Ranking area teams since the PDT won't!!!!

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Ranking area teams since the PDT won't!!!!

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Since the coverage of area teams has been so poor in the Portsmouth Daily Times I have decided to create my own rankings. You would think they would be able to cover local teams but it must be pretty time consuming copying and pasting all the stories from the A.P.

Enough about that, lets get down to business. All teams from the SEOAL South and SOC are eligible, these are just my opinion and I welcome the opinions of others, however try not to put down teams after all these are high schoolers.

1. Wheelersburg (1-0) – The Burg is in a youth movement this year, however with the upset of Ironton it seems as if the Burg has reloaded again. A great win for a young team, also a great throw by backup QB Shank and a great catch by fellow sophomore Andy Stegman.
2. Portsmouth (1-0) – Just like the Burg, the Trojans are a youth dominated team. The Trojans showed flashes of brilliance Friday against OVC champs South Point, but were unable to slam the door letting them come all the way back to take the lead. It is what happened from this point why I put the Trojans at #2, they responded with a big drive and interception to secure the win
3. Chillicothe (0-1) I know they started with a loss, but I don’t think there is a team on the list that could beat Brookhaven. The Cavs played very close but were unable to get the job done. It doesn’t get any easier from here with a week 2 trip to D3 state champ Big Walnut a week 3 game with Sheridan before opening league play with Zanesville, Portsmouth and Ironton. Look for the Cavs to drop in the poll before a rebound in the 2nd half of the season. We won’t talk about Logan till after league play has started.
4. Minford (1-0) – Probably the team on the list with the most returning from last season. After an 8-3 season last year the Falcons are back and ready to make a run at the SOC and the playoffs. Minford was able to open up week one with a strong victory against an over matched River Valley team. Look for more of the same for the next month ‘til things starts to heat up in conference play.
5. Ironton (0-1) - I know I will take some heat for this but its still Ironton. Coach Lutz and Ironton don’t like to lose and have traditionally performed very well following a loss. I don’t see any other bumps in the road for Ironton’s version of the redeem team till they get to Logan in week five, but they better have everything together by then or this season could look similar to the last two.
6. Jackson (1-0) The Ironmen are expected to be improved from last season and open week one with a blowout win over an out manned Wellston team. It will be interesting to see how they handle Waverly this week. Jackson better get as many wins as they can now because their league schedule looks to be the toughest around.
7. West (1-0) - The Senators were a young team last year that took a few lumps but were able to hang in with some good teams. This could be a breakout year for the Westside; the next two weeks will show just how far they have come since last year. Look for West to be in contention for at least a share of the SOC in week 10.
8. Gallia Academy (1-0) - The Blue Devils entered the season with an unimpressive victory over Athens. They should be fine this week against Point Pleasant, but then the grind of the SEOAL may take a toll on the Blue Devils. Gallia went 4-6 last year losing 2 games by 3 points 2 others by 11 and 12 respectively. Don’t be surprised if some of the close games start to fall their way.
9. East ( 1-0) Like Minford the Tartans return a lot for last season which saw them win a 2nd straight SOC title. East is the team to beat in SOC 1, which could heat up with the Tartans week 6 match up against an up start Oak Hill team and again in week 7 when the Vikings of Symmes Valley come to call. With the exception of the 2 earlier mentioned games and a possible rivalry upset week 10 with Notre Dame the Tartans should be able to walk through their season with relative ease.
10. Valley (1-0) The Indians started off their 2008 campaign on the right foot with a victory over Huntington Ross. The Indians have what is probably their best team since moving up to SOC 2, the only problem is this looks like a strong year for the conference. The Indians are a team that has experienced some lumps as of late but are poised to make some noise and could be a Cinderella within the conference, but for now they will share the tenth spot on the list.
10. Waverly (1-0) L.A.W. or life after Walls seems to be just fine for the Tigers offense putting up 54 points against Piketon. Then bad news the Tigers allowed 53. A wins a win but it doesn’t get any easier from here. Find a defense and the Tigers will be tough to beat.
12. Symmes Valley, Notre Dame, Green and Oak Hill- At this point I don’t think I know enough about any of these teams to give them the number eleven ranking out right. SV and ND both won against teams that are not normal powers, while Green beat a Manchester team who is in their first year of varsity play. Oak Hill had a one point loss to Chesapeake. Oak Hill and Symmes Valley and prove themselves in the coming weeks, and if anybody knocks off East watch out, till then I think it’s just a race for # 2 in SOC 1.
16. Northwest- (0-1) New coach, same result! After week one the Mohawks seem to be right where the left off last season. East took it to them in week one and even though the Mohawks are playing down in divisions I still don’t see many opportunities for victories this year. This is just my opinion, upsets happen. Try to shock the world!
Last edited by Trojan_FB_Alum on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Re: Ranking area teams since the PDT won't!!!!

