All Conference

Re: WK 1 Gallia Academy @ Athens

Post by GAHS7462 »

Oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RVRaiderFan
All State

Post by RVRaiderFan »

Congrats to GA on the win! Hate to hear about the ejections!

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

the rule book calls for whether you connect or miss its basically fighting. goes for hands, feet, helmet, whatever. dont know why the play wasnt blown dead sooner :?:

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

Good win for the Blue Devils,hard faught game.What was the deal with the G.A. jerseys?

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

I came to this game with low expectations for the Bulldogs despite a very optimistic article about them in the local newspaper. however i stand corrected, Athens looked much improved from last year. i think the biggest improvement was the defense. i saw some very good tackles and i loved every minute of it; guys were wrapping up and hitting hard, none of this arm tackle BS i've seen in years past. i think the next thing the dogs need to work on is the o-line. the few big runs i saw last night were made by the backs bouncing outside and breaking tackles, i was not impressed with the o-line but i do see potential and i think Adams is more than capable of dealing with this issue.

all in all, it was a really good football game, very enjoyable to watch. gallia came out, played a very good game, held a decent lead throughout the game and was able to fight off a surge by athens in the late stages.

i think next week will be a rough one for Athens, Fed Hock is a new adversary for the dogs however they have a very good football program. i think athens will fight hard and give a valliant effort as they did last night but will ultimately come up short.

on another note, to everybody talking smack about athens because they left the SEOAL...as a student at AHS back when the decision was made i can tell you first hand that the students had no say whatsoever in the move therefore hoping these kids get "waxed" because of it is wrong and i'm disappointed to see such immaturity.

galliagrad89
Freshman Team

Post by galliagrad89 »

I assume because of the heat they wanted the boys to wear something that would help them get rid of the heat. Their normal game jerseys are extremely hot.

A-towndogs117
Waterboy

Post by A-towndogs117 »

did anyone else out there catch gridiron glory last night?? I think the new host definately needs some major work.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Congrats to GA on the win.......and Congrats to Athens for such a good showing in your first game as a representative of the TVC OHIO!!!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

One thing is for certain, Athens is a much improved football team. In every sense of the word 'improved'. Their was excitement before the game during a tail-gate party outside Rutter field, the stands were somewhat full (for an Athens game) and had it not been for a dismal first half offensivly, they might have actually pulled out a victory ... Athens played with fire, they played solid defense for 4 quarters and and Curtis Herron really stepped up big for Tope in the 2nd half. You gotta be pleased with the job Ryan Adams is doing as head football coach, you really couldn't ask for more out of a guy and if ANYONE in this world could actually change the culture at Athens high school when it comes to football, it's Adams.

Galllia - Probably didn't play their best game and will most likely get better as the season progresses ... That is how most teams with a complex offense fare during a season ... Wandling is a super tough player, a very good QB that has better days ahead of him ... I would not be surprised if he has a 100 yrd passing, 100 yrd rushing game this season at sometime.

Good luck to both teams next week!

bluedevil
JV Team

Post by bluedevil »

gallia played with out a couple of their top linemen in xavier lewis and jon kyger

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

What happened to Kyger?

bluedevil
JV Team

Post by bluedevil »

they said on the radio last night that he is still recovering from minor injuries

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

93Bulldog wrote:One thing is for certain, Athens is a much improved football team. In every sense of the word 'improved'. Their was excitement before the game during a tail-gate party outside Rutter field, the stands were somewhat full (for an Athens game) and had it not been for a dismal first half offensivly, they might have actually pulled out a victory ... Athens played with fire, they played solid defense for 4 quarters and and Curtis Herron really stepped up big for Tope in the 2nd half. You gotta be pleased with the job Ryan Adams is doing as head football coach, you really couldn't ask for more out of a guy and if ANYONE in this world could actually change the culture at Athens high school when it comes to football, it's Adams.

Galllia - Probably didn't play their best game and will most likely get better as the season progresses ... That is how most teams with a complex offense fare during a season ... Wandling is a super tough player, a very good QB that has better days ahead of him ... I would not be surprised if he has a 100 yrd passing, 100 yrd rushing game this season at sometime.

Good luck to both teams next week!

Athens has a good one in Ryan Adams. The Bulldogs will be contenders in the TVC as long as he is there.

Adams at Athens, Schob at Marietta, and Grandstaff at Zanesville are alums who are going to win a ton of football games at their school.

Good Luck to Athens in the TVC this fall.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

kyger played!!!

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

theassassin wrote:sit 20% of season. football 1 game, basketball would be 2 games

I graduated from Vinton County and they taught me that 20% of 10 is TWO, so he would have to sit TWO games. For a basketball season it is FOUR games.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Unless rules have changed...FB = 1 game,,,,BB= 2 games

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

^^^that's what i thought

gahs4ever wrote:As always, one of the highlights of our trips to Athens is the dining on State St pre-game and hooking up again with old friends like Mr/Mrs Freddy Gibson,

ol' Gibby is a dandy. i've always wondered if there is anybody in SEO he doesn't know :lol:

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

I really had a problem with both ejections, it was a knee jerk decision by the officials to make that call. We have all seen much worse and no ejections. the explanations to both coaches was terribly long. If you are going to tell them what your doing than go and do so and get on with it. Blacksunshine was right Athens got hosed on a spot that was ruled a first down for the Blue. There where a lot of things that needs worked on but a few good things as well. Mason had a nice feild goal and CJ Harrison played extremly well, I think he blocked a extra point and put pressure on there qb all night. The Allison kid runs hard as well as freshman Ethan Moore and before the year is over Austin Wilson will break into the open feild for a few scores. Also Quinton Nibert caught a few break away Athens runners. Not bad for a lot of kids who have just got there first taste of varsity ball.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The 3rd down conversion play in the 2nd half was in fact a TERRIBLE call ... I mean, it was 3rd and 9, everyone in the press box trying to keep track of plays had said the player had gained 8 yards on the play and some of em had even written down ... BUT, the ref for some crazy reason raises arm to signal first down, without even freakin measuring??? Nut's I say ... But, Athens did stop em on the next possesion but lossed valuable time on the clock and important field position. It didn't cost Athens the game by any means, I would say the dropped punt/fumble after Athens came within 2 points and could have taken the lead had they not muffed the punt.

Oh well, no reason to play woulda, coulda, shoulda ... Im just happy to see Athens play good, solid football! Im willing to bet others in the stands and other Athens football fans would definitly agree.

GAHSfan06
Waterboy

Post by GAHSfan06 »

1, this was some bad officiating. on the ejection of 2 players, they let the pile circulate without one of them stepping up and start pulling players off the pile. 1st game of the season, and these officials get a power trip. why was the gallia player ejected only after the official talked to the athens coach, where as the athens player was ejected immediately.
2, horrible judgement on the 1st down call where the spot deserved a definite measurement.
3, 12 players were on the field a numerous amount of times for both without the whistle being blown.

all in all, a hard fought game. both teams have plenty to work on.

gallia should have some success, they seem to have some speed at the skill positions.

Return to “Football”