Wheelersburg Pirates 2016 Season

85yards
Riding the Bench

Re: Wheelersburg Pirates 2016 Season

Post by 85yards »

Columbus Bishop Watterson is a great program. CBW 2010 D III State Champs, and they were beat by Jackson in the Regional Semi 14-0, so solid program to have on schedule. .

That's heading in the right direction.

As far as the Non Conf schedule:

I doubt Ironton could even go 2-3 in the SOCII this year.
Fairland usually this was a game to regroup but they need to go.
Portsmouth will be lucky if they don't go 0-10 this year.
Jackson may be the only test we have again this year.
Cincy North College Hill hopefully will be improved and I like we're getting out of this area for this game.

I just went 85 yards straight thru the heart of the south- Ezekiel Elliott 1/1/15
8332 Granite St
JV Team

Post by 8332 Granite St »

Has anyone gone to a Wheelersburg practice or going to be and if so how do we look? All this talk of a superman Ironton team and how good they look I was just wondering. Also on a side note after we lost to Coldwater we Burg fans want harder teams to play so if Ironton is as good as being said that's fantastic! we need a challenge. I sure hope they do bring a roar and with that being said they better have a passing game cause if they think they can run the ball all evening and win that's foolish even if you have 5 supermans in the backfield this ain't 1989 and Bob Lutz retired.... the game at this level has evolved. Can't make it to practices but I'll be down to watch the scrimage against Chillicothe tho.

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

I wouldn't worry too much about the ironton hype, it is coming from the same guy that says that crap every year and by all accounts he is a blow hard. We do need tougher opponents to get ready for the playoffs as the speed changes at that level and it can be a shock if you aren't used to seeing better teams.

8332 Granite St
JV Team

Buramgerdin wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about the ironton hype, it is coming from the same guy that says that crap every year and by all accounts he is a blow hard. We do need tougher opponents to get ready for the playoffs as the speed changes at that level and it can be a shock if you aren't used to seeing better teams.

agree 100%

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

8332 Granite St wrote:
Buramgerdin wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about the ironton hype, it is coming from the same guy that says that crap every year and by all accounts he is a blow hard. We do need tougher opponents to get ready for the playoffs as the speed changes at that level and it can be a shock if you aren't used to seeing better teams.

agree 100%
About the Blow Hard or the competition or both hahahah? :lol:

kodeman419
Waterboy

Coldwater 2016

Post by kodeman419 »

I plan on going to cold-water scrimmage next Tuesday and will let you guys know what I see. Obviously they have alot to replace but that's typical. They will play wapak who I believe was a D3 playoff team last year. If I took a poll on who would win the MAC this year, I would think Marion local would get the nod. CW 2nd and Ft. Recovery 3rd. Despite CW winning 4 straight state titles they only have 2 MAC titles in those 4 years. Here's hoping we see a cavs/pirate match up in the post season!

Side note.. I did hear their was some type of competition of some sorts, maybe a camp... Idk... at st. Henry and cold-water's Qb' s took 1st and 2nd. Not sure if the Ft. Recovery Qb was there as he is regarded as the best returning Qb in the MAC so I doubt he was there.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Buramgerdin wrote:
8332 Granite St wrote:

agree 100%
That's right guys, don't worry about Ironton. Ironton has always been a cakewalk for Burg :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

IBTT wrote:
Buramgerdin wrote:
8332 Granite St wrote:

agree 100%
That's right guys, don't worry about Ironton. Ironton has always been a cakewalk for Burg :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
As of late they have. We aren't going to get into a history lesson with ya bub.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

P(irate) wrote:
IBTT wrote:
Buramgerdin wrote:
Yeah, like last year's opener where Ironton didn't capitalize on three scoring opportunities inside the 20 yard line, eventually losing by one score. Cup Cake special right there BUB!! :roll:

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

IBTT wrote:
P(irate) wrote:
IBTT wrote:
Yeah, like last year's opener where Ironton didn't capitalize on three scoring opportunities inside the 20 yard line, eventually losing by one score. Cup Cake special right there BUB!! :roll:

Heck, THREE whole times, well geez IBTT they should have given the "W" to Ironton.

Isn't there a rule in OHSAA about if you get inside the 20 more than twice you win if it is only a one score game when the clock turns zero?

Protest that, it may have made a difference, oh...............wait, no it wouldn't you lost by 30 with a running clock in the playoffs to us....so it wouldn't have mattered.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

IBTT wrote:
P(irate) wrote:
IBTT wrote:
Y'all have crow in Florida?

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

P(irate) wrote:
IBTT wrote:
P(irate) wrote: As of late they have. We aren't going to get into a history lesson with ya bub.
But ITBB was correct, our kids looked "terrified" of their defense. Remember that crap? How scared our kids would be? Yeah, they were just horrified of that vaunted defense. Of course this years ironton defense is so much tougher than last years according to the blow hard. :lol:

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Buramgerdin wrote:
P(irate) wrote:
IBTT wrote:
But ITBB was correct, our kids looked "terrified" of their defense. Remember that crap? How scared our kids would be? Yeah, they were just horrified of that vaunted defense. Of course this years ironton defense is so much tougher than last years according to the blow hard. :lol:
:lol: He is hanging his hat on the 3 possessions inside the 20. That was only 3 possessions. Out of how many? Come on. Each drive ate a ton of time off the clock. By the time they got down there, the conditioning showed itself once again. But I think it was Burgs vaunted defense that staggered the Mighty Fighting Tigers of Ironton.

kodeman419
Waterboy

Post by kodeman419 »

Im not sure anyone cares to hear but thought I would share my thoughts after watching coldwater's first scrimmage yesterday morning. Coldwater played wapak who is a large d3 school. Wapak has won the WBL the last 2 years and lost in the Regional finals of the playoffs last year to Trotwood Madison. The WBL is made up of mostly D3 schools with a few D4 teams as well. Prolly the one you may have heard of was Kenton with the Ben and Maty Mauk?

