Re: Portsmouth (1-2) @ Jackson (3-0)

Post by ocho stinko »

Meant your right, not write. da!

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

ocho stinko.....You are correct.

The entire Jackson athletics department was a mess with the former AD. But Mr. Kight and his staff has done a wonderful job of getting things straightened out. It's been an enjoyable experience working with him.

The baseball team won the league last year, the two soccer teams are okay, the volleyball program is okay, football team is undefeated, cross country team has a few more numbers etc.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson is 6th in the region...........I for one would take that ranking at the end of the season.

If 8-2 gets you into the playoffs then IMO your schedule is good enough....if 7-3 makes it then IMO it's a perfect schedule of toughness and winnable games....vs teams that will win some.

Now if you go 9-1 or 10-0 and don't make it.......it needs to be beefed up.

MariettaPride21
S

Post by MariettaPride21 »

jackson 24-14

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I say portsmouth gives them a great game until the fourth hate to say it but jackson 34-28

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

portsmouth_trojan59 wrote:I say portsmouth gives them a great game until the fourth hate to say it but jackson 34-28

of we score 28 points, this team will be headed in the right direction

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Jackson needs to be more consistent this week against Portsmouth than they have been the first three weeks. The Ironmen are 3-0, but they really have only played three good halves of football. To win in the SEOAL, it's going to take four solid quarters of football...not two or three. If Jackson can get the running game going AND hold on to the football, I think they can take control of this game. Long, sustained drives that eat up the clock will be the key for the Ironmen offensively. I don't know many specifics about Portsmouth's team, but I know they have a couple VERY good linemen and some young skill players that have a lot of athleticism. I see Jackson getting the win, but I think Portsmouth has the talent to hang right in there. Should be a good one.

wolfmannum8
Waterboy

Post by wolfmannum8 »

I agree Jackson is still making too many mistakes. Useless penalties become drive killers! Way too many turnovers. We must protect the ball and play smart!

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Unless the Trojans fix their OL issues the results will be the same as the last 2 weeks. Moves must be made this week to get skilled players the football. Myers running for his life after week 3 should indicate major problems with the Trojan O. No chance to get those athletic wide outs the ball so why keep them there.

IMO move the players to utilize their strengths. If that means using Johnson and White at RB and sitting the big D1 OL on the bench then that is what it means. Good Lord, those O lineman are huge. Surely they can block someone. Maybe they need a little motivation.

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

Post by NICKNEVADA »

JACKSON 29-27

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

Jackson wins this game but it will be close. If the Ironmen turn the ball over 2+ times they will be in a dogfight at the end.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

First things first
Viking 96,

Wow what a severe case of Chieftain Envy. ironically i applaud Vc for scheduling up. However they have gone over board. You do not have to schedule up every game. Heck logan is playing Gallia this week. But beleive me Jackson is way too strong a program at this time to be scheduling Wellston and VC.

I am curious for those who feel Ptown will score 20+ points this week. They broke 20 once this year against SP. Everyone score 28 points against SP.

I think Jackson wins this game and Ptown at most has 2 td's. At least as long as the starters are in.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Portsmouth actually looked a little better last week. I didn't see Nate Cadogan playing tackle (not his natural position) as much as he did the first two games. Those other three big lineman are all sophs. They were trying to work in some new stuff last week against Burg and should be a little better this week. If we would have come in using the personnel and game plan we used against West Burg would have put up 49+. We probably still lose to Jackson, but by the end of the year we should much more competitive and maybe steal a couple wins.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

Will be a good game....I will take Jackson by a touchdown.... Good luck to both teams I hope it is a hard fought Injury free game...

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Anybody going to be doing updates for this game on Friday night? I won't be able to make it to Jackson for the game and I don't know if I'll be able to listen online.

Ironman61
Riding the Bench

Post by Ironman61 »

"I61 and DYJ,

Hey if it hurts your feelings then schedule tougher. It has been a long time since Logan lost a league game. There should be a clue there for you somewhere. Beating Wellston and VC does not prepare you for anything. Look how the computer sees it Jackson 3-0 and ranked 6th in their region. Logan 3-0 ranked first in their region. Logan has almost 3 more computer points. I do not make this stuff up. Why fight it. Play a better schedule. It will only make YOUR team BETTER. Logan is living proof of it."

