PICS(Article working) Chesapeake 49 Coal Grove 28

bhicks42
Freshman Team

Re: PICS(Article working) Chesapeake 49 Coal Grove 28

Post by bhicks42 »

Wish things had gone better for us. Great job on the pics!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Last night I made my first trip to Chesapeake to take in a game. Over the years I had watched both teams play, but never at either of their home stadiums. My drive should have taken 2:45 minutes, but with all of the traffic and construction on route 52, my drive too close to 3.5 hours. I was lucky to get a decent seat and my parking place seemed good, until two minutes before the half there was an announcement that 12 cars had to me moved, and yes mine was one of them. Other than that this trip was great. A nice stadium and the fans, I set near all were very nice. I even gave this site's address to a couple of them.

Now to the game that had enough action to keep any fan entertain.

Jacob Clark opened things up with a 15-yard run at the 9:25 mark of the quarter. He was planted into the ground by Casey Mccomas or the gain would have gone for a lot more. Just :25 later the Hornets ground attack was on again, when Kimo Baldwin used some fine work by his big offensive lineman to pick up a big chunk of yards, he was stopped Mccomas. The 54-yard drive ended with a 8-yard run up the gut by Clark, who found the end zone fairly easy in a large part because of the work done by his offensive line, who was dominating on this drive. Baldwin walked in to complete a two-point run, making the score,8-0 Coal Grove at the 6:57 mark.

When the Panthers took the field for offense, it was apparent that Mccomas as good as he was on defense was the leader and the big star of the offense. He would pick up 10-yards on a fine run where he showed power and agility, with a nice spin move and then he rolled out to throw the ball and when he scanned the field but found nobody opened, he calmly took off and picked up six yards. The 12-play play, 63-yard drive ended when facing a fourth and two, McComas dropped back and hit Will Scott for the two-yard touchdown. After strong footed Dalton Nida. 6'3 165 junior hit the point after the score was,8-7 Hornets with 2:27 left on the clock.

The Hornets ground game was back in a big way at the 1:43 mark of the quarter, when Daniel Rutherford picked up 45-yards on a fine play that was stopped once again by Mccomas. Near the end of the exciting quarter the Hornets put the ball on the ground and when the pile cleared, the refs signal that Chesapeake had the ball.

Chesapeake would start the drive on its own seven-yard line and need just six-plays to find pay dirt again. The scoring run came on a sixty-yard run right in front of the home team's bench by Cecil Fletcher. The point after making this a,14-8 game at the 10:43 mark of the quarter.

The Hornets showed that their ground game was able to put the mistake far behind them the next time it got a chance to run, and did so in a huge way. With 9:09 left in the half Daniel Rutherford got the hand off and raced 64-yard run to lock this one up. The point after by Jeb Jones was missed to keep this one locked up at 14 apiece.

A Chesapeake fumble at the 8:59 mark of the quarter was recovered by the Hornets. The signal was given by the refs after the pile cleared and I nor those sitting around me was able to see which player came up with it.

The Hornets converted a 4th and two at the 7:17 mark of the quarter, when Baldwin powered up the gut to move the chains. Then at the 6:20 mark Matty Cordle connected with Daniel Rutherford for a ten-yard gain, down to the Panthers eleven-yard line. Then with 6:14 left in the half Baldwin moved the chains on a third and one to keep the drive alive. With 5:35 showing on the clock, Jacob Clark was stopped at the one-yard line by,Zach Wright and Dakota Spence. The ten-play drive came to a close on with a Clark one-yard run. #13Matty Cordle fumbled the ball on the two-point try, but he calmly picked the ball up and found Dylan Malone all alone to make this a, 22-14 game.

With 3:51 showing on the clock Mccomas hit Ty Wilcoxon for a 38-yard gain. Wilcoxon was wide opened on the play as he easily beat his man on the play. Mccomas was crushed for a three-yard loss, when he to a massive hit by Baldwin and Nathan Harrison, with 3:00 left in the half. The momentum taken away by the Hornets stayed on their side, when Dylan Malone picked off a McComas pass with 2:18 left in the half.

