Meigs 25 Logan 19

thebarlowbandit
All State

Re: Week 3 (0-2) Logan @ (1-1) Meigs

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Well, hope the Chiefs get going, even though it's been a rough start you seem to have the young kids who will get better, you see the light at the end of the tunnel. At Warren our light is set for dim for many years.

I will applaud you for still playing JV and freshmen games against the teams you've scheduled too.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Ground Buck wrote:
noreply66 wrote:Quick to put his two cents in and first to go broke.
Have to admit that's a pretty good one. :lol:

But not this year fellas. These seniors have a mission and if the game plan changes like we've heard it will this team will be on a roll in a few weeks and the cannon will be deafening. :mrgreen:
No cannons in Chieftain stadium. :lol: :lol: You will get a disturbing the peace charge here in Logan. :lol: :lol:

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

TRENCHFOOT wrote:
Ground Buck wrote:
noreply66 wrote:Quick to put his two cents in and first to go broke.

But not this year fellas. These seniors have a mission and if the game plan changes like we've heard it will this team will be on a roll in a few weeks and the cannon will be deafening. :mrgreen:
No cannons in Chieftain stadium. :lol: :lol: You will get a disturbing the peace charge here in Logan. :lol: :lol:
Yep the good ole Logan PO PO would have none of that,probably include an extra charge of inducing panic :lol:

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

cbolt wrote:
TRENCHFOOT wrote:
Ground Buck wrote:

Yep the good ole Logan PO PO would have none of that,probably include an extra charge of inducing panic :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The PO PO is strict around here, aren't they Bolt? :lol: :lol: :lol: Heard a Zanesville fan say one night, he would never be back. :lol: :lol: Bike patrol got on his nerves he said. :lol: :lol:

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

loganlocos wrote:
Paladin wrote: Despite the reasons this year, I still have trouble believing that Logan doesn't have players equal to or better than a bunch of Frosh & Sophs. Playing JVs as Frosh should have been a POSITIVE ( playing up in competition). But this years Frosh would have played 8th grade last year. This doesn't SMELL right .
Here's my analysis of the roster:

12 Seniors - 9 playing a significant role. 8 starters on at least 1 side of the ball.

One letterman from last year moved out of the district and two others never made it passed freshman football (one big lineman, one RB/LB). Both would be starters based on their level at 9th grade. One senior didn't play last season.

15 Juniors: 8 playing significant role. 4 starting on at least one side of the ball.

BUT - this class lost EIGHT kids from last year, including one lineman who had become a starter by the end of last year. Another five kids didn't even make it past freshman football - all 5 of those were starters on the freshman team and could have been contributors.

23 Sophomores. 7 playing a significant role. Six started week one, 4 started week two.

7 Freshmen. 3 playing a significant role. Four others playing up with JVs full time.

Any of these reasons for not playing related do you think to the growing concern among parents/kids about head injuries?

Read an interesting article on one of the ESPN online links that nationwide there has been a considerable drop not only in the "peewee" grouping (4th-6th) and middle school ages but also at the varsity level as more information (negative information) gets put into the public forum so to speak.

Or is the reason to play just other extracurricular selections?

Bighitsinc
Varsity

Post by Bighitsinc »

I'm waiting on week 8.
Gonna get some popcorn and watch this one.

hardfowl
All State

Post by hardfowl »

One of the best high school coaches for about 25 years deserves more than "Charlie something."

Meigs first coach was Charlie Chancey.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

GOOD LUCK LOGAN! GO CHIEFS!!!

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

OMG Logan improves to 0-3, But they will score tonight!

Meigs 21

Logan 13

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Abe - don't believe that is the issue. Look at the successful programs in your area. Their numbers are up and all is good. Kids today don't want to play anything that is associated with losing. I would question how Logan's entire football program is doing from the Jr High to the Varsity level. You have to have qualified coaches at all levels in order to sustain program success and popularity at any sport today.

MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

hardfowl wrote:One of the best high school coaches for about 25 years deserves more than "Charlie something."

AND he wasn't fired at Marshal! He was a graduate asst coach at Marshall and then coached at Pomeroy high school as head coach, then went back to Marshall as off cord. He then jumped at the chance to be the first head coach after consolidation of Pomeroy, Middleport and Rutland. He had two small children at the time and the the time commitment of being a college coach made the choice easy along with being from Ripley,WV (30 miles from Meigs) which allowed him and his family to be closer to his family with the two children (who both ended up being coaches).

Thanos
Freshman Team

Post by Thanos »

Blackjack wrote:Abe - don't believe that is the issue. Look at the successful programs in your area. Their numbers are up and all is good. Kids today don't want to play anything that is associated with losing. I would question how Logan's entire football program is doing from the Jr High to the Varsity level. You have to have qualified coaches at all levels in order to sustain program success and popularity at any sport today.
Jr high level right now
8th grade 1 -0
7th grade 1-1
Each year the JR high kids have improved their win lost record, and have grown in numbers the past four years. All of the JR high coaches have played in the logan program, and have several years of experience. Why would you question the JR high program when each year they get more and more kids to come out for football? An idea would be to head out to Logan hocking middle school tomorrow morning and watch with your own eyes if the JR high coaches are "qualified".

