A SERIOUS QUESTION ABOUT THE MAC LEAGUE

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: A SERIOUS QUESTION ABOUT THE MAC LEAGUE

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

the closest game was a 17-14 win over marion local. but we all know what kinda program marion local has.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Kenton at d4 is the biggest team they play enrollment wise. but all the teams on their schedule are very productive, consistent programs.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

what continues to amaze me is. these seniors this year at coldwater have won a state title every year they played high school football. which in it's own right is unparalleled.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I think it's okay to be in complete awe of programs like this. and they beat the catholic schools on a regular basis as well. a poster mentioned earlier that the program reminded him of the old ironton lutz teams. which I thought was an excellent comparison.but ironton has been to a ton of state championship games and only have 2 titles. which is amazing to have any from down here.and we have 2 but my point is it's dadgumb hard to win any of the state titles. much less every year you were in school. that to me is just amazing. I said it before I thought burg really had a chance they had a fine team. and just got a mud hole stomped in them. and they had an excellent team.so we really need to step it up down here. and with all the schools down here all basically having brand new schools. and the counties as wide spread as they are. I don't really see consolidation happening in these parts.i mean Lawrence county stretches from the galipollis border to wheelersburgs border. and personally I'm against consolidation in these parts. I think a better education is achieved by less students in the class room and good sound teaching. but don't kid ourselves there either kids are graduating in these parts that can't hardly spell their names and could not do the basic math we did without a calculator.yet we allow it to happen. I bet that is not the case so much in these mac schools

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Locos -- Not Parks. Way before him. Newell from Caldwell. BTW, Fort Recovery used to be a basketball only school. They showed up one year when I coached in the state basketball tournament. We got beat by Marion Pleasant in the semis , but Fort played for the title. I don't remember if they won it. Built FB from the ground up in the toughest league in the state.

Have gun, will travel
big medicine
Waterboy

Post by big medicine »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:what continues to amaze me is. these seniors this year at coldwater have won a state title every year they played high school football. which in it's own right is unparalleled.
Last years Marion Local senior's also did it This years seniors, 3 golds and a silver.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

wow, I did not know that.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

One of the classiest things about this league and their fans, YOU NEVER HEAR THEM CRYING ABOUT THE PRIVATE SCHOOLS HAVING SOME BIG ADVANTAGES. They just line up play the game and win or lose, without crying.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote:One of the classiest things about this league and their fans, YOU NEVER HEAR THEM CRYING ABOUT THE PRIVATE SCHOOLS HAVING SOME BIG ADVANTAGES. They just line up play the game and win or lose, without crying.
2014 138 senior D1 athletes played in D1-D4. 5 in D5-D7. Thats why there's a disparity at the bigger schools.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin wrote:Locos -- Not Parks. Way before him. Newell from Caldwell. BTW, Fort Recovery used to be a basketball only school. They showed up one year when I coached in the state basketball tournament. We got beat by Marion Pleasant in the semis , but Fort played for the title. I don't remember if they won it. Built FB from the ground up in the toughest league in the state.
Good to know.

My mother was from New Knoxville - MAC school that doesn't play football. I know the area and the league well. NK won the 2008 D4 basketball title and were undefeated in the MAC in back to back years in basketball.

Paladin - Larry Wells' son in law was the head coach at Anna when they started their program. He stepped down a year or two ago, but did a great starting that program. Never quite got to the level of FR, but did build them into a program that joined the MAC (in football only).

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Anna was in a good position. I believe there is an auto plant there ( GM ?). Solid blue collar and rabid about FB. Locos , is Larry Wells dead ? I thought I had heard that. St. Henry USED to be a state power and produced several Ohio St and Pro players. They are down and have been for a number of years. Same for Versailles who used to be tough. Their decline began when a long time HC retired years ago. While St. John ( Delphos) used to be a tough nut as a parochial, the MAC kicks their butt pretty good now. St. John is the only parochial in the MAC. Never dominated it.

Have gun, will travel
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin wrote:Anna was in a good position. I believe there is an auto plant there ( GM ?). Solid blue collar and rabid about FB. Locos , is Larry Wells dead ? I thought I had heard that. St. Henry USED to be a state power and produced several Ohio St and Pro players. They are down and have been for a number of years. Same for Versailles who used to be tough. Their decline began when a long time HC retired years ago. While St. John ( Delphos) used to be a tough nut as a parochial, the MAC kicks their butt pretty good now. St. John is the only parochial in the MAC. Never dominated it.
Larry died 7 or 8 years ago. I grew right almost across the street (on North Street). I took over "spotting" in the pressbox when Larry got sick (cancer) and worked with Willie Dicken (the PA announcer). As far as I know Sandy still lives in their house on North St. Great people.

