gridiron grory

Steely Dan
SEOP

Re: gridiron grory

Post by Steely Dan »

OK, now we know who you are. I figured I would draw you out eventually.

Now this is the biggest crock I've every read on here:

"I'm defending the kids you were bullying."

What kids, and what bullying???? To try and twist my honest opinion into "bullying" or "whining" is incredulous.

Here's how I'm leaving this....

It is obvious that you are a kid with emotional ties to the program.....

That's OK, and I applaud you for standing up and defending yourself. I'd expect it from my own kid, and you have certainly stood up for yourself. Congrats.

As for the ghosts from the past, congrats on defending your protege's, that is admirable as well.

I am sorry if you kids think that I am too harsh, I am just trying to point out some "deficiencies" and make the show better. You don't want honest feedback, that is OK, too.

You are not going to see too many folks at my age, and position, give you a ton of honest feedback for free.

I will not do it any more, either. Good luck in the future, and I hope that you know enough, and are ready, for what waits for you.

KFL52
Waterboy

Post by KFL52 »

I'm just wondering why you think I'm a kid. I'm an Ohio grad, a military veteran, and a professional video and web producer. Nice job trying to take the easy way out of the discussion by falsely predicting that I'm a kid :lol:

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

You just proved that you are a "kid" with that juvenile response.

Congratulations and you won't hear from me again, Junior.....

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Thank You Gridiron Glory for your work and the time you put in while being a college student.

What site do I need to look up to watch it online or a podcast?

Thanks

KFL52
Waterboy

Post by KFL52 »

I really can't find a laughing smiley big enough to fully demonstrate how ridiculously that ended.

Ironman, go to www.woub.org/gridiron to watch the show. If that doesn't work, iTunes has it set up as a podcast.

I'm going to go and play jacks now, or eat a giant lollipop, or maybe play with my voltron action figures. That's what us "kids" in our late-20s do these days. That and work full-time jobs, pay taxes, and raise families.

To the GG guys who are undoubtedly reading this, keep up the good work. I couldn't be prouder of you guys and how far the show has come.

OUbobcat06
Waterboy

Post by OUbobcat06 »

Wow... You really "drew him out" there...

"I was fortunate enough to work on Gridiron Glory for four years"...

First ever post on SEOPS and he says he's worked on GG. Congrats for being such a top notch Sleuth...

As far as the "Real World" mantra you keep spouting, KFL and I (and the rest of the GG alums) could sit here and rattle off our professional experiences, careers, jobs, and awards, but what purpose would that serve? If you're so concerned with our future, google us and your mind will certainly be put at ease when you realize we're doing just fine.

Here is your "empirical evidence"... enjoy...

http://muskingumvalleyleagueforum.yuku. ... tml?page=1
http://muskingumvalleyleagueforum.yuku. ... eply-64430

Just because the MVL isn't in your Universe of Football, doesn't mean they don't appreciate and enjoy GG just as much as you do. I had no idea schools like Sheridan even existed when I was in High School down here, but there are some very good fans and athletes in that region.

And for you NY fans, its gonna be a good one! Unfortunately I won't be there because I'll be out of town working... Go MARAUDERS!

Now excuse me while I go try to find a Power Ranger action figure in my box of Captain Crunch...

Evan
Last edited by OUbobcat06 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

To those of you who work on GG, good program. I just wish my DirecTv would cooperate so I can again watch the show. I have been scrambling home on Friday nights after the game to watch it, but for the past 2 weeks it has been off air. It is MUCH better than the coverage that news stations give after their 11pm news, that focuses on 3 states and bare glimpses of coverage of the games they do cover with most being coverage of fans and the teams running out onto the field.

Since you are based in Athens, I dont expect much coverage for the Scioto County teams, but some weeks, surprisingly, you do get good coverage from some of the local teams in our area.

I dont think that most people understand the nerves of being a young man or women, in front of the camera, doing your best for other people's entertainment.

