3-0 and has 6.017 computer points.

Computer points are developed by winning and the teams you beat winning. Sounds like strenght of schedule. Logan has over a 2 point lead on jackson. I am sure alot of your fellow Jackson postersw just shook their head at the inaccurate and poorly thought out post that you made concerning Logan being so large.

You should think before you post as not to embarrass jackson and yourself. You posted opinions. I am posting facts.

OK ...you have made your point...beef up your schedule and success will soon follow...I will tell coach Yates that VC doesnt even need to practice, lift, or run next year...just schedule Cleveland St. Ignatius, Cin. Colerain, and Stubenville..show up for the first game and they will be guaranteed winners...isnt that how it works..or do I have it wrong??

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Vike,

If you would just read and not be so anxious to pop off and be smart you would have your answer. I have explained it many times. Do some research.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

I look for Portsmouth to continue to make adjustments this week and show some more improvement. I don't think we'll have enough to beat Jackson but we should give them a game. The last two weeks we have lost 34-0 and 28-6 but both games were 14-0 at the half. It was the offenses inability to get first downs that hurt us in those games. If we can plug in a few more pieces and start getting a running game to keep the opposing d's honest we will start to compete much better. Last week wasn't pretty but if we had played as badly as we did the first 2 weeks, Burg would have beaten us 56-0. Hopefully with more improvement we can stay within a td or 2 of Jackson.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

2old
Which school has more students in the high school? Is Logan not the largest school (student population wise) in the league? Jackson fluctuates between division 2 and 3. We are probably the smallest D-2 school. Was Logan not D-1 a short time ago? I believe the only thing posters are shaking their heads about is your poor spelling skills and grammar ability. Jackson is a proper noun and should be capitalized. That is a fact and not an opinion. :oops: However, you are good with decimals> :razz:

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Stinko,

If you can not tell I don't worry much about the spelling. I usually get Logan and Champion right.

You spin it anyway you want. D-2 is the same class. How many classes would there be if you had to have a class for the exact same size student body. Take your problem up with the OHSAA. Until you get it solved Logan and Jackson are D-2. The points prove who has the tougher schedule. If i did not want to see the league improve i would not care if Jackson ever got better.

BTW, join the long list of posters who do not like my typing skills. It always comes up when i have completely embarrassed some poster who has an opinion destroyed by my facts.

know your role
Freshman Team

Post by know your role »

2old,
I really like how you tell Viking to do research. I am sure that is what everyone wants to do, look up all of your 1,000+ posts. Also if you embarrassed everyone with your thoughtful posts (in your mind) there would not be anyone left posting on this site.

I have seen Jackson once this year, they do have some strong backs.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

Man looks like 2 old has friends all over the football forum..... LOL Good luck to Jackson this weekend...Computer points up or down doesn't matter about this team I have heard alot of praise about them this year.... I hear you guys have a couple of tough backs this year.... What is it with Jackson and TOUGH running backs....LOL I would like to hear a lil more about them... will someone tell me about them?

sleeper
Waterboy

Post by sleeper »

2old wrote:Stinko,

If you can not tell I don't worry much about the spelling. I usually get Logan and Champion right.

You spin it anyway you want. D-2 is the same class. How many classes would there be if you had to have a class for the exact same size student body. Take your problem up with the OHSAA. Until you get it solved Logan and Jackson are D-2. The points prove who has the tougher schedule. If i did not want to see the league improve i would not care if Jackson ever got better.

BTW, join the long list of posters who do not like my typing skills. It always comes up when i have completely embarrassed some poster who has an opinion destroyed by my facts.

But my understanding is, you don't get it right as it relates to a State Championship, from any era. :12224 :12224

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Is Alumni Stadium next to the High School?

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

Alumni Stadium is by the high school up on the hill. We do now charge two dollars for parking. I think they still shuttle people up the hill for free. I suggest the veal at the band booster's booth. Should be a fun game.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

2old
I suggest you make your schedule tougher so you can win a national title. We know how many state championships Logan has from their tough football scheduling. I have no problem with the OHSAA. You can spin it anyway you want, but Logan is the largest school in the league hands down. That is a fact not opinion, so how did you embarass me? Yes or no, answer my question, is Logan not the largest school in the league (Zanesville is leaving)? Oh, I just emabarassed you with facts! :lol:

Know Your Role: I bet 2old is like Uncle Rico, if coach would have put me in we would have won state. :lol:

sleeper
Waterboy

Post by sleeper »

Don't worry fellows. 2old can come on here and bash all the schools he wants. One thing he cannot do is put 3 words in a sentence...............Logan State Champions Now he can spell Logan and Champions right but he hasn't perfected State. So until he can man up and put these three words in a sentence his words pass like a silent fart. They fall on deaf ears.