I've seen talk in other places that the tutition at St. John's has really skyrocketed over the last decade. Delphos Jefferson (the public school in Delphos) has made some big strides during that same time. Some seem to think there is a correlation, but I have no idea what kind of coaching/administration changes have taken place there also.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Ole Larry was a good fella.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

St. Henry has been a powerhouse program off and on for many moons.

big medicine
Waterboy

Post by big medicine »

Paladin wrote:Anna was in a good position. I believe there is an auto plant there ( GM ?). Solid blue collar and rabid about FB. Locos , is Larry Wells dead ? I thought I had heard that. St. Henry USED to be a state power and produced several Ohio St and Pro players. They are down and have been for a number of years. Same for Versailles who used to be tough. Their decline began when a long time HC retired years ago. While St. John ( Delphos) used to be a tough nut as a parochial, the MAC kicks their butt pretty good now. St. John is the only parochial in the MAC. Never dominated it.

Anna is affiliated with Honda
Just out of curiosity I looked it up
Versailles won their most recent title in 2003 (D-IV), led by long time coach Al Hetrick who retired in 2005 with 6 state championships.

St. Henry last won a title in 2006 (D-V) led by a young coach, I believe his name was Starkey, or something close to that. They had also won it in 2004. His predecessor Tim Boekman retired with 4 titles.

Delphos St. John last won a state title in 2010 (their 6th). There was a time in the late 90's when the blue jays pretty much had their way with well everybody, during a 57 game win streak (96-2000).

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it certainly is impressive what the mac has done in football, no doubt about that. I'd be curious as to how many state titles in football that the mac has since say 72 when the actual playoffs started.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

YTB -

The MAC was formed in 1973. Here is their history:

MAC Team State Championships & State Final Four Appearances (1973-Present)

MAC Team State Championships Summary – 116 total MAC State Championships
(12 additional total State Championships before MAC was established or before schools became members of the MAC)
By School:
Minster Wildcats – 28 MAC State Championships (12 Girls Track & Field, 9 Girls Cross Country, 2 Girls Basketball, 2 Baseball, 2 Football, 1 Boys Golf)
Coldwater Cavaliers – 23 MAC State Championships (6 Baseball, 6 Football, 3 Girls Track & Field, 2 Girls Basketball, 3 Boys Bowling, 3 Girls Bowling)
St. Henry Redskins – 20 MAC State Championships (7 Volleyball, 6 Football, 4 Boys Basketball, 3 Baseball)
Marion Local Flyers – 16 MAC State Championships (8 Football, 5 Volleyball, 2 Boys Basketball, 1 Girls Basketball)
Delphos St. John’s Blue Jays – 10 MAC State Championships (6 Football, 2 Boys Basketball, 2 Girls Basketball)
4 non-MAC State Championships (3 Girls Basketball, 1 Boys Basketball)
Versailles Tigers – 9 MAC State Championships (3 Girls Track & Field, 2 Girls Basketball, 2 Girls Cross Country, 1 Football, 1 Volleyball)
7 non-MAC State Championships (6 Football, 1 Baseball)
Fort Recovery Indians – 5 MAC State Championships (2 Girls Basketball, 1 Football, 1 Volleyball, 1 Boys Cross Country)
1 non-MAC State Championship (1 Boys Basketball)
Parkway Panthers – 4 MAC State Championships (2 Baseball, 2 Volleyball)
New Knoxville Rangers – 1 MAC State Championship (1 Boys Basketball)
New Bremen Cardinals – 0 MAC State Championships

MAC State Championships By Sport (116):
Football 30
Track & Field – Girls 18
Volleyball 16
Baseball 13
Basketball – Girls 11
Cross Country – Girls 11
Basketball – Boys 9
Bowling – Boys 3
Bowling – Girls 3
Golf – Boys 1
Cross Country – Boys 1

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

DAGNABBIT LOCOS YOU ARE GOOD.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

OH MY GOODNESS 30 FOOTBALL TITLES, THAT BLOWS MY MIND.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

THAT IS JUST TRULEY AMAZING TO ME. DOWN HERE WE HAVE 3. WHEELERSBURG 1 AND IRONTON 2.
AND THE FOLKS DOWN HERE COULD NOT BE ANY PROUDER OF OUR FOOTBALL HERITAGES, AND RIGHTLY SO.

Return to “Football”