Wheelersburg 49 Ironton 6

Abe Froman
S

Re: WEEK 1 IRONTON @WHEELERSBURG -- YOUR THOUGHTS.

Post by Abe Froman »

IBTT wrote:Paladino played tennis last season and is going to college this year on a full ride $50,000 a year scholarship in football. Many kids play numerous sports in the same year. Burg has always had the backups and as I mentioned, last year Ironton played them within one touchdown in the first game of the year without having the option to rest any players. This year many of Ironton's kids will only be playing one way. This will help out for the second half, as many have noticed in the past 6/7 years where Ironton has been dragging late in the game.
Boys tennis is a spring sport and football is a fall sport, what is your point here?

I think everyone agrees he was a good player. What does tennis lol have anything to do with it.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Post his name and time. If he's being recruited by South Carolina, then they'll have videos or something like that. I am not disputing that there's a talented kid coming home to play. However, he's not running a 4.4, 6'2" and 220lbs. Someone's vision down by the river has became blurry. Post his high school highlights.

8332 Granite St
JV Team

Post by 8332 Granite St »

if we can get his full name he should have a hudl page.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

8332 Granite St wrote:if we can get his full name he should have a hudl page.
Andrew Scott maybe?

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

I know HUDL is all digital media and what not, but we may not be able to tell much. With the speed these Ironton posters are saying it may be just a blur on the screen trying to watch it.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I don't understand the logic on this board. There were three paragraphs of useless info on one reason the Tigers will beat the burg. The only reason you can say is that they are better than them at every position. It's the 2016 tigers not the teams in the past. Palladino was a really good back. Extremely quick and strong. Sounds like this kid is like that only faster, however I do not think last years tiger team was as good as what some say, even at full strength. The team led by cox was better IMO. The Tigers need to learn how to stop the Pirates or they will find an opening loss.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

As an Ironton fan, let me just say this: Wheelersburg is today one of the elite football programs in southeastern Ohio. The Pirates play the sport at a higher level than Ironton currently. Ironton is a good program, having won 63% of its games over the last decade, and earning a playoff berth in 8 of those 10 years, with an 8-8 postseason record. But the Fighting Tigers are not now on Wheelersburg's level.

It is encouraging to hear good things about this year's Ironton team! Fans get excited, and it is fun to get on this board and talk about our local schools with great optimism and hope. I'm cheering for the Tigers to do well and upset the mighty Wheelersburg program. But one has to agree with Abe that an elite program does not have its kids leave football for several years, then coax them back out as seniors. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to hear that those kids are back out competing again for Ironton. It should be a great and fun learning experience for them. But elite programs keep the vast majority of those kids in their systems and steadily develop them over many years. It takes time and a lot of hard work. We should know - that's the way it was done for years in Ironton.

I do think some of the comments on here about the young man who has returned to Ironton from Georgia this season are being extremely unfair to him, and create unrealistic expectations that will be difficult for him to live up to. Andrew Scott is a good athlete who could make an excellent contribution to this year's team. But here are the facts that anyone can look up on the internet. He played last season for East Jackson High School, a school of 960 students located about 70 miles from Atlanta. He was the team's leading rusher, and also played cornerback. As of October 23, 2015, the Athens Banner-Herald published area football statistics showing that East Jackson's Andrew Scott was the tenth leading tackler in the area with 54 tackles. However, he was not listed among the top ten rushers of the area, whose yardage totals ranged from 485 to 1,513 yards. This was through 9 of East Jackson's 10 game season. In fairness to Andrew, East Jackson was not a very good team, winning 1 and losing 9, while being outscored 441-83. But his efforts earned him recognition on the All Region 8-AAA team as a cornerback (Georgia high schools go all the way up to AAAAAA in size). Andrew was also named Honorable Mention All-Area in football by the Athens Banner Herald. He also played basketball at East Jackson, where he was listed as a 6-2 forward. His basketball team competed in the prestigious Beach Ball Tournament in Myrtle Beach, including a game against Ohio power Lakewood St. Edwards. His basketball team fared much better with a 17-12 record, good enough to make the Sweet Sixteen in Georgia AAA. Andrew also ran track. His PR's were 11.57 in the 100m, 21'8" in the long jump, and 5'8" in the high jump. Those show very good overall athleticism, but an 11.57 100m is probably not indicative of a 4.4 40y, at least not last spring for Andrew. Perhaps he has improved over the summer.

