Freshman Team

Re: Ironton's Bob Lutz - The Coach - Retires

Post by Ump »

I say Vass is next coach.

kahn
Freshman Team

Post by kahn »

As a reporter, Bob Lutz was no easy man to deal with.

His business was football though, not talking to the media, and he'll be missed for that.

Lord knows I'm glad I don't have to try and interview him again, but I do miss watching his teams play.

mr.hyde
Riding the Bench

Post by mr.hyde »

Cripes, Kahn.

Try not to choke on that thing.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

Just a few thoughts...

- THANKS!! THANKS!! THANKS!!

- It's been nice having my fall Friday nights planned for me for 40 or so years. :mrgreen:

- Offhand, I'd say that Coach Lutz's win mark just might be one of those "unbreakable" records.

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

HAMMER TIME!!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

tl895 wrote:HAMMER TIME!!
That would be my guess also as to who will lead the Fighting Tigers into action next year.

GO TIGERS...........

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Coach Lutz and Coach Burcham.

What can you say that hasn't allready been said about two great family men, parents, friends and mentors to just about everyone in this town and beyond. I would like to thank both of them for being mentors to so many kids (I can't even imagine how many lives they have affected over all those years). God Bless both of you and your families for letting us all be apart of your lives whether it was as a student, player, or a fan of this great Tiger Nation. Enjoy your much deserved Retirement.

Ohbuckeye1
Mark Childers, Class of 82

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Good Luck and enjoy!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Best wishes to Coach Lutz on his retirement..........he made Ironton High School Fighting Tigers football the model program for all of SE Ohio and one of the most respected around the state.

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

Happy Retirement Coach Lutz! 42 yrs is awful long time, so enjoy.
What about Burcham's son, Bart as head coach?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Will the new coach bring in a modern offense or will Ironton continue to run, run and run some more?

juke boxer
JV Team

Post by juke boxer »

Has Ryan Walker applied yet ? I heard he is on the list.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

trojandave wrote:Best wishes to Coach Lutz on his retirement..........he made Ironton High School Fighting Tigers football the model program for all of SE Ohio and one of the most respected around the state.
Dave? I heard Prince Trojan applied for the job at Ironton. Any truth to that?

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

i am thankful i was witness to one of the most incredible runs a person will ever see in sports at any level. 4 decades of excellence the likes of which we wont see again in this region for many years to come. and it wasnt just bob lutz. it was a commitment by an entire community to doing this one thing for a town and a school really well. he was just the guy who made us believe such a thing was doable. our job now is to get on board for the next guy. shouldn't be the train wreck it was with with Merrill t, cause if it is we will lose all momentum to go on. the program is in good shape except for scheduling problems. new school, turf coming, heck, with the right hire the sky's the limit

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

The greatest thing about this run is the memories we all share. There is not a trip taken with my buddies that don't include long conversations about the football days. Stories about Coach Sheridan, Coach Lutz, Coach Burcham, Coach Jones, Coach Ben, Coach Lewis, Coach Fogelsong, Coach Fugitt, Coach Handley. these were the coaches that we played for. Awesome group of men that could have all been head coaches in many high schools around our area. How fortunate that we had all of them at our school at the same time.
My favorite Coach Lutz memory? 1982 at Logan. What an awesome night to be a Fighting Tiger. i dont know any of us that were on that squad that doesnt tell those stories again and again.
1982 State Championship...the night before listening to Coach Lutz and Woody Hayes address our team at our evening meal...I cant tell you how exciting that was for a 16 year old kid.
Watching Coach Burcham's team ride into town with the firetruck after winning the 1972 State title...Unforgetable.
May you have a long and prosperous retirement.
Last edited by LucasJackson on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

Forgot to say Good Luck Bob and ENJOY. Congratulations on your outstanding career.

THE reason it was a train wreck before is because the assistant coaches put their EGOS ahead of helping players. So yea, you are right, it shouldn't be another train wreck if they keep it inside the two families. Plus, there is plenty of time to get things in order for next season, unlike the "train wreck" when they only had a month to prepare and no staff. I will root for the Tigers no matter who is the coach.
Last edited by dreamweaver on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i'm glad you clarified that dreamweaver. good for you, because i think coach tripp did an amazing job, with the hand he was dealt, and the kids loved him. he just did not have time to assemble an established , experienced staff. and probably had the toughest schedule that year, aside from this years , in recent fighting tiger football history. and still made the playoffs, then was classy enough to step down, after coach lutz decided to come back. coach lutz and coach burcham have had an amazing run, and an illustrious career. but they could not coach forever. now it's time for tiger fans to accept change , with the same support the team has now.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

kantucky II: Come on, kantucky, you know you don't want a Trojan coaching the Fighting Tigers.......... :)

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

tl895 wrote:i am thankful i was witness to one of the most incredible runs a person will ever see in sports at any level. 4 decades of excellence the likes of which we wont see again in this region for many years to come. and it wasnt just bob lutz. it was a commitment by an entire community to doing this one thing for a town and a school really well. he was just the guy who made us believe such a thing was doable. our job now is to get on board for the next guy. shouldn't be the train wreck it was with with Merrill t, cause if it is we will lose all momentum to go on. the program is in good shape except for scheduling problems. new school, turf coming, heck, with the right hire the sky's the limit
Pretty disrespectful. Merrill was never given a chance. The "train wreck", as you so eloquently put it, had nothing to do with his abilities as a coach. To be honest, it was a great coaching job leading that group to the playoffs while transitioning from one staff to a completely new staff.

Return to “Football”