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

Okay, I may be wrong, but for some reason I want to think when I was just a kid, I'm 45 now...That a Robert Ashley Sr. coached at Meigs...I know his son did as well...He might have just been on the coaching staff, not sure why I want to think he was the head coach.

People Have The Right To Their Opinion, And You Have The Right To Ignore It.
Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Thanos wrote:
Blackjack wrote:Abe - don't believe that is the issue. Look at the successful programs in your area. Their numbers are up and all is good. Kids today don't want to play anything that is associated with losing. I would question how Logan's entire football program is doing from the Jr High to the Varsity level. You have to have qualified coaches at all levels in order to sustain program success and popularity at any sport today.
Jr high level right now
8th grade 1 -0
7th grade 1-1
Each year the JR high kids have improved their win lost record, and have grown in numbers the past four years. All of the JR high coaches have played in the logan program, and have several years of experience. Why would you question the JR high program when each year they get more and more kids to come out for football? An idea would be to head out to Logan hocking middle school tomorrow morning and watch with your own eyes if the JR high coaches are "qualified".
Because over the last 5 years it has been really bad.

Thanos
Freshman Team

Post by Thanos »

In which way?

How have they been really bad? From the games I have watched I would disagree. I have seen team after team the past "5 years" improve from 7th grade to 8th grade. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the worse that they have had in the past five years has been .500 ball. "Really bad" to me would be 1 or 2 win seasons consistently. Just looking for some stats to solidify your claim that its "been really bad".

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Thanos wrote: Each year the JR high kids have improved their win lost record, and have grown in numbers the past four years. All of the JR high coaches have played in the logan program, and have several years of experience. Why would you question the JR high program when each year they get more and more kids to come out for football? An idea would be to head out to Logan hocking middle school tomorrow morning and watch with your own eyes if the JR high coaches are "qualified".
This is off subject for the thread so for that I apologize.

But I will say I witnessed the 8th grade coach and program last year at Jackson (last year I had an 8th grader and senior in the JHS program). The middle school bleachers at Jackson are only on one side and the visiting team sidelines is on the bleacher side. I am not sure of the coach's name but he was high energy and had really done a good job with the Logan 8th grade group. They were much more physical than they were in 7th grade and everything from their warm-ups to how they played was crisp and sharp. Kudos to whoever that was he had them ready to play and that game was down to the wire. As I recall they had some chant or saying as well, and the kids really responded to him.

So that I can technically stay on topic I will say Meigs is favored in this one I think, but it is Week 3 after all and I think Logan will have figured some things out and this may be more competitive than some people think.

ma77ox
Varsity

Post by ma77ox »

Not sure how much the jr. high level records or play translates into the varsity level. Our current Football at Meigs Seniors down to Freshmen probably have a total of 4 or 5 losses combined in the 8 years they played at jr. high level. I want to think that every year as 7th graders they were undefeated. I think Seniors lost 1 or 2 games in 8th Grade and Juniors lost 2 or 3 their 8th grade year (One of the main players didn't play this season because of grades the previous year...he was the QB) Don't think the Sophomore Class or Freshmen classes had a loss at the Jr. High level.

So if we are going of the way they were in Jr. High....Meigs should be unstoppable. And we haven't proven that yet this season....Too many times at the Jr. High level several kids progress and grow and become beasts before other kids and it shows, but then in high school, all the other kids catch up and it becomes more competitive. See that happen in all sports. Little john doe is the only 6' 250lbs in 7th grade, but then in high school everyone around him is that size and no more dominating.

People Have The Right To Their Opinion, And You Have The Right To Ignore It.
Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

ma77ox wrote:Okay, I may be wrong, but for some reason I want to think when I was just a kid, I'm 45 now...That a Robert Ashley Sr. coached at Meigs...I know his son did as well...He might have just been on the coaching staff, not sure why I want to think he was the head coach.
Yes Mr. Ashley was head coach at Meigs for a short time which I forgot about but MeyerSpread corrected me on in another thread. I don't believe Bobby was ever the head coach there (maybe assistant) but did play for Meigs in the early 80's.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

hardfowl wrote:One of the best high school coaches for about 25 years deserves more than "Charlie something."

Also that 67 team had Meigs only SEOAL MVP, SEOAL coach of the year and SEOAL championship.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

ma77ox wrote:Not sure how much the jr. high level records or play translates into the varsity level. Our current Football at Meigs Seniors down to Freshmen probably have a total of 4 or 5 losses combined in the 8 years they played at jr. high level. I want to think that every year as 7th graders they were undefeated. I think Seniors lost 1 or 2 games in 8th Grade and Juniors lost 2 or 3 their 8th grade year (One of the main players didn't play this season because of grades the previous year...he was the QB) Don't think the Sophomore Class or Freshmen classes had a loss at the Jr. High level.

So if we are going of the way they were in Jr. High....Meigs should be unstoppable. And we haven't proven that yet this season....Too many times at the Jr. High level several kids progress and grow and become beasts before other kids and it shows, but then in high school, all the other kids catch up and it becomes more competitive. See that happen in all sports. Little john doe is the only 6' 250lbs in 7th grade, but then in high school everyone around him is that size and no more dominating.
Agree not a whole lot of correlation, my comment above was simply that I thought the one example of Middle School coaching I witnessed from Logan was pretty good.

The magic happens when you mix 2-3 classes up at the varsity level. Completely agree.

Return to “Football”