Wheelersburg 49 Ironton 6

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: WEEK 1 IRONTON @WHEELERSBURG -- YOUR THOUGHTS.

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

during this time frame alone from 82-07. ironton played in an astonishing 54 playoff games by my count.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

during this time frame ironton played for a state title a staggering 6 times between 82-07. and won their 2nd state title in 89.

ironton and wheelersburg both won state titles in 89.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

during this same time frame from 82-07, ironton won 10 regional finals games and won their region. there are 4 regions in each division.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

What is everyone's guess as to total turnout for this one?

It will be standing room only, but curious as to a prediction overall.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Abe Froman wrote:Yes it was only one score in Game 1, but it was a running clock in Game 11.

Best back in Atlanta, Georgia is a big statement, this boy sounds like the real deal. Ironton game always worries me, it was the game I picked on another thread that I said worried me most, rivalry games in Week 1 anything can happen.

So Burg better be ready to get after it, can't take anyone lightly, but we always prepare well. Looking forward to this one more and more now.
Ironton last year after about midway through the Russell game had numerous key injuries with two key players out for the season. By the time the playoffs came around, the Tigers had four or five with season ending injuries. With the Tigers barely having 30 kids out last season, backups were not there. The playoff game was actually not something many hoped for, but it was not a real shock. Burg is well coached throughout the whole school year. I respect the program. They are doing things right and getting better at their system every year. Sometimes chemistry happens and a team comes together. Ironton has a good group of talented kids who went out this year. Many of whom worked hard in the off season. The winning attitude is there. Now to see how they do when it's game time.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

the key will be more discipline for the fighting tigers. and not shooting themselves in the foot this season. they have been killing themselves in this department last 7/8 years.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

#2 Reason Ironton will beat the Burg this season.

Ironton's numbers are up, and there are good backups available. Competition and Discipline will be huge toward the success of this years team and another reason why Ironton should again beat the Burg.

Ironton's senior group has seen their numbers decline in every sport since they finished winning the Grade School OVC with the Ironton Bills and Ironton Eagles finishing in Second place, losing by one score. If I remember correctly, that season their were 25 or more boys who played on the two teams from only that class. That group also had 20 kids on the basketball team.

This year there are only 2 kids who currently aspire to play on Ironton's basketball team who was in that group of kids when they were in the eighth grade. I remember they had enough kids to field four teams, they didn't have enough uniforms for them all. What was also so incredible about them was that the talent level was very high with all of the kids and there wasn't a drop off, that's why nobody was ever cut.

Last Season, out of the 25 kids who played in the sixth grade group, which was the last time this bunch stuck together, I counted only four or five who played back then. Ironton's practice squad consisted of mostly freshmen players who weren't able to give the first team much of a look whatsoever.

This year, many of those kids have realized it is their last chance to put on the orange and black and play under the lights at Tanks Memorial Stadium. There are numerous old faces out this season that hadn't played since grade school. Yes, they might not have been learning football for a while, however, all of them were playing other sports and are still in good physical shape. I have noticed already that the caliber of the practice squad is much better than it was last season, not to mention that Webby and many of the others who have good strength along the line are going to be pushed every day to practice hard and not let up. Last season, we really didn't have enough on our second team to give the first team any practice.

Bob Lutz would always hold a meeting with the 3rd and 4th team back when I played. The purpose was to let those kids all know that the team's success depended on how good of a look the 3rd team (practice squad) would give the varsity player and the backups. I remember the days that kids like JD Coffman would get fired up if anyone tried to take a play off on the practice squad. He would tell them if they took off the next time that he would bury them in the ground. It was Ironton football at it's best. This year for the first time in quite a while, Ironton has not only a good group of kids for a practice squad, but the kids who are wearing the blue jerseys and the white jerseys who aren't ready to give up on competing for a job on the starting squad. Great group of young men with a lot of talent across the board.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I said early on when ironton joined the ovc I thought school's numbers would go up as far as participation. I was using the line of thinking with not playing teams like desales, Hartley, Watterson and the like more might come out. just glad to have some better numbers out. which should translate to more depth. and less injury problems. great post by ibtt about the mental state of the troops.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

IBTT wrote:#2 Reason Ironton will beat the Burg this season.

Ironton's numbers are up, and there are good backups available. Competition and Discipline will be huge toward the success of this years team and another reason why Ironton should again beat the Burg.

Ironton's senior group has seen their numbers decline in every sport since they finished winning the Grade School OVC with the Ironton Bills and Ironton Eagles finishing in Second place, losing by one score. If I remember correctly, that season their were 25 or more boys who played on the two teams from only that class. That group also had 20 kids on the basketball team.

This year there are only 2 kids who currently aspire to play on Ironton's basketball team who was in that group of kids when they were in the eighth grade. I remember they had enough kids to field four teams, they didn't have enough uniforms for them all. What was also so incredible about them was that the talent level was very high with all of the kids and there wasn't a drop off, that's why nobody was ever cut.

