Football Preview by The Daily Times

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Football Preview by The Daily Times

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

If you read it, what do you think? Practically every article is littered with mistakes. Does anyone there ever proofread or edit an article? Too bad, because it could be such a good thing.

Trojan Explosion
Freshman Team

Re: Football Preview by The Daily Times

Post by Trojan Explosion »

yeah,there was a ton of mistakes. they even had
the wheelersburg team photo on the valley page.
i don't think they even had the valley photo anywhere.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

And this surprises you how?

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I don't remember the Burg team photo on Valley's page, but they did have the Burg roster instead of Valley's.

It was sad to say the least and another thing I'm wondering, why did they single out one team for the cover? Why don't they go back to having one representative from each team they are covering in the preview?

sportsfan, it used to be a good thing. It was something you looked forward to getting right before the start of the season, but anymore, it is so hard to follow and then throw in the mistakes and that makes it so much worse.

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

Usually if they use one team for the cover there is at least a story to go with it. I guess we are left with just a guess.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

First of all the cover should not feature any one team.

Didn't they usually have 1 senior player from each team take a photo for the cover. Make more sense to me as this should not feature any one team.

Yes I cannot believe that Burg's roster was posted for Valley.

I bet they received alot of phone call yesterday.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

They have a habit of putting one team or player on the cover sometimes. One year I think they had a front page of JoJo Parker, another I think they even had it as a whole Wheelersburg cover once.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Don't see what the problem is to put one team on the cover. If there is one team that is clearly above others or was last season, it is definitely warranted.

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

I personally don't have a problem with the choosing of one team. I would just like a little story to go with it. Give the reading public a little insight as to why they chose the team or the individual.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

The Times need a serious overhaul. I have tried to get the sports editor to return some calls and they never do. Plus this was the first friday that they did not have features on a couple of games. Ironton tribune was great by the way, although they only featued Burg from this area.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Agree, if it focuses on one team, ideally it would be nice to have a feature. Don't know how their staffing and the such goes. That also has a barring on the situation.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

sportsfan_1959 wrote:Usually if they use one team for the cover there is at least a story to go with it. I guess we are left with just a guess.

There was supposed to be a story according to the preview, but the clowns at the times did not include it. Also, really tacky headline they had for Northwest. I don't care if it was a placeholder until they created the headline. That was completely classless and shows just how 2nd rate the PDT is. Oh and where were this week's predictions? Forgot to print those too?

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

bman618 wrote:Don't see what the problem is to put one team on the cover. If there is one team that is clearly above others or was last season, it is definitely warranted.

Ok, I had to chuckle on that one.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

The times had a full written apology in todays paper. Said there short staffed and are training new help.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

Why chuckle? I get sick of the mantra that we have to include everybody on the cover every time. It's the everyone gets a trophy crap. Life is not like that. I do not live in Portsmouth nor read their newspaper. The only thing they owe is a good and complete preview of each team. That is the part that is lacking since the paper admitted it.

salemcat
JV Team

Post by salemcat »

I look forward to looking at the preview each year, and came home from work and the paper was not in my box. There was one in my neighbor's box though. Whoever took it must have thought it was terrible also because it was in my box the next day. It appeared to have been read with wrinkled pages. I wish they would have kept it.

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

they left oak hill out

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

How about the articles on saturday morning?? There were none except three games. What about at least a short article about the rest of the teams. WHY IN THE HECK WOULD YOU PUT TENNIS AND GOLF SCORES IN THERE INSTEAD OF FOOTBALL? No excuse, this is worse than it was last year. Pathetic!! People should just drop their subscription, maybe then the sports department would pay attention to what the H*** they are doing or at least check the artilces before the print them. How about giving a few stats as well.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

The Portsmouth Daily Times newspaper is goin down hill along with P-towm itself

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

I did them a favor by writing and sending to them the Oak Hill preview story and team photo to help them out. They confirmed they got both. Low and behold, Buzz Fisher called me the day he got the preview and said it wasn't in there. Oh well, I did my part for them. I'm sorry to hear that the Scioto County schools are not getting covered properly by the PDT. It gives all of us in the industry a black eye.

Return to “Football”