August 18, 2023 Ironton 17 - 14 Wheelersburg

osu 77
All State

Re: Wheelersburg @ Ironton Week 1

Post by osu 77 »

gobucs20 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:03 pm Don't think I've ever seen a more undisciplined performance than Ironton’s tonight. Coaches should be embarrassed.
Embarrassed that they won really!

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I understand this being the first game but my goodness. Undisciplined is putting it mildly. 1st and goal at the 10yd line with under 2 minutes in the game and you don't take knees to run out the clock! They gave Burg another shot. Oh well. Plenty of time to correct the errors.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

FIDO wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:10 pm 11 penalties on Ironton.
This has always been a problem under pendleton

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

goUK wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:09 pm
FIDO wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:10 pm 11 penalties on Ironton. :shock:
This has always been a problem under Pendleton
It's that Sider blood comin' through!

Congrats to Coach Pendleton on another W over the 'burg. Looked like a game 1 for both teams. Both teams looked really good (In regard to talent,) and will be the favorites in their respective conferences.
Last edited by vladimir on Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The best things in life: To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!- Conan the Barbarian
Nicknevada86
Varsity

Post by Nicknevada86 »

I was close great game

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

goUK wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:09 pm
FIDO wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:10 pm 11 penalties on Ironton.
This has always been a problem under pendleton
He made reference to this on Iheartradio pre-game interview indirectly.

He mentioned the team likes to play on the edge & be aggressive & HE takes slack for it all year.

I think you can play aggressive & Play on the edge be successful & still have a few penalties.

NOT DOUBLE DIGIT PENALTIES IN NEARLY EVERY GAME.

Tigers gotta clean this up … QUICKLY!

#GoTgo

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Hated to lose this one but a really good game.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Don’t think either side feels they played even average. Ironton’s personal fouls are inexcusable. Had to win the game 2 or 3 times because of it.

Hoping we see that one again.

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

FIDO wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:16 pm I'd figure out a way to get Terry the ball as often as possible in space.

Why is Thacker running so much? There's a definite drop-off in QB play from last year but it's the first game

Burg's line play is better, so far. 2 horrible interceptions but still tied ballgame.

The pillar on the visitors side blocks half the endzone while watching mytowntv. :)
There is going to be a huge drop off in QB play for the Tigers this year in the PASSING game. Thacker is not Carpenter. That said, Thacker is going to be very valuable in the run game and he can throw it when necessary. His feet will help open up the pass. Our run game needs to get better. Williams is our clear #1 but has to hold on to the football. After Williams, Carmon and Copas need to be given some carries. We’ll get better, a win is a win and we’ll take it.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

You all are just haters, whiners and are pathetic. Ironton won again and should be ashamed???? Lol that is funny—tuck your tail and take another loss. Sick of hearing all of you-Pendleton beat Wheelersburg AGAIN!!’

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

GoBigI wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:32 pm
FIDO wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:16 pm I'd figure out a way to get Terry the ball as often as possible in space.

Why is Thacker running so much? There's a definite drop-off in QB play from last year but it's the first game

Burg's line play is better, so far. 2 horrible interceptions but still tied ballgame.

The pillar on the visitors side blocks half the endzone while watching mytowntv. :)
There is going to be a huge drop off in QB play for the Tigers this year in the PASSING game. Thacker is not Carpenter. That said, Thacker is going to be very valuable in the run game and he can throw it when necessary. His feet will help open up the pass. Our run game needs to get better. Williams is our clear #1 but has to hold on to the football. After Williams, Carmon and Copas need to be given some carries. We’ll get better, a win is a win and we’ll take it.
Typical sloppy game by the Tigers. Undisciplined as usual. Hart would be my #1 back. Williams dropping the ball twice is bad but not as bad as his blocking outta the backfield. He is better than that, but I'd make him prove it. I agree on Carmon and Copas getting carries. A win is a win, but starting off the same old way with penalties and turnovers. And they will do it game after game.

