November 3, 2023 Ironton 37 - 28 Heath

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Re: Heath @ Ironton

Post by Bfan99 »

XandOs wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:13 am Those times that were posted were stop watch and said in the post. You can add .2 to any stop watch time compared to NFL Laser times.

If memory serves me right they only had 3 guys in that 40
Time being discussed.

Shaun Terry- Fastest Football player in Southern Ohio. Don’t need track times. Easy to see with own two eyes.

Pittman- 6’2-6’3 kid that runs well. Thought they had him in high 4.5 range. Which means closer to 4.7

Johnson- DB. Might be fastest straight line kid on team. 6’3 corner and no one seems to create any separation. His family were all track stars. His dad I believe won the state in 100
Meter at SP.
A lot of the players listed above have verified laser times from camps they attended in the offseason. My point of the comment was to highlight Ironton does have speed 4.5 -4-7.

benrob713
Waterboy

Post by benrob713 »

Both of the losses that Heath suffered were due to turnovers and they had a lot of self-inflicted errors. Heath has to be clean to have a chance. The QB Bayless can make plays but has made some careless throws at times. He has to protect the ball. I’m going Ironton 30-22.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

Heath’s offense will be a good test for the Tigers. Heath’s SR QB Bayles has impressive stats and is listed as a 4.5 speed guy (which is probably 4.8) 😂. The LBs and DBs will be tested.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

40 yard dash speed is over rated in football. Burg had a state 100/200/400 won the state in the 400. kid who went to Tennesee on a track scholarship. Fastest kid in Burg track history. He was an average football player.

I'll take quick twitch, quick decision-making, and strength over being fast any day. That's why Terry and Warren from Burg are really good. Both can stop on dimes and go quick again.

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

XandOs wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:13 am Those times that were posted were stop watch and said in the post. You can add .2 to any stop watch time compared to NFL Laser times.

Time being discussed.

Shaun Terry- Fastest Football player in Southern Ohio. Don’t need track times. Easy to see with own two eyes.

Pittman- 6’2-6’3 kid that runs well. Thought they had him in high 4.5 range. Which means closer to 4.7

Johnson- DB. Might be fastest straight line kid on team. 6’3 corner and no one seems to create any separation. His family were all track stars. His dad I believe won the state in 100
Meter at SP.
Terry is hyper quick in space, which is a great football trait and the reason he’s breaking so many runs open and a reason to never play tag with someone like him. With the growing reputation you can literally watch kids freeze up and get on their heels when setting up to tackle him. I wouldn’t be surprised if Pittman, Johnson, Edwards, etc. are actually faster at longer distances as they all look fast at game speed but Terry is special when it comes to twitchiness. If he picks football over basketball for college I could see him becoming a good slot type receiver. He is a nightmare to tackle in the open field. Would love to see them find different ways to get him touches. I’ve watched several Ironton games where teams are stacking 8-9 in the box and coming hard. Used to be a screen pass or short quick crossing routes would stop that but haven’t seen Ironton do those things for a long time

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Time being discussed.

Meter at SP.
Ironton struggles with fundamentals and technique. That's why that speed gets THUMPED and bullied vs Kirtland and South Range and Cabell Midland.

The trick to beating Ironton is to make them sustain drives. They can't do it without making mistakes and turnovers. Give up the intermediate and take away the big play, make em put together drives and watch them kill themselves.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Football speed and track speed are two different things

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

GoBigI wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:23 am
Bfan99 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:42 am
GoBigI wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:07 pm

