PDT Coverage

Tartanblue
SEO

Re: PDT Coverage

Post by Tartanblue »

biggdowgg wrote:
Tartanblue wrote:I stopped getting the PDT along time ago, when we were paying for it they paper never showed up. Even when we called and told them about they said one would be on its way and it still never showed after about a week of it we called and told them to stop our order.

sounds like you never had an order to stop.

:aaaaa12

No not really other than them not coming to collect their money.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

we don't get any high school sports news till sunday morning in the ironton tribune. but it's very good coverage. and shows all the scores in the state.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I just went out and got my Sunday paper and I must say that this weekend was the worst reporting of our local high school football I have ever seen out of the PDT. None of the stories had a box score included which shows the score by quarters, leading rushers, passers or receivers. The stories in this mornings issue are a complete and utter failure of reporting on Minfords, Wests, and Valleys games and not even a mention of Notre Dames win. If this is what we can expect out of this so called "revamped" sports section of the PDT, then they might as well just give it up and go back to reporting on how many pills a person pulled over for DUI had in his pocket. That seems to be the hot topic for news in the PDT lately.

What used to be a top notch sports department has turned into a laughing stock.

salemcat
JV Team

Post by salemcat »

The Daily Times cannot tell me that when they finish their layout that they stand back, look at the finished product, and say "we did a great job".

I remember when they used to include everything locally----little league, jr. high, etc. Thank goodness for SEOP or I would not be in the know at all in local sports. I can remember as a kid seeing my name in little articles from my little league games and be proud of what I had done.

One word-----"Lazy" will describe these guys efforts. Again hardly working instead of working hard.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Too bad for the Scioto County folks. Gives journalism a black eye.

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

salemcat wrote:No preview section for the weekly games like they did last year.

Tennis, golf, soccer, and cross country results 3-5 days late when it is old news.

No list of all scores reported throughout Ohio and KY.

I also seen on several occasions where the SAME standings in Major League Baseball was ran for 3 days in a row.

The so-called scoreboard showed the same info several days in a row.

The apology letter said they are working hard--------more like hardly working.

I agree 100% with you salemcat! This is the worst newspaper in the state of Ohio! The Shawnee Sentinal has better coverage than they do! I would almost bet that none of these sports writers employed by the Portsmouth Dailey Times; have any degrees in journalism! The should change the name to: The Portsmouth Daily Cluster ---- Times!

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

Today's coverage of Friday nights games were hideous. No names in the Minford or Valley story. The Valley story had Tennis results in it. The West game was reported twice, and no report on the Green or Notre Dame games at all. Photos from only two locations. I mean they had almost 36 hours to write these stories. What did they do down there yesterday.
This is a disgrace. Again, apparently no one can proofread or edit either.
The scoreboard on the front page had two mistakes. Valley did not score 21 points but had 38. Green did not play Burch.
The paper had 5 pages of "sports" stories and almost all of the stories were national in coverage and taken directly off of the wire. We all could have found them somewhere on the web this morning before the Times ever reached our houses.
How sad. :(

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

I was out of town Friday and Sat. taking little Bama to college so I am late getting in on this coversation. I was really upset when I opened the Sat. edition and saw the lack of coverage given the area teams. I thought to myself that maybe games were late and the paper had to have stuff finished for deadlines on Friday night and game recaps would be in Sundays paper. Wrong!!! I have called the PDT times twice in the past 3 months, once for the lack of coverage on the Wheelersburg baseball team and then the lack of coverage on Post 23. I had a real nice reply from the current sports editor and thought I would give them a chance to right the ship but man, the paper has gotten worse if we can believe that. IMO, I really didnt think the PDT had anywhere to go but up but they suprised me again after this past weekend.

How hard is it to have a stringer write a short article for each local team playing at home? The PDT has 3 'writers' that I know of so they can cover the main games but get something decent on the other teams.

MuletownManiac
JV Team

Post by MuletownManiac »

PDT= Pitiful Disgusting Terrible.... PDT=Poorly Driven Team

some of my opinions of their football coverage.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

It goes to show that the PDT sports department is lazy and lacks alot of talent......which = poor newspaper sales.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

we need a post in defense of Mr. Bevens. He is taking a bunch of heat!

