Should the SEOAL unite or keep divisions for 2009?

Army
S

Post by Army »

gahs4ever wrote:Why would any SOC school leave their current situation? Gi ve me one reason.

As it stands they are basically a one county league (Scioto) plus Waverly (Pike). Their longest road trips are measured in terms of less than one hour, and they have long standing rivalries.

You think they would be interested in a league that everyone on SEOPS is calling unstable with no future, and then travel much farther to play schools they for the most part have little to no history against?

BRILLIANT???? The SEOAL has a better chance of staying together with the remaining 8 teams than this ever has of happening.

You are also forgetting the history of the SOC with Portsmouth over the years, and how they have consistently rebuffed both Portsmouth and I think Ironton from membership. So you think THEY will then leave an established league to join WITH them?

Gasoline for one.... :!:

Gate Draws for two :!:

A real SE-Ohio League for three :!:

Teams all have played each other in several sports already... Four :!:

Travel is reduced and competition is great...Five :!:

Possible D2, D3, D4, D5 Teams making Playoffs in one season Six :!:

Life would go on without Logan...Seven :!:

The league would be a great sports league...eight :!:

Army
S

Post by Army »

gahs4ever wrote:ARMY...only your next to last argument is valid because.

The five SEOAL schools are already in the league. The problem is with the SOC schools you keep trying to include in your wishful thinking.

For PWest, Waverly, and Burg to move wouldnt.....

1. result in less fuel used

2. probably not increase gates THAT much, if at all

3. We have a "real" SE Ohio league right now.

4. GAHS doesnt play hardly any of those schools in anything right now

I can see your point about it being advantageous for the five SEOAL schools in your picture. The problem is convincing any one of the three SOC schools to leave their gravy train for increased travel and fewer rivalries. Ive always been one of those (even before the last expansion) who thought Burg would be a great fit in the SEOAL. They are very happy where they are and who can blame them?

Ask Ironton, Portsmouth, Chillicothe and some Jackson folks how they would feel about a League like this. :-D

If they could convince 2 out of the 3 in the SOC II and add Jackson that would be O.K. too. :-D

You keep dreaming that some in these cities wouldn't be interested. Gate draw at these games would be huge. One, because of the Football Teams these respected schools already have. The same goes for the basketball games. Rivals would be natural due to most teams already playing each other in non-league play over the years.

Take for example the Waverly-Jackson game. Not like 1970-1982 is it :?:

Chillicothe verses Wheelersburg in Basketball. Off and on since the 70's.

Chillicothe verses Waverly in Basketball. Off and on since the 50's.

Portsmouth vs Portsmouth West :!:

Ironton vs Wheelersburg :!:

Jackson and Chillicothe in Football :!:

Ironton vs Portsmouth :!:

Jackson vs Ironton :!:

Wheelersburg vs Waverly :!:

Portsmouth vs Chillicothe Rival...played each other since 1898 :!:

Portsmouth West vs Waverly :!:

Chillicothe vs Ironton :!:

Wheelersburg vs Jackson :!:

Portsmouth West vs Ironton :!:

New relationships would have to be built upon between Chillicothe and Portsmouth West. Chilli has played Portsmouth West in Basketball and Baseball over the years.

Keep dreaming this would not benefit Southern Ohio with a real SE-Ohio League. :-D

Maybe Gallipolis and Logan could stay in a 2 team SEOAL if the SEOAL falls apart. :-D

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

GAHS, I admire your devotion to our league and Gallipolis. I as well am a proud supporter of Gallipolis no matter where they play. I have been there for the 0-10years in football and the 9-1 years. i try to stay active in supporting the Devils and Angels as well as the youth of Gallia County.I am a big beleiver in change will happen and I have no respect for anyone who gives the answer "thats the way it has always been'. I respect your opinions and also mostly agree with them, I also know there is a lot of posters that do nothing but stir crap. It is a little much that this topic seems to be on every forum out there. As far as coffee or dinner goes, Im in especially if your buying.

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

I think some people have overblown the 83 years thing. If you go North of Columbus and West of Columbus or South West of Columbus, noone knows what the SEOAL is. Heck, I saw a reference on one thread that said Zanesville was now goin g to have the nicest stadium in South Eastern Ohio. South Eastern Ohio? Maybe Central Ohio? Maybe Eastern ohio? But South? I wouldnt call Zanesville South.
One thing is for sure. Logan and Gallipolis will always be a part of the SEOAL. Until death do us part. If the league is not proactive, I see that happening.

Army
S

Post by Army »

someoverkill wrote:I think some people have overblown the 83 years thing. If you go North of Columbus and West of Columbus or South West of Columbus, noone knows what the SEOAL is. Heck, I saw a reference on one thread that said Zanesville was now goin g to have the nicest stadium in South Eastern Ohio. South Eastern Ohio? Maybe Central Ohio? Maybe Eastern ohio? But South? I wouldnt call Zanesville South.
One thing is for sure. Logan and Gallipolis will always be a part of the SEOAL. Until death do us part. If the league is not proactive, I see that happening.

someoverkill,

I agree.....nothing against the SEOAL, I grew up playing in the league at Wellston. Where I might add the SEOAL was formed in 1925. From Jr. High to High School. Heck for that matter...all the way through grade school. Our Gym Teacher (Max West) a Bataan Death March and POW survivor of WWII bless his soul......always instilled in us, GO Golden Rockets..beat Jackson. :-D

