Logan Football League Talk

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Logan applies to the Licking County League

Post by loganlocos »

doubleplay643 wrote:Maybe I missed it above but when does the LCL let Logan, Zanesville, etc., know about their acceptance? Is there a meeting date established yet when they vote on this?
I'm hearing Feb 9.

Like LoganGrad I had heard the 2nd at one point, but my most recent source had it as the ninth.

My latest intel says look for Logan, Zanesville, and Liberty Union as the likely expansion candidates. Liberty Union would be in the "smaller" school division.

Mount Vernon and/or Canal Winchester are still possibities from what I hear.

Something like this:

Granville
Licking Heights
Licking Valley
Logan
Watkins Memorial
Zanesville

Heath
Johnstown
Lakewood
Liberty Union
Newark Catholic
Northridge
Utica

Only thing I can't figure out is if one more team is involved to bring the league to an even 14 members. If so, it wouldn't surprise me to see Granville or Licking Valley bumped down and a third "big" school giving the top group 6 teams.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

I heard Tri Valley and possibly Sheridan as candidates so who knows....

Live Like A Champion!
Mr. Hoff
Riding the Bench

Post by Mr. Hoff »

Do any of you guys read the Puddle? It seems like a totally different discussion over there concerning Logan joining the LCL. I personally would like to see it happen but it seems like there is going to be a whole lot more to it than just a vote in a week or two. Northridge and Utica seem to be adament about not wanting to see the big schools drop down and it seems like they might leave the league if that happens. Does that threat make it not worth the risk to add another team? I have no insider knowledge but it seems like on the other site the story is being told in a much different light.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Mr. Hoff wrote:Do any of you guys read the Puddle? It seems like a totally different discussion over there concerning Logan joining the LCL. I personally would like to see it happen but it seems like there is going to be a whole lot more to it than just a vote in a week or two. Northridge and Utica seem to be adament about not wanting to see the big schools drop down and it seems like they might leave the league if that happens. Does that threat make it not worth the risk to add another team? I have no insider knowledge but it seems like on the other site the story is being told in a much different light.
LCL people seem like Logan won't happen

Mr. Hoff
Riding the Bench

Post by Mr. Hoff »

Raider6309 wrote:
Mr. Hoff wrote:Do any of you guys read the Puddle? It seems like a totally different discussion over there concerning Logan joining the LCL. I personally would like to see it happen but it seems like there is going to be a whole lot more to it than just a vote in a week or two. Northridge and Utica seem to be adament about not wanting to see the big schools drop down and it seems like they might leave the league if that happens. Does that threat make it not worth the risk to add another team? I have no insider knowledge but it seems like on the other site the story is being told in a much different light.
LCL people seem like Logan won't happen
That is the way that I am reading it too. Both sides seem to be getting "informed" information. So somebody's intel appears to be off.

gils
JV Team

Post by gils »

The dude on the puddle that talks about the LCL really does not know what is really going on. If you read his posts he likes to take the other side in most discussions that talks about the teams in the LCL.I think it will happen, we just have to wait and see. I asked a LCL A.D. where I coach at If there was a vote on expansion today he said no. So it might be next week, I think your information on here (SEOP) is more accurate than the dude 's. Good Luck to Logan, hope you are invited. The trip is not that bad from Licking County to Logan ,we play Nelsonville York in football for the past few years.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

gils wrote:The dude on the puddle that talks about the LCL really does not know what is really going on. If you read his posts he likes to take the other side in most discussions that talks about the teams in the LCL.I think it will happen, we just have to wait and see. I asked a LCL A.D. where I coach at If there was a vote on expansion today he said no. So it might be next week, I think your information on here (SEOP) is more accurate than the dude 's. Good Luck to Logan, hope you are invited. The trip is not that bad from Licking County to Logan ,we play Nelsonville York in football for the past few years.
A game that I hope continues for a long long time!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
gils
JV Team

Post by gils »

We like coming down there. We are treated well, I know coach Franks likes playing you guys. As long as he is the coach;Nelsonville York will be on the schedule. See you in early September.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Sheridan and Tri-Valley are not interested in the LCL at this point. Sure about that.

The only MVL school that could be remotely interested (and I doubt they are) is West Muskingum. Second smallest school in the MVL would be middle of the pack in the LCL small division. My West M thoughts here are purely speculation.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Logangrad wrote:I heard Tri Valley and possibly Sheridan as candidates so who knows....
Given their name, seems like TriValley should be joining the TriValley Conference

Anyone, anyone?

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

gils wrote:We like coming down there. We are treated well, I know coach Franks likes playing you guys. As long as he is the coach;Nelsonville York will be on the schedule. See you in early September.
That's because he sees NY as a bonus point cash cow. Smart coach!

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

If Liberty Union doesn't join the LCL, then I don't see how you're going to keep Northridge and Utica happy if it means dropping down Licking Valley.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

It may be worthwhile for Logan to just sit on their hands. League re-alignments are as fluid as they are in Central Ohio because of the population growth. The MSL may not be done realigning itself, either.

I'm thinking the whole "lets be in a league with Licking County" idea is counter-intuitive. We know that being an independent is pretty tough, but I'm pretty sure Logan can stave off the scheduling hardships in every sport except American football. If it came to it, Logan could have a schedule largely comprising of Fairfield and Pickaway County schools, plus Sheridan. Logan plays a lot of those schools in middle school and junior high school action.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

formerfcfan wrote:It may be worthwhile for Logan to just sit on their hands. League re-alignments are as fluid as they are in Central Ohio because of the population growth. The MSL may not be done realigning itself, either.

