Who takes the SOC this year?

SPAMONY
Varsity

Re: Who takes the SOC this year?

Post by SPAMONY »

SOCMAN05 wrote:That Blind Squirrel has beaten WEST 4 out of the 6 years that they've been in the SOC2 ! Deal with it there here 2 stay !

You might want to add that you are 2-10 against Minford and Burg during that same time. I was very impressed with last years team. I picked them to win the SOC. Great group of seniors. You can twist the facts however you want but Valley has yet to sustain long term success in SOC2. I personally dont think they ever will.

WildWestSider
Waterboy

Post by WildWestSider »

I don't disagree with your comments but I do take exception to those morons who post on here saying Valley can't hang with the top teams in the league. BTW, how do you define success?[/quote]

Success is year after year fielding playoff caliber teams and winning SOC championships. And no one can say that Pirates and Siders have not dominated overall in the past 50 years. With saying that, it doesn't mean another team can't have a year like that. But winning it one year and going to the playoffs doesn't make you a contender the next years to come, and it sure doesn't make you a powerhouse. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.[/quote]

If playoff teams and SOC championships are the measuring stick, Wheelersburg and only Wheelersburg has dominated the past 50 years. 23 playoff appearances and 28 SOC titles is dominant. West has 7 playoff appearances. Minford has 7, Valley has 6, Waverly has 4. No one else has been close to Wheelersburg for the last 50 years.[/quote]

West has 15 and burg has 28 championships. Add them two together and the rest of the soc teams together and nobody comes close. I'll also say that arguably some of West's best teams were when they only allowed the top 4 teams in a region to get into the playoffs but I'm not gonna use that excuse.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

SPAMONY wrote:
SOCMAN05 wrote:That Blind Squirrel has beaten WEST 4 out of the 6 years that they've been in the SOC2 ! Deal with it there here 2 stay !

You might want to add that you are 2-10 against Minford and Burg during that same time. I was very impressed with last years team. I picked them to win the SOC. Great group of seniors. You can twist the facts however you want but Valley has yet to sustain long term success in SOC2. I personally dont think they ever will.

Valley has only been in the league 6 years. In those 6 years, everyone has won the league but Northwest. I don't think anyone is dominating the league anymore. Things are more balanced than the 90's when Burg was crushing people.

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

Crab's brother wrote:
SPAMONY wrote:

Valley has only been in the league 6 years. In those 6 years, everyone has won the league but Northwest. I don't think anyone is dominating the league anymore. Things are more balanced than the 90's when Burg was crushing people.

I agree the league is way more competitive in the last five years. Nobody said or claimed it wasnt. what has and is being said is that valley has and will continue to struggle in the SOC. once or twice every decade the stars and talent will allign for valley and they will compete. other than that they will struggle.... JMO. by the way Burg crushed people for 30 years not just the 90's but by all means twist the facts some more

SOCMAN05
Freshman Team

Post by SOCMAN05 »

Spam..... Like I said the playing field has been leveled ! The new talent pool is in the Northern part of the county . And by the way Measured success would be the ability to put a competitive team on the Gridiron, Court and Diamond and some schools the only time that you hear about them is September thru November thats not success IMO !!!!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

SPAMONY wrote:
Crab's brother wrote:
SPAMONY wrote:[quote="SOCMAN05"

I agree the league is way more competitive in the last five years. Nobody said or claimed it wasnt. what has and is being said is that valley has and will continue to struggle in the SOC. once or twice every decade the stars and talent will allign for valley and they will compete. other than that they will struggle.... JMO. by the way Burg crushed people for 30 years not just the 90's but by all means twist the facts some more
Never said Burg hasn't crushed people for 30 years but by all means twist the facts some more.

So what exactly is struggling? Valley has been in the league 6 years. In that time, everyone but Northwest has one the title. Records are as follows:

Burg 25-5
West 18-12
Minford 17-13
Valley 16-14
Waverly 13-17
Northwest 1-29

So is everyone but Burg struggling?

starbase_318
Varsity

Post by starbase_318 »

Those pesky stats again.... :-D :-D :-D :-D

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Ah, those darn stats.

SPAMONY
Varsity

Post by SPAMONY »

Hey if you want to hang your hat on 1 game over 500 and say WE HAVE ARRIVED or WE ARE COMPETETIVE then by all means do so. Just dont expect anyone to give creedence to it. another telling factor will be valleys record one year from today. i predict 17-17 possibly 16-18. Thanks for the stats! Helped me prove my point

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Over the course of the 6 years Valley has been in the league, they stand 4th out of 6 teams, with just 2 games seperating teams 2-4 (West, Minford and Valley). I believe that does equate to "competitive". Obviously, Wheelersburg is hands down the front-runner in the league in terms of overall success. After that, things begin to level out over the course of the last 6 years. In reality, the last 50 years speak for themselves, but do not mean a lot in terms of the future. Certainly, Wheelersburg and West are going to be the first two teams mentioned until someone else runs off several titles in a short time period. Both sides of this discussion have already agreed to the recent parity in the league over the last 6 years. Doesn't that all by itself indicate the number of teams that have been "competitive" in present times? So, are we discussing the present and into the future? Or, are we discussing the last 50 years? I'm not trying to twist anything. I just want to be certain of what we are discussing. If Valley is a part of the discussion, then don't we have to discuss the last 6 years along with the future? Afterall, it's been said time and again that our success in the SOC 1 isn't relative to the SOC 2 (which is absolutely understandable). So, by talking about Wheelersburg and West over the last 50 years in comparison to Valley is already a handicap for Valley in the discussion. The Indians cannot possibly even be part of that discussion prior to 6 years ago. Honestly, is that not correct? As for the numbers, enrollment wise, that some folks were discussing earlier...it is correct that Valley and Wheelersburg flip-flop every other count or two, between who is the smallest school in the SOC 2. I think that is something that certainly says a ton about the sustained success the Burg has had, and is proof that building a top-notch program can neutralize a lack of numbers. I've always had an enormous amount of respect for the Pirates when it comes to that fact. I don't think it's a matter of "twisting facts", any more than it's a matter of blatent bias. Both sides of this discussion have valid points and both sides of laughable comments. At the end of the day, the SOC 2 has become a much more balanced league with 3-4 teams being serious contenders for the league title every year. Personally, I think that's outstanding. To me, that's what matters most. I certainly believe Valley's football program is in a better position than a lot of folks outside of Lucasville (at least a lot of those posting on this site 8) ), but regardless of who believes it on this site, the kids/coaches will prove it on the field and no matter who we root for; we'll all get the pleasure to watch it unfold with some solid competitive SOC 2 football.