So there are some facts, and hopefully, some perspective. I wish the Tigers the best in 2016, and hope that Andrew Scott enjoys his time on the Ohio high school gridiron this fall in the orange and black. It sounds like he will have some great teammates, and hopefully together, they can achieve another OVC crown and a 9th postseason appearance in the last 11 years for Ironton.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Now that's some info. Looks like the kid is a terrific athlete. 11.5 is not slow at all. Sounds like he's better on defense. That's probably going to be helpful against a spread team like the burg.

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

Pembrook - are you saying ITBB is full of it again? Who would have guessed? Thanks for the informative post.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Oak wrote:
Abe Froman wrote:;) But he ran the 4.4 twice, and it looked like he was just jogging it out.
Lol. Wonder how fast he would be if he tried?

We heard this same stuff last year and that was the worst Ironton team I have ever seen. If they didn't play in the OVC they would've been fortunate to win 3 games.
I just hope he don't cramp up. :mrgreen:

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

pembrook burrows III wrote:As an Ironton fan, let me just say this: Wheelersburg is today one of the elite football programs in southeastern Ohio. The Pirates play the sport at a higher level than Ironton currently. Ironton is a good program, having won 63% of its games over the last decade, and earning a playoff berth in 8 of those 10 years, with an 8-8 postseason record. But the Fighting Tigers are not now on Wheelersburg's level.

It is encouraging to hear good things about this year's Ironton team! Fans get excited, and it is fun to get on this board and talk about our local schools with great optimism and hope. I'm cheering for the Tigers to do well and upset the mighty Wheelersburg program. But one has to agree with Abe that an elite program does not have its kids leave football for several years, then coax them back out as seniors. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to hear that those kids are back out competing again for Ironton. It should be a great and fun learning experience for them. But elite programs keep the vast majority of those kids in their systems and steadily develop them over many years. It takes time and a lot of hard work. We should know - that's the way it was done for years in Ironton.

I do think some of the comments on here about the young man who has returned to Ironton from Georgia this season are being extremely unfair to him, and create unrealistic expectations that will be difficult for him to live up to. Andrew Scott is a good athlete who could make an excellent contribution to this year's team. But here are the facts that anyone can look up on the internet. He played last season for East Jackson High School, a school of 960 students located about 70 miles from Atlanta. He was the team's leading rusher, and also played cornerback. As of October 23, 2015, the Athens Banner-Herald published area football statistics showing that East Jackson's Andrew Scott was the tenth leading tackler in the area with 54 tackles. However, he was not listed among the top ten rushers of the area, whose yardage totals ranged from 485 to 1,513 yards. This was through 9 of East Jackson's 10 game season. In fairness to Andrew, East Jackson was not a very good team, winning 1 and losing 9, while being outscored 441-83. But his efforts earned him recognition on the All Region 8-AAA team as a cornerback (Georgia high schools go all the way up to AAAAAA in size). Andrew was also named Honorable Mention All-Area in football by the Athens Banner Herald. He also played basketball at East Jackson, where he was listed as a 6-2 forward. His basketball team competed in the prestigious Beach Ball Tournament in Myrtle Beach, including a game against Ohio power Lakewood St. Edwards. His basketball team fared much better with a 17-12 record, good enough to make the Sweet Sixteen in Georgia AAA. Andrew also ran track. His PR's were 11.57 in the 100m, 21'8" in the long jump, and 5'8" in the high jump. Those show very good overall athleticism, but an 11.57 100m is probably not indicative of a 4.4 40y, at least not last spring for Andrew. Perhaps he has improved over the summer.

