August 25, 2023 Zane Trace 28 - 42 Waverly

allaboutsports
Riding the Bench

Re: Week 2: Waverly (0-1) at Zane Trace (0-1)

Post by allaboutsports »

bobcats94 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:15 am I follow basketball much closer then football so I don't catch a lot of the Tigers football games but based on the radio it sounded like last game they had several opportunities to make a big play and fell a little bit short. Dropped passes early, etc. ZT I really believe is outgunned here, unless Waverly has turnovers I don't see them losing. Also, I know in the past Waverly wouldn't let freshman play up but didn't know if there was an exception with a good group of younger kids coming through if they would allow freshman to play? It makes sense to not get your talented young kids hurt but just was curious if I show up tomorrow night who will be on the field.
Waverly doesn't have a freshman good enough to play on the varsity level yet. The only freshman that plays is on the line.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

This one still set at 7 or has it been pushed back?

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

bobcats94 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:15 am I follow basketball much closer then football so I don't catch a lot of the Tigers football games but based on the radio it sounded like last game they had several opportunities to make a big play and fell a little bit short. Dropped passes early, etc. ZT I really believe is outgunned here, unless Waverly has turnovers I don't see them losing. Also, I know in the past Waverly wouldn't let freshman play up but didn't know if there was an exception with a good group of younger kids coming through if they would allow freshman to play? It makes sense to not get your talented young kids hurt but just was curious if I show up tomorrow night who will be on the field.
I don't recall Waverly having a rule against freshman playing varsity as I know of a handful of recent alumni who played all 4 years. However like another poster said, Waverly isn't in a position to have freshman playing besides the offensive lineman. However, if one presents himself as ready and can benefit the team, I'd count on them playing.

I don't see Waverly starting their season 0-2. We did have missed opportunities last week, I thought our gameplan was there just didn't execute at the right times and still battled to the end fighting back twice from being down. Look for the ship to be righted this week and give me a Tiger victory to a score like 36-27

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

allaboutsports wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:16 pm
Waverly doesn't have a freshman good enough to play on the varsity level yet. The only freshman that plays is on the line.
LOL

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Not sure where you got that Waverly wouldn't play freshman, if the kid can play he's going to get out on the field. Right now we've got a freshman playing on the OL, we had a freshman playing CB last year, Zeke Brown I believe started as a freshman, Wyatt Crabtree didn't start right away but did see quite a bit of playing time, Braylon Robertson played a lot as a freshman, so I guess to the point no there's never been a time where Waverly wouldn't play a freshman. Keeping talented kids on the bench because they are freshman wouldn't make a lot of sense.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:31 pm
Not sure where you got that Waverly wouldn't play freshman, if the kid can play he's going to get out on the field. Right now we've got a freshman playing on the OL, we had a freshman playing CB last year, Zeke Brown I believe started as a freshman, Wyatt Crabtree didn't start right away but did see quite a bit of playing time, Braylon Robertson played a lot as a freshman, so I guess to the point no there's never been a time where Waverly wouldn't play a freshman. Keeping talented kids on the bench because they are freshman wouldn't make a lot of sense.
I also saw a freshman in at WR for a few plays and another freshman playing special teams. Those 2 will see more PT and a 3rd could see some PT on the defensive side of the ball.

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

I think you would be naive to think that a 14-15 yr old freshman isn't more likely to get hurt going up against 18 yr olds every Friday night. If I had a very skilled freshman that weighs a buck 50, I would be very hesitant to throw him out there to get hurt his freshman year and get setback his first year of HS football in any other sport this would not be the case. And yes there is the exception of Robertson, Brown, Roback, Kretzer which were not built like a typical incoming Freshman. That's the angle I was coming from, and that "rule" came from a Waverly parent that apparently has no clue what they are talking about. It should be hard for a freshman to get on the field/court with as many older kids they would have to beat out at a school the size of Waverly. But I am going to have to stop listening to a lot of the hype with the freshman group because all you hear is that Waverly has incoming kids that are going to make an impact right away and it seems like that may not be the case.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

bobcats94 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:02 am
I think you would be naive to think that a 14-15 yr old freshman isn't more likely to get hurt going up against 18 yr olds every Friday night. If I had a very skilled freshman that weighs a buck 50, I would be very hesitant to throw him out there to get hurt his freshman year and get setback his first year of HS football in any other sport this would not be the case. And yes there is the exception of Robertson, Brown, Roback, Kretzer which were not built like a typical incoming Freshman. That's the angle I was coming from, and that "rule" came from a Waverly parent that apparently has no clue what they are talking about. It should be hard for a freshman to get on the field/court with as many older kids they would have to beat out at a school the size of Waverly. But I am going to have to stop listening to a lot of the hype with the freshman group because all you hear is that Waverly has incoming kids that are going to make an impact right away and it seems like that may not be the case.
It's football the moment any player steps on that field they all have that chance of an injury but that wasn't what you were talking about though. You said, "I know in the past Waverly wouldn't allow freshman to play". There is some good freshman that are in this group but I think what you're missing out on is that they're not needed to be out there at this point outside of the OL freshman. Injury isn't where you should focus in most cases freshman simply aren't ready to play not right away from a physical standpoint it's just difficult to rely on them to go against juniors and seniors who simply are bigger and stronger. The positions I mentioned are not necessarily guys who are on that LOS and you can get away with using them, for right now they're simply not needed and you'll see some of them on special teams. Not sure what hype you're listening to or what parent but sometimes you've got to take that stuff with a grain of salt especially if they're the one with the freshman that they believe should be out there.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHESlz ... y1xSGhdVcA

Once it goes live that should be the link for livestreaming the game.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Waverly

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:07 pm https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHESlz ... y1xSGhdVcA

Once it goes live that should be the link for livestreaming the game.
Yes, Zane Trace has a Hudl camera on the press box. No sound.

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Post by YouCantBeSerious »

A little surprised this one didn’t get moved back due to heat like many other area games. Will be curious to see what kind of factor the heat plays and if it affects one team more than the other. I’m sure more water breaks will be worked in from the officials.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

YouCantBeSerious wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:13 pm A little surprised this one didn’t get moved back due to heat like many other area games. Will be curious to see what kind of factor the heat plays and if it affects one team more than the other. I’m sure more water breaks will be worked in from the officials.
Waverly is well conditioned, but this heat is excessive. Regardless of the conditioning, they will need to stay well hydrated.
The heat and conditioning could very well be the determining factor in this one.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Good luck Tigers!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

07/00 Waverly

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
petesweaty
All Conference

Post by petesweaty »

ZT recovered a fumble on the Waverly drive and the officials were lost.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

14/00

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

21/00

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

21/07

tigercat74
Riding the Bench

Post by tigercat74 »

Uneducated eye here but it looks like ZT don’t trust their QB to throw the ball down the field.

Return to “Football”