September 29, 2023 Waverly 33 - 7 Minford

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: September 29, 2023 Waverly 33 - 7 Minford

Post by smurray »

Play Breakdown Summary (Final)

The Automated ScoreBook

Minford Falcons vs Waverly Tigers (Sep 29, 2023 at Waverly High School)

Minford Falcons Waverly Tigers

Down RUN PASS Total Down RUN PASS Total

OVERALL.......... 25 33 58 OVERALL.......... 45 14 59

1ST DOWN......... 14 10 24 1ST DOWN......... 23 5 28

2ND DOWN-SHORT... 2 0 2 2ND DOWN-SHORT... 1 0 1

2ND DOWN-MIDDLE.. 2 2 4 2ND DOWN-MIDDLE.. 2 2 4

2ND DOWN-LONG.... 5 7 12 2ND DOWN-LONG.... 12 2 14

3RD DOWN-SHORT... 0 0 0 3RD DOWN-SHORT... 2 1 3

3RD DOWN-MIDDLE.. 0 1 1 3RD DOWN-MIDDLE.. 1 0 1

3RD DOWN-LONG.... 1 12 13 3RD DOWN-LONG.... 3 3 6

4TH DOWN......... 1 1 2 4TH DOWN......... 1 1 2

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Re: September 29, 2023 Waverly - Minford

Post by Tigernation2021 »

smurray wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:13 am
YouCantBeSerious wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:07 am
smurray wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:02 pm

Plenty for the Tigers to work on for next week. The 3rd quarter was sleep walking (after 26-0 first half). Should have been a running clock and getting some back ups in but Waverly's offense took the 3rd quarter off. Of course, Waverly was missing their #1 WR so that did make a difference.
Jase Hurd with over 300 yards rushing and over 1,000 on the year.

The Minford 3rd down screens were obvious but they worked every time for some reason - that must be fixed... Tiger Defense was also missing a starting DE.

All in all it's a comfortable win and everybody healthy for next week.
Well I don’t think the missing players last night would have made a huge difference if they played. There wasn’t really a ton of opportunities to take deep shots nor any reason to. The running game was working and the other WRs played well for what they were asked to do. Personally I would rather see them lean on the run game if it is working and let Hurd be the works horse as much as he can handle, Smith is a solid backup that can take some off Hurd if need be. Idk what the ratio was for run/pass plays but it seemed like it was lopsided with run plays, which I believe is how this offense should operate if the defense will allow it.

Everyone who was asked to step up and get more playing time for the missing players did a great job. This could be something they are asked to do as the season continues so they will need to keep stepping up and answer the call.
I totally agree we need to lean more to the running game, but I was talking more about things to work on for next week at Wheelersburg. Not having the WR in question did absolutely change the play calling - that's not taking away from what the players did last night. The ratio last night was where I'd love to see - probably 3 to 1 runs with Hurd and Smith.
It made the play calling better instead of trying to force things. 487 yards of offense, rushing game going, QB goes 11-14 for little over 10 yards a completion, that's called being EXTREMLY efficient on the offensive side of the ball as it was taking what the defense gave. 1 punt on the nigh. IF you had seen anything on Minford going into the game and if you watched their DBs they play in a way not to give up the big play over the top. Problem with that everything else is open and they're not solid enough up front to stop the run nor apply pressure to the QB, so it's almost like they play a style of defense where they're banking on you making a mistake. Hopefully there was a lot learned from the play caller in this game and it continues regardless of who's out there.

Return to “Football”