Wheelersburg 38 Jackson 13

fbnut
SEOP

Re: Game of the Week Jackson (3-1) @ Wheelersburg (4-0)

Post by fbnut »

I'm going to have to side with the ones that think #5 should have caught that fake punt.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Congrats to Wheelersburg on the win. They were everything I thought they'd be...so many great athletes all over the field. There isn't a program in SE Ohio that I have more respect for (outside of Jackson, for me obviously), and the Burg is clearly the class of our area right now. Good luck the rest of the way. Hope you guys win state!

Jackson got off to a rough start. From my vantage point, the onside kick was touched before it went 10 yards, but it wasn't called that way. The real killer was forcing a fumble on the very next play and then having it scooped up and taken to the house by the Burg WR. Very unfortunate turn of events out of the gate for Jackson, and they were then fighting an uphill battle the rest of the night. I thought Jackson showed a lot of heart and composure in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and they really had some chances to make a game of it, but penalties and the dropped TD were just too much to overcome. The loss of Storms to a wrist injury in the 2ndQ really hurt the running game in the 2nd half, but Burg was lights out defensively at critical points in the game and they were able to seal the win.

I have to give a lot of credit to Coach Hall and his staff for the game plan tonight. They did exactly what they needed to do, and Jackson was very successful moving the ball. Just too many penalties and other mistakes to beat a great team. I'm confident that Jackson can get those mistakes cleaned up and get things moving in the right direction going forward. The next two weeks are SEOAL games, so it's time to get SEOAL title #25 and build toward the end of the season. Pretty much have to win out from now on, and it'll be tough, but just take it one game at a time and see what happens.
Last edited by ironman02 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

greygoose wrote:Yeah they slowed the rushing attack down but didn't much. Jackson's penalties stopped the run forced them to throw and Burg did a nice job of applying pressure. Officiating wasn't inconsistent. False starts are false starts, the holds on Jackson seen each right in the line on pass plays tackled kids getting through. I thought there was times where it looked like the officials were little confused on some plays especially guy on the Jackson sideline he had a lot of action his way. All in All though they handled their own. Of course burg had more penalty YARDS, they were hit with multiple 15 yard penalties. They had I think 2-5 yard facemask penalties other then that they were hit with 10 and 15 yard penalties on multiple occasions. What'd they have 3 or 4, 15 yarders. Adds up quicker then a false start but Jackson was turning 2nd and 4 into 2nd and 9 a bunch. Can't do that and keep with the run.
Burg had 6 holding penalties if not more and those penalties cause the Burg to have to punt on a few occasions I think the score could have been way worse But I do give Jackson credit they do have a nice running attack also burg had a couple nice passes from dyer dropped so the miscues and penalties were bad for both teams

Burg grad 85
Burg93
Freshman Team

Re: Week5 Jackson 3-1@ Wheelersburg 4-0

Post by Burg93 »

JTEK wrote:well find out if this team is anywhere near the team everyone thinks it is Friday night
So?

piratepride86
JV Team

Post by piratepride86 »

JTEk
just tell everyone kudos

Great game by two good teams.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

