Wellston Golden Rocket football 2016

Poo Bear
SEOP

Wellston Golden Rocket football 2016

Post by Poo Bear »

Not sure who returns
Losing some good athletes down there .

Coaches seem to be all in and a good off season weight program will help .

Dandy don maybe you can weigh in ...

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: Wellston Golden Rocket football 2016

Post by Poo Bear »

I think graham will step in as QB and from judging him in basketball he is a very good looking athlete .

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Being a d5 school Wellston plays at least 3 d3 schools
Jackson
VC
Athens

The other tvc teams that are D5 lost a lot of players also
River valley
Alex
So I think they'll compete with these guys

Would've been nice to see the tvc add schools and split into divisions so teams like Wellston could compete with teams their size.

They seem to judge their season on Jackson game and that's unfortunate

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Better than expected I think.

Lot of pressure last year on staff and kids to win right now and often, myself included fell in that trap.

This year just the opposite, less pressure on everyone and I think that will help. I think we can compete with everyone in the league. Need good off season and I think we are off to a good start on that front.

I think we will surprise a lot of people, and start to win some games we aren't "supposed" to (like Athens last year). Once we turn that corner by beating confernce opponents we will be fine.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Well said Don

Hoping for the best in Rocket Land

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

You mean there hasn't been any of those chunky pole dancing moms at any board meetings lately?

Dang it!

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

Poo Bear wrote:Being a d5 school Wellston plays at least 3 d3 schools
Jackson
VC
Athens

The other tvc teams that are D5 lost a lot of players also
River valley
Alex
So I think they'll compete with these guys

Would've been nice to see the tvc add schools and split into divisions so teams like Wellston could compete with teams their size.

They seem to judge their season on Jackson game and that's unfortunate
I think Wellston would rather play the teams they play now and get better. I know coach Phillips doesn't shy away from a challenge. I doubt they would drop Jackson no matter what league alignment they are in.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Playing schools 2 divisions bigger doesn't necessarily make one better , sometimes it just makes a team more beat up

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC is borderline DIV and I'll be the first to tell you, wellston had had more numbers and more talent overall the last few years. If wellston can turn the corner, this league is perfect for them. Plenty of points to be had. Just ask NY. Lol

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

I can argue this either way, and present a pretty effective case for each way.

Averaging two sizes up has beat us up in the past, most recently 2 years ago when we had a MASH unit going into Week 2. So that has happened, but typically it works out this year after Jackson wasn't too bad and against Athens no problem at all. Vinton County may be D3 per the official numbers but they are a county school, so in reality they are more like a D4 and more similar to us than different. Jackson and Athens clearly have the numbers edge.

If Wellston can turn the corner then I agree with Dundas, but what is the quickest way around that corner that he refers to above? At end of day we are staying put so we just need to hang in there because there are plenty of points and opportunities once we get around the corner.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Easing up the non league is the best way to rescue a program. Wellston has done that and it won't be long until they're back in the top half. Same for VC. That week 10 game will mean something again soon. Wait and see.

Texas 2
Freshman Team

Post by Texas 2 »

I look at the schedule and I think Wellston will finish 7 and 3

MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

Coach Phillips will win a TVC title within his first 5 years at Wellston. Take it to the bank!

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

MeyerSpread wrote:Coach Phillips will win a TVC title within his first 5 years at Wellston. Take it to the bank!
Well he has 4 years left then. But if NY hires the right guy and he gets the some of the good staff back together and the right kids out this won't happen next year. In fact NY will be loaded for the next few years. Athens has a lot coming up through the ranks too. Not to mention Meigs. So I just don't see this happening.

MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

He took Oak Hill from 0-10 to the playoffs in 2 years and was a huge factor in Jacksons success under Randy Layton. Wellston has talent as proven during the Hinton years.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

I'm with dandydon and Dundas. Wellston is on the right track. They lost some good athletes but had a decent JV team to help fill the holes. Will be their second year at it with coach Phillips system and I believe the kids have bought in. Look for them to have a respectable season. And week ten will be another fun one to watch.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Kids are excited for summer workouts to begin, don't sleep on some of these younger ones they seem willing to find a place among the returning starters.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Dandy Don wrote:Kids are excited for summer workouts to begin, don't sleep on some of these younger ones they seem willing to find a place among the returning starters.
I think Wellston has the right coaching staff. I think they will improve this year.
It's hard to predict a record with Wellston. I've seen years where they looked like they would/could win 7or 8 games and end up wing 4 or 5, and I've seen years I thought they'd go 2-8 and they win 6 or 7.

I think that if this coaching staff can stay together and the community continues to support them they will become consistent winners.

If your kids believe in their coaches and the coaches believe in the kids then most of the time, the turnaround happens fairly quickly.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Wellston will be 5-5
Write it down !

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Any other Rocket fans out there that think the Week 1 game has ran its course and needs re-thought?

Or am I alone on this one?

Interested in others perspective, maybe reinstate it at some point but think time to change it up.

Opinions?

Return to “Football”