Meigs 25 Logan 19

Blackjack
JV Team

Re: Week 3 (0-2) Logan @ (1-1) Meigs

Post by Blackjack »

doubleplay643 wrote:
ma77ox wrote:Not sure how much the jr. high level records or play translates into the varsity level. Our current Football at Meigs Seniors down to Freshmen probably have a total of 4 or 5 losses combined in the 8 years they played at jr. high level. I want to think that every year as 7th graders they were undefeated. I think Seniors lost 1 or 2 games in 8th Grade and Juniors lost 2 or 3 their 8th grade year (One of the main players didn't play this season because of grades the previous year...he was the QB) Don't think the Sophomore Class or Freshmen classes had a loss at the Jr. High level.

So if we are going of the way they were in Jr. High....Meigs should be unstoppable. And we haven't proven that yet this season....Too many times at the Jr. High level several kids progress and grow and become beasts before other kids and it shows, but then in high school, all the other kids catch up and it becomes more competitive. See that happen in all sports. Little john doe is the only 6' 250lbs in 7th grade, but then in high school everyone around him is that size and no more dominating.
Agree not a whole lot of correlation, my comment above was simply that I thought the one example of Middle School coaching I witnessed from Logan was pretty good.

The magic happens when you mix 2-3 classes up at the varsity level. Completely agree.
The correlation is that kids don't like to be associated with losing............ Thus numbers will go down.

Thanos
Freshman Team

Post by Thanos »

But I am confused on how the Logan jr high program is "losing". I mean you said its really bad over there, and I was just looking for actual clarification.

linden
Waterboy

Post by linden »

loganlocos wrote:
Paladin wrote: Despite the reasons this year, I still have trouble believing that Logan doesn't have players equal to or better than a bunch of Frosh & Sophs. Playing JVs as Frosh should have been a POSITIVE ( playing up in competition). But this years Frosh would have played 8th grade last year. This doesn't SMELL right .
Here's my analysis of the roster:

12 Seniors - 9 playing a significant role. 8 starters on at least 1 side of the ball.

One letterman from last year moved out of the district and two others never made it passed freshman football (one big lineman, one RB/LB). Both would be starters based on their level at 9th grade. One senior didn't play last season.

15 Juniors: 8 playing significant role. 4 starting on at least one side of the ball.

BUT - this class lost EIGHT kids from last year, including one lineman who had become a starter by the end of last year. Another five kids didn't even make it past freshman football - all 5 of those were starters on the freshman team and could have been contributors.

23 Sophomores. 7 playing a significant role. Six started week one, 4 started week two.

7 Freshmen. 3 playing a significant role. Four others playing up with JVs full time.
Maybe I am missing something?I keep seeing complaints/comments about Logan not having enough upper classmen? Roster looks pretty even.
MEIGS ======Seniors-12,Juniors-14,Sophomores-12,Freshman-17
LOGAN======Seniors-12,Juniors-15,Sophomores-23,Freshman-7[/color][/color]

Aceof3Spades
Waterboy

Post by Aceof3Spades »

Going off what I know...
Logan lost virtually everyone, I know they return that huge lineman but he can't do much without help. Meigs has good athletes for southeastern ohio and will be hard for Logan to lock down on at all angles. The strong receiving core tandem with Bartum at the helm for Meigs will be the difference.

Meigs gets the win 28-17

If Logan loses tonight, they may not win again until week 9. Good thing will be that the seniors will be able to get a victory at Warren week 10.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I see no evidence up here that players are not going out for football because of worries about head injuries. Warren Harding has dropped to D-II and has 95 kids out. Cortland Lakeview, a D-IV had 56 out with one out for the season for injury and a 6-5, 300 transfering out to Cardinal Mooney after starting practice with Lakeview, meaning he sets out this season. Most area schools seemed to have an uptick in players out. I think Warren JFK, a D-VII, had near 60 out. Logan, is in an unusual position with 3 Frosh starting or playing significant time and 7 Sophs also doing the same. Knowing the type kids at Logan I have a very hard time accepting that they don't have Jr. or Sr who are as good or better than the young ones. And looking at the roster, they have some size. It just smells funny.

Have gun, will travel
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

BTW, good luck to the Chiefs tonite.

Have gun, will travel
6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

ma77ox wrote:Not sure how much the jr. high level records or play translates into the varsity level. Our current Football at Meigs Seniors down to Freshmen probably have a total of 4 or 5 losses combined in the 8 years they played at jr. high level. I want to think that every year as 7th graders they were undefeated. I think Seniors lost 1 or 2 games in 8th Grade and Juniors lost 2 or 3 their 8th grade year (One of the main players didn't play this season because of grades the previous year...he was the QB) Don't think the Sophomore Class or Freshmen classes had a loss at the Jr. High level.

So if we are going of the way they were in Jr. High....Meigs should be unstoppable. And we haven't proven that yet this season....Too many times at the Jr. High level several kids progress and grow and become beasts before other kids and it shows, but then in high school, all the other kids catch up and it becomes more competitive. See that happen in all sports. Little john doe is the only 6' 250lbs in 7th grade, but then in high school everyone around him is that size and no more dominating.
The current Athens freshman beat Meigs both years in Jr. High. And I think NY beat them at least one of those years.Not that it means much anymore. And I believe the Meigs sophomore group had their 8th grade year canceled due to some hazing incident(s).
And I agree w Doubleplay 100%. There was a huge difference for Logan's current freshman between their 7th and 8th grade years. Much, much, much more physical!
I'll go with Meigs tonight 24-14.