The 2nd half started as badly as it could have for Coal Grove when they again put the ball on the ground on their own 22-yard-line and making the recovery for the Panthers was Ty Wilcoxon, who seemed to show up often when a big play was needed.

Mccomas would cap off the 2-play drive with a 10-yard run at the 10:39 mark of the quarter. A two point conversion pass was batted away by Malone leaving this a, 22-20 game with the Hornets clinging to the lead.

The Panthers would take the lead with 2:57 left in the quarter, when they closed out a six-play, 76-yard run on with a 47-yard quarterback keeper by,Mccomas. A two point conversion pass from McComas to Cecil Fletcher made this a, 28-22 game.

Just :55 gone in the final frame it appeared the Panthers had lit up the scoreboard again when McComas scored from twenty-yards out but a block in the back negated the score. The Panthers offense shook off the flag and scored again on a ten-yard run by, yes you guessed it Mr. Everything Casey McComas. The point after making this a 35-22 game, with 10:15 showing on the clock. On this run McComas would break a couple of tackles and then spin like Berry Sanders then bounced around like a pinball before finally stopping in the end zone.

Coal Grove wasn't about to quit, though they were looking somewhat gassed at this point of the contest.
With 7:24 left in this one Cordle found a wide-opened Daniel Rutherford, for a 42-yard gain.
Cordle closed out the 8-play, 70-yard drive with a two-yard run with 7:09 left. Cordle tried a two point conversion pass, but it was picked off by J.W. Bartrum, keeping this a 35-28 game.

With Coal Grove having Uncle Mo on its side the last thing they needed was a blunder by their special teams on the kickoff, but as bad luck would have it, that is what happened. Or one could call it a great play by the Panthers special teams. The bottom line was a 80-yard kickoff return for a touchdown by Mr. Everything Casey Mccomas. The pint after made this a 42-28 game. This was one of the best individual performances I have watched this season and this was my 31 ST game in person.

The biggest hit in the game came with 5:24 left, it came from Austin Browning. Browning laid a tremendous legal hit on a Hornet receiver after a catch was made.

With 3:50 left Cecil Fletcher busted through three tackles on his way to a 15-yard gain. I think a large part of this was effort and a little because the Hornets was gassed big time. Just ten seconds later Will Scott picked up 21-yards on a nice run. The game's final score came as one might have guessed Mr Everything Casey Mccomas, on a 24-yard run. The point after made the final score,49-28.

The games last big hit came from Brendan Meadows, who blasted Baldwin after a short gain.

UNOFFICIAL STATS
PANTHERS
46 PLAYS
422 YARDS
PASSING 3-6 1 TD 1 INT

HORNETS
72 PLAYS
457 YARDS
PASSING 5-12
Last edited by LICKING COUNTY FAN on Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BearMarshall
Waterboy

Post by BearMarshall »

Nice write up. I hope you had a pleasant time. Parking will always be an issue for big games. We just don't have the land. Before the soft ball field was built that area was used for parking, but our girls needed an on campus place to play.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

BearMarshall wrote:Nice write up. I hope you had a pleasant time. Parking will always be an issue for big games. We just don't have the land. Before the soft ball field was built that area was used for parking, but our girls needed an on campus place to play.
I had a very good time. Parking was easy when I got there. It took most of halftime to find another place to park. I was more made because it looked like nine of the cars were not moved and nothing was done.

Thanks on the kind words on the write up.

Buckeye09
Riding the Bench

Post by Buckeye09 »

Good article. Glad you came down. Hopefully you can come back if we finish this season out with a home playoff game.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

I hope to see you guys and Newark Catholic in the playoffs.

cincifan34
Waterboy

Post by cincifan34 »

Great article just wanted to make one correction the first PEAKE touchdown was Will Scott

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Thanks. Will correct.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Almost 500 views. I think this might be the highest ever, for one of these articles.

Thanks.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

When you come to a small school like Chesapeake, we like to hear people's thoughts on our team and facilities. Thanks again for coming

ROLL PEAKE

Return to “Football”