These words are meant for 2old because of his relentless bashing of other schools. This is not meant for Logan people, who are generally thoughtful of others accomplishments.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'd like I guess to make a point on this scheduling forum.

Scheduling is a fine line.......many teams are simply too good or not nearly worth playing.

Scheduling of non-league games has to get your team ready for league and postseason in all the other sports....but in football it's crucial part of MAKING it into the postseason. Back in the late 80's during Jeff Conroy's years at Oak Hill they seemed to always be between 8-2 and 10-0....but failed to make the playoffs (only top 4 then mind you.....but 9-1 and 10-0 should still get you in).......their schedule was not tough enough.

But only Jackson's 1994 and 1998 teams (I think) were IMO playoff teams and fell just short being 5th in the region both times......so maybe those schedules weren't tough enough......but I'm not so sure they weren't tough enough.......and all the other teams that made the playoffs.......a couple of them were not as good as those 2 teams....but the computer points snuck them in at 8-2 or 7-3.

As for the lack of SEOAL titles of recent history......I just don't see scheduling as the problem. I mean if we had played say Wheelersburg instead of Wellston and maybe a Miami Trace instead of VC....I don't see those games win or lose helping us overcome a fumble on the goal line by our sick all-state player on the final play......or tackling Logan on the final play before the half at home on a crazy play that we didn't make.....or impossible to miss wide open interception chances for easy TD vs Marietta and Gallia going right thru our top players/athletes hands.....or even dare I say it the kids that got into trouble and missed key games at times.

Logan is definately the premier team of the area and the SEOAL.....more boys to choose from is definately an advantage.....AND it makes a proud tradition a little easier to continue....which to me makes Wheelersburg amazing as they have so many fewer to choose from year in and year out.....smaller schools may have a group of a class with only 1 or 2 good male athletes.........in that same off year Jackson will have 6 or maybe 7 and Logan will have 10 or so........and if a smaller school has a run of lesser classes maybe 3 out of 4 then entire program might only have 10-12 decent players with a few good ones.

Simply saying...I agree a little tougher scheduling would benefit us SOME......but in my mind I truely believe our KILLER losses to Gallia, Marietta and Logan of recent years when we had a shot at the title had little to do with week 1-3 or 4 and more to do with simply not making plays that we ALWAYS seen them make for whatever reason in those particular games.

Now.....If every football team made the postseason like the other sports....then scheduling up would be more more important IMO.....but with the computer points you have to win 6+ games to have a shot.....and a couple of those wins better be vs other 6-4 or better teams of within 1 of your size....scheduling a D1 team that goes 2-8 is all but worthless as is beating a 3-7 team 3 divisions smaller than you.

As is....and has been for many years....Jackson has a tough enough schedule if they win 7 to make the playoffs.

And for the biggest win?/most exciting victory in JHS history over #1 seed Cincy Withrow with future NFL player Donte Love at QB.....that whole season huddlers from Minford and Scioto Co hammered Jackson's schedule all season long.....somehow some of the scrubs that didn't challenge us that year didn't stop us from making amazing play after play after play.....and continuing to answer the onslaught of the top D2 computer point team in Ohio....and 2nd most of all divisions I believe.

And IMO.........there is only 1 playoff game that possibly a tougher schedule would've helped us overcome an opponent and that was our 2nd playoff trip and vs Youngstown...EAST?.....that game seemed to be a game won by a team that was simply more used to being in those types of battles .....and the others IMO were just better than us or executed a great gameplan.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

you forgot to say..

GO TROJANS!

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Trojans stay perfect against Jackson since rejoining the league and perfect at Alumni Stadium with an upset win in a shocker thanks to a big night from the return teams.
PHS-18
JHS-17
Talk about a barn burner!!!

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Arnt we undefeated up there?

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

Post by oldtrojan »

ozzie ...save me a seat I should be leaving N.E. Pa. approx. 8:30 am that should get me in Jackson around 4:30pm. What time are you and the biggdowgg eating. Save me some scraps.
Also hope to see trojandave at the game.
God Bless and have a safe trip.

GO TROJANS

Return to “Football”