I find it disheartening that some on here threaten to "pull funding" for the show because they are not getting the exact coverage that they want on the show. My philosophy would be take your money next year and do a show of your own!

For those of you that want to cry around about what they do, it is much better to have the coverage they provide than to not have any at all.

If you think that high school sports coverage is poor in your area, or your kids name isnt in the spotlight as much as it should be, move to Scioto County and check out the Portsmouth Daily Times paper. They barely cover more than 2 teams in the entire county and what they do cover looks like it has been written by my 9 year old.

GG- keep up the good work and hopefully soon I will be camped out in front of the tube at 11:30 Friday night watching on Direct Tv!

buckeyeguy
Varsity

Post by buckeyeguy »

i have watched GG for 2 years.. who cares if its good or great its still a good thing to have in south eastern ohio football country to get scores and such.. its just a show if u want to complain about it dont watch it...wwhhaaaaaa :o :o

Ironman61
Riding the Bench

Post by Ironman61 »

GG is a great show i watch it every week....sure if it could be longer that would be awesome but you cant ask more out of the people who are volunteering their time....
Keep up the great work we appreciate it here in Ironmen country

Do-Your-Job
Riding the Bench

Post by Do-Your-Job »

As I said in an earlier post, Gridiron Glory is a great show. The 'kids' work hard. Imagine if this show never started? The show makes athletes around here look like rock stars, with the highlights and players of the year packages.

And man, Steely Dan, I must say your last few posts left me in shock. I don't see how anyone can take any of your posts seriously again. Do you think Ironman92, Ironman61, buckeyeguy, bleeding red and myself are all former GG workers too since we're defending the show? Or maybe we're just not adults either. Steely Dan was the only person coming across to me as a 'kid' in that arguement. Sounded like the former GG staff members knew what they were talking about.

Hard to imagine why someone wouldn't like the rewind segment. When I saw that advertised on the preview show, I was pumped up!!! Not only is it great to remember the past, but Kelly Brennan has to be the best current GG member!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

watch the show every Friday night and love it--just wish it was an hour long show.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

4. MVL-TVC-ETC -- This really is a non issue. You think that the TVC and SEOAL are the bread and butter, but thats only because you have no idea what exists outside our two-three county radius. The MVL loves Gridiron Glory. Heck, look how many players of the year have come from there, look at all the signs that are made by MVL fans for Gridiron, go to their message board and see what they've got to say.

Well maybe they love you so much because you have given their players the Player of the Year award so many times. There were two issues you gave the award to an MVL player when an SEOAL or TVC guy was more deserving but it only makes sense they love you because of all the hardware you have thrown at them.

Last of all I just wish you guys who are bashing the show would realize what you have. I just spent the last year in Arizona and there wasn't any friday night shows whatsoever. There was an extra 10 minutes on the end of the news and that was it.

You're comparing Arizona to Ohio football?? What's next California football to Montana??? There isnt a show like GG because no one cares in Arizona. Behind Texas, Florida and California; Ohio is the biggest state for football in the country!! There is an hour long scoreboard show on the radio to cover all the schools in Central Ohio every Friday as well as 20 mins of football Friday night, 20 mins of First and 10 and 15 mins on channel 6. All for just Central Ohio!! There is a reason!! People live and breath it. That same thing cant be said for ARIZONA!!! With all your preaching about what is and isnt accountable in SE Ohio, you should know that.

The only gripe I ever had about that show was that those kids; regardless of their efforts, are to busy trying be like Stuart Scott or Keith Obermen instead of being Jimmy Smith from Orrville broadcasting on OUB. Find your own style and quit trying to be funny and like someone else. It comes off as bad and it comes off like they are trying way to hard and it takes away from the content.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

I USE TO WATCH THE SHOW EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT..... BUT, NOW I HAVE D TV AND THEY DON'T COVER IT. :cry: :mad: :mad: BUT, I DO WATCH IT EVERY WEEK ON OUB'S WEB SITE AND I HAVE DO THAT FOR YEARS NOW.
I JUST WISH IT WAS A LONGER SHOW AND THEY STAYED MORE TO THE AREA TEAMS. IF THE MVL LIKES THE GG SHOW THEN HAVE OUZ START THEIR OWN SHOW.
GG BROADCASTS FROM THAT AREA LIVE EVERY WEEK!!!!