Post by ManitouDan »

minford ahead of Ironton ????--I have no love for I town football but C'mon ---- other than pretty good rankings

salemcat
JV Team

Post by salemcat »

Oh ye of little faith. Keep on doubting

salemcat
JV Team

Post by salemcat »

No Piketon on the list and Waverly that low????????????

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

ManitouDan wrote:minford ahead of Ironton ????--I have no love for I town football but C'mon ---- other than pretty good rankings
Minford was a playoff team last year and has a lot back. I look for a big year from the Falcons. Head to head Ironton may beat Minford? We don't and won't know. This is just the way I see it from what has happened so far. The Tigers have plenty of chances to move up.

salemcat wrote:No Piketon on the list and Waverly that low????????????
As I stated in my first post I’m ranking all the SOC and SEOAL south, these are the teams I follow and had to make a cut off some where. As for Waverly any team that gave up 53 points needs some serious help and should just be happy to be 1-0.

sleeper
Waterboy

Post by sleeper »

The list looks good to me.

Post by Karma »

Looks good to me T-FB-A...looking forward to seeing how this progresses over the season....maybe you can e-mail a copy of your rankings to the PDT each week...just a thought...they are horrible this year...lol

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Karma wrote:Looks good to me T-FB-A...looking forward to seeing how this progresses over the season....maybe you can e-mail a copy of your rankings to the PDT each week...just a thought...they are horrible this year...lol

Maybe I can send it in as a letter to the editor each week, it might make it by the end of the season. :roll: I know, I'll see if the Shawnee Sentinel wants to start a sports page. :lol:

OVCfan
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan »

Look for the official SEOP Top 20 Power Poll coming after Week #4

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Trojan_FB;

I liked your comments about Valley, however this team is pretty young and we're hoping for a 6-4 season for the Indians. I think next season we have the chance to make some serious noise in the SOC2.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Not bad, I like how you added in some SEOAL from the south to where the PDT just used scioto county teams but and those in the SOC.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

ManitouDan wrote:minford ahead of Ironton ????--I have no love for I town football but C'mon ---- other than pretty good rankings

Right now the Fighting Tigers are 0-1....[b]Minford is 1-0. I dont think that many are going to argue that Minford and Burg this year are pretty evenly matched, and Burg walked away with the win on I-town.

So I dont think that you are going to get alot of sympathy votes to move them up just yet.
[/b]

HE_HATE_ME10
Waterboy

Post by HE_HATE_ME10 »

Jackson over Waverly? We will see who the better of those two teams are on friday and my gut is telling me it's not Jackson. Other than that pretty solid rakings.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

HE_HATE_ME10 wrote:Jackson over Waverly? We will see who the better of those two teams are on friday and my gut is telling me it's not Jackson. Other than that pretty solid rakings.

Waverly had a one point shoot out victory over a Piketon team that has beat 2 teams with winning records (.600 or better) in the last 5 years. Get some D and we will talk!!!

HE_HATE_ME10
Waterboy

Post by HE_HATE_ME10 »

I was at the Jackson game on saturday and thier defense is not exactly great either. But I can see where your coming from there is NO REASON Waverly should not have beat Piketon by more than one point.

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

No love for Notre Dame? Northwest over ND?

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

TrojanBuff wrote:No love for Notre Dame? Northwest over ND?

The Titians are currently in a tie for 12th while Northwest is 16th.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Boy does that have a Scioto County spin on it! :lol:

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

I'll be interested to see what this list looks like after week 2.

Return to “Football”