Should one have to graduate to be in a schools Hall of Fame?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Should one have to graduate to be in a schools Hall of Fame?

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

CGHornet55 wrote:Example: Here we have Dave Lucas (Coal Grove), Bob Lutz (Ironton), and Phil Davis (Chesapeake). All three men were excellent coaches for their respectable programs. Here's the thing, none for their alma mater. Dave Lucas was from Ceredo-Kenova, Bob Lutz was from St. Joe, and Phil Davis was from Wayne (I think?). These three men are legends of their respective programs, what do you say about this? How can you deny these men at the hall of fame when they changed the culture at their schools, brought pride into a program and community, and also were molders of young men?
THESE MEN ARE IN AS COACHES NOT PLAYERS.

AND AS FAR AS A PREMATURE DEATH, BEFORE GRADUATING. IT THE PLAYER WAS A SUPERSTAR AND IT WAS OBVIOUS THEY WERE GOING TO BE HALL WORTHY.AND THAT'S A GREAT POINT ABOUT GOING ALL THE WAY THROUGH A SENIOR YEAR, AND NOT GRADUATING BECAUSE OF NOT PASSING THE REQUIRED TEST.

HERE'S MY THOUGHTS ON THAT. IF YOU HAVE A LEARNING DISABILITY THAT SHOULD DEFINATELY BE A CONSIDERATION.

IF YOU WENT ALL 12 YEARS AND WEREN'T LEARNING ANYTHING BUT THEY KEPT MOVING YOU ON TO THE NEXT GRADE. THAT'S ON THE TEACHERS AND SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

Zane Trace does not have an Athletic Hall of Fame.
They just put hundreds of pictures in the hallways.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Their should always be exceptions when it comes to things like this.

If a student plays 2 or 3 years in a sport or multiple sports and is an outstanding athlete but gets into am accident and is paralyzed or otherwise unable to finish high school, he or she should obviously get in. If Jr just doesn't like school and quits after his Jr year then no way.

So my answer is yes, but with exceptions.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

What about a guy like J.R. House? Won state title and set national records in WV in football but would transfer to FL every year to play baseball.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Orange and Brown wrote:Their should always be exceptions when it comes to things like this.

If a student plays 2 or 3 years in a sport or multiple sports and is an outstanding athlete but gets into am accident and is paralyzed or otherwise unable to finish high school, he or she should obviously get in. If Jr just doesn't like school and quits after his Jr year then no way.

So my answer is yes, but with exceptions.
I'm sure Ibi Watson will get in with that loaded Athens era. Took Athens to its first regional in 50 years.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I would think it depends---if a player was great at a school for 3 years and then moved or transferred and was never heard of again--it would be one thing.
If that same player went on to greatness at the college or pro level---it would be another.

You can make arguments either way but I know what I think would happen---does anybody really believe a NFL player would be turned down?

Copay
Riding the Bench

Post by Copay »

This would be the situation for Justin Zwick. Great QB at Orrville, leads them to the state championship. Then transfers to Massilon Washington.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Raider6309 wrote:Athens says its 5 but its really 20 years. They just did Nick Toth and Kaheem Maxwell who played in the mid 90's. Liz, Grant Gregory, Sarah Vaughn, and Kurt Roberts are about 10 years out and still not in.

Grant not being SEOAL MVP was a joke.
Who got it over him?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Ironman92 wrote:Who got it over him?

jared humphreys and Donnie Johnson. They were good high school football players but Grant was on another level. 4500 yards passing 41 touchdowns, 1200 yards rushing 21 touchdowns, 240 tackles, 10 interceptions, in 3 years. MVP of the north south game

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Humphrey's father is our defensive coordinator here now.