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Logan grad wrote:
4. MVL-TVC-ETC -- This really is a non issue. You think that the TVC and SEOAL are the bread and butter, but thats only because you have no idea what exists outside our two-three county radius. The MVL loves Gridiron Glory. Heck, look how many players of the year have come from there, look at all the signs that are made by MVL fans for Gridiron, go to their message board and see what they've got to say.

Well maybe they love you so much because you have given their players the Player of the Year award so many times. There were two issues you gave the award to an MVL player when an SEOAL or TVC guy was more deserving but it only makes sense they love you because of all the hardware you have thrown at them.

Last of all I just wish you guys who are bashing the show would realize what you have. I just spent the last year in Arizona and there wasn't any friday night shows whatsoever. There was an extra 10 minutes on the end of the news and that was it.

You're comparing Arizona to Ohio football?? What's next California football to Montana??? There isnt a show like GG because no one cares in Arizona. Behind Texas, Florida and California; Ohio is the biggest state for football in the country!! There is an hour long scoreboard show on the radio to cover all the schools in Central Ohio every Friday as well as 20 mins of football Friday night, 20 mins of First and 10 and 15 mins on channel 6. All for just Central Ohio!! There is a reason!! People live and breath it. That same thing cant be said for ARIZONA!!! With all your preaching about what is and isnt accountable in SE Ohio, you should know that.

The only gripe I ever had about that show was that those kids; regardless of their efforts, are to busy trying be like Stuart Scott or Keith Obermen instead of being Jimmy Smith from Orrville broadcasting on OUB. Find your own style and quit trying to be funny and like someone else. It comes off as bad and it comes off like they are trying way to hard and it takes away from the content.

The POY award is given out based on the votes of the fans. Every league and division has a representative, which can be voted on by anyone. Therefore, the MVL players winning the award only furthers the point OUbobcat06 was making in his post. The MVL players keep winning, that means the MVL people are voting. If they are voting, they are obviously paying attention to Gridiron Glory. Yes, the TVC schools are at a disadvantage in a popular vote system, but the SEOAL schools are not. They must not be watching the show as much as the MVL.

As far as comparing Arizona to Ohio is concerned, you are missing the point. Your point can become valid when you can show everyone the TV station that will cover SEO Football exclusively, if GG quits their coverage. Until then, you are simply moving the goalposts of this argument. The original poster's point was merely made to help people understand how bad it can get, and how thankful they should be for the show. It makes no difference how Ohio football in its entirety compares to Arizona football. The fact is, SEO would be either totally ignored, or only given a glimpse of coverage if GG were to go off the air.

Plus, the GG workers put in a lot of effort in preparation for the show and in other areas of concentration. We are not talking about people who do a sports show, but refuse to do any other kind of work at the station. They show up every day, and put in the work and effort. I was not a part of it, but was around it enough to see it daily.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

As far as comparing Arizona to Ohio is concerned, you are missing the point. Your point can become valid when you can show everyone the TV station that will cover SEO Football exclusively, if GG quits their coverage. Until then, you are simply moving the goalposts of this argument. The original poster's point was merely made to help people understand how bad it can get, and how thankful they should be for the show. It makes no difference how Ohio football in its entirety compares to Arizona football. The fact is, SEO would be either totally ignored, or only given a glimpse of coverage if GG were to go off the air.

No I think you are. He was saying origionally that we should be thankful because in Arizona there is no type of show like this like there is in Ohio. Well No Duh! Arizona high school football is as about as relevant as football in South Dakota! My point, which you missed, was that coming back with that threat is clueless because comparing the two states is like apples and watermelons and the show is on OUB because there was a need for it and there is no show in Arizona because no one cares and its a mute point. The facts are, which you dont seem to realize, SEO football gets alot of coverage from other outlets. GG is NOT the end all be all in SEO Football.

