A SERIOUS QUESTION ABOUT THE MAC LEAGUE

big medicine
Waterboy

Re: A SERIOUS QUESTION ABOUT THE MAC LEAGUE

Post by big medicine »

Ok, following that line of thought. Any theories on what differentiates the MAC from neighboring conferences that share similar economic and population density statistics ?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I JUST KNOW THEY ARE ON TO SOMETHING, AND WANT IT TO GET INSTILLED HERE IN SOUTHEASTERN OHIO FOOTBALL. I HAVE NO IDEA, BUT I ASSUME THE MAC IS ON TOP OF ABOUT ALL SPORTS AREN'T THEY FOR THEIR SIZE.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

ONE THOUGHT KEEPS COMING TO MY MIND. HAVING WRESTLING PROGRAMS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
big medicine
Waterboy

Post by big medicine »

Marion Local does not have wrestling. I think maybe half the schools in the conference may have it now.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

They don't have D1 elite athletes but win because they play 4 state contenders in a year. They also run a spread in divisions that never see that style all year. The MAC has teams that pass heavy and teams that run heavy.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

great point.

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Money. .money and more money that is donated into a system. .enough to keep a full time staff from top to bottom if we could afford that it would make a huge difference.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

another great point bucks.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

I see a lot of similarities between the MAC and a lot of private schools such as DeSales, Hartley, etc. and that is consistency in what makes kids successful in any venture academic or athletically.

Stable households, families that encourage participation, hard work, and a team orientation over that of the individual. Off season preparation over and above what the team workouts may be. Once there is a routine or habit of how things are done and that routine translates to success, it becomes a self-fulfilling event on an annual basis.

Consistency in coaching and teaching, consistency in large participating classes that have competition which advances everyone not just the individual makes teams somewhat resistant to the cycles of the inevitable ups and downs of how athletic certain classes may be, and if you can even out those cycles by being consistent in all those other things that make a great team besides individual talent then your program is much better off.

I bet if you look at the approach year round on and off season between the MAC and any successful HS program there is more similarities between how the coaches, kids and parents view what is important. Team is job one and that has to be a 12-month message.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

NY BUCKS wrote:Money. .money and more money that is donated into a system. .enough to keep a full time staff from top to bottom if we could afford that it would make a huge difference.
MAC schools really have full time coaching staffs?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I wonder how many D3 Celina kids play on Coldwater?

toldya
Freshman Team

Post by toldya »

Raider,
You can not be serious. That is like asking how many O U coaches kids play for Athens. I have lived in MAC country. A special place. Coaching, kids, family, respect. Check the Mac school results on any state testing. Forget sports.

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

I think a big factor is that the parents of the kids in the MAC, for a large %.......allow the coaches to do their job and that is to be a coach, and to coach their child. I bet they teach their kids to respect the coaches decisions, work hard to get better when they are lower on the depth chart, and that they teach their child to accept the position they are given on the team. I have a feeling they teach their kids to go and be part of something bigger than themselves and to do their part to be part of a winner......hence they have 75% or more of their male enrollment playing.

I watched the 3 teams in the state games....while I feel they were all three very balanced teams by passing and running effectively....they did not do anything mystical or awe-inspiring when it comes to football....but do they ever By-God execute!!!

Go back to the Ironton/Lutz Glory days....what did they do....they blocked the best, they tackled the best, they played the most mistake free & they executed.......and they filled their sideline with kids who wanted to be part of something special.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

you are right snoop-------------and they rarely shot themselves in the foot.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Happy New Year........ played with a guy from Coldwater in college and had a friend who coached against me leave our league and take the HC job at Minster. Some facts ...... demographically that area is STRONG in German heritage, strong as Catholics, conservative, rural, limited sports programs, solid coaching, heavy student participation AND football is the dominate sports program of choice for the communities. Also observe that they SEEK out better competition in OOC games. Even when in down years ( St. Henry used to be a power as did Versaailles), they stay in the league and don't run off for easy pickings in a mew league. Towns are realistic, know when they have talent and when they don't , do not run off coaches but simply insist that the kids be made to be competitive. The league as a whole has solid teams, even the losers. Yet they have the desire to try again need year and not run off for easy pickings. Poverty is found there . Single parents are there. They don't make excuses or rationalize away losing. Over time, it brings the level of play up way above the average for all.

BTW, the Coldwater player never stayed with college -- too dumb. He became a barber. The Minster coach stayed for a few years but took an administration job and moved on to higher income

Have gun, will travel
loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Paladin wrote:Happy New Year........ played with a guy from Coldwater in college and had a friend who coached against me leave our league and take the HC job at Minster. Some facts ...... demographically that area is STRONG in German heritage, strong as Catholics, conservative, rural, limited sports programs, solid coaching, heavy student participation AND football is the dominate sports program of choice for the communities. Also observe that they SEEK out better competition in OOC games. Even when in down years ( St. Henry used to be a power as did Versaailles), they stay in the league and don't run off for easy pickings in a mew league. Towns are realistic, know when they have talent and when they don't , do not run off coaches but simply insist that the kids be made to be competitive. The league as a whole has solid teams, even the losers. Yet they have the desire to try again need year and not run off for easy pickings. Poverty is found there . Single parents are there. They don't make excuses or rationalize away losing. Over time, it brings the level of play up way above the average for all.

