October 6, 2023 Fairland 43 - 27 Portsmouth

baseballfanatic76
Waterboy

Re: October 6, 2023 Fairland 43 - 27 Portsmouth

Post by baseballfanatic76 »

TrojanTru wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:29 pm
RealTrojan wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:04 pm I've seen comments about being "ecstatic" about winning 4 or 5 games and wasn't expecting to win. This is the problem with our program at the moment. When has that ever been ok? You prepare every week and expect to win every game! Mediocre is not ok. Let's stop letting our kids think that also.
Pleaseeeeeee

But I'd like to ask, when are we going to make adjustments and get away from what has burnt us since week 2 and 3? Our secondary isn't very good but why not put them in a position to help them and the team as a whole? Get out of press man to man. That's hurt us all year. Add a little bit more of zone maybe. Stop asking linebackers to cover receivers in open field 1 on 1. Make it somewhat more simple for them.
Hats off to Chase Heiland. He runs hard, has speed, and gives it his all. But our offense is one dimensional. Find Chase and the ball is coming. Id like to see stats but correct me if I'm wrong but I think we had 4 kids touch the ball and one kid was only 1 time. Why not make it easier for the run game? Hit some quick easy reads for the QB, spread it out and that'll keep defenses honest and help get us more in rhythm. I believe we have other playmakers too. I know ppl like to use the excuse that our QB is a freshman but that was week 8 going into week 9, that freshman bull is out the window now. He's a SMART and he's a TOUGH kid. Hold him accountable. Lay into him a little bit and he'll rise to the occasion.
You and PTrojan59 are correct. 100%. That he’s a freshman bull only works as an excuse for the first couple of weeks.
Are we young, yes, across the board. I think we have about 6-7 sophomores starting on either side of the ball. I like the big package Bruce ran with Poxes moving to FB and the big #75 coming in to replace him. I’d like to see Bruce run some quick screens for Heiland out if that package with the receivers and the extra backs being the lead blockers.
Quit rolling your QB to the weak side, when your line itself is struggling to sustain their blocks. Another thing your QB has a run first mentality, it’s a lot of misreads, or maybe he just wants to keep the ball, so yes as you stated lay into him, hold him accountable. Spend time with the JV team, find them a coach that is capable of developing them and bringing out the best in them. They operate on talent alone. They’re a solid group but that coach is not a vibe at all. It’s not illegal to let him go. We don’t care about his booster money, if he wants to take his ball and go home. Let him.
Clean it up and do what’s best for these kids. I like Kalb, and the Duncan’s, I do, but you can’t convince me the likes of Alex Grashel, Michael Sturgill, the fresh out of high school Duncan kids and Drew Roe are more fit to coach than the Parker’s (pick one), Akia Brown or David Mallory?
Break up your little buddy system and let’s get some knowledgeable men who the kids with play for and respect in a position to make your job a little easier Kalb. We shouldn’t be heading into week 9 still trying to develop and teach varsity age kids football fundamentals.
Kids dont wanna play for dudes that arent certified and have no business being around kids 🤣🤣🤣

TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

baseballfanatic76 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:45 pm
RealTrojan wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:04 pm I've seen comments about being "ecstatic" about winning 4 or 5 games and wasn't expecting to win. This is the problem with our program at the moment. When has that ever been ok? You prepare every week and expect to win every game! Mediocre is not ok. Let's stop letting our kids think that also.
Pleaseeeeeee

But I'd like to ask, when are we going to make adjustments and get away from what has burnt us since week 2 and 3? Our secondary isn't very good but why not put them in a position to help them and the team as a whole? Get out of press man to man. That's hurt us all year. Add a little bit more of zone maybe. Stop asking linebackers to cover receivers in open field 1 on 1. Make it somewhat more simple for them.
Hats off to Chase Heiland. He runs hard, has speed, and gives it his all. But our offense is one dimensional. Find Chase and the ball is coming. Id like to see stats but correct me if I'm wrong but I think we had 4 kids touch the ball and one kid was only 1 time. Why not make it easier for the run game? Hit some quick easy reads for the QB, spread it out and that'll keep defenses honest and help get us more in rhythm. I believe we have other playmakers too. I know ppl like to use the excuse that our QB is a freshman but that was week 8 going into week 9, that freshman bull is out the window now. He's a SMART and he's a TOUGH kid. Hold him accountable. Lay into him a little bit and he'll rise to the occasion.
You and PTrojan59 are correct. 100%. That he’s a freshman bull only works as an excuse for the first couple of weeks.
Are we young, yes, across the board. I think we have about 6-7 sophomores starting on either side of the ball. I like the big package Bruce ran with Poxes moving to FB and the big #75 coming in to replace him. I’d like to see Bruce run some quick screens for Heiland out if that package with the receivers and the extra backs being the lead blockers.
Quit rolling your QB to the weak side, when your line itself is struggling to sustain their blocks. Another thing your QB has a run first mentality, it’s a lot of misreads, or maybe he just wants to keep the ball, so yes as you stated lay into him, hold him accountable. Spend time with the JV team, find them a coach that is capable of developing them and bringing out the best in them. They operate on talent alone. They’re a solid group but that coach is not a vibe at all. It’s not illegal to let him go. We don’t care about his booster money, if he wants to take his ball and go home. Let him.
Clean it up and do what’s best for these kids. I like Kalb, and the Duncan’s, I do, but you can’t convince me the likes of Alex Grashel, Michael Sturgill, the fresh out of high school Duncan kids and Drew Roe are more fit to coach than the Parker’s (pick one), Akia Brown or David Mallory?
Break up your little buddy system and let’s get some knowledgeable men who the kids with play for and respect in a position to make your job a little easier Kalb. We shouldn’t be heading into week 9 still trying to develop and teach varsity age kids football fundamentals.
Kids dont wanna play for dudes that arent certified and have no business being around kids 🤣🤣🤣
That must be why you have less than 20 kids on Portsmouth’s junior high team the past few seasons. A COMBINED 7th and 8th grade team, with less than 20 players at Portsmouth. So who don’t they want to play for?? 🤔🤔🤔
Never would I have imagined, Portsmouth would be struggling to field A junior high football team. I’m not even asking that they win consistently, but 15-17 between BOTH grades is laughable. Truth hurts doesn’t it?
I’m almost positive that all of the above mentioned men are affiliated with teams, albeit they are peewee teams, but they are affiliated with teams our peewee teams are ducking, and losing players to their programs year in and year out. Apparently kids and their parents DO want to play for those men, that’s the exact reason why we went intra league, because we couldn’t compete anymore. Say what you want, but peewee and junior high is the pipeline to our highschool team.
You keep being “ecstatic” with our daddy ball, buddy system, 4 or 5 win seasons, barely making the playoffs and 30 point losses to OVC teams while beating up on Lucasville Valley. I’m not.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