OUbobcat06
Waterboy

Post by OUbobcat06 »

Logan grad wrote:

It really is amazing how three sentences can be so misunderstood.

Please point out exactly where in those three sentences I tried to compare Arizona and Ohio football.
Really? You really think thats what I meant? Seriously?......Ok....?
I was simply stating that southeastern ohio or anywhere would be lucky to have a full half hour show dedicated solely to area high school football. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not even going to begin to defend that comment because your reply is so absurd that hopefully anyone on here would realize that isn't what I meant at all...

Now, to prove my point even further lets break down what you said....

20 minutes of football friday night = 10 minutes less than Gridiron Glory gives SEO
20 minutes of First and 10 = 10 minutes less than Gridiron Glory gives SEO
15 minutes on Channel 6 = HALF of what Gridiron Glory gives SEO

All for just CENTRAL Ohio!

I may be the biggest Southeast Ohio Football homer in the world, but... Central Ohio football has more $$, fans, and usually better teams. Its a fact. I hate that its true, but it is, and we just have to work on getting better. They should also get much more coverage because of the # of people and news outlets around those teams. That being said, to look at the fact that the teams in Central Ohio don't have a half hour on Friday nights speaks volumes to what GG is trying to do and has done for Southeastern Ohio Football. Southeastern Ohio is fortunate to have a show like GG, most areas don't have that luxury, even in Central Ohio.

If GG isn't there, who gives the coverage? Seriously... where else are you going to see a package dedicated solely to Jay Edwards (I'm speaking of players from this era because thats who I'm the most familiar with). Who does a package on the NY Trimble rivalry? Who else is going to send a satellite truck to Chillicothe so you can see Jackson vs the Cavs? Columbus? WHIZ? Huntington? Parkersburg? Please... The coverage is simply not there. When was the last time you saw WSAZ at an Eastern Game? When was the last time Columbus covered Fed Hock on a regular basis? Ever turn on Channel 4 and see coach Chancey or Coach Boston being interviewed?

This is the lot Southeastern Ohio is dealt by not having its own television market. Should Athens have its own market? Absolutely, but thats the FCC's fault. As of now, we're sandwiched between Columbus/Huntington and they could care less. GG fills that void.

--Evan

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

OUbobcat06 wrote:
Logan grad wrote:

It really is amazing how three sentences can be so misunderstood.

Please point out exactly where in those three sentences I tried to compare Arizona and Ohio football.
Really? You really think thats what I meant? Seriously?......Ok....?
I was simply stating that southeastern ohio or anywhere would be lucky to have a full half hour show dedicated solely to area high school football. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not even going to begin to defend that comment because your reply is so absurd that hopefully anyone on here would realize that isn't what I meant at all...

Now, to prove my point even further lets break down what you said....

20 minutes of football friday night = 10 minutes less than Gridiron Glory gives SEO
20 minutes of First and 10 = 10 minutes less than Gridiron Glory gives SEO
15 minutes on Channel 6 = HALF of what Gridiron Glory gives SEO

All for just CENTRAL Ohio!

I may be the biggest Southeast Ohio Football homer in the world, but... Central Ohio football has more $$, fans, and usually better teams. Its a fact. I hate that its true, but it is, and we just have to work on getting better. They should also get much more coverage because of the # of people and news outlets around those teams. That being said, to look at the fact that the teams in Central Ohio don't have a half hour on Friday nights speaks volumes to what GG is trying to do and has done for Southeastern Ohio Football. Southeastern Ohio is fortunate to have a show like GG, most areas don't have that luxury, even in Central Ohio.

