WK 3 (1-1) Vinton County @ (2-0) Jackson

Who wins?

Total votes: 0

ironman02
SEOP

Re: WK 3 (1-1) Vinton County @ (2-0) Jackson

Post by ironman02 »

If Jackson isn't very good, then what does that say about Vinton County?

vikings52
Waterboy

Post by vikings52 »

govikings
Last edited by vikings52 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman61
Riding the Bench

Post by Ironman61 »

vikings52 wrote:my opinion is that jackson was not a very good team, i thought it was over reated and hawkeye vikings are ready for anyone.

27-0 If jacksons "not a very good team" Then that really speaks poorly of the vikes....i would think at 1-2 people would be less likely to put down a team that could hand them their soul in a doggy bag...but whatever whine, complain, "be ready for anyone" , thats not going to take away the win for Jackson GO IRONMEN

vikings52
Waterboy

Post by vikings52 »

it was alot closer than it looked. vinton county did do a good job but every turnover the vikings defense had the offense had nothing for V.C

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Closer than it looked? Get real.

I'm done with this. Good luck to VC in TVC play. I'm moving on to Portsmouth.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I was in the press box last night and I heard the mutterings from the fans below about Vinton County. Comments like "...can't compete" and "...they are not good." Now, I will agree that NOT all of Jackson feel that way. I have a few friends that are from Jackson and they are respectable to their opponent no matter who it might be, if they were not they would not be my friends. Furthermore, in Coach Wolford's post game interview, he was angry with his players effort, not complimentary in the Vikings efforts, but he gave the impression that it should have been more. (And maybe so). Maybe, that is why he was still throwing with under four minutes in the fourth up 27-0. And in his interview this morning he did not do anything to dispel that elitist attitude.

The truth is that the Vikings and Coach Yates had a solid game plan. And God bless them, with the exception of the first drive and the fumbled snap early in the first quarter, which put them down 14-0, the YOUNG Vikings played their hearts out against in my opinion, a better team.

I will agree with you, I would rather not play Jackson in anything. Alas, I "don't call the shots" either.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

Wellston's excuse is that Jackson school size is too big. I might agree with that. However, schools like burg and Ironton can play big time football and they are smaller. But I don't know why Vinton would not want to play Jackson. The school size is very comparable. Actually, Vinton could easily fit in the SEAOL (size, facilities location). I suggest when Zanesville leave Vinton takes their place :122246 Step up to the plate.

Coach Wolford has one thing and one thing only to worry about and that is HIS TEAM. He speaks from the heart. He does not prepare his radio interview hoping to make Vinton County people happy. If you have ever coached before, after a game the first thing that goes through your mind is things that you can do better. Maybe next time we play you can write his speech. Maybe it would go like this: Jackson did not deserve to win. Jackson is not that good. Viking 52 and Hawkeye Pierce feel that Jackson got lucky and Jackson fans are to arrogant and the fans hurt their feelings and I coach wolford apologize for thier actions. I coach wolford also apologize for letting my back-up qb get a chance to throw a few balls late in the game. Just because he busts his tale in practice Viking 52 and Hawkeye feels he has not earned that right. I apologize for winning. I know we are not very good but we won. I apologize that a Vinton alumni has ran our athletic department into a deficit and now we have to charge two dollars for parking. Congrats to Vinton for playing us. You guys need marbles!

Do-Your-Job
Riding the Bench

Post by Do-Your-Job »

I can understand why coach Wolford might've been not completely happy with the performance. Jackson had a lot of costly turnovers last year that held them back. They're worried about doing well in the SEOAL, not beating Vinton County, which is a given year in and year out. Just like Vinton County beating Jackson year in and year out is a given in basketball right now. Coach Wolford knows turning it over 3 times won't cut it against Portsmouth or Logan or Chilly or any other good SEOAL team. So Jackson I'm sure is happy to win and get a shutout, but improvements still need to be made.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I dont know why you guys cant leave Wellston out of this. Besides it dont matter the Rockets and Ironmen will be playing the next 4 seasons on saturday nights like it or not . :!:

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Remember - two months ago today in fact - when I said on here, and I still stand behind it, that if you are not from Vinton County or represent Vinton County in some way, then hawkeyepierce - deep down - thinks what good are you really to the human race? Well, that has not changed IMHO.

