Waterboy

Portsmouth Daily Times updates On New Complex

Post by Snake »

Board lets PCSD buy land for complex
BY RYAN SCOTT OTTNEY
PDT Staff Writer
Published:
Friday, March 7, 2008 9:10 AM CST
Portsmouth City School Board met in special session Thursday morning at its administrative offices on Findlay Street, for the purpose of approving a resolution concerning the school's proposed $10 million athletic complex.

The resolution would authorize Portsmouth City School District to proceed with the acquisition of real estate, financing and development of the complex.

Upon placing the resolution before members of the school board, it passed unanimously.

"We are pleased and excited to take this step toward the realization of the important project for our students and the community," said Portsmouth superintendent Jan Broughton. "We look forward to proceeding with this opportunity to participate in the continued revitalization of the central city of Portsmouth."

Plans for the athletic complex first were announced in October 2006, and in December 2007, PCSD asked the city to amend its original resolution, allowing the school to develop the complex in two phases. With the approval of the city, the school now hopes to have Phase 1 of the complex completed by spring 2010.

Funded through private sources, the complex is planned to stretch between Gallia and Ninth streets in Portsmouth. The site excludes the property of Second Presbyterian Church on Waller Street, and also would renovate and reuse the schools existing gymnasium.

Portsmouth City School Board meets regularly on the third Thursday of every month. Its next scheduled meeting is March 20, at East Portsmouth Elementary School, in Sciotoville.

RYAN SCOTT OTTNEY can be reached at (740) 353-3101, ext. 235.

battlecats
JV Team

Re: Portsmouth Daily Times updates On New Complex

Post by battlecats »

It would be nice to finally see some actual progress with this complex but it really should be an awesome place and you will be so close to the Ribber you can taste those steaks and ribs. You can take a look at Portsmouth.k12.oh.us

getagrip
Waterboy

Post by getagrip »

Snake wrote:Funded through private sources

Who are these private sources? Is the school board putting any public money into the project?

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Personally I hate to see the Portsmouth Trojans leave Spartan Stadium. But, this new Athletic Complex is really awesome. I can't wait to check out a football game at the new stadium. The new complex will be tops in Southern Ohio. I'm really looking forward to the finished product.

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

Once PHS builds this new complex with the baseball field Portsmouth will have more baseball stadiums withith a couple miles of each other then anywhere I know. Branch Rickey will be less then a mile away and Shawnee State will be building their new baseball and softball fields basically down the street.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

battlecats wrote:Once PHS builds this new complex with the baseball field Portsmouth will have more baseball stadiums withith a couple miles of each other then anywhere I know. Branch Rickey will be less then a mile away and Shawnee State will be building their new baseball and softball fields basically down the street.

I was unaware of that.

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

Yah it will prolly be a couple years before they start though.

Return to “Football”