How well will Athens play in the TVC

spartacat
Freshman Team

Post by spartacat »

I don't think Athens will walk into the TVC next year and dominate. However, all schools (in one sport or another) has up and down years in sports.

If we are talking playoffs and football (and please correct me if I am wrong) doesn't it do more harm than good for Athens to move to the TVC? The reason I say this - and the same could be said about Vinton County - aren't both schools D2? They have to play smaller schools in the TVC league schedule I think it would be hard to get the computer points that are needed to go to football playoffs. NY is successful in doing this because they are a small division (D5 maybe?) and play bigger schools in their non-league games. Looks like it would be hard for Athens and VC to do this.

Army
S

Post by Army »

spartacat wrote:I don't think Athens will walk into the TVC next year and dominate. However, all schools (in one sport or another) has up and down years in sports.

If we are talking playoffs and football (and please correct me if I am wrong) doesn't it do more harm than good for Athens to move to the TVC? The reason I say this - and the same could be said about Vinton County - aren't both schools D2? They have to play smaller schools in the TVC league schedule I think it would be hard to get the computer points that are needed to go to football playoffs. NY is successful in doing this because they are a small division (D5 maybe?) and play bigger schools in their non-league games. Looks like it would be hard for Athens and VC to do this.

spartacat,

Both Schools are D3 not D2.

TVC-Ohio 2008-2009 Season

1. Wellston Golden Rockets D4
2. Pomeroy Meigs Marauders D4
3. Nelsonville-York Buckeyes D5
4. The Plains Athens Bulldogs D3
5. McArthur Vinton County Vikings D3
6. Belpre Eagles D5
7. Albany Alexander Spartans D4

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

When Athens turns things around, they will have four non-league football games in which they can play bigger schools for playoff points. The TVC Ohio will still provide point help for Athens if Athens wins the TVC outright - something any team must do for a successful playoff run.

Keep in mind, the TVC Ohio has had years where two or three teams made the playoffs. This is possible now that the playoffs are "watered down" and there are six divisions in four regions that provide 8 playoff teams each.

And even if Athens does start to dominate a sport or two, maybe that will be the incentive the rest of the teams in the league need to improve their own programs. I think the TVC has a habit of being boring in some years in certain sports. Maybe this is the exact shakeup the league needs to break that.

Athens is barely larger than Vinton County and some people talk like the sky is falling. I just don't see it happening. Nelsonville-York is the smallest school in the TVC OHIO and I challenge you to find one person from NY who does not want Athens in the league. I have not heard one person from NY who is not excited about this. Likewise, the people I know from Alexander are all excited about this.

I for one am glad the TVC FINALLY added a larger school. This is the first larger school addition since 1983 when Meigs joined. Did people think the sky was falling then when they joined the league? It's nice to see a larger school come on board, as the last three schools added all went to the Hocking - Eastern, Southern, and Waterford - and all have under 100 boys.

And the final thing I'd like to point out is that this was a unanimous decision. Every school in the TVC voted to offer an invitation to Athens to join the league. The vote was 12-0. So the athletic directors at each school in the league no doubt believe this is a good move for everyone involved.

spartacat
Freshman Team

Post by spartacat »

Army - thanks for the info

I didn't say anything about the sky is falling with Athens coming into the TVC. I can't say that I am happy or not happy about them coming into the TVC - doesn't matter either way to me. Seems like all of the Athens County TVC schools play Athens in at least a couple sports during the year. Allthough now come to think about it - it is good that ALL Athens county schools are in one league.

bulldog0909
Freshman Team

Post by bulldog0909 »

either way,say we do come in this year and dominate and win every game,ppl will say,o there too big they shouldn't have come into the league,or say we come in and lose everygame,ppl will say i told you so,so either way,theres bad talk.

otterslide
JV Team

Post by otterslide »

bulldog0909 wrote:either way,say we do come in this year and dominate and win every game,ppl will say,o there too big they shouldn't have come into the league,or say we come in and lose everygame,ppl will say i told you so,so either way,theres bad talk.

Welcome to the TVC...lol

Hey nobody thought we would be any good either this year. I know Belpre won't take any team lightly. The players made that mistake once this year with Fort Frye....

ATownWarrior
Freshman Team

Post by ATownWarrior »

i agree when sayin that athens will NOT succeed in the TVC. at first. however in a few years they may turn into a threat. if you look at the 2007 season they managed to get one win. it was against a TVC team but if i recall a lot of the non SEOAL schedule were against TVC teams. managing to get one win out of them. i cannot wait to watch next season unfold, to see just how the bulldogs will do. i will promise that just because they were in the SEOAL that does not guarantee they will win the TVC they may get lucky and win a league game. unless coaching there picks up a little bit.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

If you go to highschoolsports.net, Athens has many of their schedules up for next year. Jackson and Gallia Academy were on the boys basketball schedule for one game each. The soccer schedule is filled with many of the SEOAL schools. Athens also added Belpre to their soccer schedule for two games. Athens-Alexander-Belpre are the only TVC soccer teams. I don't know if any other TVC school will ever add soccer or not. I know Federal Hocking tried to make a go of it, but they no longer field a team.