Last Season, out of the 25 kids who played in the sixth grade group, which was the last time this bunch stuck together, I counted only four or five who played back then. Ironton's practice squad consisted of mostly freshmen players who weren't able to give the first team much of a look whatsoever.

This year, many of those kids have realized it is their last chance to put on the orange and black and play under the lights at Tanks Memorial Stadium. There are numerous old faces out this season that hadn't played since grade school. Yes, they might not have been learning football for a while, however, all of them were playing other sports and are still in good physical shape. I have noticed already that the caliber of the practice squad is much better than it was last season, not to mention that Webby and many of the others who have good strength along the line are going to be pushed every day to practice hard and not let up. Last season, we really didn't have enough on our second team to give the first team any practice.

Bob Lutz would always hold a meeting with the 3rd and 4th team back when I played. The purpose was to let those kids all know that the team's success depended on how good of a look the 3rd team (practice squad) would give the varsity player and the backups. I remember the days that kids like JD Coffman would get fired up if anyone tried to take a play off on the practice squad. He would tell them if they took off the next time that he would bury them in the ground. It was Ironton football at it's best. This year for the first time in quite a while, Ironton has not only a good group of kids for a practice squad, but the kids who are wearing the blue jerseys and the white jerseys who aren't ready to give up on competing for a job on the starting squad. Great group of young men with a lot of talent across the board.
Wow, a 7-paragraph #2 reason why the Tigers are gonna beat the Burg. #1 reason posted earlier was it was "just the Burg".

Ok, fair enough.

I am glad this year's Ironton seniors won the 6th grade super bowl and then decided to reunite again for one last hoorah. I am equally glad that Burg's seniors this year decided to return for one last hoorah after winning the regional championship in Week 13 last year as juniors and playing in Week 13 as sophomores two years ago. I was a little worried that all those kids wouldn't want to play after what this team has accomplished recently lol.

I am glad that you have back-ups now, so maybe the game will go a little quicker since we won't have to worry about waiting around for the cramp gurney to scrape em off the field and haul them to the sideline. Burg also is replete with back-ups in case that fact escaped you...back-ups that can play football I might add.

I see you have invoked Bob Lutz into this equation already lol, I figured y'all might wait till at least game 3 to do that but here he is in the preseason lol.

I will wait till you finish your top 10 then give you mine as to why Burg takes it again this year.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Just curious the kid that is supposed to be the best back in the area and probably the state, is he one of the ones that hasn't played since 6th grade?

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

JTEK wrote:Just curious the kid that is supposed to be the best back in the area and probably the state, is he one of the ones that hasn't played since 6th grade?
No according to his earlier post he is the transfer in from Georgia. IBTT or someone said he was the best back in the Atlanta, Georgia area last year.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Abe Froman wrote:
JTEK wrote:Just curious the kid that is supposed to be the best back in the area and probably the state, is he one of the ones that hasn't played since 6th grade?
No according to his earlier post he is the transfer in from Georgia. IBTT or someone said he was the best back in the Atlanta, Georgia area last year.
He grew up in Ironton, played football at Ironton and moved to Georgia. He played football in Georgia and now has moved back to Ironton, simple as that. He's a good young man and is very athletic in football and basketball. He's going to be fun to watch. He's not the only RB we have, the line will have to do it's job for it all to come together. We'll all see how things work out pretty soon.

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

I thought it was pretty well documented on the old site ITBB didn't play? Am I misremembering something here?

Edit - yeah some guys were saying something about tennis?

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Abe Froman wrote:
if he's that good his name should be all over the recruiting sites

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

JTEK wrote:
Abe Froman wrote:
According to the posts above South Carolina wants him awfully bad. Can't say I blame them, 4.4 forty and 6'-2" and best back in Atlanta is a pretty good resume.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Abe Froman wrote:
JTEK wrote:
Abe Froman wrote:
According to the posts above South Carolina wants him awfully bad. Can't say I blame them, 4.4 forty and 6'-2" and best back in Atlanta is a pretty good resume.
sometimes posters exaggerate just a little. anyone have a link to a recruiting site for him? full name?

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

;) But he ran the 4.4 twice, and it looked like he was just jogging it out.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Abe Froman wrote:;) But he ran the 4.4 twice, and it looked like he was just jogging it out.
Lol. Wonder how fast he would be if he tried?

We heard this same stuff last year and that was the worst Ironton team I have ever seen. If they didn't play in the OVC they would've been fortunate to win 3 games.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Looking forward to reason #3 why they beat Burg tomorrow.

The next 8 of these ought to be doosies, the suspense is building on our way from #1 to #10.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Paladino played tennis last season and is going to college this year on a full ride $50,000 a year scholarship in football. Many kids play numerous sports in the same year. Burg has always had the backups and as I mentioned, last year Ironton played them within one touchdown in the first game of the year without having the option to rest any players. This year many of Ironton's kids will only be playing one way. This will help out for the second half, as many have noticed in the past 6/7 years where Ironton has been dragging late in the game.

Return to “Football”