Time for Saint Joe to bring back football?

Mr Shifty
Riding the Bench

Re: Time for Saint Joe to bring back football?

Post by Mr Shifty »

Years ago there was rumor or speculation that St Joe and Holy Family would form a team and that Coach Lutz would coach there the first few years. Now, whether that was just rumors or really being researched I cannot say.

River Rat Ray probably knows as he's alumni and played football there. It cost far less back then as they still had leather helmets. If you talk to him and he gets confused? Well, those leather helmets were not very effective. So, be patient with the old fellar

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

If St Jude starts up again, we want to play. Love smacking that private school asz.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Mr Shifty wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:04 am Years ago there was rumor or speculation that St Joe and Holy Family would form a team and that Coach Lutz would coach there the first few years. Now, whether that was just rumors or really being researched I cannot say.

River Rat Ray probably knows as he's alumni and played football there. It cost far less back then as they still had leather helmets. If you talk to him and he gets confused? Well, those leather helmets were not very effective. So, be patient with the old fellar
I was also told something like that but it also involved Huntington St Joe. My family doctor told me that the plan was to build a high school in South Point and call it Blessed Trinty. It was supposedly killed by the Diocese of Wheeling. Yes he also said that they would build their own football facility and they would get Bob Lutz to coach it. I ask him about finances and the way he talked it was available.

I'll have you know we had those new fangled hard plastic helmets but no protective bar on the front. The confusion I have is due to being 84 years old. LOL

When I was at St Joe I believe it was my Junior year. We had 28 boys in high school and 26 played football. There were only 3 Senior boys that year and only 2 played. Gene Rambacher was head coach and Roy Riley and Bob Haas were his assistants.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

RiverRatRay wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:25 pm
Mr Shifty wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:04 am Years ago there was rumor or speculation that St Joe and Holy Family would form a team and that Coach Lutz would coach there the first few years. Now, whether that was just rumors or really being researched I cannot say.

I was also told something like that but it also involved Huntington St Joe. My family doctor told me that the plan was to build a high school in South Point and call it Blessed Trinty. It was supposedly killed by the Diocese of Wheeling. Yes he also said that they would build their own football facility and they would get Bob Lutz to coach it. I ask him about finances and the way he talked it was available.

I'll have you know we had those new fangled hard plastic helmets but no protective bar on the front. The confusion I have is due to being 84 years old. LOL

When I was at St Joe I believe it was my Junior year. We had 28 boys in high school and 26 played football. There were only 3 Senior boys that year and only 2 played. Gene Rambacher was head coach and Roy Riley and Bob Haas were his assistants.
I was thinking earlier that South Point would’ve been a fantastic location for a school to service Lawrence County and OH/KY/WV tri-state area. It’s a shame that it never happened.

Old Shorts
Freshman Team

Post by Old Shorts »

formerfcfan wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:48 pm
RiverRatRay wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:25 pm

I was thinking earlier that South Point would’ve been a fantastic location for a school to service Lawrence County and OH/KY/WV tri-state area. It’s a shame that it never happened.
They don’t need SP. Ironton High School serves all those areas now. 😂

"Rocking a pair of 1985 gray coaching shorts that are now yellow in the front and brown in the back" :D

Return to “Football”