I’m an Ironton fan, Ironton born and raised. But where is all of this speed people keep mentioning? The only real state class speed on this team is Terry. There are other players who may be OVC fast, but that isn’t “speed”. We have to be able to put some long drives together against stingy defenses. Also, I like Thacker at QB better than Schreck. He throws a much more accurate deep ball. Schreck is an extremely valuable #2 receiver. Behind Terry, we have very little and none on Schreck’s level.
Terry WB/DB, Thacker TE/DE, OLB/WR Pittman, QB/DB Schreck, CB Johnson, HB/MLB Hart, QB/DB Edwards and Sturgil OLB are all starters and graded out with above avarage speed 4.4 - 4.6ish during the offseason but Terry’s speed and ability to go from 0-60 in a blink of a eye sets him apart from everyone. I look for OLB/WR Pittman to fill the void at WR after losing Schreck at WR, he’s capable and has played WR some but mostly has played at OLB. I look for a completely different offense in the playoffs. Last years team had the same question marks with OL play, play calling and penalties and the Ironton staff ran through the playoffs and beat a lot of good teams. Take away the State games and the burg playoff upset, Pendelton has his teams ready for deep playoff runs.
Those alleged 4.4s to 4.6s hand timed become 4.7s to 4.9s on a laser. Again, besides Terry, there is no real speed on this team…yet. Edwards will definitely get there once he becomes more comfortable in the varsity game. He has nice track speed but doesn’t play fast yet. There is only one young man you mentioned running a true 4.5-4.6 and that is Terry. When Ironton runs into a good defense, and that may be this week, they’ll have to sustain drives. They will not beat good teams with big plays alone. A good mix of Williams, Carmon, and Copas with a QB run and the intermediate pass game will open things up for Terry deep. I believe he needs 10-12 touches per game, not counting special teams. And to compare last year’s team with this year’s team is laughable. The difference in talent level are night and day.
That sounds about right. No doubt about Terry. He’s different level fast and quick.

And to the comment that “coaches exaggerate 40’s”… I saw that first hand at Burg. A kid was timed at 4.4 when he nearly fell coming out of the block. This kid was really fast and did play college ball, but that was definitely not a 4.4 run.

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

Need some work along the line of scrimmage to compete with the NEO teams. I know the prevailing thought is that they can’t compete with those teams but they used to. Lutz won a couple and lost several heartbreakers in the finals but they were generally low scoring close games. Games like that point to grind it out, field position, ball control teams. Ironton can match any D5 team in the skill positions, just have to get better up front. Don’t think it’s going to happen this year but the roster is full of very large kids freshmen through juniors who if they’ll stick with the current weight room development could certainly get it done if they can simply minimize silly mistakes and play as a unit a la Kirtland or Marion Local

Tri_State790
Varsity

Post by Tri_State790 »

Outoftowner wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:25 pm Need some work along the line of scrimmage to compete with the NEO teams. I know the prevailing thought is that they can’t compete with those teams but they used to. Lutz won a couple and lost several heartbreakers in the finals but they were generally low scoring close games. Games like that point to grind it out, field position, ball control teams. Ironton can match any D5 team in the skill positions, just have to get better up front. Don’t think it’s going to happen this year but the roster is full of very large kids freshmen through juniors who if they’ll stick with the current weight room development could certainly get it done if they can simply minimize silly mistakes and play as a unit a la Kirtland or Marion Local
Lutz had a losing record vs NEO also. They've always had Irontons number.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:10 pm
Outoftowner wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:25 pm Need some work along the line of scrimmage to compete with the NEO teams. I know the prevailing thought is that they can’t compete with those teams but they used to. Lutz won a couple and lost several heartbreakers in the finals but they were generally low scoring close games. Games like that point to grind it out, field position, ball control teams. Ironton can match any D5 team in the skill positions, just have to get better up front. Don’t think it’s going to happen this year but the roster is full of very large kids freshmen through juniors who if they’ll stick with the current weight room development could certainly get it done if they can simply minimize silly mistakes and play as a unit a la Kirtland or Marion Local
Big difference from then to now:
1. Lutz rarely got blown out. Only exception was the loaded MLC team. Pendleton hasn’t seen a team like that, including Moeller.
2. Lutz had talented teams but often played against teams with more talent. Pendleton has always had the more talented team.
3. IHS was a bigger school but also played against bigger teams given there were fewer divisions.
4. Football in NEO was far better back then. That area has been decimated over the years, especially Youngstown.

