WK 1 Belpre @ Warren

swamisez
JV Team

Re: WK 1 Belpre @ Warren

Post by swamisez »

Belpre moves inside Warren 15 on a jump ball pass from Ullman to Tate.

Petit and Tate both get the ball, tie goes receiver.
Belpre moving to score
stopped stopped
4th and 9 from 13 pass deep into the endzone, incomplete to Tate

Warren takes over at own 13 with 1:01 remaining

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Go SEOAL

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Final...

Warren 17 Belpre 10.

Best of luck to the Warriors the rest of the way.

runningwild12
Waterboy

Post by runningwild12 »

This was a great game just as expected. Few things I noticed from the Warren side: First, I understand that Wolfe is a good runner, but I believe that Dunfee should get more carries. I mean he touched the ball 4 times tonight one went for a td(called back on a penalty) then another about went to the house again. Second the zone coverage that Warren is running on defense is not working. They did the same thing last year and it still shows to be the weakness of the team. I know this is the first game, and I figure Warren will make the necessary changes. Best of Luck this season boys....and oh yeah great game tonight, way to keep the steak alive!!!

GO BLUE!!!

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Congrats Warriors!

Army
S

Post by Army »

Cogratulations to Warren.

Good Luck to both respected schools :!: :-D

GO SEOAL :!: :-D

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Warren's line man-handled Belpre on both sides of the ball. All those hours in the weight room really did pay off! Good game, but the the score could have been a bit different. Warren had two TDs called back. Dunfee ran back the opening kick-off and it was called back due to a block in the back (ok). On a QB sneak there was a problem with the center/QB exchange, but Ellenwood picked the ball up and went in for a TD, the official standing 2 yards away looking right at the play signaled a TD, the official 10-15 yards away and behind the play threw a flag for "aiding the runner." You gotta be kidding me. Anyway, Ullman was thrown in the fire and did a nice job for Belpre, but Warren made key defensive plays in the secondary and put a ton of pressure on him to really control the passing threat. Cox had excellent coverage all night. Warren absolutely stuffed Belpre's ground game. Warren on the other hand ran the ball well (Wolfe as a bull), and played it conservatively with the passing game with only 5 attempts. But, the passing made a difference with the key pass to Venham for 22 yds on 3rd and 17. There is a lot more potential in the offense than was shown last night. They can open things up a lot more with Dunfee and Coffman and few more pass attempts. I expect they will continue to open the game up as Ellenwood gains experience. Really nice punt/kick-off returns by Warren (Dunfee, Venham, Pettit). Nice hitting by Warren. A little soft in the secondary, but MUCH improved over last year. The BIG bugaboo for Warren . . . turnovers. Warren fumbled 4 times, and two were lost when Warren was driving the ball very well. They were the kind of fumbles that kids make when they are digging for extra yards, but they just have to start covering-up the ball.

Good luck to Belpre the rest of the way. CONGRATS to the Warriors!

Philo and Belpre were pretty evenly matched in their scrimmage. Let's make it 2-0 next Friday!!

Go Warriors!

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

warrnwarriorfan wrote:Warren's line man-handled Belpre on both sides of the ball. All those hours in the weight room really did pay off! Good game, but the the score could have been a bit different. Warren had two TDs called back. Dunfee ran back the opening kick-off and it was called back due to a block in the back (ok). On a QB sneak there was a problem with the center/QB exchange, but Ellenwood picked the ball up and went in for a TD, the official standing 2 yards away looking right at the play signaled a TD, the official 10-15 yards away and behind the play threw a flag for "aiding the runner." You gotta be kidding me. Anyway, Ullman was thrown in the fire and did a nice job for Belpre, but Warren made key defensive plays in the secondary and put a ton of pressure on him to really control the passing threat. Cox had excellent coverage all night. Warren absolutely stuffed Belpre's ground game. Warren on the other hand ran the ball well (Wolfe as a bull), and played it conservatively with the passing game with only 5 attempts. But, the passing made a difference with the key pass to Venham for 22 yds on 3rd and 17. There is a lot more potential in the offense than was shown last night. They can open things up a lot more with Dunfee and Coffman and few more pass attempts. I expect they will continue to open the game up as Ellenwood gains experience. Really nice punt/kick-off returns by Warren (Dunfee, Venham, Pettit). Nice hitting by Warren. A little soft in the secondary, but MUCH improved over last year. The BIG bugaboo for Warren . . . turnovers. Warren fumbled 4 times, and two were lost when Warren was driving the ball very well. They were the kind of fumbles that kids make when they are digging for extra yards, but they just have to start covering-up the ball.

Good luck to Belpre the rest of the way. CONGRATS to the Warriors!

Philo and Belpre were pretty evenly matched in their scrimmage. Let's make it 2-0 next Friday!!

Go Warriors!

I wouldn't call it manhandling by any stretch of the imagination. If it wasn't for special teams mistakes by Belpre,Warren doesn't score either TD. Fumbled punt return set up the 1st TD,Long punt return by Venom and Coaching penalty set up 2nd TD. Better play calling on last drive by Belpre could have tied game.Look at stats,Belpre 162 passing yards,213 total yards, Warren 58 passing yards,127 total yards.Belpre 10 1st down,Warren 5 1st downs. Warren led in rushing yards 89-51. I don't call that being "Manhandled". Pretty good 1st game by both teams and they both can learn a lot from this game and go on to a successful season.

gpgm6566
Varsity

Post by gpgm6566 »

Belpre won the stat battle, but lost the game because poor punt and kick coverage. It's time for belpre's coaches to put their 11 best tacklers on the field. Punts and kickoffs are important and are not the time to get nonstarters quarters.

