WK 1 Jackson @ Wellston

Ty Webb
All State

Re: Jackson @ Wellston 2008

Post by Ty Webb »

9697ironmen wrote:
Keyser_soze78 wrote:NYBuckeye96....The number one reason this game is played is the $$$$$$$$$$ from the gate. Too much for either school to pass up.

And, since it's at Wellston this year and on a Saturday night, that means even more $$$$$$$$$$$.

BTW, for those counting, the streak is at 17 for Jackson over Wellston.

Will it continue, or will this — as is repeated in Wellston on annual basis — be the year that the streak is snapped?

what was the last season the rockets beat the ironmen? for some reason i thought it was '88

I think it was either 88 or 89. I'm pretty sure it was the year, now AD, Jeff Hendershott was a senior QB for the Rockets. He was great player for the blue and gold.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Ty Weeb it was '89 at Jackson 21-7 Rockets. Wellston also, beat Jackson 27-15 in '88 at Wellston and 27-20 in '86 at Wellston. Jeff Hendershott was the starting QB in '88 and '89 and Scott Bragg was the starter in '86. Now to the game. If Wellston struggled against ZT's offense and had trouble scoring on ZT's defense than they're in big trouble against Jackson. Because let's be honest about it ZT is NOT!! Jackson. Jackson scrimmaged a really good as expected Wheelerburg team. While Wellston scrimmaged a team comming off a 2-8 '07 season. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to any team. I'm just pointing out the facts.

42-12 Ironmen.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Jackson and Wellston did not play each other in 1991. That was Wellston's pay-to-play year.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

HSFBFAN,,I may be wrong but I dont think Zane Trace is as bad as you think,I know they are not Jackson but I dont think you are giving them any credit. Maybe you werent at the scrimmage.
The streak is 17 ,,and until the Rockets win its hard to argue anything when it comes to this series.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

Having watched Wellston scrimmage I can say that they are much improved from last season. They have some nice skill players that could potentially give them a chance to compete with Jackson. The big question though, is wheather or not Wellston's defense can slow down Jackson's rushing attack. IF the Rockets can at least contain Jackson's running game and IF they don't turn the ball over then they will have a chance in this game.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

When HSFBfan mentioned Wellston's wins in 1986, 1988, and 1989, I decided to take a look back at some of my records. Those three wins, along with a win in 1978, are the only times since 1968 that Wellston has beaten Jackson.

The Jackson-Wellston series was fairly even up until that point with Jackson holding a slight edge. The series now stands at 66-26-6 in favor of Jackson according to the Jackson Football History Book, with the Ironmen opening up a large advantage over the last 40 years. I'm sure the Rockets would like nothing more than to get the monkey off their back this year. It's up to the 2008 version of the Ironmen to keep their win streak alive and continue the current trend in one of Ohio's longest standing rivalries.

I agree with SouthernStorm...Wellston has some very nice skill players. Wilkett is a very athletic QB that seems to be a big time playmaker. Lockard is one of the best backs in the area, the freshman, Prater, looks to have plenty of size and speed, among others. Wellston has to win the battle in the trenches to get the job done, though. Jackson will have to play much better up front than they did against Wheelersburg and I'm quite sure that they will. If the Ironmen take care of the football and don't give up big plays to Wellston's backs, I see the Ironmen coming out on top.

You never know exactly what to expect in the season opener. A lot of times this game seems to be pretty sloppy on both sides, most likely due to first game jitters along with the pressure of the rivalry. Jackson needs to execute and play solid football, leaving nothing to chance.
Last edited by ironman02 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Interestingly enough this is around the time ( i know not exactly) that Wellston pulled out of the SEOAL. As you know i am a proponent of scheduling tougher teams. Since Wellston has been scheduling teams that for the most part below SEOAL standards, Jackson has taken complete control of the rivalry. As you know 02, i am not fan of the Jackson schedule but it is much stronger than Wellstons.

Army
S

Post by Army »

2old wrote:02,
Interestingly enough this is around the time ( i know not exactly) that Wellston pulled out of the SEOAL. As you know i am a proponent of scheduling tougher teams. Since Wellston has been scheduling teams that for the most part below SEOAL standards, Jackson has taken complete control of the rivalry. As you know 02, i am not fan of the Jackson schedule but it is much stronger than Wellstons.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

2old,

You have the gaul to bash Gallipolis Gallia Academy for having a weak non-league schedule for an SEOAL School, but you state on here that Jackson has a much stronger schedule than Wellston, my alma mater (Wellston)?

Yours too, but you sure couldn't tell it. :roll:

Wellston is in the TVC-Ohio.

Jackson is in the SEOAL. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is statement about Jackson's schedule from you is to funny and ignorant.