So there are some facts, and hopefully, some perspective. I wish the Tigers the best in 2016, and hope that Andrew Scott enjoys his time on the Ohio high school gridiron this fall in the orange and black. It sounds like he will have some great teammates, and hopefully together, they can achieve another OVC crown and a 9th postseason appearance in the last 11 years for Ironton.
Thank you for that info, sounds like a very good athlete

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

very interesting.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

sounds like classic ironton football. trying to beat teams before they play by developing "mystique". the mystique is over

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
cg-ironton fan
Freshman Team

Post by cg-ironton fan »

you can have best "back" in USA but if your play calling is ''predictable" you will be doomed!! when these tigers figure out 60/40 run to pass ratio is way to go they will be able to play with some of these better schools.

burg is so unpredictable its 1 of there best strengths!!!
52-6 or 52-14 burg lol

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Ironton was predictible for 40 years. They had the horses then. Now they don't.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

noreply66 wrote:100M-12.75

11.10.....F. Gilbert.....Waverly
11.20.....Pitzer.....McClain
11.20.....Farley.....Jackson
11.30.....Holzschu.....Athens
11.30.....Ivey.....Unioto
11.33.....Ison.....Whiteoak
11.37.....Hatfield.....Ripley
11.54.....Harris.....Zane Trace
11.59.....Moffett.....River Valley
11.60.....Mount.....Nelson/York
11.68.....Zimmerman.....Westfall
11.68.....Edwards.....Nelson/York
11.70.....Halley.....Logan
11.70.....Mills.....Warren
11.75.....D. O'Bryon.....Clinton Massie
11.77.....Foreman.....Warren
11.80.....Angelo.....Warren
11.80.....Carter.....Lynchburg
11.82.....Blanks.....Southern
11.84.....Lummar.....Waverly
11.93.....Blatt.....Fairland
11.95.....Lester.....Gallipolis
11.98.....Darenell.....Green
12.00.....Rosado.....Logan
12.01.....McSweeney.....Minford
12.07.....Pillow.....Zane Trace
12.10.....Breining....Logan
12.20.....Jones.....Unioto
12.20.....Shuman.....Warren
12.21.....Compton.....Minford
12.24.....Sharp.....Huntington
12.26.....Bartrum.....Chesapeake
12.33.....Osburn.....East Clinton
12.33.....Hayton.....Hillsboro
12.36.....Dickerson.....Federal Hocking

High Jump-5' 00"

6' 07".....Trawick.....Piketon
6' 04".....Rigsby.....Waverly
6' 03".....Ashton.....Fairland
6' 03".....Criesenberry.....Gallipolis
6' 02".....Demler.....Clinton Massie
6' 02".....Marquez.....Waverly
6' 00".....Ivey.....Unioto
6' 00".....Hayton.....Hillsboro
5' 10".....Keeney.....South Point
5' 10".....Carter.....Lynchburg
5' 10".....Slack.....Trimble
5' 10".....Mattson.....Athens
5' 08".....Bakenhaster.....Adena
5' 08".....Anbrose.....East Clinton
5' 08".....Hatfield.....Ripley
5' 06".....Stulley.....Waverly
5' 06".....Beach.....River Valley
5' 04".....Wilson.....Dawson-Bryant
5' 04".....Rogers.....Zane Trace
5' 04".....Slater.....Westfall
5' 04".....Martin.....Northwest
5' 02".....Lester.....Gallipolis
5' 02".....Sharp.....Huntington
5' 02".....Paul.....Fairfield
5' 00".....Naegele.....Fairland
5' 00".....Barthelmes.....Zane Trace
5' 00".....Zimmerman.....Westfall
5' 00".....Provens.....River Valley

Long Jump-17' 00"

