An odd call during a game

TOESTUBBER01
Riding the Bench

An odd call during a game

Post by TOESTUBBER01 »

I just looking for some clarification to a call during a junior high game - which follow the same rules as high school so this could be called at the varsity level as well. I didn't see the signal of what the actual call was because I was sitting on the visitors side but I could hear the official plainly when he yelled to the coach what the call was. He said "the offensive player put a block/hit on a kid after the play had passed him - no need for that hit". Flagged the kid and brought a touchdown back. The was no illegal hit or illegal block, just the fact the official felt the kid shouldn't still be playing football after the play passed him - the block was probably about 10 yards behind the play - hard to tell if the kid blocking knew where the ball was exactly. It was on the backside (he was on the right side - play went left). I'm just curious what the call was and what the rule is that drew the flag. I wasn't aware of this rule or anyone around me. When we played we were told to hit someone until the whistle blew or you were running next practice.

There was another warning my son told me about, about lining up outside the numbers - can anyone share what this is? I think I have heard this called before but I don't understand it. He was split out as a wide receiver.

Thanks for any clarifications someone can shed on these.

H-back
Freshman Team

Re: An odd call during a game

Post by H-back »

It is illegal for a blindside block to be made if the person is behind the play by 10 or more yards I think is the rule

Thereddragin
Riding the Bench

Post by Thereddragin »

If an official feels the block was behind the play and unnecessary he can flag it... he will if it an unnecessary big hit. Started enforcing that rule 2 or 3 years ago.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

New this year if a player is determined by the ref to be in a position that's unable to impact the play he is treated as a defenseless player

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Correct call as is lining up outside the numbers.

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

Rolltanks wrote:New this year if a player is determined by the ref to be in a position that's unable to impact the play he is treated as a defenseless player
I've actually seen this call made twice on the youth level this season in Teen OVC. That was the same explanation we got as well.

rockcoach
Freshman Team

Post by rockcoach »

When a player is aligning as a wide out he must be inside the numbers until the ref blows the whistle marking the ball in play. This has been a rule for many years. Once the ref blows the ball in play the receivers can align anywhere outside the numbers. The new rules for protection of a player are very subjective. If any official deems a player as DEFENSELESS, any hit becomes a penalty. You see this all the time at every level of the game. The protection of what an official deems a defenseless player is a huge point of emphasis with officials that has been handed down by the OHSAA. The rules are going to become more stringent about player protection.

TOESTUBBER01
Riding the Bench

Post by TOESTUBBER01 »

Thanks everyone for the explanations. I'd say they made a good calll. Just wasn't aware of this, it makes sense to cut out cheap shots.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

rockcoach wrote:When a player is aligning as a wide out he must be inside the numbers until the ref blows the whistle marking the ball in play. This has been a rule for many years. Once the ref blows the ball in play the receivers can align anywhere outside the numbers. The new rules for protection of a player are very subjective. If any official deems a player as DEFENSELESS, any hit becomes a penalty. You see this all the time at every level of the game. The protection of what an official deems a defenseless player is a huge point of emphasis with officials that has been handed down by the OHSAA. The rules are going to become more stringent about player protection.

Actually, if a player is covered up by the defense then he does NOT have to get inside the numbers at the ready for play. You will find that in the rule book under substitutions.

Return to “Football”