Best of luck to all of the SOC teams, not just in the regular season but in the playoffs as well. I think the best point made by anyone on this thread was the comment that we all rally around each other in the playoffs. It truly is a direct reflection of how hard the teams in this league push each other every year, which has equated to some playoff success over the years. I say it's about time we have some teams take that next step in playoff success and start producing some Regional Champs on a regular basis. That is something that we can all cheer about!

TheNatural
Riding the Bench

Post by TheNatural »

There are some outlandish comments both ways. It's hard to sustain long-term success in SOC2 when you haven't been in it for a long-term. And there is no questioning Burg's historical dominance, especially over Valley, but it is also a little unfair to talk about Valley only winning one game against them in 40 years, when they didn't play each other for 20 some years (not sure of the actual numbers) because after all, Rio Grande football has been undefeated for 50 years. Don't get me wrong, Burg probably would have dominated those years they didnt play.

At one point, you have to throw the history part out the window... and by the way, Burg is the only program who should be talking history anyway. I know and agree that winning breeds winning but I don't think Burg will dominate the next 50 like the past 50. I believe Minford, West, and Valley will all be in the mix for the majority of the years. Valley's program has continually improved throughout the years and have established themselves as a team that should be competitive most of the time. They will also have some bumps in the road, as will other schools.

That was my best attempt at an unbiased opinion.

Now for my biased and surely to go wrong prediction. Valley will be SOC2 Champs in 2013 and 2015.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

To be the Champ, you have to beat the Champ!!! And right now, Valley is the Champ until someone beats them and takes it away, they are the only Champ in SOCII right now as we speak. If you want it, you'll have to come and take it, and the Indians wont just hand it over without a fight. And you will see success on the field this year as well. Alot of young talent is still there, they were just playing behind seniors.

daWtownballa
Waterboy

Post by daWtownballa »

izladoom wrote:man you guys are killing me! so valley might be getting a qb transfer? i have not heard this rumor but that would solve most of are problems if true. if someone would pm me this info i would really appreciate it.
PM mee

HomeTownHero_13
Waterboy

Post by HomeTownHero_13 »

Everybody talks about Burg, Valley and West. IMO being the underdog is somtimes better for players knowing they have nothing to lose. Waverly has a true shot at winning SOC. They are stronger overall than last year, just as fast as ever, Good QB. More mature and will end up having 10+ 3yr varsity players at the end of this year and 1 4yr varsity player. Coaching is as good if not better than anywhere else. Experience will not be an issue for this team its more having somone willing to stand up and lead this team which is somthing this team has lacked since '06...

Black&Orange23
Waterboy

Post by Black&Orange23 »

West.. To much returning talent and experience. It wont be easy but the will take it IMO

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

West 1 and Burg 2 then the rest fighting for 3rd.

ssubears2014
Waterboy

Post by ssubears2014 »

I saw on Wikipedia, which i know is highly unreliable, that Ironton and Portsmouth are joining the SOC, is this true? if so when?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

HomeTownHero_13 wrote:Everybody talks about Burg, Valley and West. IMO being the underdog is somtimes better for players knowing they have nothing to lose. Waverly has a true shot at winning SOC. They are stronger overall than last year, just as fast as ever, Good QB. More mature and will end up having 10+ 3yr varsity players at the end of this year and 1 4yr varsity player. Coaching is as good if not better than anywhere else. Experience will not be an issue for this team its more having somone willing to stand up and lead this team which is somthing this team has lacked since '06...
Experience is a big help! From someone who only sees Waverly once I year, what I see is that they start off the game fairly strong, but once a mistake or two is made, they fall apart and can not recover. It seems they lack the discipline and winning attitude to come together as a team and pull through the mistake(s) and fight back. Instilling a winning attitude and discipline are 2 very important parts of coaching they appear to be missing. I do agree they have good size, strength, and speed, but coaching is more than the X's and O's.

usctrojans1
Freshman Team

Post by usctrojans1 »

Waverly should be competitive this year, most of the juniors and seniors are 3 year starters and have played against some extremely good teams (west,jackson,burg,valley...). There's a whole different attitude in the weightroom and will definitely be the strongest team waverly has fielded in several years.

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

Burg lost 3 games last year..... Ironton, Valley, &West. We all know that Ironton is always tough year after year. Valley had a great group of boys that's mostly graduating. And West is always competitive but they to have lost alot of great players! Burg pretty much will have the same great team this year! So i'm very positive that Burg will definitely win the SOC trophy this fall! Not to mention that for the next 5yrs that I know of, Burg is going to just get better! They have lots and lots of talent and a great coaching staff! GO BURG!!!!!!!

Return to “Football”