If GG isn't there, who gives the coverage? Seriously... where else are you going to see a package dedicated solely to Jay Edwards (I'm speaking of players from this era because thats who I'm the most familiar with). Who does a package on the NY Trimble rivalry? Who else is going to send a satellite truck to Chillicothe so you can see Jackson vs the Cavs? Columbus? WHIZ? Huntington? Parkersburg? Please... The coverage is simply not there. When was the last time you saw WSAZ at an Eastern Game? When was the last time Columbus covered Fed Hock on a regular basis? Ever turn on Channel 4 and see coach Chancey or Coach Boston being interviewed?

This is the lot Southeastern Ohio is dealt by not having its own television market. Should Athens have its own market? Absolutely, but thats the FCC's fault. As of now, we're sandwiched between Columbus/Huntington and they could care less. GG fills that void.

--Evan

Well if you werent comparing the two then it appeared you were trying to tell us how lucky we were for GG in Ohio because in Arizona they only dedicate 10 mins to the coverage. You missed my point it appears as well. The fact that I pointed out what the media does for central ohio was a simple comparision from the Airzona comment because of the interest here in Ohio compared to Other states. It wasnt a comparison of GG vs Central Ohio, it was an Ohio vs Arizona thing. But All 3 Central Ohio stations did send choppers to the Logan-Lancaster game, all three have featured several SE Ohio teams before and one thing you didnt include in your little break down was the fact that there is a radio station in central Ohio that goes an hour long and gives scores from all over the area including SE Ohio. And ONN does a game of the week and has a scorebaord show with SE Ohio highlights included. I am not sure why my reply is absurd in your opinion other than it makes you look stupid to point out anything from Arizona in the way of high school football compared to Ohio. But I digress...

I covered SE Ohio football for 9 years and I felt then and still do that the region is very underrated for players, teams, coaches and recruiting. I understand your passion. I wasnt trying to make this a Central Ohio vs SE Ohio deal. I think the show has its place and is a fine showcase of talent. My only gripe like I stated before was that the students need to find their own style and quit trying to be like someone else. Its like the kid from the Bad News Bear in Spring Training who was to busy trying to be Catfish Hunter, rather than who he was. It comes off wrong and it doesnt work. Thats all I was saying.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Logan grad wrote:

No I think you are. He was saying origionally that we should be thankful because in Arizona there is no type of show like this like there is in Ohio. Well No Duh! Arizona high school football is as about as relevant as football in South Dakota! My point, which you missed, was that coming back with that threat is clueless because comparing the two states is like apples and watermelons and the show is on OUB because there was a need for it and there is no show in Arizona because no one cares and its a mute point. The facts are, which you dont seem to realize, SEO football gets alot of coverage from other outlets. GG is NOT the end all be all in SEO Football.

What television outlet gives 30 minutes of coverage to SEO football? 20 minutes? 15 minutes? 10 minutes? Where else can one watch the highlights? Please point this out to me. I understand that the radio talkshows and newspapers exist. Random tidbits from random games is not coverage. There is nothing resembling consistency, so typically people are not even aware enough to expect the highlights on TV.

Plus, it makes no difference what the market happens to be. There is NO ONE else willing to give SEO 30 minutes of TELEVISION coverage. You are moving the goalposts by saying that OUbobcat06 was comparing the demands of the two states. He was comparing the lack of TV coverage in Arizona to the lack of TV coverage that would exist in SEO if GG were to go off the air.

Last of all I just wish you guys who are bashing the show would realize what you have. "Realize what you have" You have a 30 minute show devoted to local high school football.

I just spent the last year in Arizona and there wasn't any friday night shows whatsoever. Arizona used as a frame of reference. A life experience of the poster. In that experience there were no local high school football shows. Life in SEO w/out GG? Certainly.

There was an extra 10 minutes on the end of the news and that was it. Ten minutes at the end of the news, sounds like SEO coverage elsewhere, except in regards to C'bus news as then the time would drop from ten to zero. It reads like the world SEO would know without GG.