scott1297 wrote:
greygoose wrote:Yeah they slowed the rushing attack down but didn't much. Jackson's penalties stopped the run forced them to throw and Burg did a nice job of applying pressure. Officiating wasn't inconsistent. False starts are false starts, the holds on Jackson seen each right in the line on pass plays tackled kids getting through. I thought there was times where it looked like the officials were little confused on some plays especially guy on the Jackson sideline he had a lot of action his way. All in All though they handled their own. Of course burg had more penalty YARDS, they were hit with multiple 15 yard penalties. They had I think 2-5 yard facemask penalties other then that they were hit with 10 and 15 yard penalties on multiple occasions. What'd they have 3 or 4, 15 yarders. Adds up quicker then a false start but Jackson was turning 2nd and 4 into 2nd and 9 a bunch. Can't do that and keep with the run.
Burg had 6 holding penalties if not more and those penalties cause the Burg to have to punt on a few occasions I think the score could have been way worse But I do give Jackson credit they do have a nice running attack also burg had a couple nice passes from dyer dropped so the miscues and penalties were bad for both teams
See that's how ppl view things, yes Burg had penalties and 1 dropped pass by #5 on the wheel route. Those are things they can't do especially come playoff time. HOWEVER, Burg was able to overcome those penalties most of the time. The Jackson defense had some troubles covering the pass and Burg got themselves out of trouble. EXCELLENT play call on I think it was 2nd down and long deep in their territory and Burg called the screen play that went for 25-30 yards. Jackson on the other hand, their offense isn't built to play from behind the or is it built for playing in 2nd and 3rd and long situations. Hats off to the Jackson defense in the 2nd half as they really held their own my guess is Burg probably hadn't been stopped to much until 2nd half. Believe Burgs first 2-3 drives ended in 3 and outs or 1 1st and done. Burg had a nice punter he was really getting the bounce and flipping the field, burg punting deep in their own territory would've liked to see Jackson place a 2nd returner shorter to prevent the big roll could've saved themselves a lot of field position.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Final thoughts on the game, loved the venue great atmosphere. Good game from 2 of the better programs in SE Ohio. Both teams with penalties that need cleaned up going forward. Burg a really explosive offense just need to develop the running game a bit from a power perspective. I seen both teams helping each other up and giving props to the other guy on a play made, good sportsmanship. 2 well coached teams that both made good halftime adjustments. Burgs execution was better then Jackson's only thing really keeping this from a game from being nip tuck the entire way. I do believe the score doesn't indicate how close the game actually was. Good luck to both teams moving forward as looks like Waverly will be the made hurdle for Burg rest of the way. While Jackson has 2 games at the end of the season that could test them. Jackson's band at half time, WOW, what a show!!

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

piratepride86 wrote:JTEk
just tell everyone kudos

Great game by two good teams.
Kudos
Great job by two good teams :D

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Seriously though I think this burg team is good, Im not sure their great. I think I'm somewhere between good and very good.
I'll be honest I think I'm just old school and it really bothers me that they can't line up,knock people off the ball, and play old school power football. An example is the 2nd half down on the goal line, they went big, unbalanced, ran twice and they didn't gain a yard. They went spread on 3rd and got it in. I wasn't sure how they would respond in a close game and they passed that test.

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

Ok... THE HYPE IS REAL. Jackson is an excellent D3 team and Burg won by 25. Burg was beating a 4-1 team (Portsmouth) 42-0 at halftime. Burg beat a North College Hill team by 25 last week who won their game last night 65-10. Burg had 42 points on the Ironton team at halftime, who won last night 41-0. Burg will now likely be untested for the rest of the regular season, with the exception of Waverly. After 5 game scores...Burg 214- Opponents 45.

Burg will continue getting better every week. Got a long way to improve before matching up with playoff contenders and northern schools. But we do know after the Jackson game that this Burg team is for real.

GO BURG!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

congratulations to the burg on a very impressive victory over a talented ironmen team. very solid win, over a larger opponent. that's what builds character and a program. ole bait is proud of you. and my crew won as well.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

:roll:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:congratulations to the burg on a very impressive victory over a talented ironmen team. very solid win, over a larger opponent. that's what builds character and a program. ole bait is proud of you. and my crew won as well.
Who cares Bait.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

• u
JTEK wrote:Seriously though I think this burg team is good, Im not sure their great. I think I'm somewhere between good and very good.
I'll be honest I think I'm just old school and it really bothers me that they can't line up,knock people off the ball, and play old school power football. An example is the 2nd half down on the goal line, they went big, unbalanced, ran twice and they didn't gain a yard. They went spread on 3rd and got it in. I wasn't sure how they would respond in a close game and they passed that test.
I don't understand this post. We are 5 games in and burg has not been threatened. Jackson is good but they had no shot last night. I also don't understand why people think the pirates cant run the football, with close to 200 yards rushing last night. They are on pace to break the all time offensive yards for burg in a season.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