BTW, i am not sure but I think Jackson may be the last league team to beat Logan in a league game. I am sure Locos or 02 can verify that."

first off im pretty sure Jackson was the last seoal team to beat Logan and secondly
the only thing Logan is proving is that their the biggest team in the League and are FINALLY starting to play some schools closer to their own size. you can pound your chest all you want about Logan and talk trash about all the schools you want too but the facts are that but i seem to recall a time in the chieftains past when they were the ONLY d1 team in a League composed of mostly D3 three schools and still not winning every game... that being said, cmon lets hear your next line meanwhile im gonna put on my hip waders (its pretty bad that 2old spews so much S@#% that its this deep all the way to Jackson)

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Put white in the backfield and give him the ball running right with the 2 D1 lineman and run it till they stop it. then switch them to the left. Malik White is one of the best atheletes in this area and he needs to touch the ball. Clifford is a sham if he doesnt make a way for the kid to touch the ball!!!!!!!!!!

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

I actually wouldn't be real surprised to eventually see White or Johnson in the slot the way Cory Reeves was used last year. He made an excellent weapon out of the backfield.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

2old wrote:First things first
Viking 96,

Wow what a severe case of Chieftain Envy. ironically i applaud Vc for scheduling up. However they have gone over board. You do not have to schedule up every game. Heck logan is playing Gallia this week. But beleive me Jackson is way too strong a program at this time to be scheduling Wellston and VC.

I am curious for those who feel Ptown will score 20+ points this week. They broke 20 once this year against SP. Everyone score 28 points against SP.

I think Jackson wins this game and Ptown at most has 2 td's. At least as long as the starters are in.

Believe me Im not evious of anthing about Logan...I actually root for Logan in the playoffs...I just see no reason to blast VC and Wellston because they just arent good enough to prepare Jackson to beat Logan...If Jackson trains hard, watches film, are well coached, and just hungier than Logan then they will have a good chance to win...I dont see how playing to local rivals like VC and Wellston is preventing Jackson from being a better program...and its the arrogant way that "you 2old" ,not Logan football, acts like all of a sudden Logan is the mecca of the football universe...Good on Logan for having a real nice football run but dont trash our programs to prove a point..Classless.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Jackson's schedule has been good enough to get them into the playoffs in the past and it's good enough to get them in now, provided that they win 8 games or more. Region 8 is a pretty competitive region, so anything less than 8 wins and you're probably on the outside looking in. With rising gas prices and tight budgeting at Jackson right now, I don't think you will see a change in the non-league schedule. Jackson will have to pick up a game for next year once Zanesville leaves, though, and I'm interested to see who that may be.

Wellston is a long standing rivalry and a game that brings in a ton of money, so I understand why it is played. However, I still stand behind my belief that it is a situation where Jackson has little to gain and everything to lose. Vinton County is pretty much the same thing, but the Vikings are a decent D3 opponent in close proximity to Jackson. Waverly is a good game any way you slice it in my opinion. In a perfect world, I would keep Waverly and find a couple other games against opponents such as Circleville, Miami Trace, or possibly Sheridan. I think those would be games that Jackson could typically compete well in.

That said, I can see what 2old is saying. Playing Wellston and Vinton County is fine for Jackson, but it doesn't really challenge the kids as much as a tougher schedule would. It also doesn't do much in preparing Jackson for post-season play, provided that they get in. If Jackson did make changes to the non-league schedule, they would also need to be careful not to over schedule. However, I think the school of thought at Jackson right now is that league play is very difficult, so there is no sense in going out of the way to make the schedule even more difficult. Maybe that's right...maybe it's not. We'll just have to see how things play out. There have been plenty of great Jackson teams playing that same non-league schedule and winning the SEOAL. There has not been too much playoff success though, and in the end, that's what it's really all about.

Return to “Football”