Wellston's NON-LEAGUE

Jackson D2
Minford D5
Waverly D4
Gallia Academy D4

Date/Time Team Name Division Home/Away

8/23/2008
8:00 PM JACKSON (JACKSON) II H

8/29/2008
7:30 PM MINFORD (MINFORD) V H

9/5/2008
7:30 PM @ WAVERLY (WAVERLY) IV A

9/12/2008
7:30 PM NELSONVILLE-YORK (NELSONVILLE) V H

9/19/2008
7:30 PM @ BELPRE (BELPRE) V A

9/26/2008
7:30 PM VINTON COUNTY (MC ARTHUR) III H

10/3/2008
7:30 PM @ ATHENS (THE PLAINS) III A

10/10/2008
7:30 PM @ GALLIA ACADEMY (GALLIPOLIS) IV A

10/17/2008
7:30 PM @ MEIGS (POMEROY) IV A

10/24/2008
7:30 PM ALEXANDER (Albany) IV H

Jackson'S NON-LEAGUE :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wellston D4
Vinton County D3
Waverly D4

8/23/2008
8:00 PM @ WELLSTON (WELLSTON) IV A

8/29/2008
7:30 PM @ WAVERLY (WAVERLY) IV A

9/5/2008
7:30 PM VINTON COUNTY (MC ARTHUR) III H

9/12/2008
7:30 PM PORTSMOUTH (PORTSMOUTH) IV H

9/19/2008
7:30 PM @ GALLIA ACADEMY (GALLIPOLIS) IV A

9/26/2008
7:30 PM @ MARIETTA (MARIETTA) II A

10/3/2008
7:30 PM @ IRONTON (IRONTON) IV A

10/10/2008
7:30 PM CHILLICOTHE (CHILLICOTHE) III H

10/17/2008
7:30 PM LOGAN (LOGAN) II H

10/24/2008
7:30 PM ZANESVILLE (ZANESVILLE) II H

Gallia Academy NON-LEAGUE, the SEOAL School you CONTINUE to make fun of due to their supposed weak schedule.

Athens D3
Point Plesent, WV AA
Wellston D4

8/22/2008
7:30 PM @ ATHENS (THE PLAINS) III A

8/29/2008
7:30 PM Point Pleasant HS (West Virginia) (Point Pleasant) III H

9/5/2008
7:30 PM @ IRONTON (IRONTON) IV A

9/12/2008
7:30 PM @ LOGAN (LOGAN) View Notes SEOAL
II A

9/19/2008
7:30 PM JACKSON (JACKSON) II H

9/26/2008
7:30 PM PORTSMOUTH (PORTSMOUTH) IV H

10/3/2008
7:30 PM @ CHILLICOTHE (CHILLICOTHE) III A

10/10/2008
7:30 PM WELLSTON (WELLSTON) IV H

10/17/2008
7:30 PM ZANESVILLE (ZANESVILLE) II H

10/24/2008
7:30 PM MARIETTA (MARIETTA) II H

GO Golden Rockets beat Jackson :!:
Last edited by Army on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Army
S

Post by Army »

I would love to see Wellston win it :!: :-D

Good Luck to the kids from Wellston :!: :-D

Go Golden Rockets :!: :-D

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

2old,

Very interesting. I never thought about that.

I mostly agree with you on the scheduling. I would really like to see some new faces on Jackson's non-league slate in the future. I'm not sure that we'll see that happen right now with high gas prices though. Wellston has improved their non-league schedule somewhat over the last few years. With games against teams such as Jackson, Waverly, Minford, and GAHS, I think they have a pretty tough road through the non-TVC part of the schedule this time around.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

Army,

You just don't get it. I am speaking over 30 years. Not this years schedule. It has a cumulative effect. I assure you 02 knows which side i want to win Saturday night.

boilermaker
SE

Re: WK 1 Jackson @ Wellston

Post by boilermaker »

When Wellston was in the SEOAL and they played N-Y they usually beat them, bad sometimes.I am not trying to get the Buckeye fans worked up Im just saying what 2old said is true .I used N-Y because they are the measuring stick for the TVC Ohio. The early 80's were lean years for the Rockets but since then have been competitive in the TVC Ohio for the most part only winning it twice. They have been in the upper half of the league more often than not though.
Back to the Game! I think if Wellston plays mistake free and plays physical up front and gives their skill people some holes they will score enough to win . They really need to show up on the defensive side though they cant let Jackson run that midline , or power the ball down the field to have a chance.A couple of timely turnovers would be nice too.
I think this will be a good game.Will the streak end ? We will see Saturday. I hope for a clean injury free contest.

crazee-oakaholic
All Conference

Post by crazee-oakaholic »

I will go with jackson since they bought more shirts from me than wellston did :122245

Army
S

Post by Army »

2old wrote:Army,

You just don't get it. I am speaking over 30 years. Not this years schedule. It has a cumulative effect. I assure you 02 knows which side i want to win Saturday night.

2old,

30 years ago, our Wellston Golden Rockets was still in the SEOAL. :-D

Did not see anywhere that states the past 30 years? :-D

Good Luck Golden Rockets :!: :-D

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Army wrote:
2old wrote:Army,

2old,

30 years ago, our Wellston Golden Rockets was still in the SEOAL. :-D

Did not see anywhere that states the past 30 years? :-D

Good Luck Golden Rockets :!: :-D

No, you WERE in the SEOAL thirty years ago. Dumb and ignorant are no way to go through life Army. :oops: :oops:

By the way, where did you graduate?? :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ted Striker
Freshman Team

Post by Ted Striker »

:shock: I'm sure Wellston's English teachers from the 1950's don't appreciate the fact that you keep bringing up where you attended school. ;-) Your inability to use the English language correctly amazes me. Their credibility is dropping as low as your IQ. :lol:

Meigs_74
Waterboy

Post by Meigs_74 »

Gonna have to go with jackson...

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

The Rockets will be improved this year, but I think Jackson will still be to much. I'm taking the Ironmen. Good Luck to both teams! 8)

ChiefCruiser95
Freshman Team

Post by ChiefCruiser95 »

Gonna go with Jackson in this one. The Ironmen are back(except against Logan of course) :-D Good Luck Ironmen!!

Return to “Football”