Kirtland and ML weren’t even on Lutz’s radar. Those schools could not have handled Ironton back then. Hell, Kirtland never won a playoff game until their current coach came onboard. ML was decent but didn’t win state titles until their current coach took over.

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

Tough luck for sure. I attended the Wauseon and Sandusky Perkins losses. Always felt Ironton should have won those two as it just felt like they were the better team. One of those was on Lutz for a questionable coaching call and one due to a questionable official call. Couple of close losses to Saint V&M where they lost by a score to a team that was likely a little better but not much but made for great games. Earlier losses to Benedictine and Mentor Lake Catholic were like the second Kirtland and last years South Range losses, games they were either severely overmatched or out coached. That’s a 6 to 4 advantage in competitive games. Not bad for a bunch of river kids

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:27 pm
1. Lutz rarely got blown out. Only exception was the loaded MLC team. Pendleton hasn’t seen a team like that, including Moeller.
2. Lutz had talented teams but often played against teams with more talent. Pendleton has always had the more talented team.
3. IHS was a bigger school but also played against bigger teams given there were fewer divisions.
4. Football in NEO was far better back then. That area has been decimated over the years, especially Youngstown.

Kirtland and ML weren’t even on Lutz’s radar. Those schools could not have handled Ironton back then. Hell, Kirtland never won a playoff game until their current coach came onboard. ML was decent but didn’t win state titles until their current coach took over.
My dad went to the Benedictine game. He always said Ironton had no business being on the field with them. I’ve heard others say they were the best team in the state that year

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

Outoftowner wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:42 pm

My dad went to the Benedictine game. He always said Ironton had no business being on the field with them. I’ve heard others say they were the best team in the state that year
28-13, Lutz and the Tigers kept it respectable.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:30 pm Football speed and track speed are two different things
You are exactly right

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
gobucs20
JV Team

Post by gobucs20 »

Tri_State790 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:19 pm

Time being discussed.

Meter at SP.
Ironton struggles with fundamentals and technique. That's why that speed gets THUMPED and bullied vs Kirtland and South Range and Cabell Midland.

The trick to beating Ironton is to make them sustain drives. They can't do it without making mistakes and turnovers. Give up the intermediate and take away the big play, make em put together drives and watch them kill themselves.
Ironton got bullied by kirtland twice and south range once but they beat themselves against midland by turning the ball over.

paulwheeler
Riding the Bench

Post by paulwheeler »

Tri_State790 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:19 pm

Time being discussed.

Meter at SP.

Easier said than done!

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Blowout

Old Time Tiger
Waterboy

Post by Old Time Tiger »

522Pirate wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:06 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:18 pm The problem with heath is they fold like used lawn chairs. If Ironton gets up a touchdown or two, Heath will probably give up and Ironton will eventually run away with it. It might be competitive early but watch what heath does when they get behind.
A dreamsicle on a summer night
In a folding lawn chair
Witches ring around the moon
Better get home soon
One of my favorite JI & 400U songs.. well done..pirate ...Go big I..
Ironton by 14

Outoftowner
Riding the Bench

Post by Outoftowner »

RBH23 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:28 pm
Outoftowner wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:42 pm

28-13, Lutz and the Tigers kept it respectable.
Believe it was 38-13, and not that close according to my dad who’s watched a lot of football in his life. If you go to the state finals as many times as Ironton has you’re going to run into a buzz saw from time to time. This new version under Pendleton is obviously different. Likely better overall skill players but the discipline and execution are certainly not as good. They played a lot of tight games up north under Lutz where it felt like they had a chance to win. Until the current regime can clean up miscues and get the lines to play as a unit they will likely struggle against good teams. I also give them a little pass due to youth. Watching one of the previous games I noticed they only started 5 or 6 seniors. I think they’ll have a legitimate shot in the next couple of years if they all stick together and keep working. This includes the coaching staff. Never stop learning.

Return to “Football”