Southern Cal ( USC) making a SECOND VISIT to Ironton Football this week

paulwheeler
Riding the Bench

Re: Southern Cal ( USC) making a SECOND VISIT to Ironton Football this week

Post by paulwheeler »

It's amazing how many people get on here just to throw hate at kids for colleges coming to see them.

LockHerUp
Freshman Team

Post by LockHerUp »

"The Burg coach “living in the dark ages” has a state ring. How about Pendleton?"

I'm no Pendleton fan. But, how many finals appearances does Woodward have ? What's their head-to-head record against each other ? Ironton and Pendleton have doubtlessly been more successful these last few years. You burg fans are delusional if you think otherwise.

BTW, I'm not knocking Woodward. I've met him...seemed like a great guy - and obviously a heck of a coach. I've heard nothing bad about him. Now - as for arrogant burg fans...that's another story.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

LockHerUp wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:46 pm "The Burg coach “living in the dark ages” has a state ring. How about Pendleton?"

I'm no Pendleton fan. But, how many finals appearances does Woodward have ? What's their head-to-head record against each other ? Ironton and Pendleton have doubtlessly been more successful these last few years. You burg fans are delusional if you think otherwise.

BTW, I'm not knocking Woodward. I've met him...seemed like a great guy - and obviously a heck of a coach. I've heard nothing bad about him. Now - as for arrogant burg fans...that's another story.
IHS has been successful because they’ve had the most talented roster in D5 every year of Pendleton’s tenure (other than his first year). No other D5 school has anything close to the talent IHS has had.

But despite this talent, the IHS coaches have not been able to win the big game. Frankly haven’t even been close in their last two appearances despite having the best players.

Take the 38-0 loss to Kirtland…. Only one player on that Kirtland team is playing college ball, and he went to John Carroll!! IHS had the top players on the field but came into that game with a terrible offensive game plan, and the results showed it. That was a massive coaching failure on IHS’s part to lose that game so badly given the talent IHS had.

The playoff loss to Burg. Again, IHS had a massive talent advantage and a 14-3 lead after Q1. Yet still lost that game to Burg. I have no idea how Pendleton managed to hose that game up so badly.

Now here we are in 2024. Once again, IHS will have the superior team on paper versus any other team in D5. Not only lots of talent but a senior heavy team as well. If Pendleton can’t win a title with this team, he’ll never win a title.

So when comparing Woodward to Pendleton… Woodward is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination (and I have been critical at times), but he typically gets the most out of his talent. Pendleton, while being great at selling IHS football, has failed to get the most out of the talent he’s had.

What’s amazing with IHS fans is how the bar has dropped so low. I recall the Lutz days when IHS fans were ready to run him out of town for losing close state championship games. They were livid! Now, IHS football gets blown out in state title games despite having so much talent, yet IHS fans are delighted; little to no criticism. Times have definitely changed!

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

RBH23 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:24 pm
LockHerUp wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:46 pm "The Burg coach “living in the dark ages” has a state ring. How about Pendleton?"

IHS has been successful because they’ve had the most talented roster in D5 every year of Pendleton’s tenure (other than his first year). No other D5 school has anything close to the talent IHS has had.

But despite this talent, the IHS coaches have not been able to win the big game. Frankly haven’t even been close in their last two appearances despite having the best players.

Take the 38-0 loss to Kirtland…. Only one player on that Kirtland team is playing college ball, and he went to John Carroll!! IHS had the top players on the field but came into that game with a terrible offensive game plan, and the results showed it. That was a massive coaching failure on IHS’s part to lose that game so badly given the talent IHS had.

The playoff loss to Burg. Again, IHS had a massive talent advantage and a 14-3 lead after Q1. Yet still lost that game to Burg. I have no idea how Pendleton managed to hose that game up so badly.

Now here we are in 2024. Once again, IHS will have the superior team on paper versus any other team in D5. Not only lots of talent but a senior heavy team as well. If Pendleton can’t win a title with this team, he’ll never win a title.

So when comparing Woodward to Pendleton… Woodward is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination (and I have been critical at times), but he typically gets the most out of his talent. Pendleton, while being great at selling IHS football, has failed to get the most out of the talent he’s had.

What’s amazing with IHS fans is how the bar has dropped so low. I recall the Lutz days when IHS fans were ready to run him out of town for losing close state championship games. They were livid! Now, IHS football gets blown out in state title games despite having so much talent, yet IHS fans are delighted; little to no criticism. Times have definitely changed!
You are so full of yourself.