BTW, the Coldwater player never stayed with college -- too dumb. He became a barber. The Minster coach stayed for a few years but took an administration job and moved on to higher income
Was the head coach Whit Parks? Know he was at Zanesville and Bishop Rosecrans before going to Minster.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Great posts all. Look up Maria Stein Marion local high school on google maps. Where do their kids come from? I don't know. I can find maybe 30 homes locally! LOL. Almost like trying to figure out how a team the size of Amanda clearcreak did so well so many years in a town so small. But they had Chillicothe so close. I don't know if that is why, just wondering. As for Maria stein, St henry, 4 miles west, Coldwater, 5 miles nw, Versailles, 9-10 miles south, Minster, 3 miles east, New Bremen, 4 miles NE, Fort recovery, 6 miles west, Anna 7 mile east of Minster, Delphos way up north, 7 mile nw of Lima, parkway is like 12 miles north of Coldwater and New Knoxville is 3 miles NE of New Bremen. I'm not an Ohsaa wizard, but what are the rules again for open enrollment for adjacent schools? Why I ask is look at the bigger picture. U have several major towns in the area: Sydney near anna, Celina near Coldwater and St Henrys and Fort recovery. St Marys and Wapakoneta near Minster, Bremen and New Knox. Lima for Delphos. Versailles has Piqua and Greenville. Again, I am asking if they have an impact or not. I don't know. Just trying to answer the original post. And I don't discount the villages they live in having such great support and great coaches and just plain football prowess!! We have seen that in this area with Portsmouth west having that amazing run in 2002! But watch videos of the Coldwater Oline vs Burg dline and Burg oline vs Cavs dline and you will see a huge difference in blocking technique. Its On maxpreps if you get the time. The kids from the Coldwater dominated. And look at Videos of Coldwater vs Maria Stein. Maria has dominated Coldwater for a long time running the I formation, and power running. But watch their blocking. Then they switch to spread every once in awhile to keep them guessing. Let me propose this if it can be done, and I know it can lol

How about the SOC top 3 play the MAC top three for a few years and take our punishment and just learn more and get better. Yes, we may lose out a cpl years in computer points but look at what u get on film? You learn to play the best. I would even propose Portsmouth, Ironton and Burg play their top three for Home and Home and see what happens. I know its cross conference, and I would even ask the Valley Indians to get involved if they want to, I'm sure they would be interested, I don't want to leave anyone out that has been playoff bound for a few years.

took me 1 hour to post this. I hope I didn't get many ppl confused or bored by the post. Many thoughts on this by my feeble brain. BUT, we have some of the best minds in football don't we Palladin??

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

great ideas. but I fear the years of ironton playing the desales, Watterson, hartleys ,jacksons, logans, type teams may be behind us now. at least for the near future. and with ak steel losing well over 1,000 jobs ak employees/contractor jobs there in Ashland,ky. where a ton of ironton workers are/were employed. I fear the town will really feel the brunt of this. with ironton getting leagued up. in the ovc, which is where they need to stay.and then you have long time rivalries in wheelersburg, Ashland, and Russell, ky. it really does not leave that opportunity now. but I certainly like seasick's idea. and if any of the traditional rivals drop ironton I think that's an excellent idea.-------------ironton has always played enourmous powerhouse programs. but let's not kid ourselves the mac has it figured out.whether they are filling up on bigger city kids or not.if it's work ethic, we need to step it up down here.i really thought that burg had a chance, and coldwater just hammered them. and the burg smashed a much bigger Jackson team earlier in the years.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it's something the programs down here really need to pattern after.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Region 18

Coldwater 2015 Football (15-0)

8/28 H Kenton (2-8) [4:12] W 42-0
9/4 H Jefferson (10-2) [6:22] W 35-6
9/11 H Minster (10-3) [7:26] W 28-0
9/18 A St Henry (6-4) [6:22] W 38-0
9/25 H Anna (3-7) [5:18] W 40-7
10/2 A Parkway (2-8) [6:22] W 42-7
10/9 H Marion Local (13-2) [6:22] W 17-14
10/16 A Versailles (4-6) [5:18] W 44-7
10/23 H St John's (1-9) [7:24] W 47-7
10/30 A New Bremen (1-9) [7:26] W 48-0
11/6 H # Bethel-Tate (6-4) [5:18] W 42-0
11/13 N # Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy (10-2) [5:18] W 44-14
11/20 N # Brookville (12-1) [5:18] W 31-13
11/27 N # Wheelersburg (13-1) [5:17] W 36-6
12/4 N # Canton Central Catholic (11-4) [5:15] W 35-

I mean look at this domination.

Return to “Football”