In the pressbox Friday night, he "bumped" my chair out of the way at halftime. We did not acknowledge each other and had no intention to. I was simply standing there talking to another reporter when hawkeyepierce walked right behind me and "bumped" my chair. I just laughed and the other reporter and myself talked about it afterward. I'm sure he will claim it was an accident, but I say - given our past ninth-month frosty relationship - it was either intentional or he was very clumsy or both.

I've reached the conclusion that hawkeyepierce is one of these people who honestly beleives he is NEVER, EVER wrong. He would rather knowingly be wrong and get the last word in than be right and just admit he made a mistake.

I've been wrong before and I make my share of mistakes. But when I am wrong or when I do make mistakes, I am man enough to admit it.

Now, that said, good luck to the Ironmen this week against Portsmouth and to the Vikings against Waverly.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Was you even there? I didn't see you. Sorry I bumped your chair. But boy, you do sure have this neurotic, obsessive preoccupation with me, it needs to stop, it is unhealthy. It is one thing to be a fan but you have a problem. I believe your neurosis to be a symptom of a greater issue, your narcissistic personality disorder. You need help.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

Hawkeye talk about disorders. You may have paranoia. Everybody is against Vinton County and everbody puts them down. Could be voices you hear in your head. :122246 Relax enjoy life.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Maybe so. Sometimes. Could be. I am. Today, I am coaching Fall League baseball. I wonder what everyone else is doing?

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

My goodness gentlemen, cant we all just get along :122245 ...When the VC vs Jackson series started in, im thinking 1992, a lot of people were excited about it...VC was having a lot of success at the time and figured they could compete with Jackson...Unfortunatly that wasnt the case...Jackson had their way with VC that year in Jackson...Then in '93 VC had, in my opinion, the best team Ive seen around the area in a while and crushed a young Ironmen team 50-14 and it couldve been 70-0 but VC showed some mercy...The two teams didnt play in '94 for some reason but VC couldve won that game...Then in '95 Jackson won a hard fought game 20-6...then in '97 VC had a talented team that upset a very solid Jackson team...For the next 10 years this series hasnt really been close...But I still think they should play it...VC is a D3 school that gives Jackson some points...Its a big gate and I love going to the Jackson Alumni Stadium...If VC is tired of getting beat by Jackson then do something about it on the field...Jackson plays a very hard conference schedule and no matter what Logan fans say..Wellston, VC, and Waverly isnt a cakewalk...Wellston and VC are almost guaranteed wins but the Ironmen can work on what they need to and build some confidence for the SEOAL..the Vikes and Rockets are glad when the TVC play gets here...As a Vike fan and a fomer player I never saw Jackson as a huge rivalry...nothing like Wellston and NY...I really enjoy Jackson football and listening to their radio announcers..they are very classy and very knowledgable about the game and they always show VC respect...As a matter of fact I work with alot of Ironmen and they all root for VC...I just think that this is a good series for both teams and VC in all honesty should have a better football program than they do now...The Vikes havent really been that competitive sine Matt Queen..that was kind of the end of the ORourke era...Im not sure what all this means but I love this game and I always pull for the Vikes , Rockets , and Ironmen.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

hawkeye....Do you have selective amnesia? Yes I was there and yes you walked right behind me and yes you "bumped" my chair!

Like I said, getting the last word in means more to you than anything else. If someone can reason with you, then they are a better individual than I am.

See you in week six...when VC visits Wellston.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I've only heard 1 Shane Wolford postgame interview on the radio and it was after the Wellston game. He was very complimentary of Wellston the entire time.....and that's after a believed to be icy relationship between he and Mantell.

Shane saw way too many turnovers to be focusing on the opponent.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Keyser_soze78 wrote:
Like I said, getting the last word in means more to you than anything else.