Yh8awinner
Freshman Team

Post by Yh8awinner »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:32 pm You all are just haters, whiners and are pathetic. Ironton won again and should be ashamed???? Lol that is funny—tuck your tail and take another loss. Sick of hearing all of you-Pendleton beat Wheelersburg AGAIN!!’
You're the one that's pathetic. Get on here and cry about people "whining". Your own people are even pointing out how undisciplined his teams are! Hell, he even gave burg a chance to tie or win the game with his horrible micromanaging play calling to easily close out the game just to try and get some style points. Once again he shows he is not a good coach.

TigerFella
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFella »

Another classic from Ironton and Burg. Defenses really settled in for the second half. I’m not going to judge the passing game much yet as even with Tayden last year we did not pass the ball well at all against Burg. Burg is very disciplined in pass defense. It was nice to see Ironton get some good pash rush. On to next week!

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

frankie wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:43 pm
GoBigI wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:32 pm

Typical sloppy game by the Tigers. Undisciplined as usual. Hart would be my #1 back. Williams dropping the ball twice is bad but not as bad as his blocking outta the backfield. He is better than that, but I'd make him prove it. I agree on Carmon and Copas getting carries. A win is a win, but starting off the same old way with penalties and turnovers. And they will do it game after game.
Williams and Carmon are both better than Hart, Copas may be as well. I would use Hart at the TE spot in run situations. Williams’ burst and Carmon’s balance provide a great 1-2 punch. I could even see Copas and Hart rotating at the FB with Williams and Carmon at the HB.

frankie
Varsity

Post by frankie »

Williams needs to learn how to block first. He didn't touch anyone blocking tonight and carried the ball like a sack of potatoes. From what I saw tonight, I'd take Hart. And give the others some carries, too.

522Pirate
Varsity

Post by 522Pirate »

Another slugfest...way too many penalties on both sides...some head scratchers of play calls for both squads as well

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Congrats Tigers on the win!!

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy play by both teams Dumb penalties and big turnovers by both teams.

Don’t understand why Lattimore isn’t returning kicks or punts. He is a 4 year varsity starter and probably the fastest player on the team.

Also, not a fan of the wildcat Burg ran. Big turnover out of that. Two turnovers inside the 10 that could have led to at least a potential 6 points for Burg. They lost by 3!!

On a side note!! WTH Ironton was going on with no concession stands open up when the gates opened and then had no pizza being delivered until 6:45? Did someone forget that there was the chance for a pretty big crowd to be there! PPP on someone!!

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:04 pm Congrats Tigers on the win!!

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy play by both teams Dumb penalties and big turnovers by both teams.

Don’t understand why Lattimore isn’t returning kicks or punts. He is a 4 year varsity starter and probably the fastest player on the team.

Also, not a fan of the wildcat Burg ran. Big turnover out of that. Two turnovers inside the 10 that could have led to at least a potential 6 points for Burg. They lost by 3!!

On a side note!! WTH Ironton was going on with no concession stands open up when the gates opened and then had no pizza being delivered until 6:45? Did someone forget that there was the chance for a pretty big crowd to be there! PPP on someone!!
Blame the band!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

TigerBob wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:08 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:04 pm Congrats Tigers on the win!!

Blame the band!

For both concession stands!! They lost a LOT of money tonight by not opening the one by the band until 6:15. Gates opened at 5:30. The one on the other end didn’t open up until around 6:45.

GoBigI
Freshman Team

Post by GoBigI »

frankie wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:02 pm Williams needs to learn how to block first. He didn't touch anyone blocking tonight and carried the ball like a sack of potatoes. From what I saw tonight, I'd take Hart. And give the others some carries, too.
I’ve watched the majority of practices this year and Williams is the clear #1 back. He blocked from the FB position extremely well last year in the Regional Championship and State Semi Final game. The kid can run the ball and the kid can block. Carmon looks great in practice and is very physical. He finds holes and gets into them quickly. I’ve watched Hart run into the back of his own linemen numerous times in practice and he did it again several times tonight. Maybe his field vision will improve as the year progresses but right now he’s a #3-#4 back at best in this group. He’s never seen the type of competition we’ll be playing this year. I believe he could make a great FB, just not a HB.

Return to “Football”