Where is the comparison of supply and demand within the two states? The supply is certainly not present. Due to lack of demand, possibly? However, where is the SEO TV station south of Zanesville? Where is the supply without GG? Is SEO football held in the same esteem as other areas within the state? Probably not. Is SEO football closer to Cleveland and Cincinnati football, or closer to Phoenix football? You are simply deducing for the sake of your own argument. The point was lack of coverage similar to what would be in SEO if not for GG.

Like I said, the people from GG (those who really focus on it) work very hard. They are not golfing when they are due in the station. They are not calling in sick at an absurd frequency. They are not just focusing on the one show that they like doing, while blowing off other responsibilities related to WOUB. They aren't like most college students when doing their college-jobs. They are working on various tasks, and working much harder than the typical student and "real world" employee.

I know a local employer who is very aware of the effort GG employees put into their work, which is why he put in a great deal of effort in assisting them in their "on location" show. He does not tolerate laziness, and he loves those who put forth effort.

OUbobcat06
Waterboy

Post by OUbobcat06 »

Logan grad wrote:Well if you werent comparing the two then it appeared you were trying to tell us how lucky we were for GG in Ohio because in Arizona they only dedicate 10 mins to the coverage.

Yes, SEO is lucky. Thats the point I was making. Any area that gets a half hour football show that does everything it can for the local teams is lucky. Tell me how that isn't true.

Logan grad wrote: But All 3 Central Ohio stations did send choppers to the Logan-Lancaster game.

Lancaster - Logan? Thats your best example of Columbus media covering SEO? I'm sure Waterford and Southern appreciated that coverage.

Logan grad wrote: one thing you didnt include in your little break down was the fact that there is a radio station in central Ohio that goes an hour long and gives scores from all over the area including SE Ohio.

Yes...an hour long radio show is exactly the same thing as a half hour long tv show. Radio has its place, and thank goodness SEO is blessed with good radio announcers these days, but come on. You're putting an hour long radio show that "gives scores" of SEO games up against GG? At least mention the stations down here like 107.7 that actually pay attention to SEO and care about the teams if you're going down the "radio covers high school football too" route... Having scores read by someone in Columbus who doesn't even know what a Lancer is doesn't quite cut it.

Logan grad wrote: I am not sure why my reply is absurd in your opinion other than it makes you look stupid to point out anything from Arizona in the way of high school football compared to Ohio.

Wow... yes, by saying the words Arizona and Ohio in the same sentence I've obviously been made to look stupid. I'm sure parents in Arizona could care less if they see their kids on tv. In fact, they don't even go to the games, they don't care at all...Most schools and fans in Arizona probably think football is soccer. They don't deserve to have a football show because they aren't passionate, or good enough to have one. Only Ohio is good enough to have football coverage. I can't believe I was stupid enough to even think that Arizona could ever do anything like Ohio when it comes to football. Give me a break.

Logan Grad wrote: My only gripe like I stated before was that the students need to find their own style and quit trying to be like someone else. Its like the kid from the Bad News Bear in Spring Training who was to busy trying to be Catfish Hunter, rather than who he was. It comes off wrong and it doesnt work. Thats all I was saying.

Yes.. they need to lay off the ESPN... that true. However you could have said this without adding all the other stuff and been just fine. But instead you felt like your post wasn't quite long enough so you had to look for something else to dig at such as The MVL winning POY awards etc.

--Evan
Last edited by OUbobcat06 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wrestler87
Freshman Team

Post by wrestler87 »

Yeah, the few seconds GIG did give Logan on the air (finally) they emphasized how important that first "league" win is. Gallia wasn't a league game though. Then, although Angle is a great player, forgot to mention pretty much everyone else on the TEAM. I for one thought that was one of his lesser games except for the scramble play. Oh, they weren't at those either.
Why wasn't the grand opening of Chieftain Stadium a game of the week or even covered better?
I like the show as a whole, but this year's crew is not up to the crews of 5 yrs. ago.
A longer show, even run poorly would be nice. Who cares if I get the scores and some stats?
Speaking of scores, they reported the wrong score of our Lancaster game too.
:|

Return to “Football”