I'm thinking the whole "lets be in a league with Licking County" idea is counter-intuitive. We know that being an independent is pretty tough, but I'm pretty sure Logan can stave off the scheduling hardships in every sport except American football. If it came to it, Logan could have a schedule largely comprising of Fairfield and Pickaway County schools, plus Sheridan. Logan plays a lot of those schools in middle school and junior high school action.
I'll speak up for the AD here. One person is trying to complete FULL schedules for every single sport in MS and HS. Its a lot of work. If you're in a league, generally that takes care of HALF your schedule, at least in HS. And while a lot of the schools in Fairfield and Pickaway Counties will schedule Logan in MS sports, it hasn't always been the case at the HS level.

And, while it's easy to dismiss the scheduling problems in football, the reality remains that it's THE source of revenue for the Athletic Department. And scheduling games in weeks 6-10 is extremely difficult without a league.

I don't LOVE the idea of the Licking County League. But I also understand the desire of the LHSD administrators and coaches to find a league. Moving the LCL doesn't tie you to that league for eternity. If/When the Mid-State League is ready to consider Logan again, I think there would be some open ears.

Just my two cents.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

loganlocos wrote:
formerfcfan wrote:It may be worthwhile for Logan to just sit on their hands. League re-alignments are as fluid as they are in Central Ohio because of the population growth. The MSL may not be done realigning itself, either.

I'll speak up for the AD here. One person is trying to complete FULL schedules for every single sport in MS and HS. Its a lot of work. If you're in a league, generally that takes care of HALF your schedule, at least in HS. And while a lot of the schools in Fairfield and Pickaway Counties will schedule Logan in MS sports, it hasn't always been the case at the HS level.

And, while it's easy to dismiss the scheduling problems in football, the reality remains that it's THE source of revenue for the Athletic Department. And scheduling games in weeks 6-10 is extremely difficult without a league.

I don't LOVE the idea of the Licking County League. But I also understand the desire of the LHSD administrators and coaches to find a league. Moving the LCL doesn't tie you to that league for eternity. If/When the Mid-State League is ready to consider Logan again, I think there would be some open ears.

Just my two cents.
Well if Logan doesn't love the idea of the LCL have they ever thought of applying to join the TVC? Just a thought since I haven't seen it mentioned on this page of the thread. I figure Jackson and Warren would go with them if they get in. :mrgreen:

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Those are very valid points.

Football - I'm not really too sure what the best bet is. If you get in the LCL, your opponents have drives that are longer than they're used to (although, I'm pretty sure most of the big schools have bands... so that could mitigate the loss of any casual fans who decided not to make the trip). But it is better than nothing.

I wasn't aware Logan's AD does the scheduling for BOTH the middle school and high school, so I apologize on that regard.

It's really hard to tell what's going on with the Mid-State League. I think everyone, including myself, who has voiced a thought about what the MSL is going to do in the past 2-3 years has been wrong on something. The MSL, and its re-structuring, what they're doing down the road, etc is far from over. If Liberty Union leaves the Buckeye (this has been the topic), an opening creates. Either they go to the LCL, or they go to the MSL-Ohio. If they go to the LCL, you need to fill in the plug somehow. But no school in the current MSL, with the exception of maybe Whitehall, honestly fits in there very well. What if the SCOL poaches from the Buckeye?

There's just a lot of unanswered questions surrounding the obviously superior alternative (MSL) right now. I bet to an extent it "kills" the Logan folks not knowing what's happening with the MSL. So what happens if they go the the LCL route, and then the MSL says "hey, we still good? C'mon over"?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

If the MSL really wanted Logan, they would have found a way to add them by now.

I think the LCL is a good fit for Logan. If Logan goes into this with the idea that this is a temporary fix then I think it will note them in the arse.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Wonder what the biggest thing the MSL has against Logan join them?
They have always done well against Logan in most sports. Didn't they say no to Logan during our worst spell in football?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

formerfcfan wrote:Those are very valid points.

Football - I'm not really too sure what the best bet is. If you get in the LCL, your opponents have drives that are longer than they're used to (although, I'm pretty sure most of the big schools have bands... so that could mitigate the loss of any casual fans who decided not to make the trip). But it is better than nothing.
I think the home gate is really what's important anyway. Having at least five home games a year is pretty important for the bottom line.

As for visiting bands, they don't pay admission and the concessions all go to the Logan Band Boosters (not athletics) so that would be a wash. But like I said, it's really about a home gate.

FWIW - I think Logan will travel well to LCL league schools. And the Logan band is HUGE by most people's standards.
formerfcfan wrote: I wasn't aware Logan's AD does the scheduling for BOTH the middle school and high school, so I apologize on that regard.
As far as I know this hasn't changed. That's definitely how the scheduling was done when I was in school around a decade ago.
formerfcfan wrote: So what happens if they go the the LCL route, and then the MSL says "hey, we still good? C'mon over"?
My GUESS is that Logan would jump to the MSL in a heartbeat - whether they remain in the SEOAL or move to the LCL.

But I also think that most people in the school system are tired of "hoping" things break their way with the Mid-State League. And I also think there is a belief that a couple of schools in the MSL-Buckeye DO NOT want Logan added. Maybe that believe is wrong, but I think it exists.

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

The Buckeye division should cut ties from the MSL and form it's own independent league. Resurrect the COL with a big and small school division to form a 10 team conference.

COL
Logan
Teays Valley
Canal Winchester
Hamilton Township
Chillicothe

Amanda-Clearcreek
Fairfield Union
Bloom-Carrol
Logan Elm
Circleville

Return to “Football”