An early look at the (Wellston Golden Rockets) 2008 Season!

Army
S

An early look at the (Wellston Golden Rockets) 2008 Season!

Post by Army »

Football Talk only! Let's keep it civil and give both pros and cons for the team this year, instead of the usual smerks.

Realistically, what can the Golden Rockets do, to overcome last season and be the team they were a few seasons ago?

They field a Veteran Team who started mostly as a Sophomore Unit last year. The starters are all Juniors this season, with maybe a few Seniors. Will they try to mix it up this season with both the run and pass? What changes are possibly coming to the offense and defense? Some has mentioned the freshman transfer Prater, from VC, might get some playing time on the Varsity this season?

What is the outlook for their TVC-Ohio Division season? They came very close to defeating Belpre last year and let the Eagles get back into the game last year. Llikewise, Albany Alexander too. I believe that was the first time Belpre had defeated Wellston in what 6-10 years? I believe it was Albany Alexanders first time ever in defeating the Wellston Golden Rockets in the 25 years that Wellston had been in the TVC. N-Y will be the question. As always. Wellston ended up defeating N-Y on paper 2-0 over a forfiet. Pomeroy Meigs defeated Wellston for the first time in what? 7-or-8 seasons? Then there is VC of course the rivarly. The Plains Athens Bulldogs is the newcomer to the TVC-Ohio this season and old former foe from the Golden Rockets SEOAL days. It should be a good game. The Golden Rockets travel to play against the Bulldogs at Athens. I think Wellston played against Athens in the 90's in a non-league series. Not sure though?

I hope they run more than last season. Does anyone know who they have scheduled for their full contact scrimmages and their 7-7 passing scrimmages?

WELLSTON GOLDEN ROCKETS
Sat 08/23/2008 JACKSON
Fri 08/29/2008 MINFORD
Fri 09/05/2008 @ Waverly
Fri 09/12/2008 NELSONVILLE-YORK*
Fri 09/19/2008 @ Belpre*
Fri 09/26/2008 VINTON COUNTY*
Fri 10/03/2008 @ Athens*
Fri 10/10/2008 @ Gallia Academy
Fri 10/17/2008 @ Meigs*
Fri 10/24/2008 ALEXANDER*

GO Golden Rockets...my alma mater :!:

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Re: An early look at the (Wellston Golden Rockets) 2008 Season!

Post by falconflyer »

Wellston has a very tough schedule.

Warpig
Freshman Team

Post by Warpig »

To me those first four weeks are going to be tough. Jackson has had Wellston's number for a while, Minford is coming off a playoff season with talent returning, Waverly lost a bunch but still has some great skilled players coming back, and Nelsonville-York is, well Nelsonville-York. If the Rockets are competitive (and maybe sneak up and surprise a team in one of those four games) then the second half of the year should be a easier road. Vinton County and Gallia Academy will be their mid to late season tests.

I think that the Rockets could go 4-6 and with a little luck 6-4.

Being from Trimble, I always look at things as it relates to Tomcat history. In 1987 Trimble was 1-9 playing mainly sophomores. That year most of the games we lost were by three to four touchdowns. In 1988 those sophomores were juniors and we went 4-6 losing a couple of very close games. Then in 1989, using two years of varsity experience, the senior class leads the 'Cats to a 10-0 season.

Maybe the Rockets are on the same path. If so, then I'm glad Trimble and Wellston don't play each other anymore.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Wellston will have a 7 on 7 with Manchester,and a 4 team 7 on 7 with Amanda C-C , Greenfield Mclain and Southeastern. They have Scrimmages with Chesapeake and Zane Trace. I will try and get dates and times for these activities as soon as I can.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Thanks boilermaker :!: :-D

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Army I know for a fact that Alexander did beat Wellston 21-18 at Wellston in 1985 in Wellston's third season in the TVC.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Thanks, so Albany Alexander is 2-23 against Wellston in Football?

alexanderspartan
Waterboy

Post by alexanderspartan »

Army wrote:Thanks, so Albany Alexander is 2-23 against Wellston in Football?

Soon to be 3-23!

Army
S

Post by Army »

Sorry not this year :!: :-D

WJfan4life
Freshman Team

Post by WJfan4life »

good luck to Wellston this year, from your friends @ WJ

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Thanks WJFan for your support it is appreciated :mrgreen: Wellston will NOT lose to Alexander this year. ;-)

THE PIGSKIN
Waterboy

Post by THE PIGSKIN »

Not to sound to harsh, but why would Prater transfer to Wellston. His class at Vinton is pretty good. He will really help out that 9th grade class. They struggled in all sports this year. Having a leader like Prater will make them better in the long run. Good luck Rockets, and congrats on a transfer like Prater, things like that don't happen that often.

stillballin
Waterboy

Post by stillballin »

He looks great in Blue and Gold and the people of Wellston love him. He will be one of the top players to ever play at Wellston, just wait and see. The class he will play with is just the beginning of something big, he has very good teammates with him.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

stillballin wrote:He looks great in Blue and Gold and the people of Wellston love him. He will be one of the top players to ever play at Wellston, just wait and see. The class he will play with is just the beginning of something big, he has very good teammates with him.

Yeh, the "community" always seems to love an outsider. :lol: :lol: :roll:

Army
S

Post by Army »

You bet :!: :-D

Because they are now, Wellston Golden Rockets :!: :lol: :lol:

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

His decision to be a Rocket ,as for loving outsiders we are all Americans arent we?Some people just dont get it. This is not a thing to worry about ,if you want to worry then worry for the young men and women who are going to Iraq and Afganistan to fight for this very freedom we take for granted. Let it go and wish all a safe and injury free season for all to enjoy.
Last edited by boilermaker on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

boilermaker,

Any word on when the Wellston passing scrimmages will be?

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

02; Im thinking this friday is one but not sure .I will call coach on Monday and find out.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

ironman02.....I talked to Coach Mantell at the 7-on-7 event at Jackson on Friday and Wellston's 7-on-7 with Manchester is at Wellston on Friday (July 25). 10 or 10:30 I can't remember which.

The 7-on-7 with Amanda-Clearcreek, Greenfield McClain and Southeastern will be at Greenfield McClain.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

The 7on7 at Greenfield is on a friday as well at 10am.August 1st.

Return to “Football”