TrojanTru wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:45 pm
That must be why you have less than 20 kids on Portsmouth’s junior high team the past few seasons. A COMBINED 7th and 8th grade team, with less than 20 players at Portsmouth. So who don’t they want to play for?? 🤔🤔🤔
Never would I have imagined, Portsmouth would be struggling to field A junior high football team. I’m not even asking that they win consistently, but 15-17 between BOTH grades is laughable. Truth hurts doesn’t it?
I’m almost positive that all of the above mentioned men are affiliated with teams, albeit they are peewee teams, but they are affiliated with teams our peewee teams are ducking, and losing players to their programs year in and year out. Apparently kids and their parents DO want to play for those men, that’s the exact reason why we went intra league, because we couldn’t compete anymore. Say what you want, but peewee and junior high is the pipeline to our highschool team.
You keep being “ecstatic” with our daddy ball, buddy system, 4 or 5 win seasons, barely making the playoffs and 30 point losses to OVC teams while beating up on Lucasville Valley. I’m not.
Bingo, it all starts at the lower levels. I’m seeing stuff that I learned in the 3rd grade happen on Friday nights. Arm tackle after arm tackle, kids running the ball by putting the head down and not trying to find a hole, and the main one is the fact that they always feel the need to field every single punt. You don’t have to touch it, you can call a fair catch. It’s the little things that make me question the youth system, and then on up the ladder. Now is it the kids not wanting to play for the men mentioned above or is it their parents? Myself I want my kid to take in all the football knowledge as possible. There’s some younger guys on the staff that were mentioned who were good players but they aren’t coaching yet, some guys in the staff who seem to just be there to hang out and get a good view of the games. Won’t name who he was, but a certain coach was more worried about stuff going on off the field at Fairland than the actual product on the field.

Who Dey!
baseballfanatic76
Waterboy

Post by baseballfanatic76 »

TrojanTru wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:45 pm
Go join the staff trojantru they NEED YOU

RJShifko
Riding the Bench

Post by RJShifko »

Turning point in this game was the opening drive of the second half Portsmouth comes out and runs a drive with a 19-14 lead and eat up 6 minutes of clock or close to it. They are driving into Fairland territory and get to an 3rd and short. Momentum down and it looks like Portsmouth goes back to the same power run they used almost the entire drive. Then the 4th and short go to the same play. The Fairland D line blew up both plays at the line. That’s the knowing how to win a game that for Portsmouth you hope will come from the young guys gaining experience. That drive changes the whole game if your Portsmouth you go score you are up 2 possessions. Have to think as well as you ran the ball you could have dialed up a play action pass or used the heavy run game and had a counter off the power to slow down the Fairland penetration at the LOS. If your Portsmouth that has to be the drive you keep playing over and over in your head

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

RJShifko wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:47 pm Turning point in this game was the opening drive of the second half Portsmouth comes out and runs a drive with a 19-14 lead and eat up 6 minutes of clock or close to it. They are driving into Fairland territory and get to an 3rd and short. Momentum down and it looks like Portsmouth goes back to the same power run they used almost the entire drive. Then the 4th and short go to the same play. The Fairland D line blew up both plays at the line. That’s the knowing how to win a game that for Portsmouth you hope will come from the young guys gaining experience. That drive changes the whole game if your Portsmouth you go score you are up 2 possessions. Have to think as well as you ran the ball you could have dialed up a play action pass or used the heavy run game and had a counter off the power to slow down the Fairland penetration at the LOS. If your Portsmouth that has to be the drive you keep playing over and over in your head
I had all my fingers crossed that our Trojans would put up a score after half, to turn the momentum heavily in our favor. Oh how I wanted that for them. Hats off to Portsmouth for that first half of play. Left a few points on the board but the kids dug deep and played defense in the crucial moments of the first half. I was surprised by the discipline of special teams on a few of the kickoffs. Portsmouth usually is head down, no sense of direction, running downfield, but a couple times those younger guys played their position, with discipline and pride and made the stop. There are a lot of bright spots in tha younger group of frosh and sophomores.

Return to “Football”