So Wapak is a good program. Has some decent size and a number of kids on the roster. The scrimmage was more of a practice largely for the first hour and a half with the teams working on the run game on one end of the field while the other half was 7-7 skelly. Throw in some line pass block/rushing groups and you get the gist. At the end, the teams played a few series of drives. Both teams were rotating players liberally in/out so it was hard to gauge overall capability of each team.
Having said that, Here was some observations. CW returns only 3 starters total. However, they are a program that seems to just reload year after year. This was only one scrimmage so keep that in mind. CW OL seemed tall and athletic in particular on one half the line. They seemed to work well together against a formidable defense and largely protected the QB. The running game was ok at best. It wasnt something CW seemed to establish with any consistency. They didnt appear to have that bruiser RB like #4 schonher last year or #18 Post (who played sparingly against the Pirates). At first glance, it appears that CW will have to use the QB mores so in the running game than they did last year. They did have a slot guy they put in the backfield for a couple runs and was effective, more on him in a moment. Overall, the run game will need to be a lil different for the Cavs this year to be effective and they will need to find a bruiser back for those tough yards. They used 2 QB"S in the run game with both having some sucess, moreso the junior.

In the pass game, several things stood out to me. #1 is that #1 is no longer there. He was the ultimate goto guy last year and by watching yesterday, noone jumped out and said HE was heir replacement. CW seems to have taken their 6'5" athletic TE and has kicked him out along with #16 Muhlenkamp, one of the few returning starters. The new guy did have a couple long scores early in the practice session but in my estimation, the wr are mostly possesion type WR with the exception of this new Slot I eluded too earlier running the ball. Small, great hands and can really accelerate with the ball. He IMO was the only explosive player on either team yesterday. Can a slot guy be that go to guy? I dont think so but he appears to have the capability to do some damage.

Both QB's played well. #17 seemed very poised and reminded me very much of last years QB #10. accuracy was impressive. Didnt have great success with the long ball like the other QB did. However, #8 seemed to be less accurate, less poised but a better runner and made the more impressive explosive plays downfield throwing. Overall, Their offense appeared to lack the big play capability of last years team but that was against a good quality opponenet and its early. However, What I was impressed with was their possesion oriented pass game. They didnt hit many big plays but they consistently moved the ball throwing. Was really impressed in that regard with how early in the season it is.

Im not gonna break down defense as much right now, maybe later. Ill just mention a few things. Once again, small and fast. They played against a power running team in wapak and for the most part, had success. Where they struggled at was on setting the edge at times and let too many guys get behind them in the pass game. My general thoughts coming out of this practice/scrimmage was that this team will need the year to develop offensively and will need to rely on their defense until then. This is a quality program that will develop and utilize the players correctly but it may take some time before that happens. Unfortunately for them, their season doesnt allow them to grow much before being tested with delphos jefferons, marion local and ft. recovery in the first month of the season. I doubt CW will win the MAC but thats not necessary to win state. However, at this time, I wouldnt pencil them in the states championship game just yet. They have some developing to do. They have some talent, they have good coaching and it can be done but it will take some work. Looking forward to season and hoping for another run.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Thanks for the write up. Cold water is well coached, so they are fine there. They may be in a situation of unknowns right now.

kodeman419
Waterboy

Post by kodeman419 »

wobycat wrote:Thanks for the write up. Cold water is well coached, so they are fine there. They may be in a situation of unknowns right now.

you're welcome and I agree. The two teams are quality programs and Im sure learned quite abit about themselves with the practice format and taking film. They substituted liberally. This wasnt about trying to win today and both programs will be better because of it. COldwater scrimmages Greenville Friday I believe. Greenville is typically a weak program despite being a big school...either a 2 or 3. After that, Coldwater plays Defiance Tinora which is a solid program losing out to MArion Local last year in the state semi finals. I would say Coldwater is using the preseaon well playing two quality opponents to test themselves prior to the start of the season. I have Coldwater losing to Marion Local in week 3. Coldwater reminds me alot of Marion Local last year when ML was trying to find themselves. They struggled out of the gate, fought some injuries and had 2 QB's where neither established himself as the guy.

Waiting for a write up on the Pirates! (objective one please) :)

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

We have only had an intersquad practice/scrimmage. We will know more after our scrimmage with Chillicothe (D3) this weekend.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Does anyone know what time and where the Burg-Chilli scrimmage is on Saturday?

8332 Granite St
JV Team

At Burg at 10am. The Cavs have a small roster for a D-3 school and lost all or most of their starters from last year. very young team. I hope they can bring a challenge though and test our Pirates.

8332 Granite St
JV Team

Chillicothe has about 60 players and that includes the freshman young men as well. Go Burg!

Return to “Football”