Chesapeake 49 Coal Grove 28

fred_flinstone
Freshman Team

Re: Week 5 OVC Coal Grove (3-0, 1-0) @ Chesapeake (4-0,1-0)

Post by fred_flinstone »

Thanks for the correction PantherPride!
Go Peake!!!

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

IM going with Chesapeake by a TD on this one!

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

fred_flinstone wrote:Cgdude.... WHAT? Coal Grove has to much team speed for Chesapeake? Are you joking? They have a state qualifier in the 100m dash in the back field, I believe he ran a 4.6ish 40yd dash, the QB just rushed for 200+ yds and he runs his 40 in the 4.7second area, Chesapeake then had another back and a receiver that run their 40's just under 4.9 seconds. These are numbers I have heard, but so far from what I have seen they look to be true. I'm not saying they are D1 athletes but they are fast! Coal Grove will not have the team speed Chesapeake does. Also Chesapeake will fly to the football and lay the wood. This atmosphere should be GREAT! I would get there about hour and a half early to get a good seat. And to answer your question Licking County Fan yes the field is directly between the high school and middle school. It's a nice campus with a pretty good amount of parking but for this particular game there will not be enough parking!
and there will definitely not be enuff seating.............

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

I never thought the new stadium had enough seating anyway, but that's a different story

ROLL PEAKE
fred_flinstone
Freshman Team

Post by fred_flinstone »

Same amount of seating as the old stadium just shaped different

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Can't wait to visit both teams stadiums this year. The Portsmouth Trojans have some unfinished business to handle after both squads blasted the Trojans at home last year. Going to be excellent football.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

Fred, actually not as many seats as before on the visitor side, plus before there was standing room on that side and that is also gone. The home side has more seating, but if you don't get there early it will be gone. The reason for the less seating on the visitor's side is the state right of way runs 25 feet from the end of the berm and Chesapeake could not build higher. If the stadium had been turned as was supposed to be the way to begin with they would of had more room for the seating, but would of lost parking spaces. So it was a no win situation. Now on to the game. I haven't been lucky enough to make a game this year, but have been keeping up through friends and family. Chesapeake has some of the best skill players in the southeast, maybe the state. The line was a weak spot coming into the season, but has worked hard to get better. This will probably be a high scoring game with the last the last team with the ball winning. I'm thinking 63-55, C&C show will be helped by Bartrum, Scott, and Wilcoxon. Hopefully Brantley is well and if so will be the biggest difference in the game. Let's Go Peake!!!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Is there reserve seating on the home side?

fred_flinstone
Freshman Team

Post by fred_flinstone »

Personally knowing the visitors side is smaller and the home side a little larger than the old stadium the total capacity is vertually the same. There was a lot of standing room on the old hill, but the new field has a fence all the way around it that probably 400 more people can stand. I'm sure the state troopers will have a field day with all the cars parking to watch on the highway! Get there as early as you can!
I also agree this one will probably be a shootout! Peake in a close one

Henry Jones, Jr.
Freshman Team

Post by Henry Jones, Jr. »

Here are some logistics and other background to this game for any out of towners who may show up for this one.

First, go to Casa Grande Mexican Restaurant, in Burlington about a mile down the road or one of the many restaurants across the river in Huntington, WV.

Second, parking is sometimes available behind the high school, but be prepared to park unconventionally, and maybe walk a bit.

Third, there is no reserve seating at Chesapeake, but if you do get a seat in the stands, it will be a good one as the stands are raised and they provide very good sight lines and close proximity to the field.

Fourth, this will be Homecoming for Chesapeake, so be prepared for that.

Fifth, not only is this game a big game this season, but it is the "Battle for the Little Brown Jug" between these two schools that goes back well before my time. For many years, before expansion, this Coal Grove/Chesapeake game decided the OVC championship. It could be the same in 2016

So, even before the kickoff of what should be a great game, this contest has absolutely everything a high school football fan could want in a game.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Great post. And to add on, class reunion events will be going on before the game at the Driving Range across the road, so take that into consideration when planning how early to go

ROLL PEAKE
SportFan08
Riding the Bench

Post by SportFan08 »

In 1936, two old friends, Coal Grove Hornets Coach Paul (Pat) Patterson and Chesapeake Coach Emerson (Tip) Woods made a friendly wager. The winning team would receive The Little Brown Jug and keep possession of the Jug until beaten by the other team. The Hornets won that first battle for the Jug 7-0 on November 20, 1936.

hilljack
Freshman Team

Post by hilljack »

This should be an awesome match up! I predict the winner of this game to win the conference!

Nice Kitty
Waterboy

Post by Nice Kitty »

hilljack wrote:This should be an awesome match up! I predict the winner of this game to win the conference!
My thoughts exactly!

Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

Classic battle between power football versus speed football. Generally speaking, speed usually wins. I don't know why but I am taking the grove in a shootout 42-35. Peake hasn't had to play a full game and it looks to be hot. They will feel the affects of not yet having to play the 4th quarter and they will make a crucial mistake.

Trojan 90 6&4
Riding the Bench

Post by Trojan 90 6&4 »

Game of the week I've seen both. Peak has speed but the line don't look good at all. Power beats speed this time 30-20 Grove

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Firebreather makes a good point about Chesapeake'a starters not having to play a whole game yet. It'll be interesting to see if the Panthers still have gas in the tank late in the game

ROLL PEAKE
Henry Jones, Jr.
Freshman Team

Post by Henry Jones, Jr. »

SportFan08 wrote:In 1936, two old friends, Coal Grove Hornets Coach Paul (Pat) Patterson and Chesapeake Coach Emerson (Tip) Woods made a friendly wager. The winning team would receive The Little Brown Jug and keep possession of the Jug until beaten by the other team. The Hornets won that first battle for the Jug 7-0 on November 20, 1936.

This is cool. So this will be the 80th or 81st meeting of these two schools?
Wow

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Henry Jones, Jr. wrote:
SportFan08 wrote:In 1936, two old friends, Coal Grove Hornets Coach Paul (Pat) Patterson and Chesapeake Coach Emerson (Tip) Woods made a friendly wager. The winning team would receive The Little Brown Jug and keep possession of the Jug until beaten by the other team. The Hornets won that first battle for the Jug 7-0 on November 20, 1936.

Wow
It'll be the 81st meeting and I'd love to find out the all time series.

ROLL PEAKE
SportFan08
Riding the Bench

Post by SportFan08 »

bbn77 wrote:
Henry Jones, Jr. wrote:

Wow
It'll be the 81st meeting and I'd love to find out the all time series.
Chesapeake did not play in 1942 and 1943. The teams played twice in 1944 and Coal Grove won both times.

Return to “Football”