August 25, 2023 Wheelersburg 20 - 17 Cin.McNicholas

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Re: WK 2: Burg vs McNichols

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:17 pm
Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:07 pm yea the blocking on the perimeter is key to this type of offense against a D as fast as Ironton had and McNich will have.
I'd like to see Lattimore line up in the backfield some this week, I think he will tbh.

From what I've been told, McNich has added some serious skill players from last season so those seams are definitely gonna be a concern. I think I like our secondary more this year than last year tho!
McNich had skill to waste last year. Their problem was in the trenches. Burg ran at will.

Hope the coaches will prioritize the run and only pass to keep the D honest.
Yup. Burg needs to play to their strengths and that is a running attack led by committee including QB1. Just enough pass to keep defenses guessing.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

BTWNTHE__ wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:34 pm
Sonny Weaver wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:07 pm yea the blocking on the perimeter is key to this type of offense against a D as fast as Ironton had and McNich will have.
I'd like to see Lattimore line up in the backfield some this week, I think he will tbh.

From what I've been told, McNich has added some serious skill players from last season so those seams are definitely gonna be a concern. I think I like our secondary more this year than last year tho!
McNich had skill to waste last year. Their problem was in the trenches. Burg ran at will.

Yup. Burg needs to play to their strengths and that is a running attack led by committee including QB1. Just enough pass to keep defenses guessing.
Agree!

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

RBH23 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:59 pm
BTWNTHE__ wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:34 pm

Agree!
They can wear alot of teams down with that running attack if done right. Lots of depth to throw at defenses.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg needs to keep mcnicholas skilled kids in check and they can win

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

They have plenty of guys that can run the ball. Warren, Maxie, Darling, Hutchinson.

Need to throw to the TE also. He was wide open over the middle every time. The one time they threw to him the pass was behind him and he almost made a circus catch. Rucker will get better each game.

Let Lattimore return some kicks and or punts. He needs more touches but like someone said, can't overuse him and get him hurt early. You can tell he has talent just have to figure out how to get him involved more.

bringtheheat
Waterboy

Post by bringtheheat »

Burg at home in a close one.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:09 pm They have plenty of guys that can run the ball. Warren, Maxie, Darling, Hutchinson.

Need to throw to the TE also. He was wide open over the middle every time. The one time they threw to him the pass was behind him and he almost made a circus catch. Rucker will get better each game.

Let Lattimore return some kicks and or punts. He needs more touches but like someone said, can't overuse him and get him hurt early. You can tell he has talent just have to figure out how to get him involved more.
Burg's offense is going to be an ongoing development. Rucker has the tools an the skilled kids are talented. Coaches will figure it out.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:09 pm They have plenty of guys that can run the ball. Warren, Maxie, Darling, Hutchinson.

Good point about the TE. Looked like IHS was bringing up their safeties to stop the run leaving the deep middle wide open.

Think Rucker couldn’t see it, didn’t have the time, or not confident to throw it over the middle?

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

RBH23 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:11 pm

Good point about the TE. Looked like IHS was bringing up their safeties to stop the run leaving the deep middle wide open.

Think Rucker couldn’t see it, didn’t have the time, or not confident to throw it over the middle?
I think he had the time and could see him. Burg QB's normally don't check off from the called play and they don't call plays for the TE. I felt they didn't throw near enough to Arthur last year.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Looking for Burg to get out of the gates earlier in this one so they should have to fight from behind as of last week.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

BURG in a close one as they continue to evolve as an offense. Another tough match up.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

I think Burgs offense will be just fine once Rucker settles down and the game slows down for him. He just looked nervous and anxious against Ironton and tried to force some throws but I think he will be just fine and look forward to see any changes on offense this week and watch Rucker hopefully mature and settle in.. Go Burg!!

Burg grad 85
522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

scott1297 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:10 pm I think Burgs offense will be just fine once Rucker settles down and the game slows down for him. He just looked nervous and anxious against Ironton and tried to force some throws but I think he will be just fine and look forward to see any changes on offense this week and watch Rucker hopefully mature and settle in.. Go Burg!!
I think these first three weeks will pay huge dividends in the development of the young QB. Weeks 4 and 5, he should be able to build confidence and then another stiff test week 6. Like everyone else I’d like to see us win every game but if the last couple years have shown me anything it’s that we should continue to improve weekly and be a tough out come playoffs.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

I think the Pirates right the ship and get the W in a close one.

WWE HALL OF FAME
TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Feels like a game Wheelersburg should win but McNichols could get if Wheelersburg bring their B- game. I’ll say Wheelersburg wins by 7 with a 4th quarter drive, 28-21

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I’ll take Burg by a score of 31-20. McNick had some solid skill guys last year, but was weak on their lines on both sides of the ball. Burg should be able to get the running game going and Rucker will be a lot more comfy at home.*

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Burg will be fine, from what I saw against Ironton. I wasn't a fan of putting the ball in the QBs hand in the red zone. I dont think he is ready to carry the team. Like most Burg posters have said, get the ball in Lattimore's hands, early and often. Not utilizing your playmakers to the fullest is silly, IMO.

Burg's defense will carry the day

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Game moved to 8pm fyi. Gonna be a late night for McNich.

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

This should be a good one. Last years game was a battle if I remember right Burg was down and recovered a few onside kicks to get back In game. Burg ran all well in this game but had trouble stopping Mcnicholas passing game and skill position. I would love to hear any more input on tonight’s matchup. I do have to say to my fellow Burg fans…Week 1 vs Ironton is over with and done. Ironton won and it was a heck of a game but no need to continue to argue/dwell on it👍👍So let’s move to week 2 and focus on this very good team out
Of Cincy👍

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

TomUnessa wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:09 pm This should be a good one. Last years game was a battle if I remember right Burg was down and recovered a few onside kicks to get back In game. Burg ran all well in this game but had trouble stopping Mcnicholas passing game and skill position. I would love to hear any more input on tonight’s matchup. I do have to say to my fellow Burg fans…Week 1 vs Ironton is over with and done. Ironton won and it was a heck of a game but no need to continue to argue/dwell on it👍👍So let’s move to week 2 and focus on this very good team out
Of Cincy👍
I would expect McNich to look the same as last year. The QB Burg saw last year was their sophomore backup; starter went down in the first game. Not sure if their top RB is back or not.

Hopefully Burg can control the pace using their run game.

Return to “Football”