No it doesn't!

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Forgot to post the story and stats on the game before I left early sat a.m. for South Bend and the SDSU-Notre Dame game. Enjoy.

Ironmen blank Vikes to move to 3-0

By PAUL BOGGS
Sports Editor

The Jackson High School football team is known for its run-oriented offensive attack.

On Friday night at Alumni Stadium, the Ironmen displayed a “Trace” of an aerial assault.

Brandon Trace that is.

The senior tight end Trace caught two touchdown passes as the Ironmen amassed more passing yards than rushing in their 27-0 shutout of the visiting Vinton County Vikings.

The win kept Jackson perfect on the season at 3-0, as it has scored at least 27 points in all three of its victories.

The Ironmen also notched their 11th straight victory over Vinton County, which fell to 1-2 overall and gave up at least 27 points for the second straight week.

Last week, Jackson scored 27 points against Waverly, while the Vikings scored eight late points to prevent a blanking by Bloom-Carroll.

This week, the Maroon and White were not as fortunate.

Jackson forced seven Vinton County punts and three turnovers, as an eighth punt attempt resulted in a bad snap in which the Red and White recovered at the VC 5-yard-line.

Two plays later, Cody Huff had a 2-yard touchdown run as the Ironmen were up 14-0 with just 4:13 gone by.

From there, Brown connected with Trace for a pair of long scoring strikes, occurring with eight minutes to go in the second stanza and nine minutes remaining in the final frame.

Both routes were down-the-middle to the tight end Trace, who caught his first one for 54 yards and the other for 62 to make it 27-0.

For the game, the Ironmen amassed 40 more passing yards than rushing yards (165-125), as Brown completed 6-of-7 including four to Trace.

Trace caught 152 of Brown’s 165 passing yards.

“Sometimes you have to do it a little differently than what you are accustomed to,” said Jackson coach Shane Wolford of the victory. “Brandon Trace had a big night receiving the ball, and Josh was able to put the ball right on the money. It just helps to be a little more versatile as far as throwing and running.”

Wolford explained that he expected the Vikings to stack the line of scrimmage and play the Ironmen’s running game.

Vinton County crept the line with as many as eight, nine or even 10 men defensively.

“We knew that they would have eight men in the box all night, and we figured they would be cutting at our legs and stuff like that too,” said Wolford. “That was pretty smart on their part. We tried to sweep them some tonight and it worked early on. They were able to stop a lot of our run, but we were able to throw the ball pretty well.”

Trace’s first reception on the first play from scrimmage actually set the tone for the first half.

The Ironmen received the opening kickoff and got a 30-yard return to their own 48, as Brown found Trace on a flag route for a 21-yard hookup.

After an 11-yard gain by fullback Klay Arthur, and a 19-yard scamper by Huff, Arthur found the end zone from four yards away and Jackson led 6-0 with a minute-and-a-half gone by.

Placekicker Ryan Mullins then made the first of his three extra points on the night, as Jackson led 21-0 with eight minutes to play before halftime.

It was the second straight week in which Jackson jumped out to a three-touchdown cushion.

That was more than enough margin for the defense to protect.

Of the Vikings’ first eight possessions, Jackson forced six three-and-outs, including the opener which resulted in the bad snap on the actual punt attempt.

Vinton County’s second series resulted in two plays before another fumble, as the next four were three-and-outs followed by three plays right before the half.

That’s when Vinton County picked up its only first downs of the first two quarters, one coming on a Jackson personal foul penalty and the other on a 10-yard run by quarterback Andy Grillo.

That was the Vikings’ second-longest gain of the night, as Grillo’s 13-yard pass completion in the first half went for the longest.

In fact, the Vikings failed to cross midfield until their first drive of the second half, which also resulted in a three-and-out.

They crossed midfield only twice the entire game, as their longest drive in the first half stopped at their own 33.

On their second drive of the second half, the Vikings penetrated to the Jackson 38, but Grillo was intercepted by Huff at the Ironmen 10-yard line.

Huff also made the two fumble recoveries for Jackson.