Just like my alma mater did last night against the Ironmen in B-Ball in OT 70-66 :-D

But you are right. The 83 years thing is way over blown. I like the quote about Zanesville too. Kinda of laughed at that one. They are more in Eastern Ohio in my opinion. :-D

oldschoolblue....Hit it right where it needs to be heard. When he said.
oldschoolblue wrote:GAHS, I admire your devotion to our league and Gallipolis. I as well am a proud supporter of Gallipolis no matter where they play. I have been there for the 0-10years in football and the 9-1 years. i try to stay active in supporting the Devils and Angels as well as the youth of Gallia County. I am a big beleiver in change will happen and I have no respect for anyone who gives the answer "thats the way it has always been'. I respect your opinions and also mostly agree with them, I also know there is a lot of posters that do nothing but stir crap. It is a little much that this topic seems to be on every forum out there. As far as coffee or dinner goes, Im in especially if your buying.

Time will tell...but a league like that described would be a perfect SE-Ohio league with already established foes.

Chillicothe D3
Waverly D4
Portsmouth West D5
Portsmouth D4
Wheelersburg D5
Ironton D4
Gallipolis D4
Jackson D2

Army :!:

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Concerning long-time member schools leaving, I think of it from this perspective.......

For over thirty years, there were no changes in membership. The SEOAL was "solid" with Athens, Gallipolis, Logan, Jackson, Wellston, Pomeroy and Middleport (and subsequently Meigs), and Nelsonville (and subsequently Nelsonville-York). A simple consolidation of two league schools in Meigs County opened the door for Ironton to join, but the league was "solid" with the long time members. 8 solid members (7 after the Meigs consolidation)

In 1970, Nelsonville-York left. The SEOAL was still "solid" with long-time members Athens, Gallipolis, Logan, Jackson, Wellston and Meigs. 6 solid members.

In 1982, Wellston left. The SEOAL was still "solid" with long-time members Athens, Gallipolis, Logan, Jackson and Meigs. 5 solid members.

In 1983, Meigs left. The SEOAL was still "solid" with long-time members Athens, Gallipolis, Logan and Jackson. 4 solid members.

In 2008, Athens leaves. The SEOAL is still "solid" with long-time members Gallipolis, Logan, and Jackson. 3 solid members.

Over time, that list of "solid" long-time SEOAL members gets shorter and shorter. To think that the three remaining long-time members will always be in the league because they always have been is not very realistic, as the course of history shows that long-time "solid" members in the past have left the league over the years.

Army
S

Post by Army »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:Concerning long-time member schools leaving, I think of it from this perspective.......

For over thirty years, there were no changes in membership. The SEOAL was "solid" with Athens, Gallipolis, Logan, Jackson, Wellston, Pomeroy and Middleport (and subsequently Meigs), and Nelsonville (and subsequently Nelsonville-York). A simple consolidation of two league schools in Meigs County opened the door for Ironton to join, but the league was "solid" with the long time members. 8 solid members (7 after the Meigs consolidation)

In 1970, Nelsonville-York left. The SEOAL was still "solid" with long-time members Athens, Gallipolis, Logan, Jackson, Wellston and Meigs. 6 solid members.

In 1982, Wellston left. The SEOAL was still "solid" with long-time members Athens, Gallipolis, Logan, Jackson and Meigs. 5 solid members.

In 1983, Meigs left. The SEOAL was still "solid" with long-time members Athens, Gallipolis, Logan and Jackson. 4 solid members.

In 2008, Athens leaves. The SEOAL is still "solid" with long-time members Gallipolis, Logan, and Jackson. 3 solid members.

Over time, that list of "solid" long-time SEOAL members gets shorter and shorter. To think that the three remaining long-time members will always be in the league because they always have been is not very realistic, as the course of history shows that long-time "solid" members in the past have left the league over the years.

You are the man.....NYBuckeye96 :!:

That is the best counter arguement I have seen to date concerning the old addage.....We have always been and always will be in the SEOAL :!:

Great Point my friend from Nelsonville-York.....Great Point :!: :-D

ARMY :-D

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

How can you argue with Buckeyes post, time will tell.

Army
S

Post by Army »

oldschoolblue wrote:How can you argue with Buckeyes post, time will tell.

I agree :!: :-D

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I agree with NYbuckeye96, but I do think the league will be around in one way or another. However I think that they need to combine the league for football though. That takes away the headache of moving teams around and with Athens gone and ZV following plus mabe Ironton. That cuts down on travel a little

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

I feel that Portsmouth should leave the SEOAL. Being Independent is really neat because you get to pick your whole schedule. You aren't stuck with having to play conference games. You can play whoever.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

FalconFan wrote:I feel that Portsmouth should leave the SEOAL. Being Independent is really neat because you get to pick your whole schedule. You aren't stuck with having to play conference games. You can play whoever.

:-D That may be a good fit for Portsmouth but it has become much harder over the last 4 or 5 years for independant schools to fill there schedules. I guess if they do you will get a good tour of West Virginia.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Army
S

Post by Army »

WV :shock: :shock: :shock: :?: :-D

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

I wonder how easy it is to learn? :-D

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

If you can't fill your schedule with in state games, you are gonna go to Wva. alot. Good thing is that means a lot of wins!!!!! :-D

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

I wouldnt want to schedule any West Virginia teams. Portsmouth would role over every single one of them. High School football in Ohio is much superior than West Virginia football.

Return to “Football”