Logan Football League Talk

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Logan applies to the Licking County League

Post by pfloyd »

Any info from today's scheduled meeting of the LCL to invite or not invite Logan into the LCL ???

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

keep your fingers crossed.

AT THE RESERVATION
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Still no news? Must not have happened because of weather maybe.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

One nice perks even as far back as the early 70's our booster's provided charter buses and before and after the game meals

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Trolls on the internet. No way :lol:

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

No word?

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Haven't heard a thing.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Is there no news about this? Nothing at all yet?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Application is in the hands of the LCL.

They have a couple of procedural votes they have to get through. Should be a final answer in the next couple of weeks I'm hearing.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

loganlocos wrote:Application is in the hands of the LCL.

They have a couple of procedural votes they have to get through. Should be a final answer in the next couple of weeks I'm hearing.
Well sounds like you will hear before we hear something on March 7th from the SCOL.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Omega wrote:
formerfcfan wrote:Locos
loganlocos wrote:

1. That's a very "loose" resurrection of the Central Ohio League. At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon, however, that is nothing like the old COL. The COL I think is so dead in its legacy and history, and their former members are a couple conference re-affiliations removed, that trying to make a conference of that brand is a very confusing idea to many while also being a downright bad one. (In fact, I think you may made some Chillicothe alumni in the process).
For us old curmudgeons, here is a roster of the teams that were once in the Central Ohio League. For some reason, I want to say Portsmouth was a member of the COL for a short while back in the 60's after they left the Greater Ohio League (GOL). The COL was a premier league in Ohio in the early 70's.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Cent ... onferences

Central Ohio League

One of the first large-school conferences in Central and East Ohio, its widespread geography led to membership instability through its lifespan.
Cambridge Bobcats (1926–58, to Ohio Valley Athletic Conference 1960)
Coshocton Redskins (1926–61, to Cardinal Conference)
Lancaster Golden Gales (1926–85, to Buckeye Central Conference 1987)
Mount Vernon Yellow Jackets (1926–35, 1945–47, to Central Buckeye League)
Newark Wildcats (1926–85, to Buckeye Central Conference 1987)
Westerville Wildcats (1926–29, to Central Buckeye League)
Zanesville Blue Devils (1926–29, 1931–85, Lash until 1954, to Buckeye Central Conference 1987)
Marietta Tigers (1936–85, to Southeast Ohio Athletic League)
Chillicothe Cavaliers (1941–44, to South Central Ohio League, 1948–76, to Ohio Capital Conference)
Dover Tornadoes (1941–57, to Cardinal Conference 1960)
Ironton Tigers (1963–68, to Southeast Ohio Athletic League)
Upper Arlington Golden Bears (1968–81, to Ohio Capital Conference)
Grove City Greyhounds (1976–81, to Ohio Capital Conference)

Portsmouth was apart of the COL for a time. My uncle has told me stories of when he played basketball for Zanesville & would have to travel down there. Of course, this was on charter buses!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Philos_Finest wrote:
Omega wrote:
formerfcfan wrote:Locos
For us old curmudgeons, here is a roster of the teams that were once in the Central Ohio League. For some reason, I want to say Portsmouth was a member of the COL for a short while back in the 60's after they left the Greater Ohio League (GOL). The COL was a premier league in Ohio in the early 70's.:

Portsmouth was apart of the COL for a time. My uncle has told me stories of when he played basketball for Zanesville & would have to travel down there. Of course, this was on charter buses!
Thank you for my feeble jogging memory.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I am hearing that Logan (and Zanesville) have both been rejected by the Licking County League.

They were the only two to make a formal application.

Apparently some of the "middle" sized schools did not want to compete against Logan and Zanesville year in and year out. I think the LCL ideally would like two 8 team divisions, or at least one 8 team division of "small" schools and one 6 team division of "large" schools.

Will be interesting to see where Logan turns next. Seems like there is not much there in the short term.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Judas Priest. Correct me if I am wrong but Didnt they come to Logan and tell them to apply???? Why the hell would you do that if you didnt have support of the member schools to approach the school for expansion???? Thats so stupid.

Live Like A Champion!
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

LogangradKD wrote:Judas Priest. Correct me if I am wrong but Didnt they come to Logan and tell them to apply???? Why the hell would you do that if you didnt have support of the member schools to approach the school for expansion???? Thats so stupid.
According to the Newark Advocate they asked 6 schools to apply, but only two (Logan and Zanesville) actually submitted an application.

IMO - there were just too many "interests" for this to ever work. At the top you have Watkins and Heights who want better competition, at the bottom you have Northridge and Utica who want less competition, and in the middle you have Licking Valley, Granville, Lakewood, and Heath who are pretty content with the current situation.

A six team "Big School" division with WM, LH, Logan, Zanesville, Newark, and one of TriValley/Canal/Big Walnut plus a "small school" division of LV, Granville, Lakewood, Heath, Newark Catholic, Johnstown, Northridge, and Utica would have given the league stability - EVEN if Northridge and Utica decided to leave.

With out two more big schools, the league was probably going to fall apart if it only added Logan and Zanesville. Licking Valley and Granville don't want to be in a league with four D1/D2 schools.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Don't be surprised if the LCL "Big School" division is revisited OUTSIDE of the LCL.

I think you might see Watkins, LHeights, Logan, and Zanesville all reach out to schools like Newark, Tri-Valley, Marietta, and maybe even Warren. Sheridan could be a possibility as well. Maybe even Lancaster.

A group of six out of those schools could start something like an "Eastern Metro" league.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Confirmation from the Logan Daily News:

http://www.logandaily.com/news/logan-ag ... c7a0d.html

puppymonkeybaby
Waterboy

Post by puppymonkeybaby »

yJust a shame, is there any hope the SEOAL will ever be built up again. That may be the only option.

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

puppymonkeybaby wrote:yJust a shame, is there any hope the SEOAL will ever be built up again. That may be the only option.
The problem is that there aren't very many big schools in southeastern Ohio these days. Logan has already been rejected by the LCL, and I would imagine Jackson will get the same answer from the SCOL. If the rumors are true about Marietta and Point Pleasant being interested, the SEOAL could survive as a five team league of schools with nowhere else to go. Honestly, a league with Logan, Jackson, Marietta, Warren, and Point Pleasant could work. The big boys gotta have a place to play too. They can't all be Athens.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

This is tough news for Logan. Brutal for the students to be in a predicament due to their geography and apparently no one wanting to add a school that will be competitive.

Guys I have a real hard time understanding why a solution cannot be found for Warren-Logan-Jackson. My guess is Jackson will not get 7 votes (apparently that is the number they need from the other thread) to get into the SCOL so they fall into same boat as Logan. Finding 8 non-league games is tough especially for Warren and Jackson. Logan is a little closer to central Ohio and at least has some options with CW-Pickerington-Lancaster etc., but Warren and Jackson gonna be putting in some bus miles.

Is Point and Marietta an option still or has that opportunity gone once Logan applied to the LCL and Jackson to the SCOL?

Athens and Chillicothe should be playing Logan and Jackson every year.

Return to “Football”