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

Bird Dog wrote:
ma77ox wrote:Okay, I may be wrong, but for some reason I want to think when I was just a kid, I'm 45 now...That a Robert Ashley Sr. coached at Meigs...I know his son did as well...He might have just been on the coaching staff, not sure why I want to think he was the head coach.
Yes Mr. Ashley was head coach at Meigs for a short time which I forgot about but MeyerSpread corrected me on in another thread. I don't believe Bobby was ever the head coach there (maybe assistant) but did play for Meigs in the early 80's.
I thought the older one was, I grew up behind the old Meigs football field and he was always sitting in his car smoking a cigarette...lol (No idea why that sticks out in my memory)

People Have The Right To Their Opinion, And You Have The Right To Ignore It.
MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

Bird Dog wrote:
ma77ox wrote:Okay, I may be wrong, but for some reason I want to think when I was just a kid, I'm 45 now...That a Robert Ashley Sr. coached at Meigs...I know his son did as well...He might have just been on the coaching staff, not sure why I want to think he was the head coach.
Yes Mr. Ashley was head coach at Meigs for a short time which I forgot about but MeyerSpread corrected me on in another thread. I don't believe Bobby was ever the head coach there (maybe assistant) but did play for Meigs in the early 80's.
You are correct Bob Ashley was the head coach at Meigs for one season in the 80's and I believe lead Meigs to their only unbeaten season! I believe he was an assistant for several years.

Bobby Ashley is the current head coach at Portsmouth Notre Dame and his first coaching job was Jr high coach at Meigs Jr. High.

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

MeyerSpread wrote:
Bird Dog wrote:
You are correct Bob Ashley was the head coach at Meigs for one season in the 80's and I believe lead Meigs to their only unbeaten season! I believe he was an assistant for several years.

Bobby Ashley is the current head coach at Portsmouth Notre Dame and his first coaching job was Jr high coach at Meigs Jr. High.
He Coached in 87 and had a 9-1 record.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

ma77ox wrote:
Bird Dog wrote:
I thought the older one was, I grew up behind the old Meigs football field and he was always sitting in his car smoking a cigarette...lol (No idea why that sticks out in my memory)
I really miss the field on the river. Loved the atmosphere and everything about it.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

What on Earth was Logan doing in the last 1:10 of the game?

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

I thought Logan done a pretty good job coaching until the last 1:10 of the ball game....no idea what they were thinking.

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

Paladin wrote:I remember the 1967 game vs. Meigs as I was coaching at Logan then. We lost a CLOSE game we probably should have won. Meigs had just hired the fired Marshall Univ. coach ( Charlie something) in their first year of consolidation. They ran a Tight Slot I and ran the off tackle play to the Slot. They had a small fireplug size TB, maybe 5-5 or 5-6. We slowed it down ( with a 50 Monster to the Slot) but couldn't stop it as they got 2- 3 yds a carry. I think they ran that 40 times that night. We stopped everything but that. Had Mel Brooker at TE who went to Navy and Chuck Kemper at FB who played for O.U. We had several drives they couldn't stop that got killed with our own penalties deep in the Red Zone. That game cost the Chiefs the SEOAL Championship. Great game but one the Chiefs let get away.

Despite the reasons this year, I still have trouble believing that Logan doesn't have players equal to or better than a bunch of Frosh & Sophs. Playing JVs as Frosh should have been a POSITIVE ( playing up in competition). But this years Frosh would have played 8th grade last year. This doesn't SMELL right .
Found out tonight from a buddy on that 67 team that the fireplug size TB was Lenny VanMeter, he was actually at the game tonight.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

ma77ox wrote:I thought Logan done a pretty good job coaching until the last 1:10 of the ball game....no idea what they were thinking.
Apparently gifting timeouts as early Christmas presents. They were playing panicked.

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

We called one when Logan had the ball on 3rd and 37 at around the 40 yard line with 23 seconds left and I was wondering why the heck we called one, they had none left, we basically gave them 2 plays to score instead of the time running out before the half. And on the 4th down they false started with 2.5 seconds left...I would think there would have been a runoff of the clock, because the false start stopped the clock and gave them a free down....They didn't even start the clock when the ball was placed.

MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

Cody Bartrum came up BIG on the last goal line stand! What a finish and what a player!

Stone Cold
JV Team

Post by Stone Cold »

Wow, sounded like a good one in Pomeroy!!

And that's the bottom line, b/c Stone Cold said so....
MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

3rd and goal at the 1 and didn't score! ROCK SOLID D!

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: Meigs 25 Logan 19

Post by Poo Bear »

Good win for Meigs . Anytime you can beat Logan it's a good win. However This Logan Team is super young and having some growing pains . Meigs has one of their best teams in a while . Still deciding what to take from this game.

Return to “Football”