Fairland Non-Renews Coach Wilcoxon

earp
S

Re: Fairland Non-Renews Coach Wilcoxon

Post by earp »

Okay!The OVC was a whole lot tougher conference then that it is now.You had Rock Hill,Coal Grove,Fairland and Chesapeake in the early 80s,"Umm Peake more towards the mid 80s",Pretty much on a level playing field.These teams would just pretty much beat up on one another.I am sure 2Trap will confirm what I am saying here.Thing was Fairland it seemed could never get through Coal Grove to win the conference till 84.Fairland beat Coal Grove 25-7 that year and ended their 25 game win streak.Chesapeake also had a stacked team in 84,Maddox,Kincaid,Cball and those guys.Then around 88 you had the West Virginia schools move into the conference,C-K,Buffalo and Wayne. and really solidified it even more.All of a sudden you had a team in the conference that had 11 state titles over there.So the OVC present day and 1980s and 90s is far different.

playsports
Waterboy

Post by playsports »

What's done is done.Time to move on.Some people seem to think they know it all.Bottom line is the 2008 Fairland team will be loaded and everything needs to be geared towards that by the kids AND their parents.Either get on board or take your ball and go home.It's called loyalty to your teammates,your friends and your school.It is a privilege to play for your school,not a right.

earp
S

Post by earp »

I completly agree Playsports. ;-)

osunut77
Waterboy

Post by osunut77 »

so earp, you agree with hiring snyder for one year, which is more than likely what will happen? or would you have hired someone for more than a year?

earp
S

Post by earp »

I think he is a good call at this point and is going to bring alot of stability to what has been a pretty hot topic of conversation around town as well as on here.Even if it is for just a year or two until you can search for another coach or go with one that is already in the system.Hes a good man and he will do a good job.I think it was actually a good idea to put someone in place so that the kids dont have to wait until like august to see who their coach is going to be. ;-)

earp
S

Post by earp »

Hey heres another "Puff Piece"except Jeff Gorby didnt have anything to do with it.This one comes from an unbiased intetity!Oh and Snyder actually praises Wilcoxen in this piece:

http://www.irontontribune.com/articles/ ... orts02.txt

catch22
Riding the Bench

Post by catch22 »

hey earp, the article sounds a whole like the one in the H-D with the exceptions of the quotes made by Snyder. and by the way Wayne , Buffalo and CK entered our league in around the early 80's. played them all as a junior and senior.
anyways, it is time to move on and give our boys and the coaches the support if we want to compete this year. lord knows they are getting the best boys that has come thru in along time. hmmm? and again I say support, thats something we didn't get from most!!!!!!!! I WILL BE THERE SUPPORTING THEM THOUGH!!!

earp
S

Post by earp »

NO NO NO!The West Virginia schools were not in the league until after the 1987 season.Oak Hill and Symmes Valley were in the conference until 1985.And YES! I am for sure about that.I am not saying you didnt play againist those teams but they were not conference games until 1988.And I agree about supporting the kids. ;-)

catch22
Riding the Bench

Post by catch22 »

hey earp, have u heard anything on who will take the middle school now since McClung will be at the high school?

earp
S

Post by earp »

Thats the $10,000 question right now???I have no idea. :122248

catch22
Riding the Bench

Post by catch22 »

yes, yes, yes! I'm sitting here looking at one of my old schedules and it has all three of those teams as conference games .1985. and I know for a fact we played them as confernce games in 84. I believe symmes valley and oak hill left our league in about 83.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Fairland schedule 1984:
1.Meigs
2.Buffalo-there is no star that denotes conference game
3.Wheelersburg
4.Chesapeake-Conference game
5.Wayne-Once again no star to denote
6.Oak Hill-Conference game
7.Rock hill- Conference game
8.South Point-Conference game
9.Symmes Valley-Conference game
10.Coal Grove-Conference game

Wayne and Buffalo were independents at this time.Ceredo-Kenova as you notice is nowhere to be found.They were part of the deal when the W.Virginia teams got in the conference.I am gathering this info from the game program for the september 14th 1984 game between Fairland and Wheelersburg which I have setting in my lap reading off of it. ;-)

earp
S

Post by earp »

Here is proof that Oak Hill was in the OVC until 1985:

http://www.jacksonohio.org/football.htm

catch22
Riding the Bench

Post by catch22 »

on my lap lays a 1985 south point schedule that reads;

portsmouth west
vinson
wheelersburg
* rock hill
*BUFFALO
*coal grove
*CEREDO KENOVA
*fairland
*WAYNE
*chesapeake
AS YOU SEE, THERE IS NO OAK HILL OR SYMMES VALLEY!!! SO WE DID PLAY THE WEST VIRGINIA TEAMS IN CONFERENCE PLAY. I PLAYED AND DO REMEMBER!!!

coachb
Freshman Team

Post by coachb »

Clayton Dement should be your next MS coach. He has coached all those kids in pee-wee ball and proven himself over the years. The only bad thing is after a couple years the BOE would probably have too give it back to a teacher. that's what always seems to happen. Not meening to talk anyone down, the teachers have firsty dibs on those contracts. It's just a pain in the butt every year wondering if you will be coaching the next year (if your not a teacher)

sportsnut mom
Freshman Team

Post by sportsnut mom »

How many people remember the amount of boys who stayed back in 8th grade during the 80's to get "another year of growth"? Earp you should remember. Coal Grove was always accused of this but FHS did it too.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Ya youre right mom they did!I remember all of the Rose boys held back in middle school for football a year.I know that for a fact because they were all older than us.Even Darin who was in our class was a year older.He should have actually graduated in 84.Sorry to show our age like that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Football”