Did Ironton Close Down Their Weight Program

Roadhog
Freshman Team

Re: Did Ironton Close Down Their Weight Program

Post by Roadhog »

Yep gotta hit the weights , gotta nephew on Jackson squad, they gotta lift this week. For that matter they lift at least 5 days a week either in the morning before school or after , some do both!!

The Dog
Freshman Team

Post by The Dog »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:look at college, and pro basketball players and anybody try to convince me they are not weight training. I really nutrition and excessive amounts of protein are key. but they ain't getting that way using them stretchy bands and doin yoga. they are pushing around the iron.
Ya well you get ya some of them college an pro basketball players and you let them lift. Until then it just messes up ther shot. And dont do yogi eether or rubber bands what ever that is. Just suicides, jump shots and foul shots. If ya dont believe me just look at Racine them boys was a liften them danged waits and they cant make a shot now.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

The Dog wrote:
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote:look at college, and pro basketball players and anybody try to convince me they are not weight training. I really nutrition and excessive amounts of protein are key. but they ain't getting that way using them stretchy bands and doin yoga. they are pushing around the iron.
Ya well you get ya some of them college an pro basketball players and you let them lift. Until then it just messes up ther shot. And dont do yogi eether or rubber bands what ever that is. Just suicides, jump shots and foul shots. If ya dont believe me just look at Racine them boys was a liften them danged waits and they cant make a shot now.
Really come on maybe they just not very good. Everyone lifts weights now even golfers.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Poo Bear wrote:Ironton sounds like a mess right now
How embarrassing that this is even being discussed
This is the new Ironton Tigers
No one is Intimidated and they all smell blood
I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE IF THERE IS ANY MERIT TO ANY OF THIS.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

The Dog wrote:
YOU FUNNY DOG.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

osu 77 wrote:
The Dog wrote:
Really come on maybe they just not very good. Everyone lifts weights now even golfers.

EXACTLY EVEN THE GIRLS WORK OUT FEVERISHLY IN SOME SCHOOLS.
I DON'T BUY IT KILLING BASKETBALL SHOTS. BUT THEN AGAIN IF YOU EVER SEEN ME, I HAIN'T EXACTLY A BASKETBALLER. IF I RUN THAT FAR I WANNA HIT SOMETHING. AND I WAS ALWAYS LAST TO GET PICKED IN GYM CLASS FOR BASKETBALL. IT ALWAYS CAME DOWN TO ME N THE GAL ON THE IRON LUNG MACHINE.========================================DANG I STILL HAVE NIGHTMARES ABOUT STILL GETTIN PICKED LAST.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

How come Spring lifting for Football isnt banned cause of Baseball? The point is... the weight room issue is causing a general downfall of Ironton athletics. If it continues like this... Ironton will be sub .500 come football season until they change that... or Look at a personel change

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

This weight room closure would NEVER Happen if Lutz was still head coach.

And that being said... Those boys lifted all season under Lutz and I remember Ironton having some dandy basketball teams... Weights are not the issue is IMO...

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Valenth wrote:This weight room closure would NEVER Happen if Lutz was still head coach.

And that being said... Those boys lifted all season under Lutz and I remember Ironton having some dandy basketball teams... Weights are not the issue is IMO...
I'm going to have to agree 100% with this Valenth.

Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded! ~Lawrence M. Krauss
Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

I mean... of ALL THE YEARS that Ironton Football has been a household name in Southern Ohio... now making this drastic change? Something is NOT adding up... theres something deeper than just weights.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Valenth wrote:This weight room closure would NEVER Happen if Lutz was still head coach.

I agree. I was only there till I was a sophomore. and I blew out my knee and headed to the local vocational school and took up welding.and actually I started lifting weights in like 4th grade as crazy as that is. popa bait had an ole joe weider steel weight set. and the subdivision I grew up in houses were going up like crazy. they used to let us local young'uns take scrap wood they tossed aside. I packed home board after board and my dad built us a weight bench out of wood. and lined the top of the weight rest with thick steel bands so the wood could not split. heck we even made a shelf underneath where you laid to store the weights. dad's garage was one of the most popular around as half the neighborhood kids came and messed with the weights.

I wrestled, was on the track team--as a tosser. and played football. but we rode our bike from west ironton to ironton high almost every day during the open gym to lift. we lifted all summer. we lifted for track, wrestling and football.and we lifted a lot in gym class. in short we lifted all the time. my sophomore class I had a study hall at the end of the day. and I actually did not go to study hall and lifted until that period was over and got dressed afterwards for football practice.and we had awesome basketball teams at ironton in the 70's. and at ironton back then you played 3 sports to keep you too busy to get in trouble. and everybody lifted and everybody played multiple sports. that's why I have such a hard time believing that it affects a basketball team so much.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and my question is, as some of the latter posts are actually indicating this might have actually happened is why exactly.i have no idea how this can be seen as advantageous

The Inspector
Varsity

Post by The Inspector »

Bob would talk about it at a coaching clinic.

Stan_Marsh
JV Team

Post by Stan_Marsh »

The argument of lifting messes up your shot is equivalent to trying to say suicides will slow you down due to it tiring your legs. This is a goofy argument. Your shot in basketball comes from technique and being discipline enough to take a proper shot the same way each and every time, now obviously I can see where it's a bad idea to lift the day of a game and even the day before, but any other day why not? Football players lift during football season and does this mess up the quarterbacks ability to throw the football? Again like many have said, say the basketball players aren't aloud to lift, I disagree with that thought process, but know many schools that follow it, STILL why can't those who don't play basketball lift? Will it mess up there student section chants?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I agree.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

Agreed

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I heard the weight room was opened back up. The rumor is that the High school principal is running the program. I appreciate him taking this on but where is the Head Football Coach! :o

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Rumor I heard was its open, but, no lifting only pylons tricks and running no lifting.

BobSugar
Riding the Bench

Post by BobSugar »

Tigercannon71 wrote:Rumor I heard was its open, but, no lifting only pylons tricks and running no lifting.
What are "pylons tricks" ? Must be something new.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

BobSugar wrote:
Tigercannon71 wrote:Rumor I heard was its open, but, no lifting only pylons tricks and running no lifting.
What are "pylons tricks" ? Must be something new.

It's like juggling and stuff. Hahaha no stupid autocorrect I meant plyometrics.

Return to “Football”