20' 10.25".....Carter.....Lynchburg
20' 10.00".....Mattson.....Athens
20' 07.00".....Pitzer.....McClain
20' 02.00".....LeForge.....Clinton Massie
20' 01.00".....F. Gilbert.....Waverly
19' 11.50".....Jones.....Unioto
19' 09.25".....Kennedy.....Meigs
19' 01.00".....Slack.....Trimble
18' 11.75".....Sharp.....Huntington
18' 10.75".....Moran.....Ripley
18' 10.50".....Breining.....Logan
18' 09.50".....Keeney.....South Point
18' 09.00".....Edwards.....Nelson/York
18' 09.00".....T. Gilbert.....Waverly
18' 07.50".....Lummer.....Waverly
18' 06.50".....Hawk.....Federal Hocking
18' 03.50".....Blatt.....Fairland
18' 02.50".....McSweeney.....Minford
18' 01.00".....Bartoe.....Vinton Cty
17' 11.25".....Nunn.....Gallipolis
17' 08.00".....Harris.....Zane Trace
17' 08.00".....Beach.....River Valley
17' 06.00".....Olley.....Miami Trace
17' 05.50".....Malone.....Rock Hill
17' 05.50".....Hatfield.....Ripley
17' 04.00".....Hayton.....Hillsboro
17.00.00".....Wilson.....Dawson-Bryant
17' 00.00".....Knipp.....Rock Hill
Solid post by Pembrook.

The above is an abbreviated track and field list for top SEO 2017 Senior Boys complements of noreply66 who does a great job tracking results in all of SEO.

Per Pembrook we are looking at a 11.57 100M, 5'-8" high jump and 21'-8" long jump.

An 11.57 in the 100M is close to the top in our area. The 5'8 high jump near the middle in our area. A 21'-8" long jump is the top in our neck of the woods though.

Bottom line is the kid is a good athlete and will definitely help. Lol I am still calling shenanigans on the 4.4 though just to be clear lol.

Question remains is he a track kid playing football or a football kid running track. If it is the latter then Burg will need to defend that threat. Sounds like he is a little different back than Paladino who I though given his low center of gravity was a handful.

Setting up to be a great game.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

#3 Reason Ironton will defeat the Burg

The third reason Ironton will defeat the Burg this season is Ironton has a great Team Chemistry.

Ironton over the past 6/7 years has been missing something that Ironton teams of the past always had. Ironton kids throughout the years started out as young kids looking forward to being that kid on the field at Tanks Stadium who helped Bob Lutz to win another State Championship. I can't say what got lost, whether it was numbers, changes in coaching (Coach Lutz lost most of his long time coaching staff about 10 years ago now) or what, but during that spell there hasn't been a great chemistry with the kids working together as a team.

I have watched Ironton football now for over forty years. I have seen the good years and I have seen the bad. I have played during the good years and know what it takes to have a winning football team. I also know what has happened in the years that were not so good. In most of the years, the talent has always been there. Maybe not as high as in some years, but during all of the bad years talent hasn't always been the factor. Most of the times it was team chemistry.

When a team works well together, they seem to get more focused and work harder. When there is team chemistry, usually there isn't the disciple problems, as the team mates usually take care of this on their own and the coaches can focus mostly on the job of coaching. This years Ironton team seems to have their acts together. This is a very intelligent group of kids, hard working and focused. This group is way ahead of where they were last season at this point. This year's team is also faster, stronger and nastier than last years team. until tomorrow... :D

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I HOPE YOU'RE SPOT ON IBTT.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:I HOPE YOU'RE SPOT ON IBTT.
History has shown he is always dead on :lol:

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

JTEK wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:I HOPE YOU'RE SPOT ON IBTT.
History has shown he is always dead on :lol:
If you would look at last season, Ironton just about had that game in the bag a couple of times and handed it over to the burg. Yes the Burg came out with a one touchdown win, however, Ironton was in this game all the way to the last click of the clock. I was very close to being one of the few people on here that was Dead On. After that game, Ironton lost numerous kids, top starters, for the season. The playoff game wasn't Irontons best shot. With the low numbers last season, replacing the starters in such high numbers was impossible and it showed. The Burg played well though. They are always very well coached and do get better every year from start to finish.

Return to “Football”