Congrats to Warren on their hard fought win.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Sorry Papaw, but I disagree. Warren was in Belpre's backfield all night and Belpre wasn't in Warren's. The Warren runners definitely had better running lanes. Belpre ran 35 times for 51 yards. Many of Belpre's first downs were via the pass. Warren's line was making plays all night. Belpre's line was not. The game was won by Warren in the trenches.

I do agree that Belpre hurt themselves with the turnover and the penalty, but Warren put the ball on the ground 4 times, and lost two of them when they were driving the ball. I figure the "X" factor from turnovers and penalties was pretty even.

I thought Dunfee's TD getting called back was legit. I do not think calling back Ellenwood's TD was legit for the reasons stated. Couldn't see it very well on the FOX rebroadcast but that's a pretty unusual call and the guy two yards away could probably see the play better (oh well).

You're right, good game by both teams, but I stand by assessment. Warren's line outplayed Belpre's by a good bit. This is not smack talk, but I was sitting near Belpre when they came to scout Warren at Warren's last scrimmage. Belpre does not look like they have been spending a lot of time in the weight room. Pifer has done an EXCELLENT job with Warren's players in the weight room. Every starting player on the field has been lifting since last season, and Pifer has them really lifting. When Warren lifts it is not social hour. Many times they lift in unison, on the whistle, to make sure the kids are working hard. It showed last night.

Interesting stat: Warren only ran 36 plays. Belpre ran 55 plays. That's why Belpre won the "stat battle." That's why turnovers are so hard to overcome.

Good luck to both teams!

BigBlueinsider
Riding the Bench

Post by BigBlueinsider »

does anybody have the defensive stats from this game?

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

Warriorfan,I agree that Warren won the battle in the trenches but the game wasn't decided there it was because of poor special team play by Belpre which led to both Warren touchdowns. I don't know about the td called back for aiding the runner but there were a few questionable calls against Belpre also.I thought Belpre's punter was roughed on the Venom return but no call was made. Evidently our coach thought so too because he got the penalty to move the ball to the ten.I just questioned your assertion that Warren manhandled Belpre when the game could have easily been won by Belpre with better kick coverage and holding on to the ball on the punt return.Congratulations to the Warriors on the win and good luck for the rest of the season,but it could have been a different outcome very easily.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I think the line play of both teams needs a lot of work before game 2. Neither teams line play stood out on either side of the ball. Nobody manhandled anybody.

Belpre needs to improve it's special teams coverage.

I hope Belpre plays a much improved game next week against Fort Frye.

Diehard Fan
Freshman Team

Post by Diehard Fan »

Mister B, You are correct in that both teams need much improvement, i can see Belpre getting much better as the season rolls along but for Warren its going to be a very long year, not much they can improve. Belpre should have won this game easily but special teams killed them. Special teams is something that will get better in a hurry if you correct the problems.

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Post by coal miner's son »

Warren needs to add another dimension to their offense by utilizing Venham and Cox more often. The slants where there all night. There was a huge mismatch in height between Venham/Cox and Belpre's corners. Venham's main asset is his YAC stats. A quick hitch and he can run over or around a smaller corner. One player is rarely going to tackle him. If Ellenwood isn't as good a passer as Hilverding, then rotate two QB's.

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

Warren was verrrrrrrry conservative on offense.
I would attribute that to young qb tonight. It stands to reason as the season progresses they will open up the playbook and get the ball to skill players a bit more.

I think that is where fans will see Dunfee the most on swing passes and screens. He can make a player miss, and add that to his running ability he will be a huge threat.

I think Coffman is of the same ilk, he will be valuable in the open field, and see him playing a similar role to dunfee.

Wolfe should get a bulk of the carries, he moves the ball well, and has good lean. If he takes care of the ball a little better in teh second half, no doubt he will be a force against Philo.

Philo btw, got thrashed by Licking Heights. LH has been a d4 R15 stud the last couple years, but Philo had like 80 yards of offense. LH had 11 or 12 sacks as well.
Warren with a victory no doubt will be favored, but it will be a close contest. These teams aren't that different, their opponents in week 1 definitely were.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Oh boy, this is going to be FUN!
Last edited by warrnwarriorfan on Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

I was not at the game but why did Dunfee only have 4 carries?? He is the fastest kid out there and must have the ball in the open field. Figure out a way to get it to him!! It seems to me that some things may never change.
Congrats to the Warrior kids on a hard fought victory and goodluck to Belpre.

air4ce1
Freshman Team

Post by air4ce1 »

Diehard Fan wrote:Mister B, You are correct in that both teams need much improvement, i can see Belpre getting much better as the season rolls along but for Warren its going to be a very long year, not much they can improve. Belpre should have won this game easily but special teams killed them. Special teams is something that will get better in a hurry if you correct the problems.

belpre should have won this game easily???? are you serious? they could not run on warren at all. packard did not look as impressive as everyone said. belpre got a lot through the air but i think that if warren's secondary got a little better angles on the ball many of those passes could have been easily picked off. I feel that warren (minus the passing game) was better in every other aspect of the game.

gpgm6566
Varsity

Post by gpgm6566 »

I thought Belpre's defense was pretty good, giving up only 5 first downs and 127 yds. I'll take that every week.

Return to “Football”