What was the outcome of the Jackson and Athens game the year he won the MVP award? What were the stats in that game when they went head to head?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

In the 39-36 game
Grant had 435 yards passing and 4 passing touchdowns
Jared had 220 yards rushing and 3 rushing touchdowns

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Raider6309 wrote:In the 39-36 game
Grant had 435 yards passing and 4 passing touchdowns
Jared had 220 yards rushing and 3 rushing touchdowns
39-36 who?

Sounds like both players put their teams on their shoulders and got the job done.

Did the team that won this game win the SEOAL that year?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

List of power 5 starting QB's from the SEOAL can't be a long list outside of Grant

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Actually I was wrong Ironman. It was Ty Simmons and Donnie Johnson over Grant Gregory

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Saw Donnie and Grant both against Logan and Grant was a QB all the way and Donnie was A converted back or Wideout if right....Logan handled Grant but not Donnie

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

noreply66 wrote:Saw Donnie and Grant both against Logan and Grant was a QB all the way and Donnie was A converted back or Wideout if right....Logan handled Grant but not Donnie
Logan beat Grant 34-30. I wouldn't call that handled

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Raider6309 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:Who got it over him?

jared humphreys and Donnie Johnson. They were good high school football players but Grant was on another level. 4500 yards passing 41 touchdowns, 1200 yards rushing 21 touchdowns, 240 tackles, 10 interceptions, in 3 years. MVP of the north south game
Donnie Johnson's senior year was probably the single greatest individual season I have seen by anyone in the SEOAL. Grant was GREAT. Truly Great. But couldn't take over game's like Donnie could in their offense his senior season. Honestly, Athens probably had a better supporting cast than Donnie had in 2003 (Hewitt, Sebring, Mingus, Wren, Roberts).

The league was absolutely loaded with individual talent in '02 and '03. Grant Gregory was 9-10 overall in the league as a starter.

Gregory (QB at South Florida/Kansas State)
Humphreys (baseball at Kent State)
Johnson (QB at Tiffin (D2)
Austin Rohr (RB, Logan) - Still the best RB for Logan in the last 20 years IMO. Averaged over 200 yards per game in the league, ran track at OSU)

From '02:
Ty Simmons (played at Marshall)
Tyler Kelly (Marietta, should have been league MVP IMO)

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

As far as the topic goes, I'm on the LHS Athletic Hall of Fame committee, and I would have a hard time ever putting an ATHLETE in who didn't graduate from LHS.

I don't want to say never, but there would need to be some pretty real and extensive extenuating circumstances.

But for COACHES, we have put in a number of non-graduate coaches. Dale Amyx (football), Gary Swinehart (boys basketball), and Ralph Taylor (girls basketball) to name three.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

loganlocos wrote:As far as the topic goes, I'm on the LHS Athletic Hall of Fame committee, and I would have a hard time ever putting an ATHLETE in who didn't graduate from LHS.

I don't want to say never, but there would need to be some pretty real and extensive extenuating circumstances.

But for COACHES, we have put in a number of non-graduate coaches. Dale Amyx (football), Gary Swinehart (boys basketball), and Ralph Taylor (girls basketball) to name three.
How about Ibi Watson from Athens? Mom works at Hocking and step dad worked at Ohio university. Step dad got a job in Lima and moved to Pickerington from Athens.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Raider6309 wrote:
loganlocos wrote:As far as the topic goes, I'm on the LHS Athletic Hall of Fame committee, and I would have a hard time ever putting an ATHLETE in who didn't graduate from LHS.

How about Ibi Watson from Athens? Mom works at Hocking and step dad worked at Ohio university. Step dad got a job in Lima and moved to Pickerington from Athens.
I would consider that for sure. Not sure Ibi did enough at Athens to merit being a hall of famer IMO, but say they had gotten to the Final Four or he had played three full seasons and scored 1,000 points, I'd definitely consider him.

Logan has Josh Jackson (kicked at Ohio State) in our HOF. Josh only played one season at Logan (transferred from a school in Louisiana), but he still has more career field goals (including the longest) that anyone is school history.

Return to “Football”