P(irate) wrote::roll:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:congratulations to the burg on a very impressive victory over a talented ironmen team. very solid win, over a larger opponent. that's what builds character and a program. ole bait is proud of you. and my crew won as well.
Who cares Bait.
I guess someone done peed in your cheerios this morning hoss--cheer up man ya'll won.I was giving the program a compliment, a bit touchy are we. some of us down here like to see as many of them southern boys winning as we can. though the pirates torched my tigers, does not mean I cannot show them respect. maybe go back to bed fer a while, and drink some of that sleepy tea.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

wobycat wrote:
  • u
JTEK wrote:Seriously though I think this burg team is good, Im not sure their great. I think I'm somewhere between good and very good.
I don't understand this post. We are 5 games in and burg has not been threatened. Jackson is good but they had no shot last night. I also don't understand why people think the pirates cant run the football, with close to 200 yards rushing last night. They are on pace to break the all time offensive yards for burg in a season.
I guess it's more how they run it I guess. I'll be honest I would like to be able to line up with teams knowing your going to run and they still can't stop you. March it down the field 4-5-6-7 yds at time and when yu get inside the ten line up in double tights full house and run it right down there throats. This team isn't that. This team is more spread and run, trick teams with formations, they aren't going to man handle anyone up front, more like a loss of 2, loss of 1, no gain, 1 yd gain, no gain, 2 yd gain , 30 yd gain type of team.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

JTEK wrote:
wobycat wrote:
  • u
I guess it's more how they run it I guess. I'll be honest I would like to be able to line up with teams knowing your going to run and they still can't stop you. March it down the field 4-5-6-7 yds at time and when yu get inside the ten line up in double tights full house and run it right down there throats. This team isn't that. This team is more spread and run, trick teams with formations, they aren't going to man handle anyone up front, more like a loss of 2, loss of 1, no gain, 1 yd gain, no gain, 2 yd gain , 30 yd gain type of team.
I understand what you are saying JTEK, for example I bet we had less first downs last night than Jackson did. We scored first TD without gaining a first down lol on first play.

Jackson did sort of what you are saying cracking off first downs, except they didn't score. 3 and 4 yard runs and moved chains for first downs but ultimately Burg defense bowed up and stopped them. Burg's strength is knowing their strength. Last years we controlled offensive LOS this year we are prodding for weaknesses and then boom we find it and it is a big play. This year I think we are a little different up front (and we know that) so we are going to be different.

The ability to have a 6'-5 receiver go up and get about anything within 10' off the ground is a nice problem to have along with the ability to break big run plays. The read option last night was ran several times by the QB to perfection, that is going to be hard for anyone to stop, just great execution.

Cpt. Obvious
JV Team

Post by Cpt. Obvious »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:
P(irate) wrote::roll:
Who cares Bait.
I guess someone done peed in your cheerios this morning hoss--cheer up man ya'll won.I was giving the program a compliment, a bit touchy are we. some of us down here like to see as many of them southern boys winning as we can. though the pirates torched my tigers, does not mean I cannot show them respect. maybe go back to bed fer a while, and drink some of that sleepy tea.
lol obviously bait missed the attention he was getting with his ridiculous posts.... Bait we can keep n doing this as long as you want.. Your posts are weasely and snide.... But I guess that's the character that you have... Glad to see that you got out of that walker tho buddy and did yard work all day.. Too bad ya couldn't even support your own team.... Once again.... But that's ok also cause as long as your leading the ironton fan wagon things will remain the same in ole ironton... All talk and no walk. P.S. I had steak n eggs for breakfast before ya come back at me with your lame attempts at sarcasm :lol:

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Sure does feel like Burg just might be in the Shoe this year. Playmakers everywhere you look, one of the best coaching staffs. Just hope they stay healthy.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I believe they take the region but the shoe for a southeast team is difficult, but I agree, they have some players.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Burg isn't a lock for the region.. Ridgewood, garaway, and a couple others might have something to say...

Return to “Football”