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Mr. Bevens as an individual isn't taking a bunch of heat. Mr. Bevens as part of the PDT sports staff is.

TheSportsGuy
Freshman Team

Post by TheSportsGuy »

hbk123 wrote:we need a post in defense of Mr. Bevens. He is taking a bunch of heat!
He deserves to be taking heat for some of the writing he does. The Waverly article was terrible. That, and one of the other game articles saturday morning were simply recaps of the scoring summary.

My favorite quote from his article "It was an absolute crazy high school football game."

Very intelligent. Very professional.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

I called and e-mailed them. I wasn't belligerent or hostile. Did I receive the courtesy of a response...NOPE! Real professional guys. I sent a press release in earlier this summer for an academic award that was received. Was it ran in the PDT? NOPE. Thankfully it was in the Community Common and even the Chillicothe Gazette picked it up and ran it.

I know we as a community have complained about the PDT for years, but they really are at an all-time low right now. Pretty sad. I am sure there were plenty of kids that had good stats from last weekend that would have been "stoked" to have their name and stats in the paper. So much for in-depth sports coverage.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

daily times likes any business leadership. if you cannot figure out local sports sells papers then find another profession. i certainly don't buy the paper for news. you'd better tempt me with some high school sports.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

alabama mike wrote:I was out of town Friday and Sat. taking little Bama to college so I am late getting in on this coversation. I was really upset when I opened the Sat. edition and saw the lack of coverage given the area teams. I thought to myself that maybe games were late and the paper had to have stuff finished for deadlines on Friday night and game recaps would be in Sundays paper. Wrong!!! I have called the PDT times twice in the past 3 months, once for the lack of coverage on the Wheelersburg baseball team and then the lack of coverage on Post 23. I had a real nice reply from the current sports editor and thought I would give them a chance to right the ship but man, the paper has gotten worse if we can believe that. IMO, I really didnt think the PDT had anywhere to go but up but they suprised me again after this past weekend.

How hard is it to have a stringer write a short article for each local team playing at home? The PDT has 3 'writers' that I know of so they can cover the main games but get something decent on the other teams.

How about contacting the schools and lettting a english student write something up, shoot a picture and compile some stats. At the end of the year pick the best entries and award a scholly to the best coverage. I should run for President. :122245

salemcat
JV Team

Post by salemcat »

wobycat wrote:
alabama mike wrote:I was out of town Friday and Sat. taking little Bama to college so I am late getting in on this coversation. I was really upset when I opened the Sat. edition and saw the lack of coverage given the area teams. I thought to myself that maybe games were late and the paper had to have stuff finished for deadlines on Friday night and game recaps would be in Sundays paper. Wrong!!! I have called the PDT times twice in the past 3 months, once for the lack of coverage on the Wheelersburg baseball team and then the lack of coverage on Post 23. I had a real nice reply from the current sports editor and thought I would give them a chance to right the ship but man, the paper has gotten worse if we can believe that. IMO, I really didnt think the PDT had anywhere to go but up but they suprised me again after this past weekend.

How about contacting the schools and lettting a english student write something up, shoot a picture and compile some stats. At the end of the year pick the best entries and award a scholly to the best coverage. I should run for President. :122245

Would definitely be an improvement :lol: :lol:

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

wobycat wrote:

I suggested this same exact thing back during baseball season and even sent an email to the PDT about it. My suggestion was to go to each school and see if there are any students that might be interested in journalism and let them travel with the teams and write a story about the game. Most schools already have a photographer going to the games to get pics for the yearbook and they could use those photos for the story. Of course I was told by a few on here that it wasn't feasible and the PDT never responded. I even suggested that the PDT could pick one student, or maybe multiple students, at the end of the year and give them a scholarship for journalism for college.

But, the PDT is only worried about how many pills you have in your pocket when you get pulled over for a DUI. That seems to be the front page news anymore.

Return to “Football”