For the game, the Ironmen stymied the Vikings to only 62 rushing yards on 42 tries, part of 75 total yards and a half-dozen first downs.

Wolford praised his defense, which is coordinated by assistant coach Chad Reynolds.

“The defense played great. I was pleased that they were flying around. A lot of times we had seven or eight guys flying to the ball,” he said. “We haven’t given up much rushing, and we’ve been pretty successful against the pass thus far. As long as our defense keeps playing well, we should be okay. They are doing a great job, and our defensive coaches do a good job of scouting and letting the kids know what is coming. You can’t say anything bad about the defense. That is for sure. If another team can’t score, they can’t beat you.”

Jackson has held all three of its opponents to 62 rushing yards or less.

Kyle Matteson managed 42 yards on 14 carries for Vinton County, as Grillo — under pressure all evening from the Ironmen— gained 16 yards on nine totes.

Jackson was 10 yards shy of another 300, as Huff led the way on the ground with 53 yards on 17 carries.

Brown and Arthur added eight carries apiece for 27 and 25 yards respectively.

Both teams ran 48 plays from scrimmage, but Jackson’s passing game and dominating defense were the difference.

The Ironmen, which entertain Portsmouth next week in the Southeastern Ohio Athletic League opener, do have things to work on, though.

Huff did fumble three times, including losing two in the first half.

Turnovers have been the downfall of the Ironmen against the Trojans the past two years.

And, that will be something that Wolford and his team will work on this week in preparation for Portsmouth.

He admitted in the postgame interview that “I don’t think the kids are real satisfied.”

“You win, but you’re not satisfied with it. I wasn’t real happy with the offense and I felt like we could have done better,” said Wolford. “But I’m hoping that it wakes them up and we have another big performance next week.”

Like the Ironmen had in their three non-league games.

Vinton County, conversely, returns home and welcomes Waverly, which lost to Jackson 27-20 before rallying to beat Wellston 35-21 on Friday (see related story).

Vinton Co. 0 0 0 0 — 0

Jackson 14 7 0 6 — 27

J — Klay Arthur, 4-yard run (Ryan Mullins kick), 10:25, 1st (7-0 J)

J — Cody Huff, 2-yard run (Ryan Mullins kick), 7:47, 1st (14-0 J)

J — Brandon Trace, 54-yard pass from Josh Brown (Ryan Mullins kick), 8:06, 2nd (21-0 J)

J — Brandon Trace, 62-yard pass from Josh Brown (kick failed), 8:57, 4th (27-0 J)

TEAM STATISTICS

VC J

First Downs 6 12

Scrimmage Plays 48 48

Rushing (No.-Yds) 42-62 38-125

Passing (Cmp.-Att.-Int.) 1-6-1 6-10-0

Passing Yards 13 165

Total Yards 75 290

Fumbles (No.-Lost) 2-2 5-3

Penalties (No.-Yds) 7-48 8-65

Punts (No.-Ave.) 7-28.4 3-40.7

INDIVIDUAL LEADERS

RUSHING

Vinton County: Kyle Matteson 14-42, Andy Grillo 9-16, Anthony Bentley 8-5, Cody Meacham 5-11, Dakota Johnson 2-(-4), Adam Ward 1-5, Tommy Bentley 1-1, Ryan Saya 1-0, Team 1(-14); Jackson: Cody Huff 17-53 TD, Klay Arthur 8-35 TD, Josh Brown 8-27, Eric Landrum 3-9, Derrick Meredith 1-1, Nathaniel Haller 1-0

PASSING

Vinton County: Andy Grillo 1-6-1-13; Jackson: Josh Brown 6-7-0-165 2TD, Eric Landrum 0-2-0-0, Tyler Boggs 0-1-0-0

RECEIVING
Vinton County: Brandon Clark 1-13; Jackson: Brandon Trace 4-152 2TD, Cody Huff 1-7, Lukas Lindamood 1-6

Andy
Waterboy

Post by Andy »

This game is online over at www.nextvsports.com

Return to “Football”