No body was wanting to run Lutz out of town he was at Ironton for over 30 years. By the way when did we lower the bar!! Wheelersburg was in delight when Vass was coaching and the fans moved on from him because he lower the bar. So we are not wanting to run this coach out of town you say lowers the bar! Look in the mirror, Wheelersburg they really have really lower the bar period what was the last big game they have won!

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

Ironton does not have an overall talent advantage in D5.When you get to the final 8,the talent level is pretty even.Why?You play 11 at a time.Yeah,Ironton gets a couple of D1 players each year but a bunch of good players on a team can neutralize them. :roll:

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

osu 77 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:17 am
RBH23 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:24 pm

You are so full of yourself.

No body was wanting to run Lutz out of town he was at Ironton for over 30 years. By the way when did we lower the bar!! Wheelersburg was in delight when Vass was coaching and the fans moved on from him because he lower the bar. So we are not wanting to run this coach out of town you say lowers the bar! Look in the mirror, Wheelersburg they really have really lower the bar period what was the last big game they have won!
Why am I full of myself? For stating the obvious about Pendleton?

As for Lutz, I knew a lot of Ironton people during that time that I met at OU Southern and also met in Athens. Can’t speak for all IHS fans but those I did know were really upset not winning a state title during Jackson’s senior year. Were very critical of the play calling during that title game and questioning Lutz’s decisions. Not saying they wanted him fired, but the fans were really upset with him. Fortunately online media didn’t exist then, or it would have been ugly.

Heard less from them after the loss to Sandusky Perkins mostly because they felt they were lucky to have gotten past VV that year. Obviously weren’t happy with the failed 4th and 1 call but felt the refs blew that one.

As for last big game Burg won? 2017 for the state title. When’s the last time IHS won a game like that?

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

artisgilmore wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:27 am Ironton does not have an overall talent advantage in D5.When you get to the final 8,the talent level is pretty even.Why?You play 11 at a time.Yeah,Ironton gets a couple of D1 players each year but a bunch of good players on a team can neutralize them. :roll:
Go back and look at the lineups between Kirtland and IHS. That IHS team didn’t just have a couple D1 players. They were loaded with D1 talent! IHS, on paper, had the best 5-10 players on the field! Losing 38-0 even with a running clock given that much talent is ridiculous.

Btw, even at the D2 high school levels, a D1 talented running back can own the game. We’ve seen time and time again one player just dominate even in the state finals. At the D5 level? A D1 talent should look like Bo Jackson in the original Tecmo Bowl! A D5 school with multiple D1 talented players? Shouldn’t be a contest.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

RBH23 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:41 am
artisgilmore wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:27 am Ironton does not have an overall talent advantage in D5.When you get to the final 8,the talent level is pretty even.Why?You play 11 at a time.Yeah,Ironton gets a couple of D1 players each year but a bunch of good players on a team can neutralize them. :roll:
Go back and look at the lineups between Kirtland and IHS. That IHS team didn’t just have a couple D1 players. They were loaded with D1 talent! IHS, on paper, had the best 5-10 players on the field! Losing 38-0 even with a running clock given that much talent is ridiculous.

Btw, even at the D2 high school levels, a D1 talented running back can own the game. We’ve seen time and time again one player just dominate even in the state finals. At the D5 level? A D1 talent should look like Bo Jackson in the original Tecmo Bowl! A D5 school with multiple D1 talented players? Shouldn’t be a contest.
You just don’t get it,because you don’t want to get it. ;)

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

They lost that game,didn’t they?You made my point.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

artisgilmore wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:00 am They lost that game,didn’t they?You made my point.
They lost because they had a terrible offensive game plan. Actually, I’m not sure they had a plan at all other than “toss the ball to Carrico and hope he makes a play.”

Now let’s consider the 2018 state title game won by Orville. They had a dynamic RB (Parks) that was having an incredible year going into the finals. Was nearly unstoppable. In the finals, he had almost 200 yards of rushing and 3 TDs. But why Orville won was because of a wrinkle they had not shown all year: the QB running the ball. He went off for over 200 yards and 4 rushing TDs, almost matching his output for the entire year. Johnstown was completely caught off guard and had no idea what to do on D. It was a brilliant game plan.

Ask yourself, has Pendleton ever put together a brilliant offensive game plan in his trips to the finals? All the talent IHS has produced and not once have we seen brilliance on O in the big game.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

No excuses for the mid west all stars.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast

Return to “Football”