Since Athens has a wrestling team, that would make 8 TVC schools with wrestling. (Alexander, Federal Hocking, Eastern, Southern and Miller do not have wrestling). Wrestling, Cross Country, and Track and Field are the only league sports that are not broken down into divisions I think. Am I right on that???? Or at least there is a league championship at the end of the season in those sports and all 13 schools (8 schools for wrestling) will compete for the same championship.

Besides soccer, tennis is the other sport not played by other TVC schools. Vinton County does have girls tennis, but that is it. I don't know if tennis will ever be added to other TVC schools or not. I do think that NY would be more likely to add tennis than soccer. I don't think you will ever see a soccer field at NY, but maybe one day their will be a tennis court. At least NY now has cross country! This past year was the first year NY had a cross country team. NY had been the only TVC school without the sport, but now every school in the league has it.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

boilermaker...must of been a bluemoon. ;-)

...But I have to agree, when you look at all the sports, boys and girls, Athens will be a major player in league titles. Not at once, but over a period of a few years. Look for it to start in track and field, both boys and girls in the spring of 2009.

Athens is leaving the SEOAL to be competive and to win. Once the winning starts, more kids will be coming out to be on the teams. As I said, success breeds success.

Plus, you just cannot look at football and boys basketball as mark of a successful athletic department at a school. If the TVC would have an All-sports trophy, I am not sure if they do now or not, Athens would/will be serious contender.

I also think they will be good from the get go in cross-country from the simple fact not many schools in the TVC have cross country. Belpre needed 1 more runner on their team and by doing this, it is my understanding that there would be enough schools in the TVC to crown a TVC champion. I guess that at least 1/2 of the schools have to field teams for there to be a recognized champion. Somebody check that for me.

It is my opinion that Athens will be the favorite in boys and girls track and cross country next year. They should also be a front runner in baseball. I am not sure of softball, wrestling, volleyball, girls basketball. Boys basketball they will finish no worse then middle of the pack.

The TVC doesn't crown a soccer champ, but Belpre has to play it's heart out just to hang with Alexander so I think Athens will outclass the Eagles with little effort.

It will take the Bulldogs awhile to win in football but I think with the right mix, they can get there in a few years and then the major hand-wringing will start.

JMHO.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Nice post Mister B ;-)

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The Athens girls might be there in track next year but the boys program needs a lot of help.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
coach k
Freshman Team

Post by coach k »

I can speak for cross country...The league is not broken down into divisions for the championship. Last year (2007) the following schools had full teams represented at the TVC cross country meet: Boys - Alex (champ), Trimble, Southern, VC, NY, and Meigs. Wellston, Belpre, Eastern, and Miller each had runners, but not enough to field a full team. I beleieve at some point in time Waterford also had a couple of runners last year. Federal Hocking did not have any runners. As for the girls Meigs (champs), VC, Alex, and Trimble had full teams with Southern, Wellston, NY, Waterford, Belpre, and Eastern having individuals. Federal Hocking and Miller did not have any female runners. As for crowning a champion...I have never been told that a certain number of full teams needed to be present, because the Meigs girls received a trophy last year. As a TVC cross country coach, I welcome Athens into the league. They bring more credibility to our league. Yes, as of now, they would be next year's favorites.

As for track, the TVC meet is run as one meet, but the leading point scorer for each division is that division's champion.

bucksfan08
Freshman Team

Re: How well will Athens play in the TVC

Post by bucksfan08 »

SO let me throw this in there. We all know how poor trimble school district is, and we all know that NY is building a new school, WHEN trimble closes its door's due to the fact they have no money, Im assuming that the athletes will travel to NY, its close, convienant and competitive, what happens to the League then, with Both the Hocking and Ohio "powerhouses" combining? this is just speculation, but we all know this is a very possible reality. :?:

grizzlynatural
Varsity

Post by grizzlynatural »

Then if Nelsonville was smart they'd join the SEOAL. Maybe not right away, maybe wait on Logan to leave and take their place.

0restes
Waterboy

Post by 0restes »

Logan will never leave the SEO. Where would they go? They are a big fish in a small SE ohio pond.

It sure was fun beating the big city school last year. Cant wait for 09 now that the toth kid is gone.

Return to “Football”